Golden Fraü Honey Wheat - Thunderhead Brewing Company

Thunderhead Brewing Company visit their website
Nebraska, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: bditty187 on 03-01-2005

A wholesome wheat beer brewed with sweet Nebraska Sand Hills honey.
Reviews by tito42:
3.29/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can to an imperial pint. No date on can, but purchased several days ago for me by a friend.

A: Very dense straw color, clearly unfiltered. A slightly off-white head filled the rest of the imperial pint. Decent lacing and retention.

S: Wheat and corn with a touch of honey. I smell adjuncts though I don't believe they are present.

T: Wheat and malt up front with a thinly sweet honey flavor bridging to a bitter hops finish. I tend to not like too much sweetness in beers but it works here and is indicative of the style. The honey and hops does a great job at masking the high ABV. Only slightly spiced if at all.

M: Medium-bodied, not quite as creamy as I expected from this style. Balanced hops bitterness makes its presence known without drying the mouth too much.

O: Extremely drinkable for a 7.5% ABV brew. The wheat, malt, hops, and honey make for an interesting balance in this beer. It is debated whether this is truly a braggot, but it's definitely not your typical wheat beer.

3.77/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev +0.6%

Thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this can.

This is my first Braggot, only a handful of styles left to go. The aroma is heavy on the honey, butter and apples; a mix that doesn't quite work. The flavor is more straight forward with wheat and honey. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

Review from notes. Big thanks to woodychandler for sending this can my way.

A: Pours a golden color with a fizzy white head on top that has very little retention at all and left behind no lacing.

S: On the sweet side, some honey and wheat with a hint of apple. Sort of reminds me of a lager actually.

T: A heavy hand of grain and wheat, some sweetness from the honey, which also comes through a bit. Not a whole lot going on though.

M: Light to medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: Not bad, but needs something more to make it work for me. Just seemed to be missing something, compared to some braggots I have had in the past.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

First let me state that I am a big fan of the brewpubs popping up in rural areas of the U.S. This beer pours a golden yellow. The head is a frothy white that disapates quickly leaving little to no lacing. The beer has a nice wheaty flavor, fairly sweet. But that's how we like things in the midwest. There is none of the citrus flavor associated with many wheat beers today. I drank this while eating a cheesesteak sandwich and.onion rings. It did a great job of scrubing the grease and onion out of my mouth and leaving it prepared for the next bite.

I can imagine this being a preprohibition era beer brewed up by Kearneys local brewery serving thirsty hard working farmhands. No bells and whistles just a straight forward daily drinking beer.

3.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Thunderhead Golden Frau Honey Wheat
Can from Whole Foods Omaha, $1.69
No apparent freshness dating

Notes: Golden. OK head & retention. Minimal aroma: sweetish malt & weizen character. Flavor: sweetish but not overdone. Distinct wheat but not honey. OK. Some actual yeast flavor (not much) and mild Bavarian yeast character. Balanced. Nice. Easy to drink with some character.

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a small head. Smell has notes of citrus, honey, and wheat. Taste is mild, wheat with a bit of honey, not overly flavorful. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a decent brew.

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

2.31/5  rDev -31.9%

I had this one served to me at a resturant so I was not able to see the initial pour. When the beer came to me what remnance of head was left was barely visable. No lacing to speak of on this one. A warm yellow to gold color is inviting if not too ordinary. The smell was....in two words....not good. Very heavy on sweet almost artificial smells of fruit. No hops were present in the aroma that I could detect. The taste was just as sweet as the smell. Not a repulsive brew but not my cup of tea. It did feel ok on the cheek however very rich and nice going down. I gave them credit on the drinkability of this one. Could be very appealing to a macro guy or even a good beer for your wife/girlfriend...My wife seemed to like it very much.

Honey in color. Look more like lemon juice when held up to the light. Ivory colored head that fades fast.
Very sweet aroma. Not very honey like, but sweet none the less.
Flavor follows the aroma well. Sweet, not cloying sweet but more of a suductive sweet. Hint of spices and faint flavor of ETOH.
Light bodied. Crisp and refreshing.
Nice light summertime beer. Kudos for the can. I wish more micros would can their beer.

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

poured from a 12oz can into pint glass

A-poured a light amber with a 1 finger head that faded quickly

S-a little bit of straw type smell followed by a faint honey

T-not much taste but there is a light sweet honey taste and a grainy aftertaste

M-well carbonated could have a little more body to go with the sweetness

O-ok, definately not the worst thing I've ever had, but not something to go out of the way for.

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a creamy white head that fades fast but leaves descent lacing.

The aroma is of wet hay, fresh straw, sweet wheat and honey. Hints of apple and citrus lemon.

Average wheat beer. Wheat, fresh hay, coriander, lemon and apple. Follows the nose. Its ok.

Grainy mixed with creamy. A bit thin. Ok for the style.

Overall, its just ok.

4.76/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I drink beer. I drink a lot of beer. At six bucks, I was reluctant to try this wheat beer.....but I did. Wow!!! What a joy. $3.00 a six pack is usually my limit. This is one fine brew....and it's made in NebrAska. This is no sissy beer. After 9 I could tell the brewers had done their homework. I was feeling good and ready to start drinking more. This is a man's beer. Glad I found it.....even tho it costs six bucks a six pack. I wish they would make it in quarts.

3.89/5  rDev +14.7%

The beerista talked me into trying this, even tho I'm a bit of a hop head. It's light and refreshing, not sweet or super wheaty as the name suggests. I wouldn't buy a 6 pack but it's a pleasant departure from my usual.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

3.99/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured into a balloon glass.

The beer is a very hazy peachy orange? A white head recedes to a wisp and a lot of webby lacing remains on the glass. The aroma is of cereal grains, wheat, and of course honey. The taste is sweet up front but not cloying. Barley and wheat grains carry through the body with a nice honey glaze. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Overall, I enjoyed this a lot. The 7.5% ABV is hidden well.

2.78/5  rDev -18%

Doing the CAN-CAN in Omaha, NE! What next?

Two fingers of rocky, bone-white head with low retention. Color was a hazy lemon-yellow. Nose was fairly sweet, undoubtedly the interaction of honey and wheat. Mouthfeel was light with a very light sweetness on the tongue. I would have said that it needed more Ooomph were it not for the ABV. This could be consumed way too easily. Finish was likewise light and slightly sweet.

Some miscellaneous info from the CAN: "Never filtered, never pasteurized, always refrigerate. The award winning Thunderhead Brewing Company brings you the finest family of beers from the fertile plains of America. Craft-brewed with the finest natural ingredients, these refreshing adult beverages are sure to satisfy all. Never filtered. Never pasteurized. Consume with confidence. Ale brewed with wheat and honey. Serve chilled."

Golden Fraü Honey Wheat from Thunderhead Brewing Company