Rio Blanco Pale Ale - Real Ale Brewing Company

Rio Blanco Pale AleRio Blanco Pale Ale

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-17-2001)
2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

Another selection from my real ale variety pack, and I commit another sin by drinking this one straight from the bottle once again.

S: Hoppy, citric, but not a very strong smell- I had to nearly stick my entire nose down before I could get a hint as to what I was smelling.

T: The hop and citric notes are definitely present in the taste as well and it was a little too bitter and off balanced for a Pale Ale.

M: This one was a little harder going down, simply not enough carbonation.

annawees, Jul 18, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

from the bottle. poured a cloudy golden with a big and I mean big white head had to wait for this one to go down and some floaties. aroma yeast sourness, lemon, grapefruit, and hints of sugar. flavor, weak, got some sour apple, lemon, grapefruits and hints of yeast and orange. this would be a good summer beer.

walleye, Jan 16, 2005
2.65/5  rDev -22.5%

This brew ranks way down the list of fine pale ales for me.

Smell is a bit off-putting, like someone tossed a few hops into a Mich Light, not promising. Maybe I don't like Saaz hops & just didn't know it? Taste is about the same, light, dry, easy to quaff, but taste is scraping the bare underbelly of OK.

Glad to have tried it. Strictly average.

maximum12, Dec 20, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured into a pint. Clear straw/copper. Small off-white head.

Nose is hops, grass and corn. Simple but not bad.

Taste is heavier on malts than expected. Slight metallic hops finish it off. Odd ethanol/terpentine on the finish too.

Average mouthfeel. Overall sub-par brew.

shivtim, Jan 05, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a bottle into a sam adams perfect pint.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with a finger of fluffy off white head. The head fades to a spotty layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Some bready malt with a mild sweetness. There is a very faint fruity hop smell as well.

Taste: A bit like the smell. There is more of a hop presence here, but still not enough. Bready malt and a very mild sweetness too. The finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with strong, fluffy carbonation and a finish that's a bit dry.

Overall: This is a pretty boring beer. Not bad, but quite boring.

oline73, Nov 20, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -20.2%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with simple label art and branded pressure cap acquired at me local HEB Grocery as part of a Real Ale Brewing variety 6 pack; Real Ale is the only brewery I know of that does a variety SIX pack - usually they're 12 packs. Served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average. Best by: 10/16/13.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Subpar creaminess. Decent thickness. Okay lacing forms when you tilt the glass, but none sticks to the sides of the glass; this beer doesn't have "legs" as it were. Retention is average - about 2-3 minutes.

Body colour is a clear copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Looks pretty standard for a pale ale overall. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: It's got a rather pleasant pale malt fragrance. Nicely grainy. Fresh. I do pick up some crisp saaz hop notes, which seem to suit the rest of the aroma quite well. Clean barley. A biteen fruity. It's a ripe aroma with a definite Czech flair. A pleasant aroma of mild to moderate strength.

T: I'm surprised this is unfiltered; it tastes quite filtered actually. Water quality seems to be abnormally good; uniquely soft spring water perhaps? I'm definitely getting the Saaz hops, and I imagine that's all they used. Just a crisp lightly herbal lightly floral and vaguely fruity hop character. Clean barley, cereals, grains, straw. A bit grassy. It ends up on a bit on the sweeter end. Perhaps a bit underhopped for the conventions of American Pale Ales, but really it's more of an English Pale in my mind. Its simplicity enables an easy balance, but it's unrewarding in terms of complexity and subtlety as a result.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. There are no obvious off flavours.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. Okay amplitude.

Mf: Crisp and clean. Smooth and wet. It's a got a good restrained presence on the palate. Refreshing and very approachable. A biteen overcarbonated. A bit buttery - lending it a English feel. Suits the flavour profile decently, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it.

Not oily, harsh, boozy, gushed, or hot.

Dr: A pedestrian pale ale. Sure, it's drinkable, but it brings little to the table. Boring and somewhat bland, but passable. I wouldn't get it again, nor would I recommend it to friends, but I can't see any true beer fanatic hating it. It's far from great, but it's by no means a bad beer. Pricing is okay for the quality.

C-

kojevergas, Sep 04, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -20.2%

looking at the bottle i'm realizing that i'm having this about 2 months late. i'm guessing it's not really changed THAT much, so here it goes...

this is a very pale ale. hops are present, but not very much at all. there's a toastiness from the malts that lend a hand, but not much. there's also a slight chemical taste that i don't really like too much. after a bit the hops taste sort of off. this bitter in the wrong way.

i wouldn't have this again.

radshoesbro, Dec 09, 2009

sholbert, Jun 24, 2014

Stevotex, May 03, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Somewhat hazy golden orange appearance with very little head.

S- Not really much of a scent detectable here. Smells very faintly of hops and spices.

T- Kind of a weird taste here. Not really very hoppy at all. Honestly this tastes more like a light lager than a pale ale.

M- Smooth beer, but not the mouthfeel you would expect from a pale ale.

D- Very smooth and very drinkable.

Overall sort of a weird pale ale. I wouldn't even really call this a pale ale. Very bland and not hoppy at all.

Bagman007, Jan 16, 2009

Mortarforker, Feb 19, 2013

Cjalbers, Aug 23, 2012

Buttstallion, Jul 30, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance: 12oz bottle with a best by month clearly marked. Pours a clear copper color with minimal white head, and no lacing.

Smell: Malts, and hops that combine to create an oily, almost peanut oil smell. This could be the smell of Czech Saaz hops, but I am not sure.

Taste: Lemon/ citrus, and malts. I cannot taste much more than that. I am missing the hops. The bottle advertises the Czech Saaz hops and I would like to taste them more, but I do not detect them, until the aftertaste, where they are minimal.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, with a slight carbonation. The beer leaves the mouth slightly dry. I really enjoy the mouth feel of this beer.

Drinkability: A drinkable beer, but this is not what I want from a pale ale. I cannot detect the hops as much as I would like, and I want to. this would be a good summer beer, but it will not become a standard in my fridge.

grs8313, Oct 08, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, white label with a drawing of what I assume is the Rio Blanco. Best before month notched on the label, drinking this just in time.

Appearance: Pours orangish red, slightest hint of haze. Small head fades, leaves just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Noble hops, bready malt, just a bit of DMS.

Taste: Bready malt flavors dominate, but the DMS flavor is unforunate.

Overall impression: Average beer, one that I wouldn't seek out again.

rowew, Apr 02, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

Had a pint on cask at Ginger Man in Dallas.
Murky goldenrod color with a frothy 1/4" off-white head that settles to a thin film. Clings in sheets to the sides of the glass.
Well this is weird...a woody, nutty smell with some fresh baked pretzel and...Play Doh and fabric softener sheets? Maybe this has been in the cask too long? Admittedly I haven't had many cask beers.
More woodiness, like damp firewood or something, a taste like the papery skin from inside a walnut shell (oddly specific I know!), and more Play Doh. Some breadiness. A faint glimmer of citrusy hops in the middle.
Light bodied but soft, slightly creamy.
I'll finish this one ok but I don't need any more.
Yeah this was weird. The waitress (who seemed knowledgeable) said it smelled and tasted normal to her so I'm not inclined to think it was off. Wouldn't get it again, not on cask at least.

busternuggz, Jan 05, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -18.1%

randeezy74, Nov 27, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -17.3%

From a bottle with a best by July '08 and poured into a tulip Glass

A - A nice golden amber color that is rather clean looking and has a bit of a reflective sheen to it as well. Can see a good bit of carbonation floating up through this one. The head is about 1/2 of a finger of white foam one that sits on the top of that amber body.

S - Smell was surprisingly banana like. At first, It reminded me more of a hefe than of a pale ale. There was a hint of caramel malt in there as well and there is also a huge hint of lemon that cuts through all of it. It is not a pleasant citrus though but instead reminds me a bit of a household cleaner.

T - Hmm, the taste up front is just like a hefe. I get hints of bubblegum, clove and banana. The only thing that actually reminds me of a pale ale is a light hint of hops on that back end that give a slight hint of pine to the beer. That lemon that I got in the nose was still there but it really made the whole beer seem unbalanced in my opinion. There is also a bit of a floral hint to the beer as well but it only shows itself here and there and other times it manifests as bubblegum and clove.

MF - There is a light hint of carbonation to it. The mouthfeel is actually rather smooth and creamy. There is a nice medium body to it as well that seems to fit the style and this beer.

D - Overall an okay beer that was worth the try but I would definitely pass on this as my choice for an APA. I don't really care for the floral taste in this one and would rather go for a different kind of an APA. The lemon mixes in a bit too much with the hefe like flavors for my taste and makes the whole thing seem a bit out of balanced for me.

jeonseh, May 21, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -17.3%

Aroma: Clean balanced aroma, some hops noted, some toasted malt, but overall, pretty light.
Appearance: Great white fluffy head that laced a bit. Golden color with tons of tiny particles suspended in the brew.
Flavor: Nice pale ale taste, a good does of hops (Saaz I believe) but also a bit of oxygenized, maybe rubbery flavor too. Something is a bit off.
Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, clean finish.
Overall Impression: Very happy to see this brewery putting out good beers in Texas, but this one is just a touch off. Good pale ale with a flaw, I’m afraid from the brewing process, but it may just be a recipe issue.

HardTarget, Mar 11, 2004
2.84/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Very clear copper. No head at all even with aggressive pour.

S: Faint smell, hard for me to pick out anything with confidence. Maybe slight floral? After a short while I could not smell anything at all and I tried resetting my senses.

T: Takes a second for any flavor to come on, then a quick rush of mild saaz bitters with a slight linger. Hard to pick out much else, maybe a bit of bread from the malt.

M: Comes and goes fairly quick, doesnt stay long at all. More carbonation than the flat appearance suggests.

O: Very mediocre pale ale, but no offensive flavors redeems it somewhat. If that's what you're after you may be satisfied but I'm looking for a more memorable experience.

fizzgig, Jul 12, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Pours a clear amber capped by an inch of foam; leaves some lacing behind

Smell: Grainy and grassy

Taste: Opens with a rather sweet, toffe/butterscotch flavor with a lemony/grassy flavor developing in the middle; the sweetness builds again, after the swallow with a bit of diacetyl in the finish that joins the grassy flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation; just a little bit slick on the tongue

Overall: Certainly different, with Saaz hops being used in an APA, so I will give it some kudos for creativity but I cannot say that I particularly like the way this whole beer comes together

brentk56, Mar 05, 2013

On tap! Yeah!

Quick review before we leave. It's fizzy. It's yellow. It's a pilsner named after my Czech heritage. Hops are subtle but have enough bitterness to linger on.

Overall it's just a very basic pilsner but like that it uses authentic Czech Saaz. Won't order again.

TwinButte, Feb 25, 2012

Best by date: 8-26-11

A - Pours out a copper orange color. The head is off-white and has decent retention. Lacing is minimal.

S - Fairly light aroma. Some citrus up front. Orange peel mainly. There's also a pleasant bready biscuit background that gives it an earth like quality. Finish is bittersweet with some more citrus and sweet caramel malts.

T - A little too much on the sweet side. Could use more hop profile to balance it out. Mainly caramel malts in the taste with a slightly bitter/sour ending.

M - Mouth feel is ok for the most part. Bordering light bodied but with good carbonation. Not really too bad.

O - Not something I would by a six pack of seeing is there are better APA's out there. Although I don't mind receiving them in the Real Ale mixed six pack. Which is always fresh and very well priced.

depechemode1983, Aug 10, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -15.8%

Thanks to mhewes for this one
Bottle poured into a standard pint glass produced a thin white head that went to lace, on a slightly hazy light copper body.

Aromas of bread and a light hoppiness as well filled my nose

Flavors of the brew are nice mild malts and hops; mouthfeel is light and crisp as well

Easy to drink it was a chore not to kick it back and guzzle. I had better pales even from Texas at that .Not to much of a pale ale in my mind a very average brew

joepais, Sep 26, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -15.2%

Best by date of 11.04.09. Pours a mostly clear, medium golden color with a firm, ample white head. Retention is really nice when it drops to about 3/4" and Lacing is about average.

The nose is pretty balanced, as yeasty fruit aromas mingle with citricly floral hops and biscuity malts. Not an overly great smelling APA, as the hops are somewhat subdued and it smells like some higher-than-normal fermentation temps were in effect.

There is a bit of fruitiness in there that I am not diggin' on and it is only accentuated by the rough hops that are there. Not that there is that much hoppiness going on, but what is there lacks any sort of smooth quality, and I am completely baffled by the lack of deliciousness I usually find in a beer brewed with saaz (varietal used according to the website)! This beer reminds me of an average homebrew...not one of RA's finest.

twiggamortis420, Sep 16, 2009