Blue Bell Bitter - Magnolia Pub & Brewery

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.42/5  rDev +21.8%

This beer was lock to try when I got around to trying the Magnolia pub. First it was on cask, gee that was easy. Second it was brewed with Maris Otter malt and English hops. This beer pourd a copper color, head retention was great, I was surprised by the lack of lacing though. Nice earthy malty aroma. Smooth fruity taste profile reminded me of British cask beer. Solid mouthfeel and drinkability is superb. Was I in London? Excellent, and one of the most authentic bitters I have encountered here at home.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I originally sampled this beer on 31 May 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
I sampled this cask conditioned at Pizza POrt's real ale fest 2003: it is hazy brown with a large white head, slightly roasty nose, slightly sour taste; all in all, it's a mediocre session beer

3.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on San Diego Real Ale Festival:

Beer pours light coppery and hazy from the hops.

Aroma is spicy with a corn edge to the malt.

Flavor is balanced well to the edge of hop razor wire. The hops are intensely grassy with a large presence of tannin that leads the finish to being a lemon grass tea.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last