Brewers' Cut California Common - Real Ale Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

California Common / Steam Beer |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: gtermi on 02-08-2014)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

deadliest, Feb 22, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

HaydenWinkler, Mar 05, 2014
4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an Anchor Steam pint glass. How appropriate.

A: Pours a slightly hazed golden, copper color. A rocky, two finger white head rises with excellent retention. Tons of lacing, in rings and globs sticking all the way down the glass.
S: A perfect mineral like yeast character in the nose. Biscuit malts, crackers, with a light grassy/floral finish. Simple, but excellent.
T: Like the nose, simple, but just incredible. Lager yeast, and almost mineral like up front, That quickly fades to biscuit malts, and maybe a touch of sweet caramel malt. Finishes with a light spice, and dry grassy/floral hops.
M/D: A medium body with near perfect carbonation. Crisp, clean, and refreshing. Finishes, mostly with a nice dry bite that brings everything together. So enjoyable and easy to drink. I can't get enough of this.

I love me some Anchor Steam. Though this is superb. Maybe it is that I have gotten this pretty fresh. Unfortunately, most Anchor products are beyond old, so I don't purchase them as much as I want. Simplicity at its best, and petty much everything I want for the style. Please make this year round.

champ103, Feb 22, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: The beer pours a slightly cloudy body with a thin head that leaves a tiny bit of lacing around the glass.

S: This has a nice strong malt aroma with a bit of sweetness. This too me is what a lager should always smell like.

T: This is delicious! It has a strong malt backbone with a slight bit of bitterness and a nice sweetness as the beer lingers.

M: There is a a slight tingle in the back of the throat and the tip of the tongue. It goes down rather easy, which makes it easy to drink another and another.

O: This is a delicious beer that I could drink all the time.

gtermi, Feb 08, 2014

ckeegan04, May 18, 2014

Gagnonsux, Feb 12, 2014

SavageHopHead, Mar 07, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Reviewed side-by-side with Anchor Steam Beer.

A standard pour of Real Ale's California Common yields a medium-amber body just slightly lighter in color than its comparison partner, Anchor Steam's. The beer's off-white head falls quickly. Moderate carbonation is appealing.

Real Ale's nose is more appealing than Anchor Steam's. Toasty malts are complemented by a hint of caramel or toffee, and balanced by the distinct aromas of fresh, herbal hops. I pick up a bit of thyme and basil.

The taste more or less follows the nose. Bitterness contributes a bit of complexity to the flavor profile, but the beer is a bit sweeter on the back end than I'd like. The flavor profile is more complex than Anchor Steam Beer's, but that doesn't make it better. Thyme, basil, and mint mingle with toasted grain and caramel. I like that. But I'm stuck feeling that the hang isn't bitter or dry enough.

The mouthfeel is nice, though carbonation is leaning towards astringent.

Of the "Brewer's Cut" offerings I've tried, California Common is the best. Hands down. That isn't saying much, since I've been underwhelmed by the series so far. But California Common is good. Quite good. Others on BeerAdvocate have called for this to be a year-round offering. I wouldn't sign that petition. If you have a chance to pick up a bottle, do so. If you've missed your chance, don't sweat it.

GMB, Feb 26, 2014
3.91/5  rDev -0.3%

Not especially outstanding in appearance, but not bad either. Orange-tan and clear, without a large head or lots of lace, but not bad.

The aroma and flavor kind of reminded me of their wonderful Altbier, a good malty base and a nice bit of floral hops, combined with a lightly grassy / almost hay-like notes, finished off with a little bready biscuit and caramel malt notes.

Carbonation is about spot-on, despite the lack of head.

Damn drinkable, I'll say that for sure. Hard to keep from pounding that first one, as I was very thirsty after a long day! Certainly well crafted tho, RABC never lets me down. Because they're so good it makes it easy to buy local too.

The more I drink it, the more I want this to be a year-round beer. A buddy of mine who doesn't drink that much beer says "if this were how all beer tasted, I'd drink beer all the time." It's grown on us both. Dangerously delicious.

AlCaponeJunior, Apr 29, 2014
3.91/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really like Anchor Steam, but at $9.75 a six pack, I rarely buy it. This was only $7.25 at the local HEB, so I thought I'd give it a try. This is a very smooth beer, with good carbonation, yeasty bread flavor up front, floral hops, and just the right amount of bitterness. Dry and very refreshing on a 90 degree day. A good beer to start the summer with. I'll buy more over the next few months if it's available.

Davideo, May 31, 2014