Back Hand Of God Stout - Crannóg Ales

No picture uploaded.

Crannóg Ales visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Irish Dry Stout |  5.20% ABV

Lean in body and powerful in flavour, Back Hand of God Stout has won many consumers' choice awards. This dry stout is easy to drink, rich and inviting. It is extraordinarily smooth and mildly hopped with a distinct coffee/chocolate presence.

(Beer added by: canucklehead on 03-01-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Kantifave, Oct 28, 2014

Torontoblue, Dec 14, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

This is the best stout made in B.C.. It is jet black and full of
flavours suggesting chocolate, malt and burnt cake. It is not easy to find on tap and not available in bottle but you have to taste this beer if you visit B.C.. These guys also make a great
brown ale.

canucklehead, Mar 01, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

ChuckGnarly, Sep 25, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

I love the Dry Irish Stout style. I always find that they're heavy on the coffee taste/aroma that roasted malts impart. I don't even drink coffee. Back Hand of God is no exception. This cola looking beer has a strong coffee aroma with flecks of cocoa mingled in, and burnt bread. When supped this continues in one the smoothest, and slightly creamy, stouts you can imagine. There is a nice light hop presence through out that just adds even more to a beer that such big flavours at 5.2%. CAMRA Vancouver members have given this beer, and brewery, many awards and they're deserved. This is BC's best stout, and the best of the kind that I've had so far.

EskimoDave, Apr 08, 2010
4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Having had this fresh a number of times over the years, I'm updating my review.

Certainly among the best dry stouts.

Original review:

I had this at Christies Carriage House in Victoria, BC. It paired nicely with their breaded oysters.

A 2.5: Black, slight ruby tinge, NO HEAD!

S 3: Fruity with a bit of roast malt.

T 4: Fruity, pleasantly roasty (like a darker roasted coffee, but MUCH more balanced). It's a nicely balanced dry stout. Not a lot of depth to the flavour, but certainly a better flavour than most.

M 3.5: Light to moderate body, Light carbonation, dry finish.

D 4.5: Very drinkable. This could be a session stout for the masses.

Derek, Dec 23, 2005

R_Kole, Sep 01, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I love backhand of god. crannog makes me happy.

Appearance - Darkish Colour, no head with minimal lacing and a thin ring of foam

Smell - Coffee and Malt, a full smell that you get right in the full of your nose.

Taste - Coffee and Chocolate. A very pleasing finish as well.

Mouthfeel - Pleasing medium body, not too full, not too much carbonation.

Overall - Not as heavy as some stouts that I have had in the past. But, of course, very pleasing overall. I always buy this when I see it on tap. Definitely worth the price of admission, so to speak.

beerayrton, Nov 29, 2011

Erik-P, Oct 26, 2013

McBastard, Nov 17, 2011

Cidius, Oct 16, 2013

KalanM, Nov 29, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

iain_reeve, Sep 16, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

On-tap at 13 Monks in Westbank after visiting a few area wineries...

This beer arrives in a nice tall pint glass, from which I had to pick off some flecks of ice around the rim, the glass obviously having been recently removed from the freezer. I wasn't really in a hurry, so 10 minutes later, when the waitress asked why I hadn't tried my beer yet, I mentioned the preferred serving method, and she apologized, also adding that she could 'microwave it for me'... I think she was joking...

This pint appears black, with some cola highlights at the base, and one finger of thin creamy beige head, which eventually leaves a spider web of lace around the glass. It smells of roasted malt, creamy grain, and earthy hops. The taste is soft roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, cream (upon saying this to my gf, she tried it, and said "hell yeah, that's creamy!), an echo of coffee, and earthy hops. The carbonation is quite mild, the body full, smooth, silky, and creamy, and it finishes off-dry, some caramel cream and dry chocolate persisting.

A stellar dry stout, smooth and creamy, nicely balanced and drinkable - definitely the best I've tried from Canada.

biboergosum, Jul 02, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a dark black color with no head. Nice roasted malt aroma. This is very tasty, with flavors of sweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee. Nice mouthfeel, medium-light body with a dry finish. Very drinkable, this would make a great session stout.

chickenm, Feb 28, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

pint at Checkers in Vernon 25/1/12

A dark cola with a dark thin film that had no room due to a top filled pint, some polka dot lacing where the head had a chance

EDIT went back for a jug and when I poured it myself I got a thick mocha head and could see 6 distinct rings after each sip and still had foam at the bottom

S soft caramel and chocolate milk with a little dark roast coffee and nutty chocolate, smells a little faint however but what's there I like
EDIT second time around we ordered a jug half an hour before drinking it and much stronger smell after it warmed

T quite an improvement over the smell with some char, espresso and darker chocolate, flavours much more bold then the nose but still has all I smell just a darker roast and much stronger

M medium bodied and quite silky, just enough bubbles and a coffee after taste lingers faintly for a while

O solid beer for sure with great flavours for a lighter stout, I had a couple pints and was far from being board

I didn't expect to see this on tap at Checkers of all places but I jumped on it for sure. This was on my BC trip list but I didn't think it would be so easy too find. I was going to go to the brewery to get a growler of this and... now that I think of it I still might so I can try it at a higher temp as I don't think the ice cold serving did it any justice. a re-rate perhaps?

wordemupg, Jan 25, 2012

JonnyBeers, Jan 11, 2013

rwshelton2, Aug 24, 2013

LampertLand, Sep 07, 2014

Morpheus, Dec 31, 2012

ZachT, Sep 13, 2013

KStark, Mar 11, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the Alibi Room. Finally! Been trying to get this one for years but its never been on when I'm in Vancouver.

Pours an opaque dark reddish black, just the faintest of red in the edges but otherwise can't be seen through, medium sized light tan head forms and settles to a chunky ring around the glass, some solid lacing forms.

Smell is nice, all you need in a stout, dry roast, some chocolate, lightly nutty, a touch of fruity, oats, lots of biscuit, light espresso notes, well put together.

Taste is similar, very dry and roasty up front, chocolate wafer, some caramel sweetness, oats, a bit of fruit, very biscuity, more roast, a touch of nuttiness, dry roast finish.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with low to medium carbonation, very smooth. Not the best dry stout I've had, but definitely up there with the style. Spot on stuff.

Viggo, Sep 23, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap...Alibi Room, Vancouver BC-March 1, 2009

I got this in a round of 4 taster sized glasses. Take the appearance figure with a grain of salt since I didn't have a normal scale to view it at.

Appearance: Poured a nice dark ruby red-black colour that laced on the glass with long lasting white head.

Smell: Pretty normal, but with a bit of chocolate and coffee poking through on the second sniff.

Taste: Oh wow. Great stuff. Incredible bitter sweet chocolate flavour in this one. Slight coffee tones as well.

Mouthfeel: Quite creamy, little carbonation as wood be expected from an Irish Stout. Creamy and velvety. Quite a smooth sipper.

Drinkability: I could drink lots of this if only it were less expensive on tap, or available in bottles at the local BCLDB.

Overall: Great chocolaty stout worthy of a visit if you can find it on tap. I love the fact that it is all organic as well. More organic beers should live up to the standard that Crannog has set.

Hornet2003, Mar 02, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Alibi Room with Tigglmtl, and so a surprisingly good stout that is underated. Great roast coffee aroma. Creamy medium mouthfeel taste, very fresh (and the all the difference) and roasty coffee. Lacey on black. Above average carbonation.Oh, and hopped up.

Sammy, Feb 24, 2008