Arcadia Imperial Stout - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Imperial StoutArcadia Imperial Stout

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

OG 1090; 59 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-09-2003)
Reviews by GreenWBush:
GreenWBush

Oregon

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

I have no original review to compare this 2003 vintage against, so alas...

This beer is a plunging darkness with a shag-carpet of foam and lace.

The nose leans towards the mildly boozy and vinous. Heady whiffs of raisins, brown sugar, and deep roast intermingle on the nose. Spicy hardwoods, sawdust.

Taste remains filled with the essense of licorice that once dominated this beer, but is now more fleshed out with hints of deep carmelized toffee and fresh coffee grounds.

Complex and well-blended, this beer has aged very well and stands as one of the few that have improved with time. I just wish the mouthfeel was a bit beefier, but still quite drinkable.

01-11-2006 16:29:27 | More by GreenWBush

07-12-2014 22:54:51 | More by bigaddy
MDDMD

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-brown black color with a decent tan head and good lacing

S-chocolate, licorice, coffee, dark malt, dark fruit

T-dark roasted malt, molasses, licorice, chocolate, little coffee

F-medium body with light to moderate carbonation, smooth

O-decent imperial stout, pleasant sipping

07-11-2014 17:44:46 | More by MDDMD

06-04-2014 02:30:20 | More by wrightst
TongoRad

2.94/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I admit that I have a soft spot for beers that are what they say they are, pure and unadorned; I'm an Imperial Stout, dammit!. That being said, ultimately the experience has to speak for itself.

This one presents a lot of what you'd expect- bitter chocolatey mocha, dark fruits, blackstrap molasses-type flavors, licorice, warming alcohol, and plenty of bitterness to keep it all in check. Unfortunately, it comes across as being disjointed and out of whack- and the alcohol and blackstrap (which should be supporting players at best) are leading the pack. It winds up being an OK beer that should be better; but sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

06-02-2014 00:56:57 | More by TongoRad

sblanton83

05-05-2014 01:19:33 | More by sblanton83
Alextricity

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

$4 single that I've seen at my bottle shop for quite awhile (recognized its scratched cap). The price seemed a bit high, especially considering I'm generally not TOO impressed with Arcadia's offerings, but I went for it anyway. Label says 2010 vintage, but bottled 10/24/11, so since it has quite a lot of age on it (2.5 years), I'm looking forward to it -- I haven't had many beers aged for long because I tend to drink them soon after I buy them. Strange to think that this beer was bottled before I even started drinking beer.

Appearance: Pouring aggressively as possible without splashing it all outside of my glass, I got a two finger, creamy mocha colored head that died down to half a finger pretty quickly. The beer is completely pitch black as well.

Smell: Dark chocolate, cocoa powder, roasted malts, coffee, a fair amount of dark fruits, and also a bit of alcohol? If there is, it's really just an essence. Really smells outstanding to me, and I figure the aging has something to do with that. Maybe a little less pungent than it would smell if it were fresh though.

Taste/feel: Really quite nice and actually quite a bit different than some other Imperial Stouts I've had. First thing I noticed was a bit of a disappointing feel on this. It felt about medium bodied at first, but then somehow seemed to get a bit watery mid-sip? Very strange. The mouthfeel's a bit of a downer, considering I expected my Imperial Stouts to drink almost like a meal, but I can live with it if the beer tastes good -- and this one does. No doubt the aging added some complexity, and this one has quite a bit of it. Right off, I get dark fruity flavors first and foremost. Rest of the way, it's extremely awesomely tasty dark chocolate, roasty notes with coffee, and a slight char. The aftertaste is almost oaky? I like to liken it to a plain cake doughnut sort of flavor. It's a flavor I tend to get in BBA'd stouts, but I get it faintly in this one. I'm surprised the bottle lists this at 90 IBUs, because it's very slightly bitter... probably even less bitter or equally as bitter as a standard cup of black coffee. The thing I still can't get over is the fantastic, lingering roasty aftertaste that has the slightest bit of oaky/doughnut flavor in it... it gives the sensation that it was maybe partially aged in bourbon barrels, even though it wasn't.

This is a very, very good beer. My one knock on it is the mouthfeel, as I really wish it was a bit more beefed up. I cant argue with the rest of what's here though, this is a damn fine Imperial Stout from Arcadia. I have no idea how it tastes fresh, but it's pretty impressive with 2.5 years on it.

05-04-2014 16:50:43 | More by Alextricity
MikeWard

05-01-2014 21:47:40 | More by MikeWard
mchenry1313

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

04-28-2014 00:58:37 | More by mchenry1313
lochef81

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

I've been sitting on this one for about a year, excited to see how it goes down. The pour is a handsome black with a generous tan head that quickly gives way to a nice film and lacing. The nose is overwhelmed by vanilla and coffee. Lots of roasted malt notes as well. The aroma seems like it should be good but something is off in it. The off notes ease off as the stout sits and settles. The mouthfeel is nice and rich. Just the right body for the style. The flavor is quite sweet and malty. An abundance of coffee, caramel, and vanilla dominate. Unfortunately the chemically off note of the nose continues to rear its ugly head in the mouth. This RIS is good but not great. I'd gladly enjoy one here or there but definitely not seek it out.

04-25-2014 04:51:05 | More by lochef81
AndyEdgar

04-19-2014 01:41:54 | More by AndyEdgar
BeerForMuscle

04-13-2014 15:04:11 | More by BeerForMuscle
lurpy1

2.4/5  rDev -37%

Acadia makes some underrated beers but this was not one of them. The finish on the taste was an unpleasant burnt chemical sensation. This of course created some related burn going down. I was able to power through the bottle, but I really mean I had to power through it. Not an easy beer to finish. Not recommended.

04-09-2014 00:55:07 | More by lurpy1