Lakeport Wee Willy Dark Scottish Style - Lakeport Brewing Company

Euro Dark Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-23-2004

Reviews by jimbotrost:
3.62/5  rDev +19.5%

Purchased at the LCBO in Sarnia and was the least expensive offering available. Deep dark ruby hue with full white head that disipates way too soon. Nose is malt accented, with notes of molasses and general sweetness. Flavor continues the sweet tradition. THis is actually a light and crisp beer with some maltiness that is nice and not cloying. Good for the price.

2.51/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

So this stuff has managed to infiltrate Alberta, I'd never heard of it before, nor Lakeport Brewing either, until I noticed they make Brava. Cartoony label, although I like the label around the neck, nice touch. Poured from a brown 341 ml bottle. Small tan head on the pour, recedes quickly to a thin ring. The body is a decent clear walnut hue. The nose contains sweet malt, molasses, and gets a bit cloying. The flavour is very subdued and watered-down. Toasted malt, caramel, with a slight nutty aftertaste, but it's all very ephemeral, no serious presence. The mouthfeel is very watery, far too watery for a Scottish style anything. On that note, I must say that having a Wee Willy is nothing to brag about, and isn't going to impress anyone (wink wink).

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%

I'm doing a "live" review of this beer, as I am drinking it right now.

The appearance is an amber dark red, with a nice robe of reddish lights.
The head dissapeared very quicky, not even 15 secs after I poured it.

She doesnt smell much, a fainted smell of caramel is present, nothing else, a water smell is also present.

The taste is not very present! Actually third sip and she doesnt taste much.
I taste water and carbonization, and an after taste of caramel that faints very quicky.

2.24/5  rDev -26.1%

Apparently this isn't a Scottish Ale... it is a "Dark Scottish Style Premium Lager". Got this in a little local trade - this is only sold in 24s and I wanted to try it. Here we go. 5.00% abv, 341mL twist. Poured into a wine glass at fridge temp.

And dark it is, no lying there. Brown like oversteeped tea. A bit on the red side. Totally clear. Small yellowish tan head, poor retention - goes to cloud and collar very quickly. Decent lace though.

Lager yeast nose. Metallic notes. A bit of sugary maltiness.

Spice, metal, lager yeast. Overly sugary. A bit nutty. Watery feel but super carbonated.

Not recommended. Where is Scotland in this brew? Could be a rare drainpour for me.... oh... and it was.

3.76/5  rDev +24.1%

Finally! A cheap beer for all occasions. I liked this one a lot. I have to admit though that I only bought it for two reasons it was the cheapest thing in the beer store and mainly the label. I am glad I tried it though. I wish Lakeport would come out with a line of merchandise for this one. I brought it to a party and most people enjoyed it.

Appearance- Dark reddish-brown with a decent head.

Smell- Average not to strong.

Taste- I liked it. It was mildly sweet.

Mouthfeel- Not watery but not harsh.

Drinkability- Smooth with an easy aftertaste. A great beer to chill with.

2.03/5  rDev -33%

it's not as bad as some other stuff from Lakeport, but that's not saying a whole lot. Body isnt that dark at all, so I do not know why it is called a dark beer. Tastes ok, but similar to many domestics. Not much of a scotch style to it. I can taste alcohol a bit, and some molasses. I can't say much more. It is my grandfather's favourite beer. That much I can say.

3.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance, a brownish hue. A decent head after the pour.
Smell, a nuttish, molasses, sweet. Not overwhelming, but the presence is there. Nothing impressive though.
The taste, is a toasty malt flavoring with a hint of sweetness.
Mouthfeel, is quite watery but a decent beer to relax with.
Drinkability, is very easy. This is more of a beer to have a few tastings of rather than one or two quality tastes of a highly rated beer.
My personal feelings though, I liked it. Again, this is nothing special. To be honest, I was/is in Canada...stopped into the Beer Store and wanted something I've never had before. And it was a bit on the cheaper side. Not disapointed one bit wth this brew. Nothing spectacular, but I would definitely have it again.

3.45/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Last night I got me a Wee Willy and actually it was not that bad.

This poured a rather nice dark red with some head and slight lacing at the top. Smell was sweet with a touch of malt. Taste was not bad; slightly sweet, slightly malty and slightly metallic, characteristic to most Lakeport brews. That metallic flavor affected the smoothness of this brew but not the drinkability. For it's very low price this beer is not bad at all and very sessionable.

This will likely be my new budget beer of choice until something better comes along.

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

This is a decent beer, just picked it up last week in Hamilton Ontario while I was on a business trip. It pours nicely and has a nice color and clarity. Unlike other Scottish style ales, this is a very light bodied beer. Not traditional in any sense of the style. Nose is nice and just a slight malt bite that leaves a faint aftertast that is rather pleasant.

Not a good beer for purists, but a good intro beer for those leaving the mass produced flavored water. I would purchase this one again as it is refreshing without being heavy. The body lends itself for a good BBQ beer.

Great for a picnic on the Hamilton escartment.

I was disappointed with this one, however, the appearance was nice, a bight ruby-amber with a tight tan head, but nothing like a real scotch ale. Aroma is sweet, malty, a bit of caramel, but more of an artificial caramel. Flavor is artificial as well, but not offensive, with a hint of chocolate as it warmed. Finish was rough and tough to pinpoint. Not a complete disaster, but nothing I’ll be rushing to try again. Nice label, but other than, that extremely average.

3.15/5  rDev +4%

Far too light for the Scottish Ale style. Pours a dark red colour, some head, most of which would fade. A very light mouthfeel. Flavours aren't comprimised too much, but are certainly not all that pronouced to begin with. Hardly any roasted notes, not much malt to carry itself on. Fairly good drinkability though (only a resulting from lacking the aroma and character most cheap, Ontario swill carry with them) Still, what else would you expect from a value brand offering?
Not planning to ever revisit.

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%

Lakeport is finally doing something right. I took you guys a long enough time to find a beer that I would most certainly enjoy.

Though the aroma does have a hint of a water-basing, and has a slightly metallic tasting, the ale is definitely a long summer-night beer. In my opinion, it can be enjoyed with just about any food group, my favourite is a nice steak and baked potatoe.

The colouration is a nice dark red, almost a medium red-brown, with almost no head to speak of. Though the chocolate is fully expressed at the first tasting. A very easy drinking beer, and fairly descent feel to the palate. At $21.30CDN for a 24, this is a great deal, for a descent beer.

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

I'm writing another review for this beer. I've recently had it again and noticed quite a difference from what I remember. Excellent colour. A dark black/red that reminds me a bit of an old friend's homemade root beer. Very little head, though. Perhaps a fingernail tip thick. Smells alright. A blended sweetness of chocolate, barley, and coffee. Very little hops, if any. Taste is pretty decent. Lightly sweet, bit of coffee and chocolate mixed with barley and nuts. Again, no hops. Bit of a thin mouthfeel. Watery. But it's a good, drinkable beer. It's okay, and priced right. For a cheap, bargain beer, you get more than you pay for. A surprising beer from Lakeport.

Lakeport Wee Willy Dark Scottish Style from Lakeport Brewing Company