Creemore Springs UrBock - Creemore Springs Brewery Limited

Creemore Springs Brewery Limited visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Bock |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Bock beers gained notoriety in Munich back in 1612. All the Bavarian nobles were drinking fashionable northern ales known as Einbeck Bier. So Duke Maximillian I of Munich hired his own northern brewmaster, who created a lager similar in character but superior in taste. It won back the local aristocrats. Inspired by his entrepreneurial spirit we started brewing our own urBock – rich, ruby-hued beer with subtle, dark roasted flavours. It’s an aristocratic beer but rest assured, you needn’t be a Duke to enjoy it.

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 12-10-2001)
View: Beers (8) |  Events

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

11-02-2012 03:37:57 | More by djcreepshow
biegaman

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

Tawny brush fire with equal parts gold, amber, and ruby-brown. All tones are exhibited to their fullest when viewed with a bright source of light directly behind. A light haze has settled, the beer remains spotlessly clear albeit with transparency a little distorted in parts of deeper shading. There is zero sign of carbonation and big points are lost due to an utterly flat surface. The top is barren without even the slightest indication of outline.

If I wanted cornmeal I'd make polenta, and I'm sure that would turn out much more tasty anyhow. Bocks should smell malty - there's no arguing that. I don't want to hear any if, ands, or buts about it from Molson's or Creemore. This bock smells much more like frozen microwaved corn niblets dabbled with malt extract than they do toasted grains lathered with rich caramel. I appreciate the effort to sweeten it but I can tell it's not authentic.

The taste can't seem to shake off the adjuncts and extracts neither. It offers not even a hint of dried fruit nor candied fruit, no desserts, no chocolate, no caramel or spice nor toasted breads. It's like a macro lager infused with cheap caramel syrup. Good thing I'm not German or I would be incredibly insulted. The ingredients used are clearly cheap and the brewer responsible clearly has either no pride or no understanding of the style.

This isn't anything like a dark, strong, malty beer - it's much more like a heavily filtered, adjunct ridden lager blended with cheap extract flavouring. This is flat, stale, and cloying. It tastes syrupy and possesses no roast or caramelization. This could possibly make something of a cross over beer for macro lager drinkers but for anyone already exposed to good craft beer I'd recommend passing this one over.

There's still half a glass left in front of me and I'm not at all anxious to finish it. I didn't notice too much of a difference when Creemore was bought out by Molson's but I will say this: the once decent UrBock is now nothing more than another macro kitsch imposture peddled as a small scale take on a rich, distinct style. Whether that's a change in my tastes or a change in the production I can't say. What I do know: I won't be revisiting.

02-10-2009 03:41:34 | More by biegaman
Ralphus

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

I can't say I'm huge lover of Bock's.. the style doesn't really make much sense to me. Lets take an otherwise good lager, make it maltier & stronger but not have any of the fruitiness of an ale.. that sounds like a good idea?

Anyway, on the with the review. Pours a very dark brown mahogany. The light brown bubbly head recedes to nothing.. not even a ring and leaves not a speck of lace on the side of the glass.

Smell is bordering on non existant. Some light barley malt is all that is detectable.

The taste is like a stronger lager. A bit more malt.. a bit more hops and alcohol but that's all. Its passable but certainly not interesting. There's a certain "Creemoreness" to it as well. It likely uses the same yeast strain as their other offerings.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are passable but far from noteworthy.

12-22-2010 21:26:58 | More by Ralphus
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

Not my style of choice in beer, but is certainly acceptable in all the BA categories......taste is a little to sweet for me, yet this brew has qualities that you know must be appreciated by those who care for this particular style....
I guess what I am trying to say here is that this brew has all the qualities of a fine product, but needs to be critiqued by a more knowledgeable person than I......

01-07-2003 15:33:27 | More by Shiloh

AugustusRex

11-04-2013 05:34:56 | More by AugustusRex
sstackho

Ontario (Canada)

12oz bottle purchased from LCBO. Pours a clear, dark copper with a big head due to a poor pour, but the head goes away pretty quickly. Little lacing. Reasonable malty aroma. Flavour is malt - and that's about it. Finishes a bit thin. I've not much of a bock fan, and this one doesn't get me any closer to changing my mind.

02-22-2008 04:04:56 | More by sstackho
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

Pours a nice, deep copper. Some nice, dripping lace going on. Smell is sweet raisiny malt. Some initial bitterness at the front of the tongue is backed by slightly pruney malt. There's definitely alcohol in this. It's nicely warming. I'd like to see more malt in this though. A lot more. And just...more flavor. It seems to be missing something and it lacks depth. It has a clean mouthfeel, a little thin and almost watery. Yeah. It's drinkable, it's not horrible, but I'm a little underwhelmed. I'll happily finish the six pack I bought but this is definitely not a repeater. Too bad. I love Creemore's lager and I like their Pilsner so I expected more from this.

04-03-2009 01:23:12 | More by MeisterBurger
Phyl21ca

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

Tap - Copper brew with a small head. Malty aroma with a medium body. Taste is very creamy which I approved with small traced of burnt malt. Not the best of bock but still a great beer that should be made available all year long. The Creemore brewery is starting to impress me with two great german inspired brew (lager and bock).

01-04-2004 19:25:52 | More by Phyl21ca
TheHammer

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Another trade from ludachris, thanks man. Poured with a solid thumb of head that does lace a little bit, and sustains decently. The beer itself is a deep clear red tinted copper. The carbonation however for this beer looks out of control.

Smell - Definitely getting some grape/raisin smell from this one, as well as a touch of acidic citrus. I'm also catching a bit of sweet malt and apples in the background. However, something is a bit off about the whole experience.

Taste - Well I think I found what is off about the smell, I think I'm tasting prunes, which while different, isn't what I look for in a beer. Starts with sweet malts and then turns a very abundant mixed fruit flavor. I'm catching apples, oranges, grapes, peaches and prunes. The whole thing ends with a slightest touch of fruity hops that frankly taste watered down.

Mouthfeel - This beer leave quite a sweet aftertaste, however it also leaves a bit of an acidic quality. It lingers for a while, but thankfully it does not built upon itself. The beer is smooth going down, but it also far too carbonated.

Drinkability - Well the beer is refreshing and good going down. In addition it's not that heavy, however after a bit of time the acidic quality doesn't sit well in the stomach.

Final Thoughts - This beer was a bit of disappointment, mainly because of how good the Creemore Lager is. It's still pretty good, but it's not sitting very well, which is really a shame. Worth a try for sure, but I wouldn't buy a six pack of it.

04-05-2009 02:45:26 | More by TheHammer
Goldorak

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: Dark copper, but a bit more on the grainy brown side. The head is patchy and mocha.

Smell: I'm pretty sure I detected some Saaz in there, or a piney, spicy equivalent. Some caramel as well.

Taste: Relatively light carbonation and taste, roasty caramel and maybe a bit buttery, mouthfeel is superior to most lagers at first, but dies off quickly.

03-13-2005 16:54:35 | More by Goldorak
DreamDeath

New Brunswick (Canada)

05-18-2014 06:24:19 | More by DreamDeath
deonreds

10-24-2013 10:59:41 | More by deonreds
liamt07

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Can from the LCBO, canned on date J23 (September 23). In a pint glass.

Pours a rusty red, with a few fingers of thick and creamy eggshell head. Leaves some lace and retains its head well. Nose has some earthy hops, light grain, and a general sense of the malt sweetness. Nothing exciting here, and the taste proves this. Some of the hops upfront, light toffee and caramel notes, and some graininess. Alcohol isn't disguised, and that a disappointment at relatively low ABV. However, its got a decent creamy mouthfeel. Not a ton of flavour going for this one, simple and straightforward. Medium drinkability.

01-04-2011 23:47:42 | More by liamt07
cratez

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like dark beers and was excited to hear that Creemore Springs makes a bock (the fact that it's a seasonal is kinda cool too). Pours a dark ruby body. There's minimal head, but the colour makes it look thirst-quenching. Some grainy, brownish lacing sticks to the glass. Smells of bready malt, red wine, prunes, and alcohol. Taste has a bold malt character with an initial alcoholic bite. The mouthfeel is pretty much what this beer is all about. Starts off with a moderately carbonated bite and goes down smooth. The aftertaste fades away quickly. This beer is nothing special but it's still drinkable. The higher alcohol content is reasonably well-hidden by a malty taste and crisp mouthfeel. Decent brew.

10-24-2006 04:00:18 | More by cratez
Sammy

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

(2003 version) Brown colour. Like their premium lager but instead of cream, the unique bock taste and some sweetness and slight fruit. Unpasteurized is a problem. I can see why Creemore doesn't expand their lineup. Ok session brew and with Chinese food as light complexion.

(2004 version) More German-like quality with less carbonation noticeable. Sweet, nicer brown colour. Same overall rating.
(2005 version on tap) smooth, creamy, dry. A variation of the creemore cream.

04-22-2004 12:44:15 | More by Sammy
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

341ml bottle sent to me by pootz, poured into a Pilsner glass.

Pours a beautiful clear, deep blood-red with hints of orange. Almost 2 inches of tan head erupts off a vigorous pour, subsides quickly and leaves a bit of wet lacing. Carbonation is low and lazy. Aroma is deep and malty with some caramel sweetness and some breadiness. Hops impart a noble pepperiness and a pleasant herbal aroma.

First impression of the flavour is an almost overwhelming soapy note that I'm sure is just a lot of herbal hops, but comes off unpleasant. There's a slight metallic sharpness as well. It does get better though as the beer warms a little. Bready at first with some dark fruity flavours, a bit medicinal, like cough syrup in its delivery. A bit of pepper to give it some zip. Finish is earthy, potently herbal, hursky and crackery. Mouthfeel is medium-thick in body with a zippy carbonation. Drier than I expected it would be. Overall not a brutal effort, but the lack of balance in the actual flavour is a little offputting. Lots of individual elements, not enough harmony.

11-07-2007 20:30:13 | More by trevorwideman
OldFrothingSlosh

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Presentation: Squat amber 11.5 oz bottle. Freshness date of 07/03. Received as part of a beer trade with AKSmokedPoter (who has done a great job of getting new beer styles to me as part of his membership in something like 183 different "beer of the month" clubs).

Appearance: Deep clear copper with a tan-colored head that settles nicely to a thin layer. Nice lacing of the glass.

Smell: Malty sweet on the nose. A pleasant mixture of sweet caramel and fruity aromas.

Taste: A little too sweet for me. I was hoping for a little more balanced beer, but it's certainly not bad. Easy to drink with a fruity aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thinly smooth and creamy. Not much body, perhaps dur to low carbonation?

Drinkability: Above average. Nothing in this beer to remember it by, but not a burden on the palate. Having read the description of the style, I guess I expected more of a hop influence (being the hop-head that I am).

01-31-2003 16:50:16 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
headlessparrot

3.33/5  rDev -8%

I'm probably one of the biggest advocates that there is for Creemore Springs' flagship brew, their premium lager (yes, i'll admit it - even after their buyout by Molson) - I've never before, however, had a chance to try their seasonal brew, Creemore Springs Traditional urBock. Well, let's change that, shall we.

Of course, the most dissapointing thing about the Molson takeover is the fact that Creemore is now using standard brown bottles, as opposed to the unique shape that previously seemed to define the symbology of the brew. But alas, I poured this beer aggressively, and was still only left without a finger of head that dissappeared inside of thirty seconds (although with a considerable amount of - admittedly, a little runny - lacing). The brew itself has a reddish amber glow to it, especially around the edges, with the body being a just barely transluncent brownish-black. Not bad, though I'll admit my relative ignorance with regards to the style.

Smell seems faintly skunky, even though the expiration date is long off and the beer was well-stored in a closed six-pack carton. Seems faintly winey, almost sour, some vague fruit notes, strong barley malts and hops. Faint caramel, perhaps. The slightest hint of some sort of chocolate, maybe? A lot of really faint odours here that are present, but hard to detect and even harder to distinguish. Still, not bad at all.

Taste is quite malty - bready, grainy on the tongue. A slight bitterness throughout that mingles a little bit with the less dominant herby-floral-y hops. Some roasted malts... slightly caramel-y, nutty, burnt, maybe. Finishes dry, with a battle between the malts and hops for attention on the tastebuds. Reminds me a little of Wychwood's Fiddler's Elbow - though somewhat better (and this is decidedly not an English Pale Ale, but that was the closest comparison i could come up with in my mind). There's nothing totally special here, but definitely a respectable taste that would be beyond the palate of many beginners (it should, however, be pointed out that it fails to live up to the standard of Creemore's Premium Lager, which is by far one of my favourite brews).

Mouthfeel is not bad. The carbonation is perhaps a little sharp on the tongue - but then, I'm picky about my carbonation levels. Medium body, though it seems to 'thin' out and become a tad watery as it sits on your tongue. Drinkability is something I'm not so sure about. I suppose there's a reason that this is a seasonal brew - higher alcohol to warm you and a slightly more complex taste to catch your interest during the winter months. However, I could still realistically see myself having two or three in an extended sitting with friends over a roaring fire, or maybe a game of euchre.

Creemore Springs' urBock is a respectable brew that fails to amaze, but also doesnt dissapoint. Taste is interesting enough to appeal to a beer advocate, and even if it's nothing superbly special, it's also something I'll look forward to around the Christmas season. Worth a try, I say - but only after you've tried Creemore's excellent lager first.

04-08-2006 00:20:07 | More by headlessparrot
pootz

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Bottle of the 2006 release.

Creemore's UrBock has a history of changing slightly year to year so I thought I'd share some tasting notes on this year's release:

This year's batch seems to have been thinned out a bit in body and there is less sweetness and more hops and black malt husk "char" in the finish. This finish combined with the thinner body is reminiscent of a schwarzbier

The look is similar in color to previous years...clear reddish cola color... but the cap is less prominent and reduces more quickly to a ring which leaves some weak lacing.

The main body is thinner to the palate than one expects in a dark bock (or previous releases) and more like a Munich dunkel...taste is well balanced, non cloying, grainy with some cocoa tones....gone are the dried fruit notes the earlier richer sweeter versions had ...there is a "sharpness" to this year's release that may be the result of the increased hopping and "char" astringency combining with what seems like more carbonation than in previous years.

This is still drinkable and clean but this year has a character that seems to lack a defined Bock identity...thinner than one expects in a dark bock....more like a dunkel-schwarzbier hybrid...I still bought a case

11-01-2006 17:03:04 | More by pootz
evlu1441

Alberta (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

It pours a very deep, dark, and clear amber with about a cm of bubbly head on top.

The nose is very malty with notes of vanilla and some slightly fruity alcohol notes coming through in the background.

The taste is malty and surprisingly toasted with perhaps a tiny hint of coffee. It follows with some faint sweetness and light bitterness as the earthy notes develop.

Overall, this is a decent brew, though I don't know if I'd actively seek it out in the future.

03-06-2012 06:34:40 | More by evlu1441
papat444

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Picked this up on a trip to Ottawa last month. Shared with my wife over ziti, fresh homemade bread and salad.

Poured from a 473ml. can, canned Jan. 13, 2011 (code A131110:45).

Appearance: An ecru colored frothy head with body more clear than opaque that has a stark ruby red color. Retention is very good.

Smell: Grainy with malt and some sweetness as it warms. Too discreet.

Taste: At first, not much. A mineral-like feel with some spices and a tea-like presence maybe? Lots of malt with a caramel flavor and as it warms, i get get some candied sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Very lively and a full-bodied feel. Spot-on and quite enjoyable.

Drinkability: Easy to enjoy and no impediment. I may seek it out again.

Overall: I started out not really liking it but warmed up to it. Still, i wasn't really impressed with it per se.

03-15-2011 12:17:04 | More by papat444