Creemore Springs Premium Lager - Creemore Springs Brewery Limited

Creemore Springs Premium LagerCreemore Springs Premium Lager

Creemore Springs Brewery Limited visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.00% ABV

Lager is made the world over, but Creemore Springs Premium Lager is one of a kind. In all our travels, we've never found another like it. From the start, we've fire-brewed our flagship beer to be unique. It’s always made with the best ingredients and a strict adherence to traditional brewing methods. It’s just different up here, and so is our lager.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-05-2001)
View: Beers (8) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Creemore Springs Premium Lager Alström Bros
crwills

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

A very well-balanced amber lager, and very drinkable even for me -- I'm generally not a lager drinker.

Got this on tap at the Richmond Rogue in Toronto. Poured into a Creemore pint glass. A little over-chilled, almost no head at all. A nice golden-red colour.

Smell is nothing special -- malty, a lot of corn or other cheap adjuncts, a very slight hint of fruitiness.

Taste is quite pleasant, and I always like the mouthfeel of this beer -- smoother and creamier than commercial lagers, and one of the best of the region. Quite malty, but well-balanced like I said. A short-lasting but satisfyingly bitter aftertaste. A little bit of a cracker flavour, and maybe a little bit of red grape flavour in the very very back.

02-24-2006 01:57:08 | More by crwills
headlessparrot

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Perhaps I'm biased, but I love Creemore Springs Premium Lager. One could chalk this up to a number of things, amongst them Creemore being my first craft beer after I turned 19 and began to explore the untapped world of lagers and ales. Or, it could just be becaus Creemore Springs makes a great lager. For whatever reason, Creemore is my standard. The Bombshelter campus pub at the University of Waterloo sells the stuff at quite a nice price ($3.50 a pint... sorry, students only), and I also usually go for it when I'm in Markham, at Colonel Mustard's (of course, it is a bit harder to find in Windsor, my original hometown). I decided to purchase a 500mL single from the local LCBO. Why? Well, because I could.

Creemore Springs pours an absolutely delicious amber color with a significant amount of head that dies down relatively fast, but leaves a good amount of lacing. I suppose on some level I was impressed because I assumed that lager = straw/gold color. But that's not the case (nor is it necessarily the case elsewhere, but that's why preconceived notions tend to be wrong).

Smell is good, of malts and noticeable hops. Some grassy, floral notes, perhaps a little yeasty, caramel notes, with just a touch of 'skunk.' Some husky grains, floral notes, perhaps?

Taste is spectacular. Creemore is by far my favourite lager (it's common knowledge that I am generally no fan of lagers) based on the exceptionally delicious taste. Smooth, malty, creamy, with just a touch of hoppiness... shades of honey, perhaps, a bit yeasty, some floral notes. Initially sweet, but very balanced afterwards, with just a tad of lingering bitterness on the finish. What a taste! As good - or better - than the first time I tried this stuff in early September 2005, splitting a 12-pack with my roommate.

Mouthfeel is amazing. Carbonation is right on key - present, but subtle, and the brew itself has a substantial moderate body. Drinkability is also quite good. Were Creemore not so expensive, it would be my standard home session beer eight-to-ten months of the year. As it stands, it's still my brew of choice at bars where it's available.

Creemore Springs is, without a doubt, the best lager I've ever had in my somewhat brief stint as a beer advocate. Molson purchased Creemore last summer, yes (giving many craft beer fans the opportunity to bemoan the loss of 'the greatest Canadian craft beer'), but thankfully, the recipe appears to be untouched (I could have sworn that they used to really push the fact that Creemore was unpasteurized, although it doesn't appear on the bottle, but I can't be sure, especially as the taste has remained, to my tastebuds, identical). There's some debate about the shift in bottles from Creemore's old non-standards to the industry standard brown bottle, but on this I cannot comment (and I have my suspicions that it's mostly unsubstantiated). All I know is this sample tasted great, and that it tastes even better fresh on tap.

Creemore claims to be "proudly behind the times," and in this, I salute them.

02-11-2006 21:21:53 | More by headlessparrot
funkengruven

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%

Delightfuly wonderful, Looks nice, smells nice, tastes great, nice and smooth and extremely drinkable. I can't believe i've overlooked this beer so many times in the past. By far my favorite example of this style. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

02-10-2006 21:49:37 | More by funkengruven
stoutman

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bright orange in color and hazy in appearance, the body is topped by a small white head that quickly fades. A mild and lighlty sweet maltiness, some nut perhaps and a gentle bitterness and maybe a touch of tart citrus in the finish. Nutty and fruity in the nose. Light-medium in body, lightly carbonated and is one smooth and easy drinking beer on the palate. Not too bad, but inconsistent, from place to place, this beer may be sensitive to age or batch type?

01-31-2006 00:02:49 | More by stoutman
francisweizen

Alaska

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

A slightly above average lager. Nothing more, nothing less. Light golden with a billowy head of pure white foam. Decent lacing and retention. Aromas of husky grains, light malts, and where are the hops here buddy!? This one is definately light on the hops! Taste is malty with some nice bready notes and some husky frito-lay grain notes as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and semi-dry. Finish is corny, and adjunct flavored. If this is all malt, i'm a bit confused. Drinkability remains decent. A Canadian standard if nothing else, but to me it tastes like an American macro...

07-23-2005 06:57:47 | More by francisweizen
jimbotrost

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Purchased at the LCBO in Sarnia, Ontario. Pours a deep gold, almost copper color, nice head, full, carbonation is nice at a medium-low level. Beautiful lace on glass as the head disipates. Slight fruitiness in the nose, odd for a lager, still not offensive. Flavor is malt, slight, but nice for style and balanced. Body is crisp and lager like, nice beer.

06-18-2005 16:55:33 | More by jimbotrost
mwrseeley

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

This is one of my favourite Canadian beers. A buddy of mine works for the brewery and recently gave me a personal and educational tour of their operations which ended, of course, with a draught of freshly brewed beer.

The only quibble I have with Creemore Springs is that it can be a bit too sweet and not something I would like to drink, like a hefeweizen or pils, in great quantities in one session. It's the kind of beer that goes down well in moderation and over the course of a quiet conversation with a friend or while sitting alone reading or listening to music.

The brewery has recently been swallowed up by Molson as, I suspect, a microbrewery showcase. I hope the guys in the suits leave well enough alone and not make any undue changes.

06-17-2005 01:25:28 | More by mwrseeley
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

Pours a beautiful clear amber, nice big white head caps it off with generous lacing. Smell is of sweet malts, dark candy perhaps, a little metallic. Taste is a little sweet, malty, bitterness in the finish, a little spicy as well. Very smooth beer, not as carbonated as most lagers so it goes down easily. One of the best beers made in Ontario, if not Canada, very good lager and takes away the bite of a hot summer day.

05-30-2005 01:54:13 | More by Viggo
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

500ml brown embossed bottle with screw top. Thanks Cars for bring this back from Ont.
Poured a copper golden color, thin white head that left little lace on the glass. It had a crisp and clean aroma, wet grass with some hops on top. Strong, full flavour with some malt sweetness (almost honey-like), well balanced with floral/hop bitterness. Clean, dry finish. Smooth and easy to drink.

02-13-2005 19:21:27 | More by BigBry
chunkylover53

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

Creemore Lager is a nice, but not outstanding beer that pours a dark tan with not much head to speak of. What head there is, howver, stays around a surprisingly long time.

It's a classic lager so there's not much to say about it: It smells like hops and tastes like hops.

It's a good session beer and I've been finding that it's a good intermediate step for weaning friends away from Coor's and Bud and onto real beers.

11-29-2004 04:18:22 | More by chunkylover53
Brent

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

A really nicely done lager - one of the freshest-tasting bottled beers I've run across. Good balance of hops with a touch of honey in the malt. Had a nice, homey quality that reminded me of the best homebrewed lagers I've had - no scrimping on the production. A standout in a category in which it is hard to stand out.

09-20-2004 20:59:51 | More by Brent
marburg

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

"Was this given to me as a joke?"

OK, give me a little break -- the bottle looks like a midget forty with a damn screw top, and Putnam's been pushing lagers on me. So it seemed possible that, since it came out of a box with mostly unappealling mass-produced wannabes, he was playing a joke.

Well, in some senses, the joke's still on me. Because I was a dumbass. This is GOOD.

This is a lager? Estery, honey-filled fruity aromatics dominate the nose with hints of flowers, citrus, and fresh sweetbread. Malt liquor meets the backroad farmer's market.

With the entrancing bouquet and the thick, natural brown color, all doubt turned to expectation. Maple syrup. Breakfast meats. Honey. This is great lager beer. Very sweet but not overwhelmingly so. Subtle and nuanced, this one can be allowed to warm, the changes being something to be appreciated. Excellent stuff.

For all the "cool" beer being brewed in the states, no one I know of has made a simple lager this perfect.

08-26-2004 00:58:18 | More by marburg
baiser

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

IMO, one of the best Canadian lagers around. Pours a golden, orange colour, with a nice white head and sticky strings of lacing around the glass.

Nose is very floral, and slightly citrusy.

Taste starts sweet and fruity. Then some floral hop flavour. After taste is grainy and dry.

A solid beer. Very tasty, and truly a different lager that has many ale like qualities.

08-22-2004 15:54:46 | More by baiser
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

My first Creemore Springs Lager in 9 years, thanks to the intervention of northyorksammy. I used to love this stuff back then even when I was clueless enough to still drink it straight out of the bottle.

Pours out of its 500 ml brown bottle a deep ruddy golden colour, very little carbonation, and only a splash of fizz for a head. So this is what it actually looks like! (I wouldn't know from past experience...) The aroma possesses a clean sweet and biscuity malt profile, with light floral and herbal hops. I can even pick up slight caramel as well. Well-balanced and rounded flavour, the malt and hops act in unison, mild grains and some toasted malt cheek-to-cheek with the crisp flowery hops. Very refreshing stuff. The mouthfeel is light to sip, but has a decent body when rolled across the palate. If I lived in Ontario this stuff would be my old reliable, there would always be at least one bottle of this stuff in my fridge. I used to look back fondly about this stuff, and it is good to know that it's still the great beer I remember it as. My favorite Canadian lager along with Yukon Brewing's Chilkoot.

08-12-2004 02:51:35 | More by IronDjinn
OldFrothingSlosh

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Screw-off (I've been called that before) bottle. Purchased on a whim at one of the liquor stores in Toronto.

Poured an interesting (and unexpected) clear copper in color. Head was thick and long-lasting. Nice patchwork of lace on the glass. Nose is also interesting. Mix of juicy fruit, floral hops, and a touch of malty sweetness. Flavor is up-front sweet and is mixed nicely by hoppy influence. Finish is dry. Good mouthfeel and drinkability. I was quite pleasantly surprised at this, given my recent run-ins with the Molson offerings that I'd tried whilst in Canada. Great summer beer. I'd gladly drink more of this.

08-01-2004 15:17:58 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
DrJay

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a coppery gold with a very thin, almost white head that left little lace on the glass. It had a crisp aroma, with noble hops shining through. Slightly sharp flavour with some malt sweetness followed by a floral/spicy bitterness. Definitely a full bodied lager with a clean, dry finish. Fairly high carbonation with average smoothness.

06-27-2004 21:40:06 | More by DrJay
feloniousmonk

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Yeah, twist-off bottle, time to give my church key a rest!

Clear amber color, decent layer of bubbly white foam.

Aroma, fresh, open, airy, and otherwise vapid.

taste: hmmm, eh, blah, and, otherwise, ordinary, some malt peeks through in the end, and shows some sweetness...not too terrible, after all, but not much else.
Not bad, but not all that ...well... anything...

light body, small texture, tiny finish...
inoffensive, though...

05-24-2004 05:48:42 | More by feloniousmonk
slitherySOB

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice coloured beer, but next to no head. Kinda sad to see. Some lace does cling to the glass. Clean, good, quality lager smell. The simple beer smell, without the cheap beer smell. Slight hop aroma, some grass, and bready, almost chewy malt. Taste is similar, with a slightly stronger floral sensation. Crisp, clean mouthfeel that is very suitable for this beer. Light bodied and simple. Drinkable, yeah. It's got enough taste to be drinkable, without the complexity to make it amazing. This is a simple beer. And that is what I like. More importantly, that is what I respect about this beer.

05-15-2004 18:36:31 | More by slitherySOB
sublimesipping

4.58/5  rDev +20.2%

and so this is a beer of many things for me: Lives, lifestyles, memories, highs .lows, friendships, homes. I've been drinking this beer for 10+ years and it is this beer that I owe to givng me the key to unlocking and appreciating quality brewing. but I don't want to give the impression that this is a purely emotional review. Lager is not my favorite style, but this is an exception. and even though I live in the land of lager(as in yuengling) this is a wonderufl drinkable beer, quality made. this is the one and only regular beer from this brewery and is mostly drunk in the province. Luckily, I still have friends that are wonderful enough to smuggle some of this to me south of the border.
so the review- the color of this beer is exceptional, wonderful amber bronze color a clarity and wispy full white head that speaks of good clear canadian water. Even in a bottle a bit aged, the head stands up well. Aroma strongly of fresh-baked bread with a hint of alchohol. this fresh-baked bread taste permeates the drinkability. Straightforward, strong flavor of malt, flavor starts clear and strong and finshes with a full mouthfeel with a hint of sweetness. the fresh falvor asserts itself but fades gradually through the sip(or gulp), leaving a a clean sensation at the finish. Pure, unadulturated Canadian quality in a glass. highly recommended for all levels of beer drinking appreciation. worth hunting for if you can find some, best recommendation is to visit T.O. Ontario. either way its win-win for me, as your loss is my gain and my pleasure again and again. This is truly a sublime beer.

05-05-2004 01:26:58 | More by sublimesipping
CAMRAhardliner

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

The color is orange reddish, there are medium and large carbonation bubbles and lots of them. An intricate lacework clings to the glass. Aromas of floral hops, bready malts, hop bitterness and fruity yeast are quite evident. The taste is crisp and very pleasant. The mouthfeel is definitely smooth and crisp like a lager but there are definite ale characteristics to this beer. perhaps the hops used, or more likely the yeast stain. This is possibly the best lager Ive tried yet.

05-02-2004 03:16:08 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Quotashun

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My favourite of all beers up to now, as it impresses me in every way a beer possibly could. Rich colour, a great flavourful taste, and the spring water definitely gives it an unusually CLEAN taste. Highly recommended to the novice beer enthusiasts (like myself) and the experts as well.

03-25-2004 22:44:05 | More by Quotashun
JustinBathurst

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a cloudy orange-gold amber. Nice lace, but not an enormous head. Aroma is floral with a slight honey.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and has good carbonation.

Well-balanced copper bitter bite with a roasted flavour. Hoppy! Hoorah! The bitter washes the tongue over and the carbonation sizzles just right. Everything about the taste is tops. A bitter aftertaste carries the experience onwards in a good decrescendo. As well, the honey sweet is more present in the taste as the beer warms.

An A grade beer for anytime, anywhere. I love this beer.

03-14-2004 04:03:31 | More by JustinBathurst
Sammy

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Superior than in the bottle, had served right (not-too-cold ) at safari Club. More balanced, malty without being as sweet and as creamy and as carbonated. Good by itself, or before food or with the meal. Cane sugar stays with the Belgiums and mint with other Onatrio challengers.

01-14-2004 03:45:06 | More by Sammy
jcalabre

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: This is a very nice looking Pilsener. It pours a clear amber color with a bubbly off white head.
Aroma: The aroma is slightly malty.
Overall Comments: This is a pretty decent pilsener. I am not usually a fan of this style, but this was pretty well done.

10-30-2003 02:15:56 | More by jcalabre
Beervis

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured a light amber color with a small amount of head that quickly faded, leaving a very nice lace on the glass.

Well balanced hop notes and a medium bodied mouthfeel. A faint fruity nose is present. Very refreshing!!!

This is a highly drinkable beer!

10-27-2003 21:30:11 | More by Beervis