Lost Gold IPA - Real Ale Brewing Company

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-29-2004

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint. A deep yellow color with a thin head, but nice lacing. A pleasant floral smell. The taste is floral and a bit piney. Not a bad IPA!

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This was above average for me. I wasn't extremely impressed but j would buy/recommend again. Very light, maybe due to me drinking it out of the bottle so no aroma was available.

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from tap minimal head. Nice lacing. Pick up mild citrus notes. Nice malt backbone. This is more on the dank side. Has a real nice balance with a nice bitter finish. I can't believe I have not been drinking more from this brewery

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Best before 18 January 2015.
Hazy gold. Smells hoppy and super fruity. I love it.
It's good. Crisp and heavily citrusy, the main taste is short lived, and the aftertaste is clean, hoppy, and vaguely metallic. Lemon zest is the main flavor.
I like it, and I'd drink it again, but it's not worth going out of your way for.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Spiegelau IPA Glass.
LOOK: Pours with a finger's worth of off-white foam that halves itself within 30 seconds. Has a very dull, cloudy yellow color. Plenty thick lacing. There is a plethora of rising bubbles, so I am unsure as to why the foam head is not bigger. We have a mystery on our hands, folks.
SMELL: Has strong aromas of citrus hops that mix with mild bready malt, pale malt, lemon peel, and fruit (mango, peach, and apricot) aromas.
TASTE: The first flavor that strikes my palate is a combination of strong citrus hops and mild pale malt. Almost instantly, mild bready malt and salt flavors (yet another mystery because I did not smell any salt!) join in. Subtle fruit and lemon peel flavors enter immediately after act 2 as all flavors persist except for pale malts, which become hardly noticeable.
FEEL: Surprisingly light-bodied (no me gusta) with a subtle carbonation (si me gusta) and slightly creamy texture. And of course, since it is an IPA, it has a unpleasantly dry finish.
NOTE: This was a pretty good IPA. Not quite in the DFH category of IPAs, though.

3.12/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12oz from Techichi (thanks!). Best by 8/30/15, I assume bottled 5/30/15. Served in my Phish snifter.

Pours a cloudy, pale orange with about a finger white head. Decent retention with some surface haze and a healthy halo that deposits some fairly sizable clumps of lace.

Muted nose with notes of mild pine, citrus peel and some cracker.

Flavors are not much more vibrant than the aromas. Citrus peel, slightly vegital, a little pine and a bit of crackery malt. Too mild to produce any memorable taste.

Medium light feel with adequate carbonation. Pine and peel linger longer than I'd prefer.

This bottle of Lost Gold was well within its freshness date but utterly lackluster. Unfortunately no aspects stood out as anything more than average.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz brown bottle with pry-off cap poured into a snifter. Best by date of Oct 20, 2015.

Appearance: Pours a hazy gold with 1 finger of head

Smell: Lemon zest and slight pine hop aroma

Taste: Citrus flavors of lemon with herbal spice

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated with crisp finish

Overall: Its been at least two years since I last had Lost Gold, not sure if the recipe changed with the label change. There is a lot of citrus flavors evident from the hops. Great "juicy" IPA.

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Lightly hazed brassy gold body with a fluffy white head. Nose is all citrus hops and pale malt. Flavor is big on hops: bitter lemon peel and a touch of fennel. Long lasting bitterness. Malt offers some sweetness and crisp grain. Mouthfeel is moderate in weight and a bit creamy. Awesome.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Just had my 1st one..it's pretty decent and for the price it's well over above average. .i will finish this 6 pack in 2 days probably. .it's good but not as good as lagunitas ipa.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

The smell isn't bad but the taste is pretty thin, especially as it warms up. I definitely prefer a west coast IPA. Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty State! Boldest and grandest, Withstanding ev'ry test; O Empire wide and glorious, You stand supremely blest.

3.89/5  rDev +0.8%

Nice golden hue to the beer as an IPA should be. Has a nice hoppy IPA smell. Taste is definitely the way it should be. Brewed to perfection. Smooth hit on the palate. Nice and hoppy with a nice bitter bite at the end. Definitely a great Texas IPA. Impressed with real ale I a regular basis!

4.29/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Another Real Ale Brewing Co.,this IPA has a nice malty flavor for an IPA and at 62 IBU is up there a bit. As a "hop-head" this is not over the top but it has a very nice taste and is a beer you wouldn't mind having a few, especially on a warm, summer night in New England.

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%

A: hazy, really hazy like a heff. bronze burnt color, nice lacing that doesn't give up.
S: for an IPA this beer is not a bomb, it's a pleasant hop aroma, not in your face by any means . Hops are citrus and pine smelling.
T: firm malt backbone, lots of bread tones. Tasted like it had a lager malt, checked and it has been brewed with Vienna malts. Great toasted flavor.
M: lighter than most IPA'S. a few bubbles not a heavy beer or sweet. Clean finishing with a lingering bitterness.
O: overall I rated this beer high, a 4. Why? I think there are many awesome IPA'S out there that have full flavored sweet profiles ie lagunitas brown Shuga, little sumpin also dogfish head 120 minute. This is the first one that I have tried that has gone a different way with a different mouthfeel that has actually been good. Actually really good. I am sure there are others but I haven't tried them yet. Good beer different approach.

3.59/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I appreciate the strong presence of grapefruit in this beer and it's rich golden-orange color. Lacking a bit in the mouth feel and the hops-sweetness balance, the smell is also a bit weak. Overall though, refreshing, citrusy, crisp, a solid ipa but not overly impressive. About the level of quality I've come to expect from Real Ale Brewing.

4.29/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Updating my review due to the new hop profile on this one. Much smoother and full bodied than the original recipe. Will be a standard 'go to' IPA for my fridge.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-almost clear golden color that has a small white head that fades fast and leaves a lacing
S-grapefruit, pine, and some lemon
T-slight hop taste at first then you get the hop kick in the aftertaste that gives you a grapefruit dry finish
M- light body and medium carbonation
O-this was not an overpowering hop flavor beer, but solid

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

I was at the Marriott bar and that had it on tap.

A: golden (hence the name),

S: some say its hoppy but I only had a hint of hop smell

T: light IPA, not very impressed

M: light, drinkable beer

O: It didn't blow me away or stand out for that matter. Although I did drink it!

Ive had a few Texas beers on my trip and not a giant fan in general. Im sure ill find one the I truly like.

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%

From my tasting notes: I had the Lost Gold on draft and it poured a golden amber with decent white head. It is definitely a maltier IPA which gives it a good balance, but it could have used a bit more hops punch for my tastes. I don't mean to take away from the Lost Gold as it is a fine beer and a good local IPA option. Ultimately this is another great offering from Real Ale that is definitely worth your time and taste-buds.

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: golden (hence the name), single finger head that dissipates relatively quickly but leaves a nice lacing, lots of carbonation bubbles at first but almost none after it settles

S: strong hop smell of grapefruit, pine, lemon; smells great!

T: good light IPA, not overboard on the hops (could use more dry hops in my opinion), slight bitterness that finishes dry. This is a good, session able beer, but I expected more.

M: light, low carbonation, good summer beer

O: overall, not a bad beer but for the price there are much better IPAs out there

UPDATE: I got a 6er of this beer again and found it to be extremely better than the 1st time I had it. I'm not sure if it's bottle-conditioned or varies bottle to bottle, but wow this is a great great beer. Thank you Real Ale.

4.81/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy amber/honey color with thick foamy head. As far as head retention and lacing go, I really have seen many beers that can top this one. Nice piney, hoppy aroma with hints of citrus. Slightly hop forward taste with a nice malty backbone at the end. Excellent transition with this beer. The hoppy bitterness is excellent with a great bitter aftertaste at the end. This beer has never disappointed me. One of my favorites

3.34/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Lost Gold IPA
Real Ale
12oz bottle to English Pub pint
Best by 11.24.13

A – Thin head that quickly dissipated. Cloudy, can see a lot of sediments. Quite orange colored, slightly translucent. Not very appealing.

S – I get orange, pineapple, lemon and hay. A tiny bit of pine and something light like vanilla or coconut. The light smell is slightly earthy, making me lean toward coconut. I find myself wanting a little more pine in here. When I lightly swirl it, I pick up some momentary butter.

T – Some citrus and grass up front, butter with citrus in the middle, and some pine with a good low level of bitterness on the back end. After a few sips, I find myself liking this progression more than on the first sip. I do like the aftertaste quite a bit, the citrus and pine linger through without being too bitter.

M – Medium body, leaning toward the heavy side slightly. Even so, I feel like it keeps its distance from the tongue, making it feel artificially thin. Feels like a good carbonation level in the mouth despite just a wisp of head and a handful of bubbles. Finishes with a good dryness, slightly above average but not by much for an IPA. I’d like if some of the ‘weight’ in the mouth could be transferred to make the perceived mid sip feel a tad thicker (than thin).

D – Seems like an average IPA. Very fruity, but needing a bit more pine. Before I liked IPAs, I probably would’ve found this amazing; it’s definitely a gateway IPA, and for that it is laudable. However, I’m finding the balance to be off in STM. I think the malt level is pretty much good, but some more pine-bearing hops could be added.
3, 3.25, 3.5, 3.25, 3.25; 3.3

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Real Ale Lost Gold IPA has a medium, off-white head, and a hazy, yellow-orange appearance, with lots of bubble streams, tiny brown specks floating about, and a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is strongly of sweet, grapefruit and maybe some sweet, white bread. Taste is the same, with robust bitterness up front. Mouthfeel is medium and slick, and Real Ale Lost Gold IPA finishes dry, refreshing, and relatively easy drinking. Overall, this is excellent. Check it out, if you ever see it.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Warm and spicy brew that is on the friendlier side of the IPA spectrum. Pours a handsome golden amber with an orange tint. Lots of foam in the Saxo tall tulip. Spritzy and a little sharp on the tongue.

Nice flowery aroma with a touch of resins. Pleasantly malty without being too sweet, but it's definitely on the mellow side. The hops are just bitter enough to balance the sweetness. Lots of aromatics with pineapple and citrus flavors. Totally drinkable. Maybe this the wave of less extreme IPAs that give you lots of hops without the crush-your-head-with-a-rock bitterness. Cheers to Texas! From the 12 oz bottle bought at Texas Wine Cellars in Fredericksburg.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip

L: peach orange ... the color of the peach that isn't red; weak head; barely 1/4-inch of weak white foam; *does* lace a bit. i love the color and the half-opaque murkiness; the head isn't much, but there is a nice collar and surface layer of foam that seems to be hanging around.

S: hops and more hops; very bright and floral; lots of pine; i swear i smell house paint ... not an overpouring smell, but there's a sweet smell mixing with the hops that reminds me of paint. ironically, it's not a bad smell.

T: all hops at first, nothing else; over time some wheat (?) or toasted barley starts peeking in; it offers a nice extra note to balance the big hop bite. the English crystal malt might be taking control of it late, both in the taste and smell ... whatever it is, halfway in I'm picking up some new sweet notes that are nice.

F: a little weak ... light carbonation. it's not terrible, but it is a tad watery.

O: i like it. it doesn't shine or stand out as excellent, but the wheat/toasted barley notes give it a nice quirk that interests me. and while it starts out tasting like just another IPA, it finishes with some different notes that again seem interesting and pleasant.

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Slightly cloudy pale orange-gold. Off white foam, hold well to abut a quarter inch of foam that leaves a nice lace

S- citrusy punch, toasty grain

T- pretty much like it smells, but it smells more like grapefruit than it smells, the toasted grain comes through more in the flavor

M- bitterness sticks to the back of the tongue nicely

There is no real wow factor to this beer, but I appreciate it as it would make grate beer with food, or a great option for a beer that I could sit around and drink all day, very well balanced

Lost Gold IPA from Real Ale Brewing Company