Tannenzäpfle - Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG

German Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-13-2003

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quite a pale gold, with a solid but bubbly white head with decent retention and lacing. Big bread aroma with honey and fresh wheat, a full, grainy, branny nose. Crisp and tangy flavour with some nice floral hops and a touch of honey and a bit of tonic water. Nice and fresh, but not quite as hoppy as it should be.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

**Note: This is the same brew as the normal Rothaus Pils, just as Ungespundet writes below. I did a side by side test and the two tasted exactly the same. The Tannenzäpfle is just a smaller bottle.

Nice clear golden color. Thick head that stuck around pretty well. Had a sweet yet assertively hoppy aroma, good lager smell.

Tasted great. This is one of the best Pils I've had anywhere. Much fuller flavor than other pilsners, with a nice spicy hop flavor as well. Not over-carbonated and very smooth, just how I like em. High marks all around.

If only the American beer standard were as high as it is in Germany...

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

I accidentally entered this into Rothaus Pils instead of Rothaus Tannenzäpfle. Now that we can delete reviews, I'm correcting the problem. Originally reviewed, 4/22/2005:

From a bottle that's as fresh as Will Smith was in the 90s. Pours so pale it's almost like white gold just as it's beginning to discolor. The bubbles that stream from the bottom of the glass initially are champagne-like and plentiful, though they taper off later in the drink. The head doesn't form -- it congeals into a dense, thick white froth that simply clings to the surface of the beer, to the glass, to anything within its reach.

Impressions form. Sweet malts, herbal hops, lemongrass, biscuity doughiness. Somehow it's both airy and creamy, packed with so much natural malt goodness, I'm astonished. I've paid lip service to pilseners for about two years. I've enjoyed them for six to twelve months. But I've revered them since consuming this for the first time only 5 days ago or so. This is amazing. Finishes with a dose of spicy, noble hops. Clean and refreshing. If pilseners all tasted like this at some point in the past, it's not at all surprising that people were so taken with them so as to make it such a popular style. It's not the perfect beer, but it's perfect for so many situations.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

I happened upon this, on-tap at the snack-bar at Heidelberg Castle on a cold winters' day. I'd just finished a piece of sweet almond-cream cake, and the beer did not conflict, whatsoever, with any of the cake's effects in my mouth.

In fact, I was startling suprised at how good the beer was! The head faded rather quickly, but it was not bitter or overly-hoppish at all, as with some Pilsener's. I cleared my mouth with some stille-water and tried again. Superb. I quickly drank about half of my .3L stein. Then I had some of my espresso, and some more Tannzenapfle. No conflilct, again-- in fact, rather complementary. We were about to enter the Castle for our tour, but I just had to get another .3L of this outstanding beer before departing the snack-bar.

I tried to see if I could discover any secret hints of taste. It seemed to have hints of apple, carob and mandarin-orange or tangerine, very subtly. I really really enjoyed this beer! Very clean.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours a brilliant, clear golden color. The frothy white head is fairly tall initially, and sticks around for a while, depositing some soapy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Some doughy, grainy maltiness in the nose. A bit of lagery sourness as well. Noble hops are bright and assertive, with primarily spicy/herbal character complemented nicely by a light lemony citric tone.

T: Moderately grainy and rather doughy malts. Light sweetness up front before a lightly sour finish. Hop bitterness is strong. Flavor is equal parts German herbal/spicy noble hops and bitter lemon rind, which works very well in conjunction. As strange as it sounds, I get a light mineral character from this beer as well.

M: I feel like the body is actually on the full side of medium, but carbonation is crisp and perky to keep things from getting thick. Dry and slightly biting in the finish.

D: A very good German pils. Drinkable, assertive, and refreshing. A nice showcase of doughy malts, bold pale lager character, and German hops.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

This was one of the better beers I had when visiting my cousin. He made a run to the beer store when he hear I 'reviewed' beers. It was only O.59 Euros per bottle. Pour was a light golden yellow. I ended up with a small, low white head. I didn't note the aroma, but the taste was like a piece of vollkornbrot, so you know it was nice rich and bready. It had a good mouthfeel with slightly prickly carbonation, so this beer was pretty decent. Did have hop extracts.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer came courtesy of my friend Georg in my yearly Christmas package from Baden Wuerttemberg. It's his go to beer and it is easy to see why.
Except for a big white head the beer could be mistaken for a glass of champagne. Same color and lots of carbonation.The smell is the low point for this beer , it smells sour maybe Stella-like. There are several tastes. Dominating are an apple sweetness followed by a nice hop bitter bite which lingers. This beer is light and very refreshing. I easily could have several. They should export this to the states. Once again the Germans know what they are doing.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

330ml bottle 5,1% Abv.
Served chilled in an over sized wine glass.
Best before: 18/12/2012

Appearance: Light golden body (crystal clear), topped by a large white head. The head displays good retention and leaves some patchy lace.

Smell: There is not as much hop character as I expected, but I guess that is as a result of the age of the bottle. That said, the nose is more than solid. Notes include: Grassy noble hops, pale grain, an earthy note and a touch of pale fruit.

Taste: Mmmm, this is certainly a delicious pilsner - grassy hops and pale grain dominate, with a light herbal character and some sweetness also being noted. The finish is lightly dry and fairly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Light (or just over) bodied, with fantastic carbonation - high level and initially quite smooth with a crisp finish.

Overall: This is easily the best pilsner I have had - it is not all that complex, but it very clean and highly drinkable.

3.55/5  rDev -13.8%

A: About as good as a pilsner can look. Perfect fluffy head, great carbonation. Thin gold in color.

S: Rich malt, clean.

T: A bit sour metal, clean malt.

M: A tad astringent making it sand papery and the carbonation is quite mild. Mouthpuckering.

D: Ok. Above average but not stunning.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

330ml bottle, poured into Leffe Chalice, pale colour, small fading head, some lacing retained. Aroma was seemed to be Spalt and Tettnang hop, detected some fruit. Tasted very fruity for a Pils, notes of Tomato pickle along with what I thought was Tettnang and Spalt hop, some gummi bear. Saves the bitterness for the finish which also brings some sour dough with it. Texture is thin, well carbonated, slightly coarse. I thought it held up very well compared to North German Pils style beers, as it was nowhere near as harsh and had more depth.

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured out a piss yellow color, maybe with a slight greenish tinge. Has a small white ehad that dissapears into nothing. The nose is strong pilsner, it's like soeone took a classic german pils and made is super concentrated. This is the DIPA of pilsners. Lots of saaz ops, some green fresh grain. The taste is much more mellow. Some nice assertive hopping comes through, bellied by ample grain. Very well balanced, not over assertive. Has a tight prickly mouthfeel. Nicely drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

A very light golden transparent color; the head quicly fades into a nice collar. The smell was citric and hoppy. The taste is mostly hoppy, and slightly citric with a hint of honey.Hops are very powerful. A very round mouthfeel, with a dry aftertaste. Drinkable, but not great.

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Golden, clear body with a small head that dissipates quickly

Aroma: malty; hoppy

Taste: I didn't care for this beer. It was very bitter overall. I didn't find it well balanced at all

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores