Brewers' Cut Altbier - Real Ale Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Altbier |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: MattSweatshirt on 04-22-2013)
Reviews by MaddDogg84:
4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.79/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle pours a hazed chestnut color with a modest cap of light tan head. Average retention and little lace.

Nose is nutty, hazelnuts actually with some toffee maltiness.

Taste is pretty good, it has a nice nutty quality without any harsh tannin/toast bitterness. Its on the malty side but still manages to stay pretty dry. Reminds me of a good Dunkel mixed with an English Brown Ale. Im not hating the fact I only got a single of this, but I also dont think Id have had much trouble finishing a sixer.

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear, deep amber with a massive, dense off-white head, with superb retention. The carbonation is slight, Belgian-style lacing adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: Grassy hops vie with adundant toasted malt for a simple but very pleasant aroma.

Taste: Strong grassy and herbal hops up front, with an understated toasted malt presence. Later in the taste, the hops turn earthy with a lingering bitterness which utterly vanquishes the toasted malt. Finishes with a lingering earthy and metallic hop note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, very pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Far too biased towards the hops for my taste, nonetheless, replendent with the quality and craftsmanship that Real Ale is noted for.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purchased at HEB in Texas in April, 2013 for $8.99/six-pack.

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Kind of an auburn color, clear, with a half finger head, but it lasted and left pretty decent lacing.

Definitely very malty in both aroma and taste. Lots of grainy notes and toasty grains come through, some breadiness too. Hops come through well and offer some balance, although it still remains a very malt-forward beer. Medium body and not real heavily carbonated. it's still very easy to drink and quite enjoyable.

Kind of reminds me of my first all grain beer, a maris otter smash where I didn't use enough willamette to balance out the malt. It was still quite a tasty brew, and I was quite pleased, but it was just more of a showcase for the malt than the hops. This beer is balanced much better, with a good crisp bite of hops, but is still showcasing the malts nicely.

I go on and off hop kicks, and I guess I'm in an "off" mode lately, because I've been drinking a lot of this one, and some other non-hop-head beers too. Definitely try this one for a change of pace, altbiers aren't very common and this one is really good.
So far I've liked every beer from this brewery, this one is no exception.

EDIT for re-review: This beer has really grown on me, and I liked it the first time! I don't know if it's this specific blend of ingredients from RABC, or just altbiers in general that I'm really liking lately, but heck I think I've bought about five or six sixers of this beer so far, and will in all likelihood keep buying them until it's gone! I think a sturdily malty altbier-ish homebrew might be in the near future. I'd like to brew something fairly clonish.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Growler from Premium Draught in Houston.

A: Pours a clear reddish/brown color. A pillowing two finger white head forms with good retention. Nice lace is left behind. Looks like spiderweb legs.
S: Up front is grassy and herbal hops. Earthy, then the great malt character comes in. Toasted malt, baked bread, and a light sweetness. A bit of earthy bitterness lingers in the nose.
T: At first, this follows the nose. With an Earthy, grassy, and herbal hop flavor. Toasted malts again follow the hops. A nutty flavor as well. The sweetness is a bit stronger here, but still very nice.
M/D: A medium body that is very crisp and effervescent. I wish it was just a bit dryer, but still very refreshing and clean. Easy to drink. Something I can enjoy all day. I just wish the alcohol was a bit lower.

I am really digging some of the Albier's that are being made in Texas right now. Hops & Grain has a great one, and I think I might like this one a little more. A very good, if not great representation of the style in the US. I will be looking to pick up a few six packs when I see this around.

Brewers' Cut Altbier from Real Ale Brewing Company