Creemore Springs UrBock - Creemore Springs Brewery Limited

Ontario, Canada

Bock |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 12-10-2001

Bock beers gained notoriety in Munich back in 1612. All the Bavarian nobles were drinking fashionable northern ales known as Einbeck Bier. So Duke Maximillian I of Munich hired his own northern brewmaster, who created a lager similar in character but superior in taste. It won back the local aristocrats. Inspired by his entrepreneurial spirit we started brewing our own urBock – rich, ruby-hued beer with subtle, dark roasted flavours. It’s an aristocratic beer but rest assured, you needn’t be a Duke to enjoy it.

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%

Picked this up on a trip to Ottawa last month. Shared with my wife over ziti, fresh homemade bread and salad.

Poured from a 473ml. can, canned Jan. 13, 2011 (code A131110:45).

Appearance: An ecru colored frothy head with body more clear than opaque that has a stark ruby red color. Retention is very good.

Smell: Grainy with malt and some sweetness as it warms. Too discreet.

Taste: At first, not much. A mineral-like feel with some spices and a tea-like presence maybe? Lots of malt with a caramel flavor and as it warms, i get get some candied sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Very lively and a full-bodied feel. Spot-on and quite enjoyable.

Drinkability: Easy to enjoy and no impediment. I may seek it out again.

Overall: I started out not really liking it but warmed up to it. Still, i wasn't really impressed with it per se.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Beer received from liamt07. Cheers!

Dark amber color beer crowned with a creamy beige head. The head sticks well to the glass. Nice looking beer. Caramel malts in the nose. Front is caramel malts, strong... however in the back I get some hops notes. Woody. Taste, wow I would have guess more intensity here. Malty as a good bock. However, it is too simple in the taste to really appreciate this one. Would greatly gain in being more complex in the taste. Not bad however. Easy to drink. Refreshing. Warms.

Another good offering from Creemore.

3.57/5  rDev -1.4%

Review from notes 2/6/11. Thanks to korguy123 for this awesome pint can!

A: Pours a clear chestnut brown color with ruby highlights. White colored head. Retention and lacing are lacking.

S: Roasted malt, caramel, and some bready yeast.

T: Very nutty with caramel flavor mixed in. There is a little bit of spice and a toasted malt flavor as well.

M/D: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, its good, easy drinking, but seemed to be a little on the flat side.

3.81/5  rDev +5.2%

I wish this wasn't a seasonal (maybe that's part of the charm).

Poured from can into proprietary pint glass. Nut brown appearance with fluffy two finger plus head that lasts and leaves a lot of lovely lace.

Creamy mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

Tastes of sweet malts, caramel and brown sugar. It has a light taste to it and leaves a bitter, dry finish.

Very drinkable-if I could change one thing, I wish it was a wee bit heavier.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

I picked this up at the LCBO while on a business trip. It poured a clear, light brown/orangey/maroon into a nondescript hotel rocks glass. Suitable offwhite head.

I smell sweet malt, honey, with a little floral.

The malt is caramelly and biscuity. I get a slight coffee bitterness on the finish - nice balance.

Thin to medium body with light carbonation.

I like this smooth dark lager, and would definitely have another. Not the best bock I've had, but not the worst either.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 473ml can into a DogFish Head signature glass (January 6, 2011). The code "J231012:56" is stamped on the bottom of the can, which for Creemore Springs means this was packaged at 12:56pm on the 23rd of an unidentified month in 2010. I hate obscure packaging codes.

*Note on the Creemore Springs packaging codes. I was previously informed that the letter portion of the code was a direct correlation to the number of the month, (eg A=January, B=February), however I have come across several codes that are far too deep in the alphabet (beyond 12 letters), to relate to a specific month. I'm a bit confused by this, and quite frankly wish Creemore would come up with a more sane packaging date system.

I picked this up on a recent visit home to Canada with a few other

Eyes: Pours a clear, darkish amber/copper color with zero haze. Head formation is nice with tiny ecru foam, but retention and lacing are moderate. Not surprising for a Bock.

Nose: Strong malt/bread/yeasty aroma, with a fruity undertone.

Tongue: Some caramel, biscuit, and mild raisins. Quite a bitter aftertaste. A nice mixture overall, but nothing mind blowing.

Mouth: Carbonation is light but appropriate. It's creamy, but maybe just a bit too thin.

Libation: I must admit this seems to have a undertone of Creemore's best offering, their Premium Lager. This is a nice, flavorful Bock with some interesting aspects. Drinkable? Yes. Memorable? No.

3.29/5  rDev -9.1%

Can from the LCBO, canned on date J23 (September 23). In a pint glass.

Pours a rusty red, with a few fingers of thick and creamy eggshell head. Leaves some lace and retains its head well. Nose has some earthy hops, light grain, and a general sense of the malt sweetness. Nothing exciting here, and the taste proves this. Some of the hops upfront, light toffee and caramel notes, and some graininess. Alcohol isn't disguised, and that a disappointment at relatively low ABV. However, its got a decent creamy mouthfeel. Not a ton of flavour going for this one, simple and straightforward. Medium drinkability.

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

I can't say I'm huge lover of Bock's.. the style doesn't really make much sense to me. Lets take an otherwise good lager, make it maltier & stronger but not have any of the fruitiness of an ale.. that sounds like a good idea?

Anyway, on the with the review. Pours a very dark brown mahogany. The light brown bubbly head recedes to nothing.. not even a ring and leaves not a speck of lace on the side of the glass.

Smell is bordering on non existant. Some light barley malt is all that is detectable.

The taste is like a stronger lager. A bit more malt.. a bit more hops and alcohol but that's all. Its passable but certainly not interesting. There's a certain "Creemoreness" to it as well. It likely uses the same yeast strain as their other offerings.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are passable but far from noteworthy.

Pours a lovely nut brown colour with ruby tones. Forms a sizable tan coloured head when poured that dissipates in a few minutes but leaves some nice lacing and a small collar.

I get a deep malt aroma with brown sugar or syrup and toast notes, along with just a hint of spice and the fresh water aroma Creemore Springs beers are known for.

There is a certain tang to the initial mouthfeel, despite a seemingly low carbonation level. It then takes on creamy traits, but never feels thick like other dark beers. For a strong beer, urBock from Creemore Springs is almost a little too easy to drink.

The taste itself is rich and malty with hints of biscuit and fruit. I found an unexpected (this is my first Bock) bitterness to the finish with a very mild syrupy aftertaste on the back end.

This beer also has some nice warming qualities, making it a great seasonal choice. Another quality product from a great brewery and frankly one I'd enjoy year-round if it were available.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - The beer pours a clear light brown colour with an average size creamy beige coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some excellent lacing down the sides of the glass. The head lasted for only a few minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - breads/grains, malts, caramel, brown sugar

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a low amount of carbonation and feels lightly flat on the tongue. Most of the taste is made up of malts and brown sugar with and a roasted/toasted nut flavour. The beer finishes with a malty aftertaste.

Drink - I'm not sure if I just got the end of a keg or something, but the beer wasn't nearly as good as it is from a can. Still an above average beer though; I'm rarely disappointed with Creemore products.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Nice one finger, creamy head that is slowly going down. Amber/ruby body. Bright with low carbonation. Some decent lacing sticks around as I work my way through this and a nice little cap of head sticks around too.

S - Good amount of hops in the aroma. Rich malts show up in the form of breadiness or toffee. Possibly some molassess or burnt sugar also.

T - Malts champ through in a big way here. Toffee-ish flavour is there with molassess again. Possibly a fruitcake element. It's all malt but pretty nice.

M - Creamy, not lot's of carbonation but just enough is there. Body is pretty light. A nice little bitter finish is just barely noticable.

D - This is a nice cold weather lager. A nice malty brew. I could have a few on a cold evening like tonight. Nothing really screams 'don't drink me' with this one. I've had the UrBock from Creemore a few times before and it's always been a decent brew.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Dark clear amber with good carbonation, and a head that lasts, but is noticably thin. Good lacing.

S- Bits of grains, grassiness, dark malts,

T- Grassy hops and grains up front, then soon after caramel malt, and toasted malts take over. Good balance of sweet and bitter. Not too much of either for my likings though. A tad on the light side. Definitely didn't offend me though.

M- Very smooth, but a bit thin and watery. Carbonation redeems it by making it feel bigger than it is.

D- Easy to drink, but has a bit too much grassy flavor for me. If I had the option, I'd go with Creemore's Lager, or Kellerbier first. All of these are good options, though, and I consider Creemore Springs to be one of the better breweries in Ontario for having products that are consistently above what else is available here.

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a dark amber colour with a decent creamy off-white head. Aroma is of dark and caramel malt, grassiness, with a metallic hint. Taste is again bready caramel malt, light grassiness from the hops, leading to a lightly bitter finish with just the faintest tingle of alcohol warmth. Fairly light-bodied with pleasant carbonation. This is a nice easy drinker for the cooler months.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an amber brown colour with off white head. Some lacing down the glass. Smells of toasted malt, caramel and grassy hops. Flavour has a punch of bitterness that I didn't expect, with lots of sweetness. Medium bodied carbonation. I like all of creemore's offerings.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle from ritzkiss, thanks! Pours a blanket of cream-white head. Retention and lacing could be better. The body is a dark copper/amber, clear against light. Nice colour.

The nose is lots of bready yeast, wheat, some roasty malt, caramel, touch of dark spice, a bit astringent, a little iron. Not too bad.

The flavour is lots of whole wheat, with toasted malt, the same dark spices found in the smell and some earthy, bitter noble hops linger on the finish (probably my favorite part of this brew). Fairly balanced. Not too exciting but not too bad a bock either.

The feel is nothing special, keeping in line with everything else. Slightly-watery medium body and moderate carbonation. Dry finish.

This beer is alright but seems to have a certain macro quality to it. Maybe I'm just imagining things but I feel it tastes like it would have been better made in smaller batches or with less filtration or something. I'm no brewer, I can't say what the culprit is. It's kind of riding just above average on all counts. In any case, it's a fairly drinkable bock, although not one I'll be buying again. Thanks for the sample, Eric!

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle from a 6pk carton that claims that it's "Delivered Fresh Weekly". My bottling date states it was bottled Feb. 24 which is a little over a month ago, and while that's not last week, it's fresh enough for me.

Pours a caramel amber color with a finger plus of creamy head, pretty standard says I.

Nose has a caramelly bread base with just a touch of grassy hops peeking out.

Caramel and bread, dark fruits, touch of grassy hops in there, light drying finish, thin sweetness behind in there, pretty light body though it makes a really easy drinking beer. Pleasant carbonation. Nothing wowing here but a pleasant change-up from Ontario's premier lager brewers, a nice light, easy-drinking beer with a bit of pleasant malt. Not hefty, just drinkable. Going to go great with my steak this pleasant spring evening.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer pours a clear dark amber hue, with two fingers of foamy light beige head, which leaves a small ring of lace around the glass. It smells of spicy caramel malt, and grassy hops. The taste is fruity biscuit/caramel malt, and mild weedy hops. The carbonation is moderate, the body medium weight, a little zingy, and it finishes with an edgy sweet cracker maltiness.

A pretty decent and flavourful bock, from a consistently impressive brewery.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A huge fan of Creemore's lager and pilsner, and with a winter storm a brewin' I figured the urBock was in order. Nice to see the traditional goat emblem on the bottle.

Pours an amber-chocolate hue, leaves about an inch of offwhite head, which has nicely receded to a ring encircling the glass. Lots of foamy lacing. Looks like a root beer, oddly enough.

The nose is malt and caramel, with possibly a bit of raisins in the back. Not bad.

The taste is quite nice, if a little muted. Nice and malty, with notes of toffee, caramel and sweet white wine. A lingering pepper finish, and this is where I detect a slight warming alcohol sensation. The flavours work well, but could have been more pronounced.

Mouthfeel is on the lower carbonation, slightly thinner than I'd like.

Glad I picked this one up; I've been passing it by at the LCBO for too long. It's not my favorite Creemore brew, as it could have been a bit more hearty, but it's quite tasty and is going down well.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

This marks review number 51 for me, more than half way to 100 reviews and more than half way out of acolyte on the BA nomenclature.

Creemore's seasonal offering; I never understood why they released this around winter and not spring since it's a bock, oh well.

A very attractive clear ruby amber liquid sits here in my Smitchwicks glass, the closest thing to a bock glass I have. On top of this is a smooth tan head with decent retention. Minimal amounts of lacing cling to the glass.

Bursts of caramel and apricot are the first thing noticed. Brown sugar, cocoa and golden raisins add dimension to the malt aromas. Green apple esters lurk in the background manifesting amongst the bubbly effervescence.

A smooth sweetness slides across the palate, raisins, caramel covered apples, brown sugar syrup and hints of chocolate provide for a complex and rich malt profile. Biscuit flavours control up the rich malt sugars, keeping things from becoming cloying. Balancing hops provide just the right amount of bitterness to keep round things out. The lager yeast has done its job keeping flavours clean and in perspective.
The body is creamy and rich while still having that light lager feel one expects.

This is a great brew and I'm glad Creemore have kept it up though I reiterate my lamentation on its lack of availability come spring.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

G: Pint Glass

A: Dark brownish-red body and two fingers of off white creamy foam. Decent retention and thick lacing.

S: Caramel, toffee, biscuits. Nothing else I can note. Nice mixture between the aromas.

T: Caramel, toffee, biscuits, dark fruits, something else I cannot quite label. Again, nice mixture but nothing amazing for me.

M: Medium bodied and low carbonation. This is very smooth and creamy with a slight bitter-carbonated feel. Quite pleasant.

D: This is my firdt bock and I'm not that impressed with it thus far. It was nothing unique or defining for me. Hope to have better ones in the future. Nothing off putting - it's good to see some drinkable canadian crafts in the LCBO.

3.39/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a standard pint glass, and it looks very, very nice. A strong thick head with a deep rich brownish red colour about it. Looks very, very nice.

The nose though is nothing noteworthy. It is slightly sweet with a but of malt underneath but not much more.

Tasting it left me wondering what happened to such a nice looking beer? It looks delicious, smells average and tastes quite thin... There is an underlying sweetness, but it doesn't have any malt I can note within its body, which is so very thin. The beer though is saved by a lingering bitterness that is nice. A good finish on an otherwise non noteworthy beer.

The carbonation seemed light. Our server mentioned this was her favorite red beer, so I am left wondering if it was perhaps served too cold (it was quite cold) or if she just doesn't have the same beer tastes as I do.

A: Pours a dark brown translucent amber, with a reasonably thick off white head. A layer of head retains pretty well, and leaves substantial lacing.

S: Thick and sweet, with toffee, brown sugar, and caramel tones.

T: Like the nose, but balanced with a bit of hops on the finish. A pretty nice blend of flavors.

M: Medium to full body, medium carbonation.

D: Balanced enough that it drinks quite easily.

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

After pouring the off-white head subsides into minimal lacing, yet keeps hanging around in the background never quite disappearing. Has the nice color of a slightly reddish root beer.

Smells of bready malts. No discernible hop aroma. Hints of caramel.

First taste is a rush of malts. Very creamy carbonation. Subsides into a balanced caramel malty bitterness. Nice creamy mouthfeel. Low carbonation is great in this beer. I've quite enjoyed this beer. Malt malt malt. OH, and caramel

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm glad I grabbed a pack of this limited offer. While I probably won't run out to grab another, I will definitely pick up another 6-pack of the next vintage. This is a smooth and easy drinking bock.

I'd like to see a best before date on these fragile brews (unpasturized). I'm starting to wonder if these are last-year's stock... what time of the year are they released? I'm assuming this is the fresh stuff since they advertise it as a beer to "celebrate the festive winter season" which is fast approaching...

It pours dark brown with a medium dense head which recedes quickly with little to no lacing. Against the light it has a nice copper-red hue. The aroma is quite mild but noticeably malty sweet with caramel and bread.

It starts with a light syrupy texture to introduce the malty flavours and finishes with low hop and bitterness that's reminiscent of the Creemore lager flavour. It's relatively smooth with the low carbonation that is on par for this style. While there is no outstanding character (other than malt) the beer is very well balanced and makes for a nice seasonal session beer.

Worth a try.

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a crystal clear coca-cola brown with less than a finger of whispy white head that quickly disappears leaving no lace.

Sweet but subtle smell of dark fruits, juicy raisons and roasted malts. Reminds me a bit of Fuller's ESB.

Chewy raisons and dark fruits upfront followed by roasted buttery malts and a fairly pronounced grassy hop finish. Great flavours but watered down.

Mouthfeel si light, wet and watery, which was the real downfall of this beer. Decent balance and an easy quaffer.

Overall, a decent offering from Creemore, but not their best. If the body was a little heavier and flavours not as watered down, this would be hands down my favourite Creemore brew.

Creemore Springs UrBock from Creemore Springs Brewery Limited