Creemore Springs UrBock - Creemore Springs Brewery Limited

Ontario, Canada

Bock |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 12-10-2001

Bock beers gained notoriety in Munich back in 1612. All the Bavarian nobles were drinking fashionable northern ales known as Einbeck Bier. So Duke Maximillian I of Munich hired his own northern brewmaster, who created a lager similar in character but superior in taste. It won back the local aristocrats. Inspired by his entrepreneurial spirit we started brewing our own urBock – rich, ruby-hued beer with subtle, dark roasted flavours. It’s an aristocratic beer but rest assured, you needn’t be a Duke to enjoy it.

Ratings: 142 | Reviews: 87
3.64/5  rDev 0%

Pours a crystal clear coca-cola brown with less than a finger of whispy white head that quickly disappears leaving no lace.

Sweet but subtle smell of dark fruits, juicy raisons and roasted malts. Reminds me a bit of Fuller's ESB.

Chewy raisons and dark fruits upfront followed by roasted buttery malts and a fairly pronounced grassy hop finish. Great flavours but watered down.

Mouthfeel si light, wet and watery, which was the real downfall of this beer. Decent balance and an easy quaffer.

Overall, a decent offering from Creemore, but not their best. If the body was a little heavier and flavours not as watered down, this would be hands down my favourite Creemore brew.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Had this on tap at the WINKING JUDGE in Hamilton, Ontario. Pours an amber/rouge body with minimal head present. A little watery, but the taste was still great. Malty sweetness was what I was getting. Overall a well balanced beer which I imagine would be really nice after a hard days work.

3.23/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Another trade from ludachris, thanks man. Poured with a solid thumb of head that does lace a little bit, and sustains decently. The beer itself is a deep clear red tinted copper. The carbonation however for this beer looks out of control.

Smell - Definitely getting some grape/raisin smell from this one, as well as a touch of acidic citrus. I'm also catching a bit of sweet malt and apples in the background. However, something is a bit off about the whole experience.

Taste - Well I think I found what is off about the smell, I think I'm tasting prunes, which while different, isn't what I look for in a beer. Starts with sweet malts and then turns a very abundant mixed fruit flavor. I'm catching apples, oranges, grapes, peaches and prunes. The whole thing ends with a slightest touch of fruity hops that frankly taste watered down.

Mouthfeel - This beer leave quite a sweet aftertaste, however it also leaves a bit of an acidic quality. It lingers for a while, but thankfully it does not built upon itself. The beer is smooth going down, but it also far too carbonated.

Drinkability - Well the beer is refreshing and good going down. In addition it's not that heavy, however after a bit of time the acidic quality doesn't sit well in the stomach.

Final Thoughts - This beer was a bit of disappointment, mainly because of how good the Creemore Lager is. It's still pretty good, but it's not sitting very well, which is really a shame. Worth a try for sure, but I wouldn't buy a six pack of it.

Pours a nice, deep copper. Some nice, dripping lace going on. Smell is sweet raisiny malt. Some initial bitterness at the front of the tongue is backed by slightly pruney malt. There's definitely alcohol in this. It's nicely warming. I'd like to see more malt in this though. A lot more. And just...more flavor. It seems to be missing something and it lacks depth. It has a clean mouthfeel, a little thin and almost watery. Yeah. It's drinkable, it's not horrible, but I'm a little underwhelmed. I'll happily finish the six pack I bought but this is definitely not a repeater. Too bad. I love Creemore's lager and I like their Pilsner so I expected more from this.

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

Tawny brush fire with equal parts gold, amber, and ruby-brown. All tones are exhibited to their fullest when viewed with a bright source of light directly behind. A light haze has settled, the beer remains spotlessly clear albeit with transparency a little distorted in parts of deeper shading. There is zero sign of carbonation and big points are lost due to an utterly flat surface. The top is barren without even the slightest indication of outline.

If I wanted cornmeal I'd make polenta, and I'm sure that would turn out much more tasty anyhow. Bocks should smell malty - there's no arguing that. I don't want to hear any if, ands, or buts about it from Molson's or Creemore. This bock smells much more like frozen microwaved corn niblets dabbled with malt extract than they do toasted grains lathered with rich caramel. I appreciate the effort to sweeten it but I can tell it's not authentic.

The taste can't seem to shake off the adjuncts and extracts neither. It offers not even a hint of dried fruit nor candied fruit, no desserts, no chocolate, no caramel or spice nor toasted breads. It's like a macro lager infused with cheap caramel syrup. Good thing I'm not German or I would be incredibly insulted. The ingredients used are clearly cheap and the brewer responsible clearly has either no pride or no understanding of the style.

This isn't anything like a dark, strong, malty beer - it's much more like a heavily filtered, adjunct ridden lager blended with cheap extract flavouring. This is flat, stale, and cloying. It tastes syrupy and possesses no roast or caramelization. This could possibly make something of a cross over beer for macro lager drinkers but for anyone already exposed to good craft beer I'd recommend passing this one over.

There's still half a glass left in front of me and I'm not at all anxious to finish it. I didn't notice too much of a difference when Creemore was bought out by Molson's but I will say this: the once decent UrBock is now nothing more than another macro kitsch imposture peddled as a small scale take on a rich, distinct style. Whether that's a change in my tastes or a change in the production I can't say. What I do know: I won't be revisiting.

3.42/5  rDev -6%

A Christmas present from a Canadian uncle - one of the few nice offerings I've had from the Great White North. Pours a brown color with red highlights, a small head that leaves no lacing. Nose is mild maltiness, and the taste expands on it a little with some caramel and toffee, and some spicy molasses. Body's fine, appropriate to the style. Overall, not bad, but certainly not good by any means.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Finally got my hands on this (the LCBO's up here don't get this). Has a dark ruby color. Nice foam and lacing.

Smells of bread/malts, fruits and earthy. Could really smell anything else.

Tastes of fruits, a bit of caramel malt and a whimper of alcohol. Well I am happy I was able to try it.

3.91/5  rDev +7.4%

This will complete my reviews for Creemore! I hated their Pilsener, which is good as it is a limited edition. Like their lager, and after trying two of these this afternoon I like their bock too. So here's my review. 6.00% abv, 341mL twist bottle. On the back - B2508. Poured into a oversized wine glass.

Dark mahogany body, nice off-white tan-ish head. Gobs of lace. Red accents. Fantastic.

Decent bock nose. Caramel, raisin. A bit vinous. Peach and apricot. Very fruity! Alcohol is a bit forward for 6% abv.

Moderately chewy body, noted carbonation. Palate is exceptionally balanced. Resinous raw hoppiness. Nuts, toast. Apricots and peach again. A bit acidic and sour, maybe because of the lack of pasteurization? The box was dusty at the Beer Store... bah. Super drinkable and refreshing, a great spring beer!

Not sure how fresh this is but this is by far the best of Creemore's brews.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

I had this first in 2006 and it was amazing in every aspect, had it again in 2007 and it failed to please my senses. Nice dark red colour, nice head that disappears too fast, great malty, spicy raisin flavour and the smell I don't really remember but it was good. I would buy this one again. This beer is even better on tap.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours from the bottle a deep, amber brown. Thick head at first, that dissipates quickly, and slight lacing.

Smell is lightly malty, nothing exceptional.

Taste is malty, not strong. A nice amount of lingering flavor.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, not over carbonated, kind of just right.

Definitely a drinkable beer. The scent and taste are not strong, but the lingering aftertaste is quite pleasant. Overall a pretty good brew.

12oz bottle purchased from LCBO. Pours a clear, dark copper with a big head due to a poor pour, but the head goes away pretty quickly. Little lacing. Reasonable malty aroma. Flavour is malt - and that's about it. Finishes a bit thin. I've not much of a bock fan, and this one doesn't get me any closer to changing my mind.

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%

Sampled at The C’est What? Fall Festival of Beers. Nice dark russet body with an effusive white head. Caramel malt in the nose and the flavour, with a fair bit of fruitiness and grain. Surprisingly thick consistency, with a creamy aftertaste. Quite a pleasant brew from Creemore.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

341ml bottle sent to me by pootz, poured into a Pilsner glass.

Pours a beautiful clear, deep blood-red with hints of orange. Almost 2 inches of tan head erupts off a vigorous pour, subsides quickly and leaves a bit of wet lacing. Carbonation is low and lazy. Aroma is deep and malty with some caramel sweetness and some breadiness. Hops impart a noble pepperiness and a pleasant herbal aroma.

First impression of the flavour is an almost overwhelming soapy note that I'm sure is just a lot of herbal hops, but comes off unpleasant. There's a slight metallic sharpness as well. It does get better though as the beer warms a little. Bready at first with some dark fruity flavours, a bit medicinal, like cough syrup in its delivery. A bit of pepper to give it some zip. Finish is earthy, potently herbal, hursky and crackery. Mouthfeel is medium-thick in body with a zippy carbonation. Drier than I expected it would be. Overall not a brutal effort, but the lack of balance in the actual flavour is a little offputting. Lots of individual elements, not enough harmony.

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours the colour of cherry cola, with very little foam. Smell is a bit sharp. Grain, dark and sour fruit(yet not citrus), and cut grass. Very good taste. Malty and sweet, with a bit of plum and cherry. Relatively thick, full mouthfeel. I like it, and will be buying it again. Not complex, but a good beer.

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle of the 2006 release.

Creemore's UrBock has a history of changing slightly year to year so I thought I'd share some tasting notes on this year's release:

This year's batch seems to have been thinned out a bit in body and there is less sweetness and more hops and black malt husk "char" in the finish. This finish combined with the thinner body is reminiscent of a schwarzbier

The look is similar in color to previous years...clear reddish cola color... but the cap is less prominent and reduces more quickly to a ring which leaves some weak lacing.

The main body is thinner to the palate than one expects in a dark bock (or previous releases) and more like a Munich dunkel...taste is well balanced, non cloying, grainy with some cocoa tones....gone are the dried fruit notes the earlier richer sweeter versions had ...there is a "sharpness" to this year's release that may be the result of the increased hopping and "char" astringency combining with what seems like more carbonation than in previous years.

This is still drinkable and clean but this year has a character that seems to lack a defined Bock identity...thinner than one expects in a dark bock....more like a dunkel-schwarzbier hybrid...I still bought a case

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like dark beers and was excited to hear that Creemore Springs makes a bock (the fact that it's a seasonal is kinda cool too). Pours a dark ruby body. There's minimal head, but the colour makes it look thirst-quenching. Some grainy, brownish lacing sticks to the glass. Smells of bready malt, red wine, prunes, and alcohol. Taste has a bold malt character with an initial alcoholic bite. The mouthfeel is pretty much what this beer is all about. Starts off with a moderately carbonated bite and goes down smooth. The aftertaste fades away quickly. This beer is nothing special but it's still drinkable. The higher alcohol content is reasonably well-hidden by a malty taste and crisp mouthfeel. Decent brew.

3.32/5  rDev -8.8%

I'm probably one of the biggest advocates that there is for Creemore Springs' flagship brew, their premium lager (yes, i'll admit it - even after their buyout by Molson) - I've never before, however, had a chance to try their seasonal brew, Creemore Springs Traditional urBock. Well, let's change that, shall we.

Of course, the most dissapointing thing about the Molson takeover is the fact that Creemore is now using standard brown bottles, as opposed to the unique shape that previously seemed to define the symbology of the brew. But alas, I poured this beer aggressively, and was still only left without a finger of head that dissappeared inside of thirty seconds (although with a considerable amount of - admittedly, a little runny - lacing). The brew itself has a reddish amber glow to it, especially around the edges, with the body being a just barely transluncent brownish-black. Not bad, though I'll admit my relative ignorance with regards to the style.

Smell seems faintly skunky, even though the expiration date is long off and the beer was well-stored in a closed six-pack carton. Seems faintly winey, almost sour, some vague fruit notes, strong barley malts and hops. Faint caramel, perhaps. The slightest hint of some sort of chocolate, maybe? A lot of really faint odours here that are present, but hard to detect and even harder to distinguish. Still, not bad at all.

Taste is quite malty - bready, grainy on the tongue. A slight bitterness throughout that mingles a little bit with the less dominant herby-floral-y hops. Some roasted malts... slightly caramel-y, nutty, burnt, maybe. Finishes dry, with a battle between the malts and hops for attention on the tastebuds. Reminds me a little of Wychwood's Fiddler's Elbow - though somewhat better (and this is decidedly not an English Pale Ale, but that was the closest comparison i could come up with in my mind). There's nothing totally special here, but definitely a respectable taste that would be beyond the palate of many beginners (it should, however, be pointed out that it fails to live up to the standard of Creemore's Premium Lager, which is by far one of my favourite brews).

Mouthfeel is not bad. The carbonation is perhaps a little sharp on the tongue - but then, I'm picky about my carbonation levels. Medium body, though it seems to 'thin' out and become a tad watery as it sits on your tongue. Drinkability is something I'm not so sure about. I suppose there's a reason that this is a seasonal brew - higher alcohol to warm you and a slightly more complex taste to catch your interest during the winter months. However, I could still realistically see myself having two or three in an extended sitting with friends over a roaring fire, or maybe a game of euchre.

Creemore Springs' urBock is a respectable brew that fails to amaze, but also doesnt dissapoint. Taste is interesting enough to appeal to a beer advocate, and even if it's nothing superbly special, it's also something I'll look forward to around the Christmas season. Worth a try, I say - but only after you've tried Creemore's excellent lager first.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Another nice looking beer. A clear, dark red, fairly solid all the way through. Not much of a head, but I didn't let it warm up enough. Lots of lacing.

Tangy aroma, definitely some grains, a bit of dark, sour fruit. Sharp hoppiness as it warms, and a bit of alcohol presence.

Taste is actually quite malty, and much sweeter than the smell would indicate. Some riper fruits in there, but not as dark as the aroma, again. Some sugarcane or caramel presence, and very mild toasted malts.

Mouthfeel is nice and full. Very mild aftertaste with no off notes. Quite drinkable, and I'm not sure which of Creemore's two main offerings I like better (although I think I'd still lean toward the other one).

4.17/5  rDev +14.6%

This poured a nice dark red almost brown with a very small head that didn't last very long. Smell is good, fresh barley malt. This stuff tastes great, a caramel body with a mildly bitter finish, it's carbonation is pretty strong but not overbearing as to make it hard to swallow This stuff is dangerously easy to drink. Apparently this won't be around long, so i hope to enjoy this until the end of the season comes along.

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

Dated L29/05, I presume that's Dec 29, 2005. It's supposedly delivered fresh weekly, and I picked this up from a refridgerated section of an LCBO.

This is an old friend of mine, which use to be my winter staple. I'm not sure if it's not as good as it use to be, or if my palate has simply evolved.

Owned by Molson, it's now found in a standard twist-off bottle. The old plastic cap was kind of dumb (though good for homebrew), but I did really like the old metal capped, non-twist top bottle, with the Creemore banner around the neck.

A: Ruby-brown, with an off-white head, that desparately tries to cling to the glass.

S: Caramel, malty sweetness, with a little grain.

T: This one's all about the malt (caramel, bread, with a little nut). A little more grainy, dark-fruit/prune than I remember (with a little burnt flavour as well).

M: Body is on the heavy side of moderate, carbonation is slightly less than moderate (and lower than it has previously been).

D: VERY drinkable. This one can be trouble!

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Now Im not much of a bock fan, but this beer was awesome. This is the best bock style beer Ive ever had.

Its packaged in a nice 341ml bottle with an raised ring around the neck with the words 'Creemore Springs Brewery Limited". It pours from its billygoat clad bottle a brilliant reddish brown. Very bright red glints dance in a sea of dark copper. The head is big and creamy at first but quickly reduces to a tan miniscus. Lacing is good.

The aroma is winey and grainy, with lots of fruityness and malt sweetness. Theres also some roasted malt bitterness and hop leaf in the nose. the taste is malty and incredibly rich. The malt character lean away from dark fruit or christmas pudding (which I dont like that much) and more towards grainy bready flavors. Theres a slight dark malt bitterness which melds incredibly with a herbal, floral hop character. The finish is dryish with residual malt sweetness battling with hop bitterness for my attention. The mouthfeel is wonderfully creamy and full of textured busy carbonation. Alcohol is warming and compliments the other flavors throughout.

This is one incredible bock. Its not overly sweet like I find so many others of the style. It has great balance and an incredibly nuanced malt character. This beer is a must try, especially if you arent big on bocks.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a mahogany red/brown, large off-white head forms, goes away rather quickly but leaves some nice lacing. Smells sweet, grassy, earthy, some citrus notes are present. Tastes pretty rich and malty, some sweetness, some floral hoppiness to the end and a smooth finish. Mouthfeel is medium full, very smooth, this one has been sitting around for a while to mellow, it gains a nice roasty/hoppy character. Decent brew for Ontario.

3.42/5  rDev -6%

Mostly clear, medium brown colour with deep coppery red highlights topped by a thin, light tan head. Rich malty aroma with some caramel sweetness that reminds me of some British ales. Some graininess and a light floral hop smell. Creamy, malty flavour that's balanced towards sweetness. Little bitterness or hop flavour with the graininess coming through here as well. Medium/full body with moderate carbonation composed of very fine bubbles that meld well with the body. There's also a bit of stickiness that remains on the palate. Not a bad beer at all... I just hope Molson/Coors decides to keep this one.

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: Dark copper, but a bit more on the grainy brown side. The head is patchy and mocha.

Smell: I'm pretty sure I detected some Saaz in there, or a piney, spicy equivalent. Some caramel as well.

Taste: Relatively light carbonation and taste, roasty caramel and maybe a bit buttery, mouthfeel is superior to most lagers at first, but dies off quickly.

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%

A very darm amber beer, who goes into the color of the wine, with no head, only a little head. Smells of caramel and malt nothing else. The taste is very smooth, maltish, flavors of roasted coffee(espresso) caramel and alcohol. A taste of chocolate is also perceivable at much, pretty sweet of a seasonal.

Creemore Springs UrBock from Creemore Springs Brewery Limited