Brewers' Cut Altbier - Real Ale Brewing Company

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Altbier |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: MattSweatshirt on 04-22-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 8
Reviews by BryanCarey:
3.9/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Real Ale Brewer’s Cut Altbier is a bronze/auburn colored beer with a nose that is malty and sweet, with toasted notes and some grassy hops. The body of the beer is completely clear and the foam on this beer is only slight, but it is creamy in texture and does leave some lacing as you consume.

This beer offers a nice flavor profile that joins tastes of a German Alt with that of noble hops. The taste sensations include toasted malt, caramel malt, herbal notes, bread, and some earthy moments, particularly in the finish. The beer is balanced nicely between the sweet and the bitter and it has a flavor profile that most all craft beer fans will enjoy.

Real Ale Brewer’s Cut Altbier is the 5th entry in Real Ale Brewing’s Brewer’s Cut series and is yet another beer easily capable of making it on its own, even though the plan is to release it once and never brew it again. The balance in flavors and the combination of grassy hops and German elements make this a beer worth trying and one that could likely sell well as a regular release product or seasonal beer.

I like this beer for many reasons and I wouldn’t mind trying again if I can track it down. The balance is nice and the German elements and noble hops combination is certainly one that works for me. Whether or not we will ever see it again remains a question mark, so I recommend finding it and trying it very soon, if possible.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle pours a hazed chestnut color with a modest cap of light tan head. Average retention and little lace.

Nose is nutty, hazelnuts actually with some toffee maltiness.

Taste is pretty good, it has a nice nutty quality without any harsh tannin/toast bitterness. Its on the malty side but still manages to stay pretty dry. Reminds me of a good Dunkel mixed with an English Brown Ale. Im not hating the fact I only got a single of this, but I also dont think Id have had much trouble finishing a sixer.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear, deep amber with a massive, dense off-white head, with superb retention. The carbonation is slight, Belgian-style lacing adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: Grassy hops vie with adundant toasted malt for a simple but very pleasant aroma.

Taste: Strong grassy and herbal hops up front, with an understated toasted malt presence. Later in the taste, the hops turn earthy with a lingering bitterness which utterly vanquishes the toasted malt. Finishes with a lingering earthy and metallic hop note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, very pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Far too biased towards the hops for my taste, nonetheless, replendent with the quality and craftsmanship that Real Ale is noted for.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purchased at HEB in Texas in April, 2013 for $8.99/six-pack.

3.96/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Kind of an auburn color, clear, with a half finger head, but it lasted and left pretty decent lacing.

Definitely very malty in both aroma and taste. Lots of grainy notes and toasty grains come through, some breadiness too. Hops come through well and offer some balance, although it still remains a very malt-forward beer. Medium body and not real heavily carbonated. it's still very easy to drink and quite enjoyable.

Kind of reminds me of my first all grain beer, a maris otter smash where I didn't use enough willamette to balance out the malt. It was still quite a tasty brew, and I was quite pleased, but it was just more of a showcase for the malt than the hops. This beer is balanced much better, with a good crisp bite of hops, but is still showcasing the malts nicely.

I go on and off hop kicks, and I guess I'm in an "off" mode lately, because I've been drinking a lot of this one, and some other non-hop-head beers too. Definitely try this one for a change of pace, altbiers aren't very common and this one is really good.
So far I've liked every beer from this brewery, this one is no exception.

EDIT for re-review: This beer has really grown on me, and I liked it the first time! I don't know if it's this specific blend of ingredients from RABC, or just altbiers in general that I'm really liking lately, but heck I think I've bought about five or six sixers of this beer so far, and will in all likelihood keep buying them until it's gone! I think a sturdily malty altbier-ish homebrew might be in the near future. I'd like to brew something fairly clonish.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Brewers' Cut Altbier from Real Ale Brewing Company