Rapunzel - Arcadia Brewing Company

RapunzelRapunzel

good

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: masey222 on 01-06-2011)
3.63/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light n golden as it pours out of a 12 oz bottle.

Light wheat and yeasty nose.

Zesty citric notes and some pepper and more yeast on the back end

Ehh...not terrible, decent enough sessioner, but nothing special..

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's Rapunzel last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before and a hoppy wheat beer sounds pretty good right now, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it fits the name and it's just a little eye catching. It poured a lightly hazy golden color that took on more of darker golden amber color when held to the light with just a little over two fingers worth of creamy white head that left some nice rings of lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a slightly fruity, earthy and spicy hop aroma, but I also get this weird vegetal aroma that has a slightly rotten aspect to it. Up next comes the malts which impart some wheat, bready, sweet malt and slightly grainy aromas. This beer had an ok aroma, but I could have gone without the light rotten vegetal aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by hops still being the first to show up and they impart all those hoppy aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time it's the spicy hops that really stand out the most. I only get a just a slight hint of of that rotten vegetal aspect that I got in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which are very light and impart a slight wheat, sweet malt and grainy flavors comes through on the aftertaste. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium sweetness that lingers just a little and it had a very spicy hop and light grainy wheat like aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, but i thought the hop profile was too one note and I wish it was more like the hop profile in the aroma.

M- Not the smoothest, pretty crisp, a little prickly, medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but the carbonation could be toned down a little and it could be smoother.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok, and I thought it was a very average example of the style, almost every aspect had something off with it and in the end that made for a a beer that was for sure rough around the edges and it wasn't as balanced and as tasty as I would like. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't smoothest, it was pretty crisp, a little prickly, not filling and the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it was the only aspect that didn't have anything wrong with it and I thought it was just a good looking beer. What I like the least about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were disappointing and they really didn't have the nice balance that I look for in this style and I also didn't like that rotten vegetal aspect. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it either, I don't think it's a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, Arcadia is a good brewery, but I think they dropped the ball with this one, I normally wouldn't expect to get any off aspects in their beer, but this one had more than a few and in the end I just didn't enjoy it. This is now one of the least favorite beers from Arcadia and I think it's on the lower end of the style. Better luck next time guys, this beer needs some work.

3.84/5  rDev +6.4%

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Its like a ass whoopin from a biker mob...and by that i mean that after tastes kicks your ass

3.24/5  rDev -10.2%

4.24/5  rDev +17.5%

4.08/5  rDev +13%

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Chill hazed gold in color, moderate-to-short head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Faint citrus hop note
Taste-Citrus hop, pale wheat, light-bodied but nice hop flavor all around.

Rapunzel from Arcadia Brewing Company