Belgian Whitecap - Mackinaw Brewing Company

Belgian Whitecap
No picture uploaded.

Mackinaw Brewing Company

Witbier |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-20-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by CoSMoSYS:
CoSMoSYS

It's not too often I get to go on vacation and while I'm there try out different beers then I'm used to drinking back at home. So it was a real treat when I tasted this beer.

The serving type was in a glass off the tap. Usually, I don't like beers off tap but for this one I can make an exception. It was served in a glass bigger than I'm used to from the brewpubs I visit back home.

The appearance was a hazy gold that got darker on the way to the bottom. There was barely any head and it slowly dissipated as I continued to drink it. The lacing however, seemed to follow me throughout the drinks life and never seemed to fade.

It smelled nice and crisp. I also took in a sense of fruitiness.

The taste was very unique to me. It was definitely crisp but it didn't have that back of the throat burning sensation as you drank it. It was pretty hot on of the days we visited so I was naturally thirsty. But I was surprised to see half of the beer gone when I only had it for a few minutes.

The mouthfeel was delightful, not too heavy and not too light. Just perfect.

I could easily drink quite of few of these since it was so good! Can't wait to go back!

06-13-2007 14:27:15 | More by CoSMoSYS

Scparks

12-01-2012 20:46:02 | More by Scparks
DannyDan

3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

An amber colored brew that has excellent retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The smell is floral hops, orange and maybe coriander. Hard to tell since the smell was very weak. The taste is some orange, coriander and floral hops. The taste reminded me of Blue Moon Belgian Wheat, but the flavor is not quite as strong. The mouthfeel is a light to medium feel that has a nice crisp finish. This is another drinkable beer. This and the Beadle E.S.B. are two Mackinac Brewing beer that I'll buy again.

12-21-2010 04:35:17 | More by DannyDan
sweethome

1.53/5  rDev -55.8%

Well, this is a nice place....
The beer looks like a decent belgian white, hazy yellow/golden color. Rocky head..infected nose. The smell is harsh - off/wild yeast. Lots of coriander, thankfully.

Taste is cutting - bite of infection. Huge coriander tries to hide the infection, but fails. Band aid. The mouthfeel is harsh and biting...sorry to be redundant, but infection.

I could not finish it. Maybe there is a problem with the lines?

08-28-2007 02:12:21 | More by sweethome
Backer2004

4.28/5  rDev +23.7%

And I thought the Summer Love Wheat was good . . . this one takes the cake for Mackinaw Brewing. Malty unfiltered goodness in a glass. Very refreshing and lively in the mouth. Easy to finish and likely to be ordered again next time I can make it up there.

08-20-2005 19:38:32 | More by Backer2004
Mitchster

3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

Mildly cloudy light gold brews forms a faint white head and fine lace. Medium-low carbonation, probably a little too low for the style. Light fruity, mild nose, with a hint of pink bubblegum and no hop aroma. Taste starts with faint oranges, coriander?, and midway through the pink bubblegum assaults your taste buds and sticks around for the finish with just a subtle bittering hop making itself noticeable. Light, crisp mouthfeel, body, and finish. Interesting...somewhat more drinkable due to the light body and crisp finish, but if you don't like pink bubblegum, you'll have a hard time finishing one.

01-20-2003 15:53:42 | More by Mitchster
Belgian Whitecap from Mackinaw Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.