Phoenixx Double ESB - Real Ale Brewing Company

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  7.20% ABV

"Double ESB", Rotating/Seasonal

(Beer added by: TPoling on 12-31-2005)
1.98/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

"Double ESB." "Extra special bitter ale." Okay; expectations are very low. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with uninteresting label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local bottle shop and served into a conical Pinthouse Pizza pint glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. "Best if consumed by this date 07.01.14."

Served slightly chilled. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Fairly thin. Lacks creaminess and frothiness. Complexion and consistency are lackluster. Head retention is about average - ~2 minutes.

Body colour is a transparent translucent copper-brown of below average vibrance. No yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it doesn't look like much. Far from unique or special. Appears adequately carbonated.

Sm: Caramel. Toffee. English biscuit malt. Diacetyl/slight buttery character. Light breadiness. It's on the sweeter side.

I don't notice an overt hop profile. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

It's an inoffensive aroma of below average strength. I can't say I'm looking forward to this one much.

T/Mf: Buttery. Caramel. Toffee. English biscuit malt. That's about it. Painfully simple, with an obnoxiously shallow depth of flavour. It's not all that well balanced, nor is it cohesive. Not a gestalt build. Lacks any complexity, subtlety, intricacy, or nuance whatsoever. I'm not liking this much at all.

Below average duration and intensity of flavour. It's pretty boring.

Mf: Buttery, coarse, and weirdly dry. The buttery character really drags this beer down. Well-carbonated. Medium bodied. Good thickness. Poor presence on the palate. Should be softer, creamier, and pleasing, Poor execution. The texture does not suit the taste well.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or rough.

Dr: I'll finish this bottle with effort on account of the low quality. I wouldn't recommend this to friends. It's yet another unenjoyable American attempt at an ESB . Hard to drink. I don't know what "double ESB" is supposed to indicate, but this is pretty terrible.

D-

kojevergas, Feb 15, 2014

Pesci, Mar 30, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

protton, Jun 14, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

BeerThursdays, Dec 29, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -28%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Thanks to jl28r1 for this bottle!

The extra X means this stuff means business. It pours a hazy sunset amber topped by a finger of cream-white foam. The nose comprises toffee and grass. That is all. The taste holds notes of caramel, burnt grass, musty wheat, and a kinda meek snap of orange-peel bitterness. Ask m'lady sitting next to me while drinking this: my face went negative pretty quickly after this stuff was put on my tongue. Now, I don't wanna exaggerate: It wasn't god-awful, just unpleasant. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a somehow nearly chewy feel. Overall, I did not have a good experience with this beer. The flavors seemed rather sideways, and everything was just too...I guess big would be the word here.

TMoney2591, Jul 22, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

baybum, Oct 12, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -24.5%

A lot of sediment is suspended with the rich honey reddish amber colored ESB. A medium white head settles into a pretty small lacing on the edge of the glass with a nice little bisquity dome in the middle of the glass.

A very light sweet malt aroma dies out as the beer sits between drinks.

A lightly bitter hops taste is blended well with a light sweet caramel malt.

A light almost bitter dry aftertaste on this medium bodied double.

I wasn't really impressed with this as a double ESB, but what the hell do I Know.

LXIXME, May 22, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -24.5%

Phoenixx Double ESB from the Real Ale Brewing Co. in Blanco, Texas. The 12 oz bottle I sampled had a date stamp of 7-29-13. No ABV on bottle but BA reflects it at 7.2%.

I spent a good deal of time in In the UK in the late 1970's and acquired an appreciation of this type of beer. It is actually a pale ale and the locals refer to it as "give me a pint of bitter" when ordering at the pub. The typical bitter has an ABV of 4 to 5%. The ESB designation or Extra Special/Strong Bitter simply reflects a higher ABV usually more than 5%.

Poured into a pint bar glass it was an orange tinged dark, amber with two to three fingers of thick head that dissipated quickly but left lots of lacing.

Had aromas of hop spiciness with very slight caramel sweetness.

The flavors are mixed with bread, malt, and caramel and are rich with promise but the finish is not well rounded in terms of flavors but along with a typical bitter finish it had an unwelcome, funky aftertaste.

The beer has medium body with light carbonation.

Overall I gave this beer every chance to measure up to my expectations of the many pints of "bitter" I have consumed in the UK but it fell short. I let it warm up to get the full flavor and I even got a second six pack to check just in case the first was skunked. Same results.

Overall this beer is drinkable but does not measure up.

abeerwiseguy, Sep 14, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to texasclimber for the bottle.

Pours light brown with a 2 finger off-white head retaining about 1/2 finger with good lacing.

Smells of toffee and rich bready malts with a little bit of hop spice character.

Flavor is similar although the hop spice character turns into a dirty flavor. The grainy chewy bready malt is presence, but there's a bitter earthy presence that is completely off putting.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side with medium carbonation.

This one had some off flavors. Really didn't enjoy it much. A below average beer in just an average style.

jmarsh123, May 08, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

A - Nice rich dark appearance. Ok, head on the beer.

S - Smelled a bit musty to me. Maybe I got a bad bottle. I didnt pick up any kind of hop or malty aromas. I just got that musty aroma. I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt since I am going to assume a bad bottle.

T - Not bad, but I just couldnt get around the musty aroma that imparted itself a bit in the flavor. I definitely picked up the nice hoppy flavors. I am giving it a 3.5 out of benefit of the doubt.

M - Ehhh....thats all I really feel like saying. Left a bit of a funny aftertaste in my mouth.

I am going to have to try another one. I think this was somehow a bad batch. I like Real Ale products, but this was just sub par for them.

phillipzayas, Feb 23, 2010

attometer00, Feb 14, 2012

whartontallboy, Jan 14, 2012

jenray, Nov 30, 2011

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper brown orange with a 1 finger off white head

smell: very little aroma, slight corn, malts

taste: not a whole lot going on here. malts, little hops

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: not exactly what I would call Extra Special. But hey I like trying out new breweries.

Cheers,
The CPJ

THECPJ, May 31, 2011

The lastest offering from Real Ale and a new selection on-tap at the Gingerman in Houston. Not sure what a "Double" ESB is. It was an amber colour in the glass and rather cloudy. Thick, sandy coloured head that lasted a long a long time and left a lot of lacing in the glass. Aroma was light, but grassy and floral. The flavour was very earthy, it reminded me of wet cork. The finish was dry and bitter, but those earthy tones carried over into a lingering aftertaste.

Xadoor, Jan 06, 2006

IAmHollywood13, Jun 09, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -19.2%

Bought a sixer of this at Central Market. Gotta support Texas breweries. Served in a Great Divide balloon glass.

The beer is a clear, deep brown with orange notes. The off white head isn't impressive, though I remember it being a bit better in a previous pour.

The nose is mostly caramelly sweet. Some lint pine hops and a medicinal tinge that goes along with the fruitiness. I could go without the medicinal element.

The taste is sweet, borderline cloying. There's a slight hop presence and a fruitiness that goes along with it. Unfortunately, that fruitiness is at times medicinal. I'm not a band aid fan. This could have used a bit more care and a bit more subtlety in almost every way.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Real Ale and this offering didn't help that impression.

UTCengOwl, Feb 20, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

I got this beer when a Real Ale Rep stopped by and dropped off some of their beer. I poured it into a pint glass, of course.

A:Honestly, this beer has a lot of crap in it. It is not a tame beer. The color is a thick bronze.

S: I really didn't catch much aroma from this beer. I kinda figured that could happen with an ESB.

T: The taste is alright. It is not awesome, and it is not bad. I find it to be a decent beer.

M: For how thick this brew appears to be, I find this beer to be pretty light. I like how there is no crazy aftertaste/ feel left in my mouth.

O: I have always supported this beer, cause I am partial to ESBs and to beers made in Texas. I have found that if I was going to buy any real ale beer for myself, it would be this one... Fireman's four is over rated.

Crispy34, Feb 26, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -17.9%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a clear brown with a small white head with moderate retention and minimal lacing.

S: On the closed side, some toasted malt and some faint earthy hops.

T: On the boring side, with some toasted malt, light caramel, a touch of wheat, and a hint of coffee.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Not a whole lot going on with this one. Nothing bad about it, but for a 7.2% abv ESB, I was hoping for a bit more.

mdaschaf, Jun 11, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle shared by twig86 - thanks, Derek!

Very hazy, deep copper color on the pour. A quarter-inch white head dissipates pretty quickly and leaves little to no lacing. Caramel and toffee aromas fill the nose and not much else. The alcohol is barely noticeable in the smell as well. The flavor has a little more depth with the strong caramel malt sweetness gaining balance from a dry graininess and toasty malt. The alcohol is pretty well-hidden. Not a whole lot going on here. Medium-bodied with a creamy texture. Finish is moderately sweet with only a hint of alcohol warming. Lack of complexity or anything really interesting keeps this from a high drinkability score. That said, it is easy on the palate, the alcohol is well-hidden, and there's nothing offensive about it. Overall, just a forgettable beer.

WeisGuy, Nov 02, 2010