Empire (Barrel-Aged Lost Gold IPA) - Real Ale Brewing Company

Empire (Barrel-Aged Lost Gold IPA)
No picture.

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 07-20-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 48 | Reviews: 8
Reviews by bisonkron:
3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Deep copper in color. Off white head. Evenly Cloudy.

S- sweet fruit smells. Hops stick out. Orange and grassy aromas stick out as well.

T - Citrus-y with a nice hop bite. The oak is very present as well.

M - Very acidic, low carbonation, it was nice but not easy to drink.

O- lost gold has been one of my favorites this summer, and this one was even better. Won't be able to find it around much, but I really enjoyed it none the less.

Sampled at the Freetail-Real Ale barrel-aged festival in San Antonio.

The beer pours a gold color with a white head. The aroma is orange and other citrus fruit with some oak mixed in. The flavor is more the same. It tastes like heavily oaked oranges and grapefruits with a nice, bitter finish. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at Blac Sheep. Pours up a hazy burnt orange. Quickly fading whitehead. Nose of apricot, oak, citrus. Taste same as the nose. Subtle but tasty hops. Pretty damn sweet. Nice lil oaky flavor. I dig it. Very smoothe, very muddled carbo. Medium bodied. I could totally drink this how all day, gangsta pork chops!!!

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

On tap at Rudyard's.

A: Pours a semi hazy golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms that sticks around for a while. Light lace is left behind.
S: Very vinous and almost tart fruits up front. Musky grapes with a lingering hop bite. Floral, citrus, and grassy aromas all work really well with the wine barrels and fruits. I love the aroma.
T: To bad non of the aroma carried over. Up front is a very light vinous/grape character. Citrus, grass, light bitterness. Sweetness lingers, and pretty much dominates after a while.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Though a bit on the watery side. Easy enough to drink. I had no problems finishing.

I was looking forward to this. The nose is really amazing, but not much else stands out. This is worth a try, and I did enjoy it. Though there are better barrel aged beers by Real Ale and other breweries available.

On-tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston TX

A - Poured a light copper color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of tart citrus and hops

T - Follows the nose with tart citrus and bitter hops

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

O - Lost Gold on-tap is one of my favorite beers and then to Barrel Age it has made it even better if you like IPAs and funky barrel aging this is a no brainier

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Revisited 4/2012

This offering from Real Ale’s barrel age program pours a golden color with a light roast hue.

It has a distinctive yet smooth oaky aroma. I’m going to harbor a guess here and venture that this was aged in wine, not bourbon, barrels because I don’t pick up any of those notes. Perhaps a white wine?

The flavor is pleasing, although it’s hard to identify what survived from the initial base beer (their tasty Lost Gold IPA) as the hops dropped off and the beer itself took on a mellow quality with some sweetness rounding it out.

From my notes (8/2011):
Sweet aroma, nice warm, auburn coloration, pours clear with a little lace and low carbonation. There’s a wonderful, woody (oaky?) aroma. Oak/wood dominates the palate at first, and lingers. I enjoyed the sweet, almost caramel, finish that becomes more apparent as the beer warms. Definitely an interesting beer. As I try more and more of this style I’m finding that I enjoy it more and more. While not my “favorite” barrel-aged IPA it’s one I’d seek out again.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a sample glass at RealTail II.

Appearance: Clear Orange-brown with an off white head that managed to fade to a ring around the glass before I received my beer.

Aroma: Slight aroma of whiskey, vanilla and oak, no hop profile left and a slight acidic tinge.

Taste: Sour lactic acidity with an earthy oak flavor. I couldn't detect any whiskey, which is probably a good thing since I don't think it would work well with the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Acidic and dry with low carbonation and a medium body.

Overall: Not what I was expecting from a BA IPA, but I still really enjoyed it.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Has a nice copper coloration, like amber. A nice one finger head that isn't present very long, just long enough to let you know its there. Very aromatic from the whiskey barrels and hops. The whiskey is very evident in this, and ends with a nice hoppy bitterness. It was much fuller bodied than any whiskey you'll have, but had the flavor, but, obviously, not as boozy.

This was really a nice execution of a whiskey barrel aged IPA, and definitely worth checking out if you like barrel aged IPAs, or can appreciate whiskey.

to view more.