Brewers' Cut Kölsch - Real Ale Brewing Company

Brewers' Cut KölschBrewers' Cut Kölsch

Real Ale Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Kölsch |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Riccymon on 07-29-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

videofrog, Aug 24, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

jngrizzaffi, Aug 19, 2013
3.24/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours out a hazy pale straw. Smell is grainy and kind of boozy. Flavor is of light malts and tasty noble hops with a sharp hop bite. Could be a little less cerealy for me. I get a bit of booze in this, which is odd considering the low abv. Very distinctive Real Ale house taste which I really don't want in this beer. Mouthfeel is a little soft. Would like more bubbles. Overall this isn't bad, but I'd much rather Hans' Pils. This kills Love Street, but what doesn't?

goochpunch, Aug 18, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

E_Cox, Aug 16, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle pours a fairly hazed yellow with a short-lived white head. Nice collar with a few splatters of lace.

Nose is light and grainy with a moderate amount of the signature kolsch yeast...light pickling spices and has a lemony twist. I give it a 6/10 on the kolsch yeast-o-meter.

Taste is grainy malt that is crisp enough to fool you into thinking wheat. The hops are light and provide a certain grassy-ness to it. Yeast is influential, but not anything too noteworthy. Where this beer shines is the brilliant use of pilsner malt and precise fermentation. So crisp and refreshing...a welcome addition to the late Texas summer.

twiggamortis420, Aug 15, 2013

ChrisKuhns, Aug 11, 2013

FrizWhiz, Aug 11, 2013

kjkinsey, Aug 11, 2013

OgreSanchez, Aug 10, 2013

Tiernan, Aug 08, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clear straw/yellow color. At first a two finger bubbly white head forms with good retention initially. The foam recedes quickly after a minute with light lace.
S: Floral, earthy, and leafy hops. Fresh cut grass and hay. Peppery spice. baked bead with a dry cracker character. A bit of bitterness in the nose.
T: Follows the nose with that floral, earthy Noble Hop character. Toasted malt, baked bread and a dry cracker flavor again. A little more bitterness lingers on here. Really enjoyable, and pretty much spot on for the stye.
M/D: A light to medium body with crisp carbonation. Perfectly clean and dry. So easy and enjoyable to drink. All day with this, and near perfect for the style.

Real Ale is killing it with the Brewer's Cut releases. Spot on for the style, and something that will be a staple in my fridge while this lasts. Just like the Altbier was.

champ103, Aug 07, 2013

Gagnonsux, Aug 04, 2013
3.95/5  rDev 0%

Brewer’s Cut 007 Kolsch
Real Ale
20130803
12oz bottle to modern pint
Best by 11.13.13

A – A slightly hazy, kind of clear straw color, with a hint of off-white. The color is thin and cold (flat, uninviting), but under some light it glows a little.

S – Pretty green; I’m getting straw, apple, and grain, as well as a tiny cabbage note. There’s a hint of something coming out as it warms. As it warms a strange but pleasing biscuit-melon smell comes out.

T – Taste matches smell, but at first tastes better than I thought it would. But then the aftertaste is full of grain and green apple, which I don’t like. The middle taste is actually very good. I’m having trouble pinning it, but I think it might be a melon, or a well-done sweet apple. As it warms, this flavor comes to dominate, which saves it from being a plain, average beer. I think it’s cantaloupe.

M – Light and quite crisp, though a little rough feeling on the back end (with that grainy aftertaste). The finish is dry on just the tongue, and quite refreshing. The only downside is the slight roughness. As it warms, this roughness subsides, letting the beer be smooth and refreshing.

D – This beer was a curveball to me before it warmed enough. I liked half of each STM characteristic, and disliked the other half. However, as it warms (I left it out for 15-20 minutes before opening), the melon taste becomes confident and takes center stage, saving this beer from mediocrity. I went from ‘I wouldn’t buy a single again’ to ‘considering buying a six pack to slake my thirst after walking home in 100 degree weather for the rest this month’ in about 15 minutes. But maybe I’m being generous at this late hour. There are other beers I’d rather have, but this one is gentle and light yet flavorful, and I wouldn’t mind two a week for three weeks. But enough effusing. My numerics while considering style:
3, 4, 4, 4, 4; 3.97.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

GibbonsTheBeerGuy, Aug 03, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Real Ale has been producing good to great entry-level styles for years, between Fireman's, Hans Pils, and Full Moon, so I expected a lot from this Brewers' Cut edition. And in typical Real Ale fashion, this kolsch really delivers. Among the best takes on the style I've had--not as fruity as Goose Island or Alaskan's (not that there's anything wrong with that)--but rather, what I believe to be more of a classic kolsch.

Pours from the bottle a sparkling straw-yellow color with a couple inches of pillowy white head. I'd comment on head retention, but honestly, I took this beer down so quickly I don't think I can be accurate. The nose is classic kolsch--sweet cereal and maybe a hint of spicy Noble hops.

Crisp, clean flavors from Noble hops with a light grainy backbone. Though the flavors may seem simple, they're really refined and well-balanced. Light in body and with plenty of carbonation, this kolsch finishes with a fitting dryness, leaving you immediately ready for the next sip.

I'm no BJCP judge, but everything about this kolsch screams true to style, and I'm rating it in that light. Incredibly easy to drink and delicious with a $7.50-$8.00/six-pack price tag. I'd love if Real Ale brings this back as a seasonal or on a permanent basis!

Riccymon, Jul 29, 2013