Rio Blanco Pale Ale - Real Ale Brewing Company

Rio Blanco Pale AleRio Blanco Pale Ale

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-17-2001)
DoctorB2B

bentwookie

11-14-2011 21:26:16 | More by bentwookie
nukem5

3.85/5  rDev +12.6%

A.: Pours a nice amber orange color ewith off white cap of foam, with some lacing down walls of glass.

S: Aroma is of piney and floral notes that arenicely balanced with the malt bill.

T: Taste is very hoppy with some malts to tie it all together very well rounded.

M: Medium body smooth nice tingly bubbles dance on tongue.

O: Overall a very drinkable beer

10-30-2011 03:40:18 | More by nukem5
Ungertaker

3.03/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into a pint glass

A- golden with almost no head. Carbonation springs are random in the glass.

S- malts and piney hops. There is a very slight presence of orange.

T- bready malts, faint hops, a mild bitterness at the finish

M- medium bodied with a reasonable carbonation level.

O- this is an ok beer. I would offer this to friends who were not big into craft beer, since there isnt much going on.

10-20-2011 20:48:06 | More by Ungertaker
D11

2.58/5  rDev -24.6%

from bottle into pilsner

A- hazy golden yellow with a white head that does not last long.

S- malty and some hops.

T- about the same as the smell. some hops, not too impressive imo.

M- decent mouthfeel with decent carbonation.

O- mostly was just malty with not enough hops or other spices/flavor imo. i really enjoyed this the first time i drank it, but after trying other hop ales i feel dissapointed.

10-17-2011 04:02:20 | More by D11
tjkinate

Nebraska

3.35/5  rDev -2%

Local beer night.

Poured this crystal clear, pale orange beer into a standard pint glass that produced a 1+ finger, white, frothy head that showed good retention. Smell is sweet and loaded with lemon, very grainy on the tail end. Only could detect a small amount of hops. Taste follows the smell, sweet, grainy, some bitter hops. Nothing exciting here. Mouth was light and surprisingly well carbonated. Overall I feel this beer would be a good one to share with a person new to the craft world, but other than that I would choose many others before this one.

10-09-2011 22:38:30 | More by tjkinate
setexascustoms

2.03/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, best before November.

A- Golden and pretty clear. One finger soda pop head that fades quick and leaves no lacing.

S- Very slight citris and grains, not much going on.

T- Again, very slight hop presence, not enough for an American pale ale. Dominated by grainy malts, with the slightest vague bitterness in the finish.

M- Light bodied with soda pop like carbonation.

O- This is my second beer from their variety pack, and I must say, I'm pretty let down. There is nothing exciting about this beer, it may be better than macro, but that's about it. Can't recommend it.

10-03-2011 03:27:22 | More by setexascustoms
kemoarps

Washington

3.3/5  rDev -3.5%

One thing I will absolutely say for Real Ale brewing is they make a pretty beer. Every beer (sorry - this is Texas, legally I have to call it an 'ale') I've had from them has poured a very pretty looking glass. This has been no exception. Slightly less head than other's of theirs, and not nearly the retention or lacing either. Still a good looking brew, though.

Mild nose, but has faint aspects of pine, orange, and rose petals. Other than that, pretty thin on the nose.

The predominant flavour here is the hops, with almost a dry feel to it. There is some bready malt around the middle to add balance, but not terribly complex.

Not as smoothe and drinkable as their other beers, has almost a biting characteristic to it, and that's not necessarily brought about by the hops as it's not overhopped imo.

All things considered, I would consider it drinkable, check it out if you want, but it's not going to win any awards from me. Not bad, just not terribly outstanding. Take it or leave it.

09-27-2011 20:23:33 | More by kemoarps
TenHornsProud

Colorado

2.48/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a cloudy orange with a small white head that fades quickly.

Smells of sweet malt and some hop spice...noble hops for sure, but the aroma is minimal. Almost ketchup notes. Not a lot going on here.

Up front slight bitterness that goes into some malt, sweet character, bitter citrus character in the middle, and an almost astringent, clean finish.

Medium carbonation and thin body work fine for the style

There isn't a lot going on here. Some noble hop spice, slight malt sweetness, and a lot of astringency. Pile on the oxidized, cardboard note that I've found in almost all Real Ale beers...I cannot recommend this beer.

09-24-2011 02:08:27 | More by TenHornsProud
ccrida

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Dark, burnt gold with an off-white head that leaves some creamy lace rings.

Smell is sweet malt with nice earthy saaz hops. They have a little stale citrus vibe to them I could do without, but the best by date is over 6 weeks ago so I won't fault them (I although I did grab it from a cooler at least, at Spec's)

Taste is similar, I like the punch of saaz on the fairly basic pale base.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side, medium light bodied, a little slick from the hop oils.

Drinkability is pretty good. It's an interesting take on a pale ale for sure.

09-14-2011 03:18:46 | More by ccrida
AndyAvalanche

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. A hearty golden/yellow color with a slight haze to it. Small white cap goes away after several minutes, slight lacing to it.

Smell of toasted caramelized malts, toffee, grains, slight orange peel with a slight hop presence. Pretty straight forward here, pretty well balanced.

Taste is good. Strong grain presence. Not quite as sweet as I expected based on the smell. Citrus zest and yeastiness to it. Decent malt presence and some slight earthy hops. Well balanced and I'd say good overall.

Mouthfeel is good. Light bodied, well balanced, feels like it starts a bit grainy but finishes fairly clean. Good beer overall, glad I got to try it. Thanks depechemode1983 for the trade.

09-06-2011 23:21:59 | More by AndyAvalanche
roodie

3.55/5  rDev +3.8%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into my Lagunitas pint jar

A: amber orange brown with scant head. Light lacing

S: bready malts and mellow hops a nice combo

T: follows the nose, very mild

M: smooth with no bitterness exactly how I think the style dictates

O: good not great but a solid go to beer

09-04-2011 17:38:00 | More by roodie
elNopalero

4.33/5  rDev +26.6%

Another fine Real Ale brew. Not my favorite from the regular line-up (see: Full Moon, Lost Gold), nor my favorite pale ale, but a dependable second choice. Is that faint praise? Let me qualify that statement by adding that I like my pale ales with a strong hop forward presence--which this lacks.

It pours with a nice head that quickly dissipates into a thin line of foam. Clear, clean, tan-auburn color. Sweet notes in the aroma. Little hop presence in smell or taste. A nice malt profile, however, that finishes well. It makes for a smooth drinking beer, one which stands its ground in the Texas heat. But if I had a choice--and I usually do--I'll grab the rye first.

*Update: Tastes change all the time. I know mind do. Lately I've been digging this brew more than I have any reason to.

08-21-2011 03:23:55 | More by elNopalero
treque

Mexico

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

A: deep gold in color, traslucent, semi hazy, carb is constant generates a creamy, persistent 1 finger white head

S: honey, sweet malts, some hops, earthy, grassy, a little bit of everything

T: balanced, first some sweet, then bitterness, earthy taste, nice end not too much intense but long lasting, medium body

08-12-2011 01:22:43 | More by treque
depechemode1983

2.88/5  rDev -15.8%

Best by date: 8-26-11

A - Pours out a copper orange color. The head is off-white and has decent retention. Lacing is minimal.

S - Fairly light aroma. Some citrus up front. Orange peel mainly. There's also a pleasant bready biscuit background that gives it an earth like quality. Finish is bittersweet with some more citrus and sweet caramel malts.

T - A little too much on the sweet side. Could use more hop profile to balance it out. Mainly caramel malts in the taste with a slightly bitter/sour ending.

M - Mouth feel is ok for the most part. Bordering light bodied but with good carbonation. Not really too bad.

O - Not something I would by a six pack of seeing is there are better APA's out there. Although I don't mind receiving them in the Real Ale mixed six pack. Which is always fresh and very well priced.

08-10-2011 01:03:11 | More by depechemode1983
AdamBear

3.1/5  rDev -9.4%

A-amber with a good creamy off-white head

S-smells like grains some honey but mostly crisp hops. complex but faint scent.

T-well this is a very mild beer. its not bad but its really boring. comes in with a slightly grainy taste of fruity hops. leaves with a creamy taste of bitter hops that is appreciated.

M-dry medium carbonation with a fairly dry finish

O-as i already said, this is a boring beer. it does go down easily though! i had 23 ounces of it, and it all went down quickly enough to be a good beer to go along with a dinner. other than that, there's nothing really positive about it.

08-04-2011 23:24:23 | More by AdamBear
annawees

2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

Another selection from my real ale variety pack, and I commit another sin by drinking this one straight from the bottle once again.

S: Hoppy, citric, but not a very strong smell- I had to nearly stick my entire nose down before I could get a hint as to what I was smelling.

T: The hop and citric notes are definitely present in the taste as well and it was a little too bitter and off balanced for a Pale Ale.

M: This one was a little harder going down, simply not enough carbonation.

07-18-2011 11:53:29 | More by annawees
AlexFields

Tennessee

2.9/5  rDev -15.2%

Thanks to OakedCanuck for sending me this as an extra. This will be my first beer from Real Ale. (But not my last--I got two others as extras too!)

Cloudy amber and orange clolor, can't see through the glass at all. Pours with a nice thick head which dies down pretty quickly.

Nice aroma. Somewhat floral, a fairly rich hop aroma for a pale ale. A hint of orange. Not an extremely aromatic beer but pretty nice for a pale ale.

Taste is not aggressively hoppy in the way you'd expect an IPA to be, but it's definitely bitter. A hint of orange once again, and faintly floral. Bitterness is the dominant flavor, and the bitterness is separate from the other hop flavors in a weird way rather than being well integrated with them, the bitterness covers up the more pleasant hop flavors. Some grainy/bready malt flavor too but nothing very sweet. It's hard to explain but I find the pure bitterness a bit off putting even though it's a pretty mild flavor. It's almost sour or tangy rather than hoppy...a bit like unsweetened biscuit dough.

The mouthfeel is very nice, excellent carbonation despite the quickly disappearing head.

Overall, a decent pale but not a very well balanced flavor profile and not the beer I'd go for if I were looking for a sessionable pale.

5.4/10

07-08-2011 19:13:17 | More by AlexFields
Soonami

3.08/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks davacano for sending this in the Refreshing Summer BIF.

Poured into a 16 oz Brooklyn tulip. A hazy golden orange with a thin layer of head. The aroma is dominated by the Saaz, which is almost a little skunky, but definitely earthy. It's not an aroma I'm accustomed to in an APA. There is a bit of buttery, toasty biscuit in the nose too. The beer tastes kinda weird. It has a good bit of sweet, grainy malt, with a little citrusy hop and some herbal Saaz. To me it really reminded me of sushi rice. It certainly didn't taste bad, just interesting.

Not a bad beer, not a great beer, but no clear brewing faults--just not the recipe that does it for me.

06-22-2011 22:43:41 | More by Soonami
schmidtn

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

The bottle says “ a classic style accented with Czech Saaz Hops” This really does sum it up.

Bitter like a pale, smooth like a pils.
The color is a hazy golden and decent lacing.

Smells like a malty pilsner.

Years before I was exposed Pales and IPAs, I botched a bohemian pilsner homebrew recipe and ended up with something similar. I liked what I made, but never figured out where I went wrong during the process. No need to brew it, I can get it at the H.E.B.

Medium mouthfeel and decent carbonation.

Definitely worth a try.