Back Hand Of God Stout - Crannóg Ales

No picture uploaded.

Crannóg Ales visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Irish Dry Stout |  5.20% ABV

Lean in body and powerful in flavour, Back Hand of God Stout has won many consumers' choice awards. This dry stout is easy to drink, rich and inviting. It is extraordinarily smooth and mildly hopped with a distinct coffee/chocolate presence.

(Beer added by: canucklehead on 03-01-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
LampertLand

02-17-2012 07:36:06 | More by LampertLand
wordemupg

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

pint at Checkers in Vernon 25/1/12

A dark cola with a dark thin film that had no room due to a top filled pint, some polka dot lacing where the head had a chance

EDIT went back for a jug and when I poured it myself I got a thick mocha head and could see 6 distinct rings after each sip and still had foam at the bottom

S soft caramel and chocolate milk with a little dark roast coffee and nutty chocolate, smells a little faint however but what's there I like
EDIT second time around we ordered a jug half an hour before drinking it and much stronger smell after it warmed

T quite an improvement over the smell with some char, espresso and darker chocolate, flavours much more bold then the nose but still has all I smell just a darker roast and much stronger

M medium bodied and quite silky, just enough bubbles and a coffee after taste lingers faintly for a while

O solid beer for sure with great flavours for a lighter stout, I had a couple pints and was far from being board

I didn't expect to see this on tap at Checkers of all places but I jumped on it for sure. This was on my BC trip list but I didn't think it would be so easy too find. I was going to go to the brewery to get a growler of this and... now that I think of it I still might so I can try it at a higher temp as I don't think the ice cold serving did it any justice. a re-rate perhaps?

01-25-2012 22:48:49 | More by wordemupg

benbou17

12-05-2011 03:30:41 | More by benbou17
beerayrton

4.5/5  rDev +9%

I love backhand of god. crannog makes me happy.

Appearance - Darkish Colour, no head with minimal lacing and a thin ring of foam

Smell - Coffee and Malt, a full smell that you get right in the full of your nose.

Taste - Coffee and Chocolate. A very pleasing finish as well.

Mouthfeel - Pleasing medium body, not too full, not too much carbonation.

Overall - Not as heavy as some stouts that I have had in the past. But, of course, very pleasing overall. I always buy this when I see it on tap. Definitely worth the price of admission, so to speak.

11-29-2011 03:35:15 | More by beerayrton
McBastard

4.5/5  rDev +9%

11-17-2011 02:14:08 | More by McBastard
DaftCaskBC

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at Rogue in Vancouver.

A: 1/4" mocha coloured head over black liquid.

S: Coffee, toasted malt and chocolate malt.

T: Bitter toasted malt and dark chocolate up front which transitions to a finish that tastes like caramel malt and coffee.

M: Thin viscosity and medium carbonation.

O: A drinkable stout that could benefit most from a better mouthfeel.

09-29-2011 23:01:03 | More by DaftCaskBC
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

On tap at Kingfisher's in Maple Ridge.

Appearance. Pours a deep, deep brown with a half a finger of light tan head.

Smell. Light notes of sweet chocolate and roasty coffee.

Taste. Roasty coffee and toasty malt, a little chocolate. Not much for sweetness.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body with light carbonation.

Overall. A pleasant and lighter tasting stout. Tasted good but was left wanting a little more of that taste. An imperial version would probably be fantastic ...but that's neither here nor there.

04-17-2011 20:11:54 | More by Rutager
mfaulk

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Strong chocolate dominates smell and taste at first, but once acclimated some nuttiness and roast malt comes through. Chocolate seemed excessive during the first half of the pint. I didn't get much by way of coffee.

Smell is uneventful but reasonable: chocolate, with maybe some fruit. No hop aroma.

Great mouthfeel: Silky texture. Enough body to be satisfying without being too heavy. Carbonation seems to deliver the right amount of creaminess. Well-balanced dry finish.

12-12-2010 01:27:41 | More by mfaulk
Viggo

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at the Alibi Room. Finally! Been trying to get this one for years but its never been on when I'm in Vancouver.

Pours an opaque dark reddish black, just the faintest of red in the edges but otherwise can't be seen through, medium sized light tan head forms and settles to a chunky ring around the glass, some solid lacing forms.

Smell is nice, all you need in a stout, dry roast, some chocolate, lightly nutty, a touch of fruity, oats, lots of biscuit, light espresso notes, well put together.

Taste is similar, very dry and roasty up front, chocolate wafer, some caramel sweetness, oats, a bit of fruit, very biscuity, more roast, a touch of nuttiness, dry roast finish.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with low to medium carbonation, very smooth. Not the best dry stout I've had, but definitely up there with the style. Spot on stuff.

09-23-2010 16:55:36 | More by Viggo
biboergosum

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

On-tap at 13 Monks in Westbank after visiting a few area wineries...

This beer arrives in a nice tall pint glass, from which I had to pick off some flecks of ice around the rim, the glass obviously having been recently removed from the freezer. I wasn't really in a hurry, so 10 minutes later, when the waitress asked why I hadn't tried my beer yet, I mentioned the preferred serving method, and she apologized, also adding that she could 'microwave it for me'... I think she was joking...

This pint appears black, with some cola highlights at the base, and one finger of thin creamy beige head, which eventually leaves a spider web of lace around the glass. It smells of roasted malt, creamy grain, and earthy hops. The taste is soft roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, cream (upon saying this to my gf, she tried it, and said "hell yeah, that's creamy!), an echo of coffee, and earthy hops. The carbonation is quite mild, the body full, smooth, silky, and creamy, and it finishes off-dry, some caramel cream and dry chocolate persisting.

A stellar dry stout, smooth and creamy, nicely balanced and drinkable - definitely the best I've tried from Canada.

07-02-2010 20:58:17 | More by biboergosum
EskimoDave

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

I love the Dry Irish Stout style. I always find that they're heavy on the coffee taste/aroma that roasted malts impart. I don't even drink coffee. Back Hand of God is no exception. This cola looking beer has a strong coffee aroma with flecks of cocoa mingled in, and burnt bread. When supped this continues in one the smoothest, and slightly creamy, stouts you can imagine. There is a nice light hop presence through out that just adds even more to a beer that such big flavours at 5.2%. CAMRA Vancouver members have given this beer, and brewery, many awards and they're deserved. This is BC's best stout, and the best of the kind that I've had so far.

04-08-2010 05:10:13 | More by EskimoDave
chickenm

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a dark black color with no head. Nice roasted malt aroma. This is very tasty, with flavors of sweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee. Nice mouthfeel, medium-light body with a dry finish. Very drinkable, this would make a great session stout.

02-28-2010 01:27:46 | More by chickenm
ritzkiss

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

On tap at Christie's Carriage House. Arrived with no head, dark dark black pint.

Smell is light. Served WAY too cold! Warms to roasting malts, light hints of hops.

Taste is a nice mixture of roasting malts, espresso, slight hints of hops in the finish. Light body but I tell myself that this is the style. Very drinkable. Great taste for the light ABV - one of the few good all organic beers out there. Delicious.

05-10-2009 05:43:15 | More by ritzkiss
Hornet2003

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap...Alibi Room, Vancouver BC-March 1, 2009

I got this in a round of 4 taster sized glasses. Take the appearance figure with a grain of salt since I didn't have a normal scale to view it at.

Appearance: Poured a nice dark ruby red-black colour that laced on the glass with long lasting white head.

Smell: Pretty normal, but with a bit of chocolate and coffee poking through on the second sniff.

Taste: Oh wow. Great stuff. Incredible bitter sweet chocolate flavour in this one. Slight coffee tones as well.

Mouthfeel: Quite creamy, little carbonation as wood be expected from an Irish Stout. Creamy and velvety. Quite a smooth sipper.

Drinkability: I could drink lots of this if only it were less expensive on tap, or available in bottles at the local BCLDB.

Overall: Great chocolaty stout worthy of a visit if you can find it on tap. I love the fact that it is all organic as well. More organic beers should live up to the standard that Crannog has set.

03-02-2009 01:12:09 | More by Hornet2003
Sammy

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Alibi Room with Tigglmtl, and so a surprisingly good stout that is underated. Great roast coffee aroma. Creamy medium mouthfeel taste, very fresh (and the all the difference) and roasty coffee. Lacey on black. Above average carbonation.Oh, and hopped up.

02-24-2008 20:14:05 | More by Sammy
Doppelmax

New Hampshire

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

I tried this stout at a wine bar/restaurant in Oliver, BC It was served way to cold. I had to wait 20 minutes and hold my hands around the glass to get it up to the proper temp.
It seemed a bit light for a stout, more like a dark porter. The head vanished very quickly with no trace of lace on the glass.
The aroma was pleasant with a strong roast malt nose as I expected.
I was pleasantly surprised that the flavor developed into a well balanced taste after my pint warmed up.
Decent body and the carbonation seemed right on.
I would have had another if I would have had enough time to let it warm up.

01-24-2007 03:42:50 | More by Doppelmax
Derek

4.51/5  rDev +9.2%

Having had this fresh a number of times over the years, I'm updating my review.

Certainly among the best dry stouts.

Original review:

I had this at Christies Carriage House in Victoria, BC. It paired nicely with their breaded oysters.

A 2.5: Black, slight ruby tinge, NO HEAD!

S 3: Fruity with a bit of roast malt.

T 4: Fruity, pleasantly roasty (like a darker roasted coffee, but MUCH more balanced). It's a nicely balanced dry stout. Not a lot of depth to the flavour, but certainly a better flavour than most.

M 3.5: Light to moderate body, Light carbonation, dry finish.

D 4.5: Very drinkable. This could be a session stout for the masses.

12-23-2005 23:29:50 | More by Derek
canucklehead

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

This is the best stout made in B.C.. It is jet black and full of
flavours suggesting chocolate, malt and burnt cake. It is not easy to find on tap and not available in bottle but you have to taste this beer if you visit B.C.. These guys also make a great
brown ale.