Arcadia Imperial Stout - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Imperial StoutArcadia Imperial Stout

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

OG 1090; 59 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Imperial Stout Alström Bros
WuAnquo1

4.78/5  rDev +25.5%

Arcadia Imperial Stout
12 oz bottle
Bottled winter '05 (6 pk), basked in its glory 10/06
Medium pour in an English pint

Poured black with a large creamy somewhat lasting light brown head with a small ring of lacing.

Smelt strongly of burnt molasses and roasted coffee, some fainter dark chocolates and dark berries, kinda jammy.

Taste was upfront moderate dark chocolate with a tinge of sweet fruity esters, some faint sour banana and apple, followed by a strong bitter burnt smokey taste with some creamy feel and light grassy hops on the average to long finish. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, creamy, velvety, caressing, softly carbonated, lightly astringent.

Overall, almost perfect. The finish could use a bit more length, and the flavor could be amped up just a bit. As this is a year old brew, these factors could have died down a bit, for a year old imperial stout, this one is as close to perfect as I've yet to have. Bonus mystery sludge at the bottom too!

11-01-2006 06:53:54 | More by xav33
mchenry1313

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

04-28-2014 00:58:37 | More by mchenry1313
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

06-23-2012 20:26:12 | More by sliverX
becktone

4.65/5  rDev +22%

From notes 10-27-08

2006 Vintage...Even though I work at the Party Source in Bellevue, KY, I didn't realize that there were some 2006 vintage left on the shelves. Thanks to Craig/Brewdlyhooked13 for pointing them out to me.

First of all let me state that I've not been visited any Arcadia beer in quite a while. The first and only time I tried it I bought a mixed 12 of their "core" brews. Haven't tried any of their higher end brews. I hope I've a better experience with the higher end of their brew than I did with the "core" brews.

Eye: Black body, no light on a moonless night. Basically no light is diffusing through this beer giving any indication of its clarity or highlights....Heh..heh..hehh (evilly) just the way an Imperial Stout should be. I've only one qualm with this brew's appearnce and this is the lack of head formation, retention, and lacing. It is a sickly looking blanket about ready to dry rot. I mean if you were to wash this blanket you've have naught but lint once the cycle was complete...now how is that going to keep you warm on a cold winter night?....Less you stuff a jacket with it, and I'm not all about wearing jackets to bed less I am homless and as of now I am not. Now if I were I wouldn't be drinking this beer, but I'd like the idea of stuffing a jacket with dryer lint. Lets just hope with the upcoming election that I don't become homless because another dumbass president kills, or does his best to kill, the economy....sorrry for the rant.

Nose: Strong, very strong dark malt aroma and alcohol fill the room once this brew is decanted from its twelve ounce jail. When I first put my nose to the glass I pull away and think for a minute..."What the Hell was that?" I soon realize before I go to take another whif that some unconscious part of my brain that has lain dormant for many upon many moons recoginized that aroma to be like that of the berries from Captain Crunch Crunch Berries. Upon second smell the aroma rings true...how about we just say that it is fruity. Anyway you look at it I really like the aroma of this beer. Strong dark chocolate malt and some dark fruit aromas, and some french vanilla aromas in there as well (french vanilla as is found in coffee). Awesome aroma, I can only hope that the beer is as good on the palate. Very impressed with this offering from Arcadia, the first Arcadia purchase I've made that I've been satisfied with.

Tongue: Nice flavor overall. It finishes with a very distinctly mocha flavor. The way if finishes quite reminds me of the overall taste of Starbucks Frappucino. There's quite a nice malt profile here, when it first hits the lips it quite reminds me of a Belgian brown-malt qualities only. Alcohol is able to be picked up as well...and then there's the dark fruity esters that come through in here just as they did in the aroma. Nice chocolate and fruity finish, the real nice blend of those in the finish sell me on this beer. I really like this one, I don't see anything wrong with it. This is one enjoyable beer. Think I'll pick up the freshest vintage I can find and see how it compares then cellar or drink depending on results. But as for now this is drinking real fine. HELL YEAH!

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth this one is thick, sure not as thick as Dark Lord, but there was some Dark Lord thick-like qualities to it as it rolled cross the palate...there was what felt like a thick film that left itself on the tongue after being swallowed, yeah it sounds gross, but it really is great for this beer. Real nice mouthfeel as it should be for the style and better than most of the same style that I've had. Drinkabilty on this guy is hard...Since it is aged two years. Right now it is drinking religously, great, awesome. I can't tell you how well it drinks though fresh (so unfortulately it is reflected in the score). And if it only drinks this well after two years than that is a shame, because I'm telling you right now that this one is probably better at two years than fresh...just a hunch. Right now it seems perfect. I am really impressed with this beer. If you have it then age it for 2.5 to 3 years (as it is almost the turn of the year, but then again I don't know which month this was bottled). Easy drinker and just great, I'm really happy with this one.

11-09-2008 17:29:10 | More by becktone
corby112

4.65/5  rDev +22%

Pours pitch black with a thin coffe colored head that settles into a lacing that lasts. Roasted chocolate malty aroma with coffee, sugar cane, whiskey and vanilla notes. Very quaffable with a lot of malty flavor as well as a slightly bitter hop and oak presence. Roasted coffee and sweet alcohol/ whiskey in the finish.

12-10-2008 01:06:32 | More by corby112
pmcadamis

4.63/5  rDev +21.5%

A - I like the simple, but nice label that reminds me of the cold months of winter as I sweat my nuts off in this 90 degree heat. Deep mahogany brown ...almost black in the glass, but you can see the murky brown-ness during the pour. the head is fluffy at about two fingers, and lots of really fluffy lace gives us a clue as to how thick this one is. The color of the head is almost reddish brown in hue....like cedar wood.

S - Rich chocolate notes abound. Bitter bakers chocolate, rich dark chocolate, and a woody sawdust smell that reminds me of my grandpa's basement woodshop. There is a smoky element to this that is quite alluring. Nice.

T - Bitter espresso and salty dark chocolate. Again, this has a very roasty and woody taste that I'm really enjoying. The hops are coming in with force as the sip progresses to a swallow, and the interplay of bitter sappy hops with bitter bean espresso and salt is pretty cool.

M - Rich, silky, and satiny carbonation combines with a full buxom body to make this a brew worth savoring. This feels like putting an expensive Japanese silk kimono in your mouth. 'm reminded of the crema that sits atop a good cup of espresso....this is that damn silky and rich.

D - A simply killer beer. Kicking ass all over the place, this is a very impressive effort from Arcadia. I'll buy this again for sure.

07-15-2008 04:13:46 | More by pmcadamis
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.63/5  rDev +21.5%

on tap at the international tap house. dark as night with light head. smell was typical imperial stout, roasted malts were apparent. the taste is what really took me. perfect blends with light coffee up front and chocolate through the finish. alcohol was barely noticeable and the malts were balanced. the mouthfeel was pretty perfect, carbonation was not too light like some stouts. i could drink these all night and i just may.

01-31-2009 14:24:03 | More by hooliganlife
brewbucker

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%

Tasted on Jan 18, 2007. 12 oz. 2005 vintage. Pours jet black with a dark tan head. The bottle still had a big lump of sludge stuck to bottom after I poured it. I think I am in for a treat here. The aroma is unreal ! ! ! Massive malted, roasted coffee, and dense ripened fruits. Flavor is liquid heaven. BIG black currants and creamy malts. Touches of roasted nuts and coffee also. This must really be hit and miss because I cannot believe some of the low ratings. Maybe the 2005 was a HIT ! . WHY IN THE HELL DID I ONLY BUY ONE BOTTLE ! ! ! ! ! Bravo Arcadia. BRAVO ! ! !

12-17-2008 21:16:24 | More by brewbucker
jcnd9803

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

A: A deep dark black color, with no head whatsoever. But, when you move it around in the glass, there's actually some serious tracing.

S: The smell is great. Loaded with chocolate, coffee, dark fruit and roasted malts. Also, a nice touch of hops.

T: Very rich and malty with creamy flavors of milk chocolate and coffee up front and background flavors of dark fruits. There's also a complimentary hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: This is enjoyable. I really think Arcadia is an outstanding brewery with a signature malt flavor that rocks, and this beer basically amps that up. A very flavorful big stout that is worth drinking repeatedly if you're in the mood for the style.

02-26-2010 03:28:35 | More by jcnd9803
kwalters

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

Unforgettable! This was my first ever imperial stout and I simply won't forget the experience.

There was very little head as I poured this yummy libation into my glass. The color was a deep, dark brown with just a few hints of crimson red. The aroma was more pleasant and telling of the this brew's potency.

The taste: Fantastic! Admittedly, this tasted much more like a barely wine than I would have thought, but that may be par for the course when sampling imperial stouts. Yes, it had an oily texture and was thick and chewy, but I savored each sip. This one is heavy on the malts with a good balance of hops, but nothing is overpowering in and of itself. I could take down two of these bad boys, but that would be where I'd draw the line.

01-26-2004 15:02:16 | More by kwalters
LairdChisholm

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Pours a jet black color. Absolutely no head or lacing.

S - Smelled this one coming out of the bottle. There are some deep roasted malts, coco, fig, and plum, in that order.

T - This one has three very distinct layers that are all very good. The first one has deep, warming roasted malts with a little boozy feel. The second has dark fruits, plums, figs, and dark cherries. The third is a warming bitter coco aftertaste that finishes this stout of very nicely.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation with a sticky heavy mouthfeel. Very consistent with this style.

D - This is a good stout but I don't need to another right away. It's a sipper for sure, even though I've seen RIS's with lower ABV. A good brew over all.

12-17-2010 02:53:25 | More by LairdChisholm

Quik4life3

06-22-2012 03:25:53 | More by Quik4life3
ultralarry2006

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Leaves one finger of an espresso foam colored head that quickly fades to a foam ring at the edge, and it leaves some isolated spots of lacing. Body is black.

Smell - chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, burnt crust malt bread, and hints of dark fruits like raisins, plums, prunes, and cherries.

Taste - exactly like the smell. Chocolate, roasted malt, burnt crust malt bread, and richly roasted coffee all flood the tongue. There are also hints of raisins, plums, prunes, and cherries on the finish, and on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - full bodied.

Drinkability - this is very good, only the high abv limits sessionability.

03-23-2008 00:08:47 | More by ultralarry2006
Stevie_Janowski

10-20-2012 04:14:09 | More by Stevie_Janowski
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Glistening, inky black with garnet accents. Atop the liquid is a large cap that is the color of a chocolate milkshake with nearly the same creamy thickness. A slooow deflation is followed by the appearance of a few thick shards of lace on the upper reaches of the glass. Only a relative lack of glass coverage keeps it from scoring higher in the appearance department.

The nose is powerful and concentrated. There's plenty of heavily roasted black patent malt and anise as well as a leavening fruitiness that just has to be hops. Please be hops. Wait, there's more... bittersweet chocolate and blackstrap molasses round out the scent-o-rama. Very, very nice.

This is a beautiful Imperial stout! The flavor profile consists of, in descending order: sweet black malt, anise, molasses, dark chocolate and hops. Coffee/espresso flavors are lacking for the most part. Imperial Stout is seamlessly integrated and is as smooth as a baby's butt. There's a mildly bitter bite from charred malt--or maybe hops--although the beer is far from astringent or harsh.

The 8.4% ABV is nearly unnoticed on the palate. It isn't all that warming in the mouth or the esophagus, but is nicely toasty in the belly. Although I love its silky smooth creaminess, the medium-full body is probably on the lighter end if compared to some of the giants of the style. I'm enjoying the hell out of the long, increasingly hoppy finish.

Arcadia Imperial Stout is excellent beer. It isn't what anyone would call extreme, but is a well crafted, exceedingly tasty, eminently drinkable take on the style. Maybe it's the fact that I haven't had a good hearty stout in a while, but this one hit the spot in a big way.

02-20-2005 00:38:31 | More by BuckeyeNation
brewdlyhooked13

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Hello, what's this? A 2006 vintage among the single bottles...*take*...

Appearance - an opaque black brew. A thin cover of wispy cocoa-colored bubbles. Some light negligible lace. The beer maintains a solid collar.

Aroma - intense roasted grain, chocolate, molasses, some vanilla with warming. Smells like an imperial stout ought to.

Taste - roasty, toasty grains to start. Chocolate syrup with a touch of alcohol follows. A bare trace of bitterness on the swallow, mellow and complementary. Finishes toasty with espresso notes.

Mouthfeel - a touch thin for the style but a nice smoothness, enhancing the weight.

Drinkability - a delicious warm treat on a cool fall evening.

09-30-2008 02:52:25 | More by brewdlyhooked13
zerk

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours an opaque black with a thin but persistent tan head, leaving behind no lace. Aroma of anise, chocolate, and coffee with some sour cherry thrown in. Flavor begins somewhat smokey and sweet, with roasted malt, coffee, and a heavy dose of chocolate, then becomes slightly vinous. Moutfeel is smooth and creamy, but somewhat light in body for the style. The lighter body does improve drinkablity however, and with the high ABV well hidden, this could be a truely dangerous beer! All in all, a very good Imperial Stout.

01-29-2004 21:26:10 | More by zerk