Sour Cherry Imperial Stout - Pumphouse Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Pumphouse Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2004)
Reviews by BadRockBeer:
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Serving Type Sampled: On tap at The Pumphouse Brewery in Longmont, CO. This was made available for the 5th annual Strong Ale Festival.

Appearance: Poured an almost black in color with a medium brown 1½ finger head that never really faded.

Smell: Tartness, cherries I guess, burnt malt, and bourbon.

Taste: Very complex. I first taste a light bourbon flavor coupled with sour cherries. Very interesting. I also taste burnt malts, maybe some chocolate and black patent. I also taste hints of coffee. Hops are not there for taste but they defiantly do their job bittering. Finishes with a somewhat cloying aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Heavy in body, light in carbonation.

Drinkability: Poor. I really liked this beer however I could not drink more that about 4oz. in a sitting. Apparently this is blended with past years batches. Very nice, great work Pumphouse.

BadRockBeer, Apr 22, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

An over all good beer. I dont think it should be called "sour" cherry. Just cherry is more fitting. The cherry flavor is noticable but fades away qwick. It almost seems that it was added flavor late in the brew. Good stout flavors, has the deep coffie sent and taste. The pour and the head were both up to standards. Might drink this again but it seems to be just a knock off of there other stout.

RoBotGod, Mar 25, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +7%

Yum. I like imperial stouts enough to be afraid that the cherry would oversweeten, but it didn't. The cherry is definitely there in smell (stronger) and taste. The cherry taste is a sour and not a sweet, and well balanced with the hops and roastiness that the imperial stout style calls for. I was impressed that a fruity imperial stout could be this well done.

texashammer, Mar 22, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

On tap at the Pumphouse and sampled at the Boulder Strong Ale Festival. I have to say I was surprised to see that the two existing reviews for this beer were as low as they are. This was one of my favorites at the Strong Ale Festival, and the motivation for my trip to the Pumphouse. Apparently the version currently available is a blend of previous years, so maybe it has gotten better - but I really enjoyed this beer. It pours solid black with a medium sized brown head that stayed to the bottom. Left a very nice lacing on the glass. The aroma has hints of cherry, but is dominated by a burnt sugar smell. It reminds me of creme brulee after it has been torched. Taste is similar - the cherry is subtle but provides a nice balance to the more common stout flavors. There is a nice amount of roasted flavors, with some chocolate and coffee as well. Hops are there in just the right quantity to provide a slightly bitter finish. All in all this was one of my favorites - if you ever have the chance to try it don't hesitate.

rowew, Mar 08, 2005
Sour Cherry Imperial Stout from Pumphouse Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.