Real Heavy - Real Ale Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  9.70% ABV

(Beer added by: chadspivey on 03-23-2008)
Reviews by elNopalero:
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Had this on draft. Pours a rich, luscious caramel color. Malty aromas and a big malt profile. It’s chewy, with a nice finish that leaves me wanting more. Heavy? Not necessarily, but definitely a big boy of a beer. (Update: it's stronger than I realized--but it hides it's alcohol well. I had no idea it was nearing 10%) A limited release that I wish I saw more of.

12/2011 update: After a year’s aging a vanilla sweetness comes out that wasn’t present before. A nice surprise.

Sampled on tap at the Freetail-Real Ale barrel-aged festival in San Antonio. This was the 2009 version. I don't believe the regular Real Heavy was brewed in 2010. Only the barrel-aged version, The Highlander, was brewed this year.

The beer pours an amber color with a white head. The aroma is sweet caramel malt with some alcohol. The flavor is caramel, dark cherries, brown sugar and a little of alcohol. I remember this beer being more boozy so I think the year of aging helped mellow the beer out, which is good in my opinion. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

On-tap at the Flying Saucer in San Antonio, TX.

Pours a hazy chestnut brown color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of deep caramel malts with good amounts of spiciness and hints of brown sugar and butterscotch. As the beer warms the caramel malt influence increases a bit and the aroma sweetens.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Sweet caramel malts with hints of toastiness kick things off. Quickly joining in are mild amounts of spiciness along with hints of nuts and butterscotch. The nuttiness and butterscotch carry through to a mildly bitter ending that manages to leave a bit of sweetness lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I continue to find that this is not my favorite style by a decent stretch but I could certainly appreciate one this well done. Worth a shot, especially if a fan of the style.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

this is certainly a nice new addition to the Real Ale family of beers. the color is a nice dark brown and the aroma is somewhat twizzler like.it is well balanced between malt and hops,and this one will sneak up on you with it's 9.6% alcohol content. overall a nice example of a wee heavy style.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

hickory brown with a very cloudy and hazy consistency to it. Not bad overall, I could see some carbonation, barely making it out through the haze. Very nice looking indeed.

deep malty backbone was starting to push through. Lots of sweet notes taking over on this one, with hints of caramel, vanilla and nice earthy grains starting to come to the front. Definitely, some wood somewhere in its history as the aroma of oak was huge on this one. Lots of caramel and vanilla starting to take shape here, really lightning it up and make it that much sweeter

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

Rustic praline color; head is rather thin.

Sweet, sweet malt and alcohol with faint tone of hops.

Like drinking dessert - a little creme brulee and bountiful alcohol work well together

Coats the mouth like caramel sauce

Awesome stuff but very heavy - good for sipping

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Since their's no "wee heavy category", I listed it as an american strong ale.

edit: I sumbitted a request to change the style to scotch ale/wee heavy. Didn't see the style until someone pointed it out to me.

Pours a dark rusty brown color with a tan one finger head.

Smells of dark fruit and alcohol and even a slight yeast character.

Wow the alcohol is quite present. It's still a damn fine beer,though. I taste dates and figs and hints of plums. Caramel malts. Did I mention the alcohol in the taste? Still very nice.

Medium to full body. Fits the style.

I'd be surprised it this beer was under 9%. One pint would do me good.

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Pours a cloudy brown/amber color. A small beige head forms, and light lace is left behind.
S: Malty with lots of dark fruits (plumbs, raisins, ect). Smoky, earthy, and warm.
T: Follows the nose. Sweet caramel malt and dark fruits. A wonderful peatiness follows. I just love the way wee heavies taste.
M/D: Full-body thick, chewy and rich. Exceptionally smooth and easy to drink. The abv is high, but I drank this without even noticing the alcohol (except in the nose). I know I should not, but I can quaff a few of these no problem.

Another great beer from Real Ale. One of my favorite breweries making one of my favorite styles, this is heaven.

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a nice rich amber color with little head that didn't stick around for too long. The smell is really nice with a comforting sweet carmelized sugar thing going on. The taste is a little o. The sweet side and to be ideal it would have a bit more bitterness to balnce it. The mouthfeel was nice and thick which adds to the cold weather appeal for me. I would love to have one of these with footof snow on the ground and no place to be.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Served on tap in a tulip glass.
Slight head- Dark Amber color.
Aroma is mild hoppiness and some vanilla.

Taste is caramel, brown sugar, sweet, malty, butterscotch toffee, very slight smokiness.

Mouthfeel: very silky, rich.

Drinkability: easy drinking for a high abv, rich beer. The hops were very smooth and just balanced so to minimize the bitterness. I can definitely feel the warming effect of the alcohol but I would not classify this beer as "hot".

I wish they would bottle it so I could enjoy at home.

2.2/5  rDev -44.7%

Got this at the Dallas Gingerman.

A: Pours a decent looking dark red color, almost no head, and no lacing on the glass. Nothing too special here.

S: Smell is a little molasses, toffee, roastiness, and some other unidentifiable sweet smell. I'm not impressed, but don't hate it either.

T: I really disliked this one. Way too bitter and the sweetness was there to "balance" it but it wasn't balanced at all. It was really just gross. The roast was like burnt toast and I didn't enjoy this one at all. I paid for it, but I drank only about 20% before the waitress took it away at my request.

M: Carbonation was a little light, could use more creaminess, but overall solid.

D: I couldn't finish it so I have to give this the lowest score possible. Too heavy like a syrup, too much roast, too much sweetness, no balance here whatsoever.

Not recommended to anyone. The waitress seemed surprised but I just hated it.

Real Heavy from Real Ale Brewing Company