Arcadia Imperial Stout - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Imperial StoutArcadia Imperial Stout

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

OG 1090; 59 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-09-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Arcadia Imperial Stout Alström Bros

Latarnik, Jun 01, 2014

Hopstout, May 21, 2014

sblanton83, May 05, 2014
4.15/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

$4 single that I've seen at my bottle shop for quite awhile (recognized its scratched cap). The price seemed a bit high, especially considering I'm generally not TOO impressed with Arcadia's offerings, but I went for it anyway. Label says 2010 vintage, but bottled 10/24/11, so since it has quite a lot of age on it (2.5 years), I'm looking forward to it -- I haven't had many beers aged for long because I tend to drink them soon after I buy them. Strange to think that this beer was bottled before I even started drinking beer.

Appearance: Pouring aggressively as possible without splashing it all outside of my glass, I got a two finger, creamy mocha colored head that died down to half a finger pretty quickly. The beer is completely pitch black as well.

Smell: Dark chocolate, cocoa powder, roasted malts, coffee, a fair amount of dark fruits, and also a bit of alcohol? If there is, it's really just an essence. Really smells outstanding to me, and I figure the aging has something to do with that. Maybe a little less pungent than it would smell if it were fresh though.

Taste/feel: Really quite nice and actually quite a bit different than some other Imperial Stouts I've had. First thing I noticed was a bit of a disappointing feel on this. It felt about medium bodied at first, but then somehow seemed to get a bit watery mid-sip? Very strange. The mouthfeel's a bit of a downer, considering I expected my Imperial Stouts to drink almost like a meal, but I can live with it if the beer tastes good -- and this one does. No doubt the aging added some complexity, and this one has quite a bit of it. Right off, I get dark fruity flavors first and foremost. Rest of the way, it's extremely awesomely tasty dark chocolate, roasty notes with coffee, and a slight char. The aftertaste is almost oaky? I like to liken it to a plain cake doughnut sort of flavor. It's a flavor I tend to get in BBA'd stouts, but I get it faintly in this one. I'm surprised the bottle lists this at 90 IBUs, because it's very slightly bitter... probably even less bitter or equally as bitter as a standard cup of black coffee. The thing I still can't get over is the fantastic, lingering roasty aftertaste that has the slightest bit of oaky/doughnut flavor in it... it gives the sensation that it was maybe partially aged in bourbon barrels, even though it wasn't.

This is a very, very good beer. My one knock on it is the mouthfeel, as I really wish it was a bit more beefed up. I cant argue with the rest of what's here though, this is a damn fine Imperial Stout from Arcadia. I have no idea how it tastes fresh, but it's pretty impressive with 2.5 years on it.

Alextricity, May 04, 2014

MikeWard, May 01, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

mchenry1313, Apr 28, 2014
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

I've been sitting on this one for about a year, excited to see how it goes down. The pour is a handsome black with a generous tan head that quickly gives way to a nice film and lacing. The nose is overwhelmed by vanilla and coffee. Lots of roasted malt notes as well. The aroma seems like it should be good but something is off in it. The off notes ease off as the stout sits and settles. The mouthfeel is nice and rich. Just the right body for the style. The flavor is quite sweet and malty. An abundance of coffee, caramel, and vanilla dominate. Unfortunately the chemically off note of the nose continues to rear its ugly head in the mouth. This RIS is good but not great. I'd gladly enjoy one here or there but definitely not seek it out.

lochef81, Apr 25, 2014

AndyEdgar, Apr 19, 2014

BeerForMuscle, Apr 13, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -37%

Acadia makes some underrated beers but this was not one of them. The finish on the taste was an unpleasant burnt chemical sensation. This of course created some related burn going down. I was able to power through the bottle, but I really mean I had to power through it. Not an easy beer to finish. Not recommended.

lurpy1, Apr 09, 2014

stortore, Mar 07, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

RusImpStoLuv, Feb 25, 2014
3.64/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle courtesy of fthomasl pours a nice black color with a bubbly tan head. Retention is just ok, but lacing is quite nice.

Nose is dark fruits galore with some cocoa dust and alcohol.

Taste is a nice treat, flows from fruit to chalk to licorice/chocolate malt and finishes with a leafy hop dryness. Its pretty decent, I didnt think I would like it from the smell, but it is not a bad little quaffer. Mouthfeel is thin and it has very little sweetness to buoy the richness factor. Id buy this in a sixer at a good price....not bad...not bat at all.

twiggamortis420, Feb 22, 2014
3.91/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle into tulip. 2010 vintage. Holy shit, I just noticed that on the label now. bought this bottle about a month ago. no clue it was this old. excited to see how it held up.

A: pours very dark. almost black. head is coffee hued. good retention, reasonable lacing.

S: smells sweet and fruity. almost a little soy-like, reminiscent of autolyzed yeast, but I don't think that's it.

T: a little bit of black licorice. kind of autolyzed? roast, more chocolate though. dark and rich. finish is slightly bitter, but mostly sweet.

M: moderate carb on a full body.

D: the more I drink it, the more I like it. really smooth and rich. what you want a stout of this size to do after 3 or 4 years.

Jimmys, Feb 17, 2014

GABrew, Feb 09, 2014

Kerrie, Feb 03, 2014

TheBeerAlmanac, Jan 19, 2014

dmorgan310, Jan 19, 2014

rkf1976, Jan 01, 2014

Kaveman, Dec 27, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2010 Vintage listed on the bottle

I got a thin, mocha colored head. Body a deep brown bordering on black. Funny how imperial stouts can do that.

Smells bold and roasty. Dark fruit sits in there too. A little vanilla and alcohol on the end.

Roasty malt with dark fruit up front. This beer is subdued and smooth. A little vanilla with a coffee finish.

Smooth from start to finish.

CFHMagnet, Dec 22, 2013