Bourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter - Arcadia Brewing Company

Bourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck PorterBourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jale on 02-01-2011)
theghost3

Louisiana

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to injuredreserve for this gem.

Bottle is waxed & capped.

Pours a deep, dark brown, almost black witha 2-finger cafe au lait head. Smell is strong of bourbon and vanilla with a spiced rum scent at the end. The taste is strong bourbon with toasted coffee malts and just a hint of sour mash in the finish. Medium-bodied, carbonated, and slightly acidic.

This is drinkable considering the 12 percent ABV. The carbonation can be a bit jarring at first, but that's to be expected from a beer aged in bourbon barrels.

04-15-2011 04:19:47 | More by theghost3
bnes09

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark brown and thinner looking than expected in the pour. Pours a pretty thick head with a much better retention than expected.

Smell of smoke, maple and bourbon is complex and inviting.

Flavors are all over the place. Moderate roasted character. Hickory smoke. Maple sweetness. Mild grassy hop. Thick bready flavor. Well balanced also and less alcohol flavor than expected. Aftertaste has a charcoal quality to it which is a little off but the initial flavors are solid.

Not nearly as thick as I expected and this adds to the drinkability a ton. I would actually call it medium-bodied. Good carbonation also. Drying.

I am very impressed with this offering. Expensive but good.

04-15-2011 03:33:44 | More by bnes09
sommersb

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Drinking this to celebrate my son Andy being accepted into college today - a great achievement!

Presentation is a 12 ounce brown bottle, capped and waxed. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance is a solid black, opaque beer. The head is small at about a finger and there's not much lacing. For a big beer like this, that's not surprising.

Smells are very complex and intense. Its difficult to pull out all of the aromas, but the biggest is the bourbon. In addition there are malt aromas such as chocolate, plus vanilla and dark fruits. Smells like this is a sweet beer.

The taste had a 'wow' factor for me due to the richness and complexity. Very strong bourbon character that includes a big, boozy alcohol presence. I really don't get any hop bitterness despite the fact it says 50 IBUs on the label. I suppose that's due to the high malt and alcohol content. Malty sweetness with vanilla were the predominant flavors after the bourbon.

Body was full and chewy, with a pretty high amount of carbonation. The aftertaste had a nice balance between the dryness from the bourbon and malt sweetness.

Overall an outstanding beer. The richness and 12% abv really make this a sipper -- 12 ounces was plenty for me at a sitting.

04-14-2011 03:49:07 | More by sommersb
womencantsail

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to both Mike and Derek for hooking me up with bottles of this beer.

A: The beer pours a very dark brown color with notes of red and a finger of off-white head.

S: Smells like vanilla with notes of bourbon and milk chocolate. A very mild roastiness, some notes of dark fruits. Really quite smooth with a pleasant nose.

T: A nice bourbon bite on the front end with plenty of smooth vanilla. A little bit of cocoa and dark chocolate. Light roasted flavors with just a hint of bitterness.

M: Medium in body with a smooth, medium carbonation.

O: Really heavy on the barrel, but nice flavor and mouthfeel.

04-11-2011 05:35:03 | More by womencantsail
Sean9689

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle poured into Jester King snifter.

A - Pours black, mocha head, spotty lacing, thin film on top.

S - Huge bourbon, vanilla, oak, caramel, chocolate. The bourbon is there, but really, it's very well blended. It's not overpowering at all.

T - Similar to the nose. Lots of bourbon, oak, chocolate, some sweetness from the Baltic Porter base in there as well. The bourbon is big and loud, but adds a huge positive for the beer.

M - Full, rich and viscous, motor oil, creamy finish.

D - Impressive, to say the least. Really hard to find any flaws in this one. Going to have to grab a couple more to cellar. I think a year might turn this into an outstanding beer. Recommend!

04-09-2011 17:17:58 | More by Sean9689
trappistlover

Arizona

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

(12oz bottle courtesy of jcnd9803!!). Pours near balck with thin khaki head. Aroma has lots of bourbon, vanilla, caramel, and some wood. Taste is semi-sweet-not as much as the nose-and it has some roasty bitterness. The flavors are complex with wood, vanilla, dark pit fruit and some coffee stealing the show. The bourbon is not as pronounced as I would have thought through the aroma. Medium bodied with a dry, woody finish. This is a really nice beer

04-07-2011 06:13:04 | More by trappistlover
StoutHunter

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

I got Bourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter for $5 at The Lager Mill. Well it's hard to believe but today marks one year of being on BA. In a year I managed to try almost 150 different beers and I have had lots of fun doing it. In celebration of today I decided to dip into the cellar and pull out something a little special to mark this occasion. I tried the original Shipwreck porter and really liked so I have high hopes for this beer. 2011 Vintage served at cellar temp. Poured from a 12oz waxed brown bottle into a mini snifter.

A- The label on this beer is ok, but I prefer the wrecked ship label of the original, but the fancy red wax dipped bottle makes up for that. This beer poured a very dark brown bordering on black. It had three fingers worth of nice fluffy tan head that died down to a thick ring that left some nice lacing.

S- Man this thing reeks of bourbon, and not some cheap bourbon either, more like some top shelf stuff. I can pick up some nice chocolaty roasted malts, but the bourbon is the main player in the aroma and it doesn't let much else come through.

T- The taste is much more balanced then the aroma. The Baltic Porter base shines through with some nice milk chocolate, bitter coffee, caramel, and toffee flavors that have a nice amount of sweetness to it. The bourbon still remains the major player in this beer as it should be. The combination of bourbon and the base Baltic Porter flavor reminds me of a glass of of chocolate milk with a shot of quality bourbon dropped in for good measure. The alcohol is noticeable and warming but for being 12% its hidden pretty well.

M- Smooth and creamy with a medium full body. It had more carbonation the most beers this big, but I liked it and I thought it worked well with this brew.

Overall this was awesome brew. The combination of top shelf bourbon and sweet dark roasted malts made this a delicious and complex beer. This one is a sipper but every sip just keeps getting better and better, so much so that I start to drink this faster then I should. The original came in a bomber and that worked well for it but this beer is much more suited for a 12oz since the flavors are much more bold and complex, one 12oz bottle is just enough for me. This beer left a nice chocolaty coffee and bourbon flavor aftertaste in my mouth that was nice and made me want to keep sipping. The alcohol is there but its not overpowering, its warming, but never hot. I gave the original Shipwreck Porter an A but this one is slightly better, the extra time spent in the barrel did this beer good and made it much more complex. This was a great beer to celebrate a year of BA with. I am for sure going back and getting a couple more bottles to throw in the cellar and see how they develop over time. I recommend this beer to anyone that like barrel aged beers, the best Arcadia brew I have tried to date.

EDIT- I just had the latest batch from late 2011 and it was just as good with a slightly better aroma, but the wax was much thicker and harder to remove. opening this beer was a bitch but it still one of my favorite barrel aged stouts. it is so smooth and drinkable you would never think it is 12%, simply one awesome brew.

04-07-2011 03:34:41 | More by StoutHunter
Bierguy5

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz bottle, 12% abv. Pours very dark brown to black color. Small tan head fades to a nice ring after a couple minutes, leaving no lace.

Roasty malt, with a nice dark chocolate feel. Some darker caramel notes. Great blend of bourbon and oak here. Some vanilla and slight coconut. The aging adds a wonderful layer, without overwhelming.

Taste is very similar to the nose. Slight sharp, roasty flavor. A bit dry, with some dark chocolate minus the bitterness. Bourbon comes in, lending a warming, boozy feel without dominating. Oak comes in strong, with not much of a vanilla feel. Dry throughout.

Medium body, with a great lighter carbonation, which works very well for this style. Alcohol is felt, but not at the expected level for the strength. The barrel aging added some wonderful character, without dominating. Seems pretty dry, but that may be the only thing I can say. Awesome beer here.

04-07-2011 00:34:32 | More by Bierguy5
output01x

Poured from a 12 oz. wax sealed bottle into a pint glass.

A strong pour yields a nearly 2-finger tan head sitting on a pitch black body. Even when held to light, no traces seem to get through. The head recedes after a few moments leaving only a thin covering. Lacing is moderate.

You can smell the bourbon from across the room as this beer is poured. Upon closer inspection, the bourbon aroma mingles with dark mocha.

Milk chocolate, coffee, caramel, and roasted malt flavors dance together happilly. A slight bourbon warmth pushes the aforementioned flavors away as it dominates at the back of the tongue. Hazelnut comes in after a minute or two as an aftertaste.

Heavy bodied but also heavily carbonated. Somewhat sticky, each sip fizzles in your mouth then coats every inch. Less carbonation would have been preferred as experiencing more of the beginning flavors would make for a more enjoyable tasting.

04-06-2011 15:29:15 | More by output01x
GoldenChild

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

Drank out of a chalice bought for 5.78 12oz bottle dipped in wax

A: Dark but some light does shine through if you look real hard. not a whole ton of head but i didnt give it a very aggressive pour.

S: Bourbon, Oak, Vanilla, and Alcohol.

T: Wow Lots of bourbon, Oak, Slight coffee, Bitter chocolate, Vanilla, and Alcohol.

M: Smooth, Medium body, Low carb

O: The is a amazingly complex brew that leaves this wonderful taste in your mouth a half hour after you have drank it. Due to the high abv its warming all the way down. I sipped on it for around an hour. They have two more bottles of this at the beer shop and i will be going in and grabbing them both. This beer will get better and better with age they are going in my beer celler. I love living in michigan

~Cheers~

04-06-2011 05:00:14 | More by GoldenChild
JamnesCameron

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a jet black with a tan two finger head.

Aromas of vanilla, oak, alcohol.

Flavors of bourbonized mocha coffee shake. Oak, strong vanilla, cocoa, roast coffee, malt sweetness. Very nice, very complex flavor profile. some alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is full, mouthcoating milk stout sweetness, alcohol heat.

Very nice, very complex brew. Nice bourbon flavor. Just a huge freakin beer! so much going on.

04-03-2011 01:19:57 | More by JamnesCameron
CruisaC

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Picked up for $5.99 each (I think) at PartyTown in NKY

Pours a dark coffee with edges of espresso. A fairly thin, fleeting head comes and goes without much in the way of lacing

Smells of roasted coffee beans soaked in bourbon. Overall fairly subtle, especially when compared to some other cousins, namely BCBS

Tastes of roasted malts, coffee, with some bourbon and alcohol on the finish

Mouthfeel is a little thin compared to the body and taste of the beer

It is enjoyable and something I would revisit. At $6 a 12oz bottle and 12% it is a sipper but overall a solid offering. I've got another couple bottles that will be interesting to taste down the road

04-02-2011 01:21:49 | More by CruisaC
Khazadum

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Twenty months in barrels? Yes PLEASE! Popped into a snifter for instant consumption

A- Deep caramel colored froth, decent retention, great lacing. Minor amount of carbonation floating along the edges and up the central column. Pleasing, but not amazing.

S- The vanilla coming off of this is divine. The oak gives off that sweet pleasant aroma, and there is even a bit of char to complement it. The bourbon sweetness is heavy molasses. Candied and very enjoyable. Tainted last whimsies? Something... acrid? no... maybe acidic. Ho hum. Ethanol and something citric.

T- Opens up one of the smoothest and most flavorful 12%'s I've ever had. Definitely some acidic and 'sour' twangs on the first notes. These roll around and wrestle for control with the bourbon right at the start. Similar to the nose the bourbon flavor is molasses and caramel. This isn't sweet enough to last too long. The oak makes its wooden attenuation known quite readily, but the middle is where this beer becomes crazy. That acidity turns itself into a prize fighter and comes out swinging. BAM! a left hook of alcohol. The good stuff, strong, potent, and deliciously melded into the punch. BOOM! A right jab smacks me with full-flavored cheese. Sharp and pungent. Like some aged gouda. All of a sudden I'm down for the count without knowing it and all I'm left feeling is the heat of the attack in my throat, a minute amount of bitterness, and some fantastic roast tingling all around

M/D- Full-bodied and creamy. Tangy and sharp for the finish. The carbonation is light throughout, could be a bit more crisp for me. I think I may want a stronger roasted body. It may have a disconnect for me. Something more fluid and more velvet? I just find myself wanting somewhere. The flavor is off the hook, but the feeling just isn't up to par. Either way, good beer. Would gladly drink it again.

03-31-2011 00:14:55 | More by Khazadum
Dan3279

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

In my search for KBS several people suggested this Porter to me as a substitue. I cracked open the red waxed bottle tonight and really enjoyed the experience.

It took me over an hour to enjoy the expereince of drinking this beer. Being a big bourbon lover I always look forward to the barrel aged beers and this one definalty holds its own against the best.

The appearance was a deep dark dark brown. The smell seemed to be dominated by the bourbon with a small hint of malts & chocolate. The taste was domiated by the bourbon but at the same time it came across balanced with the alchol & carbination.

Though I took my time sipping the beer I found the drinkability very easy and enjoyable.

All in all it met my expectations and I hope to pick up several more bottles for special occasions.

03-28-2011 23:58:43 | More by Dan3279
cetherid

Indiana

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer looks like your standard baltic porter. Midnight black. About a fingers worth of frothy tan head. A little similar to say a cola head.

S.

Aroma on this beer is fantastic. Smells of vanilla, oak, and bourbon/booze dominate the aroma. A little sweet chocolatey aroma in this as well. As it warms up, a strong alcohol aroma is coming out of this...maybe just a tad too boozy.
T.

Similar to nose with the sweet dark malts (almost like chocolate and caramel) and oak notes from the barrel...however the booze is a little too prevalent IMO. Doesn't seem like a high quality bourbon/bourbon barrel either...more of a straight up alcohol taste, like a cheap bottle of booze. Regardless, this is a good example of a barrel aged beer. Not a BCBS or KBS, but very good for a brewery like Arcadia.

M.

A little too thin for me. I'd prefer a thicker beer like Bourbon County Stout. Decent carbonation for the style. Alcohol leaves a warming sensation in the mouth and on the tongue. A good beer to sip on when it's cold.

O.

A pretty impressive barrel aged beer. Not quite up to par with GI but impressive for a relatively small brewery. A little pricey per bottle, but easier to find then say KBS or BCBS. If this were thicker and a little less "heat" this would get a solid A.

03-27-2011 20:47:01 | More by cetherid
BierFan

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce waxed bottle.

Thin light tan head on a completely black body. Beautiful aroma of bourbon, vanilla, oak, and some butterscotch. Almost too much going on in the taste for me to wrap my head around. Sweet, smooth, and very drinkable. Roasty and sweet, followed by bourbon and bitterness. I need to track down more bottles of this one ASAP.

03-23-2011 08:57:13 | More by BierFan
SpdKilz

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

A huge thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for sending me this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours into my badass Darkness Tulip with a completely opaque black. About a finger of mocha colored head is achieved with a moderate pour. The head dissipates slowly leaving slight lacing.

Smell - Wow, massive amazing vanilla aroma up front. This is then overtaken by the oak, coffee, and bourbon. A great chocolatey scent comes through followed by an uncanny butterscotch candy smell (the ones in the shiny gold wrappers that your grandma used to give you). I kid you not, my mouth is salivating.

Taste - So the rumors are true. What a great beer. As I was told by kzoobrew, this does have similar characteristics to BBXXI, however, I do feel the vanilla is more prominent. The flavors are just incredible. As previously mentioned, there is a great real vanilla flavor (let me emphasize this; I've encountered breweries who obviously use fake vanilla extract and believe me, you can tell - it's nasty tasting) that slowly fades to bourbon and oak. Not as much chocolate characteristics as expected but honestly a perfect amount to make that specific flavor meld with the others. Slight coffee bitterness, roasted malts, and just a hint of alcohol. .

Mouthfeel - Velvety smooth, creamy, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - Just a hint of alcohol warmth on the way down, and even less in the flavor. This beer was just sent to me and I can't imagine what a year or two on it would do. It is already practically quaffable for how strong it is. I was hoping not to be let down by this, being a porter lover, and I was most definitely not. I would seek this out in the future for sure. This beer is just SO smooth...I just took a few minute break before posting this to let it warm up even more and my god does it keep getting better as it warms and with every sip. Fantastic.

03-19-2011 02:55:52 | More by SpdKilz
claminat420

3.68/5  rDev -12%

cracked this one on my 25th b-day.

A- poured into my "it's not too expensive, you're too cheap" stone pint glass. nice tannish head. the common stout or porter shade but seems from holding it the beer is less thicker than porters i know. leaving alil lacing.

S- is there alcohol is this thing?? hahaha i'm joshin. you can def smell the booze. i'm detecting a very very slight vannila scent mixed with the fruity yeast. slight raosted smell but mostly blasted by the booze.

T- booze bomb but not in the worse of way. even tho booze is highly detectable it's not too bad with the malts. pretty much same as smell tho.

M- medium/ heavy side. i feel like for a porter this beer is lighter in body compared to founder's porter which i love. not too bad tho. carbonation is pretty good.

Overall- not too shabby of a porter. i feel it fits in the overpriced/ overhyped categories that seem to be about today. um...what happened to drinkability??

03-17-2011 07:05:05 | More by claminat420
EricCioe

Montana

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

This pours a very dark brown with a small, thin khaki head that died away leaving just traces of lace. On the nose, the bourbon, vanilla, and oak are the big three notes, but underneath that is a backbone of roasted malt, some earthiness, and a big of booze. In the mouth, the bourbon takes up residence right on the mid part of the tongue and hangs around, well, forever. There is also a bit of toasted malt, and a big, oaky finish. The alcohol presence is pretty huge, but that's not something to complain about with a bourbon barrel beer. The feel is a slightly sticky medium body, not as thick as some of the bigger stouts that seem heavier on oats, coffee, and chocolate than this beer. Overall I wish this beer had just a bit of a bigger backbone as the bourbon flavors dominated the base beer pretty well, but the end result is pretty great and well worth seeking out.

03-17-2011 01:55:47 | More by EricCioe
jwinship83

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz bottle drank from my stone IRS tulip. this is the first time i have seen an arcadia beer sold in an individual 12oz bottle. i think it cost something like $6.50.

A- this one pours out a very dark brown body, almost completely opaque. a small khaki colored head forms on top. the head is very quick to fade and leaves behind tiny spots of lacing.

S- the barrel aging quickly becomes very evident. lots of bourbon and vanilla. lots of dark roasted malts. pretty boozy.

T- the alcohol/bourbon is the first thing that i pick out of the taste. very strong. after that i get some dark roasted malts and a little bit of coffee. the vanilla/oak comes through, but to a much lesser extent.

M- this one was lighter bodied than i would have expected. lots of warming from the alcohol, but its a 12% beer so its what i would expect.

D- a pretty easy going sipper. take your time with this one, i could see it sneaking up on me if i drank it too quickly. this is something i would like to have another of.

03-16-2011 23:13:18 | More by jwinship83
homebrewhawk

Kansas

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz. wax dipped bottle. Served in a snifter. Poured a deep brown/black with a finger of tan head that quickly dissipates. Lots of whiskey in the aroma along with a little alcohol. Chocolate, vanilla in the flavor. Not as much Bourbon as the aroma would suggest. Long, lingering finish of chocolate and vanilla. Alcohol is pretty well hidden. Body is a little thin. Definitely a sipper. Good beer, plenty of complexity, not just a bunch of bourbon.

03-13-2011 15:10:31 | More by homebrewhawk
Donerik

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

I liked this a lot, if I could only drink this for the rest of my life I wouldn't complain.

A: Black, dark, filled my snifter, minimal head. my only question in the overall presentation is that after popping the top I saw it was a twist off,...wax sealed twistoffs for 6 dollars...

S: great, is great a smell? bourbon, malt, smoke and oak...maybe not smoke, but it rhymed so well...lets call that scent roast.

T: Great, Roast melts into bourbon into a warm alchohol. Carbonation is spot on to keep this refreshing and flavorful across the whole palate.

M: Perfectly carbonated, but a touch hot, I bought 6 so I'll amend this when it has aged if need be

D: Just one of these is enough, but I had no problem with the one I had, sipped it slow over an evening at home.

If this is part of a new tone from Arcadia, I am buying in, a nice subtle porter, melded with bourbon. Arcadia, please make more bourbon barrel beers.

03-13-2011 04:20:06 | More by Donerik
chicagobeerriot

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours black, but translucent at the edges with ruby highlights when held to the light. An inch of off-white head provides gauze lacing on the side of the glass that is rare but welcome for a barrel-aged porter.

The smell is a well-balanced mix of notes from the barrel: bourbon, vanilla, oak and caramel, and notes from the parent beer: chocolate, coffee and molasses.

Mouthfeel is appropriately velvety. Maybe a shade too much carbonation tang on the tongue, but, overall quite nice.

The most striking part of the taste is that the bourbon barrel flavor is nearly perfect. The full, round bourbon, vanilla and wood notes are front and center, but without the heat that it usually takes to get those flavors to the fore. There is some bitter bakers chocolate and sweet molasses in a supporting role. I wish there was a bit more roast from the parent beer here, but this is as spot-on of a barrel aging process as you're going to find. You really get the full character of the barrel. Very well done.

03-13-2011 02:10:36 | More by chicagobeerriot
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +10%

cracked this bad boy open as my night cap after a long day of hobo tasting at the railroad tracks. served into a pint glass while i watched tv.

poured out black as night with a thick oil like look to it and a big tan head that left streaks of lace all throughout the glass, really a damn near perfect look with a wonderful settling.

aroma is deep bourbon, oak, vanilla, hints of dark roasted malts, coffee, bitter ark chocolate and a rich and roasty profile that is cut with a slight touch of alcohol, really very well done here. each sip was better then the one before as the thick liquid coated the tongue and left no room for an error. boozy bourbon and vanilla creep across the palate with hints of molasses and chocolate, chewy at times with a bit of heat left in the finish as well. warming brings out a hint of dark fruit notes that gently graze the palate. smooth and strong finish leaves a long taste that lingers forever.

overall a fantastic beer that you really need to seek out. one of the best i have had in a long time. i would have to really, really recommend this one.

03-12-2011 03:41:51 | More by mikesgroove
ChugginOil

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Pours a dark brown and settles black with brown edges. A fingers worth of tan head dissipates fast, leaving lacing along the glass.

S- Bourbon comes through first with vanilla and a bit of oak. Some toasty and sweet malt hide underneath the bourbon beast in this one.

T- Holy Moses I'm in love. Sweet butterscotch and caramel malt nail my palate, followed by the bold bourbon flavor. Within the taste of bourbon comes sweet vanilla and a tad of oak to accompany. The flavors presented here are done so equally and create an awesome blend of complexity, holding great balance.
The slightest bit of alcohol comes through at the finish (but barely noticeable).

M- Silky, velvety, creamy goodness lathering my palate with rich flavors and amazing texture. Little carbonation is present but there's just enough to satisfy.

D- I am totally blown away by this barrel aged butte. A nearly absent sense of alcohol surprises me delightfully with each sip. 12%? Is this a typo? No, no. I am definitely feeling this brew after a few sips. Seek it out!!

03-12-2011 00:45:29 | More by ChugginOil