Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Cereal Killer Barleywine - Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Cereal Killer BarleywineArcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Cereal Killer Barleywine

Arcadia Brewing Company visit their website

English Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jplopez21 on 01-14-2013)
Reviews by GeorgiaBeerGuy:

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

rhoadester69, Apr 05, 2013
4.06/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep amber body. No head. Lifeless.

Smell - Bourbon. Sharp oak. Light fruitiness. Lots of caramel.

Taste - Very oaky. Dark fruits. Bourbon. Even more oak. Caramel without being sweet. Dry and bitter woody finish.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation. Kinda boozy, but not bad. Medium heavy.

Overall - Really impressive. Kinda simple, but there's no excess sugar and it isn't too boozy.

Alieniloquium, Jul 08, 2014

rolandboy, Jan 14, 2013

beergorrilla, Jan 14, 2013
4.19/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This poured with virtually no head but seemed to come alive with a rush of bubbling. Once the bubbles quit rising from the bottom it collared a nice frothy foam. Very dark rubyness , the color was easily pierced by the light.

Not a ton of diversity in the nose it is strong and attractive. Large doses of coconut with a creamy bourbonesque aroma the scent is pleasing. Hidden oak and earthy tones sit at the end but the coconut yields to a vanilla espresso.

I taste chocolatey fudge with hints of vanilla, coconut and whisky sour. Hints of raisin, caramel, and buttery sweetness also caress the tongue. The feel is light, not boozy, creamy and silky which makes this a damn good barley wine.

I have read several other reviews that comment on strong alcohol qualities. Mine sat in my "cellar" aka dark closet for 4 months. This must have taken the edge off as I could not be more impressed with with the smoothness and ease.

KYGunner, May 26, 2013
3.86/5  rDev -4.5%

Picked this up for $8 at a local bottle shop, excited to see it. 12oz bottle poured into my New Belgium globe.

Pours like cola and settling into something darker. A fleeting head forms and settles into a thin ring.

Smell is full of oak, bourbon, caramel, and vanilla. Ok, I can tell where this beer has resided.

Taste is very similar, which is a little disappointing. Pleasant overall, but hoping for a little more complexity. Maybe the base beer is a little lacking?

Mouthfeel is smooth, but I'd enjoy a little more chewiness for 12%.

Overall a good beer, not great, and I'm not sure worth $8 for a 12oz.

CruisaC, Feb 13, 2013

fishmich, Jul 18, 2013

Kunstman, Aug 12, 2013
4.24/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce wax capped bottle, 12/18/12 stamped on the bottle. Served in a DFH snifter, the beer pours a dark reddish/mahogany brown color with about a quarter inch tan head that didn't stay around for too long. There's also a small amount of lacing. The aroma is rich and malty, the brew smells like bourbon, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, oak, and a bit of booze. Taste is similar to the aroma, but with the addition of some molasses and raisins. There's also a surprising amount of bitterness in this brew, although the sweet malty flavors are stronger. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's slick and easy enough to drink for a 12% ABV brew. Moderate carbonation. I thought this was a good brew, hopefully I can pick up another bottle in the future. $7.99 a bottle.

bluejacket74, Jun 28, 2013

mdillon86, May 07, 2013

Cloaked_Phantom, Jan 23, 2014

buzzy, Nov 06, 2013

hoppymcgee, Jul 23, 2013

enelson, Jan 15, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +1%

22 FLUID OUNCE bottle
Served in an oversized wine glass
10% abv

A - This beer pours tea colored with some amber highlights. It is capped with two inches of tan head the streaks lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - It is sweet. I get aromas of caramel and vanilla. There is bourbon in there as well.

T - The taste mirrors the smell. It is sweet with caramel and vanilla. The bourbon isn't as noticeable as in the smell. I do taste some oak. The taste improves and increases as it warms. The bourbon starts to become apparent in the aftertaste.

M - Full and smooth. Low carbonation.

O - This barley wine absorbs a lot of bourbon characteristics. It is sweet but not overtly so. It is an enjoyable tasting experience.

buschbeer, Jun 26, 2014
3.98/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Shared by my boy J47Paco - can't thank you enough, playa!

First and foremost, massive aromas pour out of this sucker like I am sprinkling raisins on my corn flakes in the AM - Raul means, boom. Classic Barley Wine notes all around like Johannes Brahms conducting his Requiem. Now, this isn't as great as said Austrian genius, but it's not Miley Cyrus either. Decent flavors/textures; a bit sweet and a tad thin, but overall, do it to it.

Sip on this and then hit the gym, my children. Y'all getting fat.

RaulMondesi, Nov 25, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

1424IpA, May 09, 2013
4.21/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Arcadia's Bourbon Barrel Aged Cereal Killer last month for $7.49 at The Lager Mill. I thought Cereal Killer was a good Barleywine so I decided to give the bourbon barrel aged version a shot, their Bourbon Barrel Aged Shipwreck Porter was very good so I have high expectations for this one, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz waxed bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty simple and straightforward just like the Shipwreck Porter and it's also dipped in some really thick red wax that's tough to remove and it made this bottle a little hard to open. It poured a nice caramel brown like color that took on a nice darker ruby hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of slightly darker tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded and didn't leave any lacing with some noticeable alcohol legs. This is a good looking beer that looks pretty true to style, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with with a high amount of sweetness that imparted a brown sugar and slight molasses like aroma followed by loads of malts that imparted some caramel, sweet malts, and a slight toffee like aroma. After that comes the barrel which imparts some nice vanilla, bourbon, and wood aromas, the barrel sticks out a fair bit but it goes nicely with the sweet malty aromas from the Barleywine base. This beer a had a very good aroma, the barrel shows up nicely and it still let a good deal of nice Barleywine aromas come though, I really like the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a large amount of malts that impart some caramel, toffee, brown sugar, sweet malts, and some dark fruit aromas with raisins seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the barrel which shows up nicely and imparts some woody, bourbon, and nice vanilla flavors that work really nice with the sweet malt base. On the finish there really isn't any bitterness, just some sweetness followed by a medium amount of alcohol that was pretty warming. This was a pretty good tasting barrel aged Barleywine, it had all the flavors that I look for in the style and it had decent balance to it.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, medium bodied, with a lower amount of medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was nice but I felt it was a little on thin side and it would be perfect if it was chewy and thicker.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had almost all the aspects that I expect from the style with lots of malt, bourbon Barrel and warming alcohol and it's a great beer for a cold winter night like tonight. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth and the flavors held my attention, but the high amount of sweetness and warming alcohol would prevent me from having another, one 12oz bottle is the perfect amount and it's a great format for this beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and the balance in the taste, they were both pretty good and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but the body was just too thin for the style and it needs to be thicker and chewier. I would buy this beer again, if they choose to release it again, it's already gone in my area for the year, but I made sure to grab two extra bottles to throw in the cellar and I will be interested to see how it ages and I'll try and update this review, but the price is on the steep side, if it was anymore than $7.49 I don't think I would buy it, but I would recommend this to anyone who likes bourbon barrel aged beers. All in all I was happy with this beer, it didn't blow my mind and I think I like the Barrel aged Shipwreck Porter a little more, but this was still a good beer that I enjoyed drinking and it was a nice sipper and it's a good cold night treat. Good job Arcadia, thanks for bottling this beer, it's nice to have a tasty barrel aged Barleywine while I wait for the next release of Shipwreck Porter, I think 22 months is the perfect amount of time for this beer to sit in the barrel and it's worth the wait, keep up the good work guys.. 2014 EDIT, just tried one from my cellar that's year old, it got very smooth, almost as smooth as the three year old special edition, the bourbon barrel is toned down a little but it still comes through with some great toffee, caramel, and dark fruit flavors, It aged well and I like that it's smoother, but I think I prefer the fresh bottle since the barrel aspect was more apparent. still got one left that I might wait a year to try.

StoutHunter, Feb 06, 2013
Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Aged Cereal Killer Barleywine from Arcadia Brewing Company