Blackwater Porter - Orlando Brewing Partners

good

Orlando Brewing Partners visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  5.43% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-24-2004)
Reviews by beerdown77:
3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

This pours very dark brown with big, tan head and some sediment. The smell is slight coffee and toasted malt. The taste is slightly sweeter than I would expect from the smell, but there is still a pretty good balance to this beer. The aftertaste leaves a bit of a crisp, dry sensation…thus the name. This beer seems a little thin to me, and the retention of the head is not outstanding. Still, this is a drinkable beer with a pleasant, smoky flavor that is great for the style. If you like this beer, you will love Edmond Fitzgerald from Great Lakes.

beerdown77, Sep 24, 2011
3.76/5  rDev +0.5%

DFlynn, Wednesday at 12:27 AM

tugg407, Nov 18, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

DarrellK, Sep 20, 2012

johnyb, Jun 20, 2014
2.65/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Please note, I like my Porters and Stouts to have at minimum a medium body...this porter has a light body....so it did not score hi with me...however, some may really enjoy this beer. The beer poured a darker amber with thin white head that did not lace. The smell included all the scents that one would want in a porter, but was a little weak. The taste included toasty malt, sweet chocolate tones and hint of espresso....again just weak. A sharp bitterness at the end hurts the beer. The mouthfeel was weak for a porter, light in body but good carbonation. Overall....not good for me.

WoodBrew, Jan 27, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

On-tap at the Orlando Brewery. Pours a pitch black body with a huge creamy tan head. Appearance is just beautiful! Aroma consists of dark roasted malts, coffee and chocolate. Taste is creamy and smooth with roasted malt that finishes dry. This is a really solid porter and something that I will seek out in the future!

cjgator3, Aug 24, 2006

Jasoncolliver, Jun 26, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Segelstrom, Apr 13, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Cask at the Cricketeer’s Arm. Served by a big dude named Red. Deep black with a firm mocha head and a huge coffee/toffee aroma. It is indeed chock full of coffee, toffee and roasty notes. Very dry finish and as I can readily attest HIGHLY drinkable.

Great stuff.

Jredner, Jan 20, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

tjsmith910, Nov 08, 2013

Scott_McCool, Mar 31, 2013

FlemingVSKing, Mar 28, 2013

JohneHoodlum, Dec 07, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Lately I've been so lucky to be trying some really good beer - this local brew from Orlando was another pleasant surprise that keeps my lucky streak going.

The beer pours practically black out of the bottle with a light hint of caramel. No head but the lacing sticks all the way down. The smell of the porter blew me away - there was a strong odor of chocolate with hints of cinnamon and what I would call "sweet malt." The beer feels thick and the carbonation was just about right - a little aftertaste though. The taste was just slightly disappointing - it reminded me a bit of drinking a pale ale (which I've learned I'm not too big of a fan) but those scents of "sweet malt" and cinnamon came through. I gave it an overall low score since the aftertaste stuck in my mouth way longer than I would have liked. Otherwise, it's a great beer and it's nice to know someone is brewing good, local beer.

jjamadorphd, Mar 10, 2013

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

wisegreensoul, Aug 04, 2014

bcuz7, May 19, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

What a pleasant surprise!

While on vacation, with the family at Disney World; I discovered the Orlando Brewing Co.
I never knew they existed. One of the bars at our resort had the "Old Pelican" on draft. I was so impressed with it that I made some inquiries as to where I could buy some bottles to take back home with me (PA).
I found a "Whole Foods" market nearby, and I bought a mixed case of OBC offerings.

This Black Water Porter is typical of all their brews--high quality, and attention to detail.
Color and aroma are spot on for a dry porter
Great taste, head retention and lasing.
A "must try"
I would highly recommend anything from this producer.

eandolina, Feb 01, 2012