Rothaus Pils Tannen Zäpfle - Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG

Germany

German Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: inebrius on 04-08-2004

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

Its a pils, very clear appearance, poured a very light gold, crystal clear, decent head. Almost nothing to the nose. Taste is pretty good, very enjoyable, I am guessing this is what a pils was meant to taste like but I am simply not a fan of pils in general. Overall, this is decent but not what I would want to drink regular. That said, it was really cool to get to try this old school pils and get an understanding/taste of the history

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Found this hidden gem from Germany in a 6 pack hiding in the fridge section at Wooden Keg in Hagerstown, MD. Remember reading that some of these made it across the pond and was excited to actually find a 6 pack of it in a store in Western Maryland.

Best before 4/30/15 on label (drinking on 2/7/15 so should be pretty fresh) Beautiful pilsner in the glass to look at. Smell isn't quite what I was hoping for. Actually smells a tad adjunct and slight skunk. No issues though. Taste is solid for a pilsner but I had much higher expectations for this one because of the rareness and buzz about it. The hops are subdued in flavor somewhat but they get you at the end with crispness and slight bitterness but nothing overwhelming. Overall, its a solid German pilsner but can't put it into my elite tier 1 group of my favorite Pilsners. I'm sure its wonderful if you have it on tap in Germany. Worth a try if you can find it in the US, but not necessary will knock your socks off. If you go in with moderate expectations, and you are a fan of pilsners, you are sure to enjoy this one. Just looking at the label while I drink it makes me happy!

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

4.24/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

don't get fooled by the oldfashioned label, it's a great beer !

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The aroma is simple but agreeable with light crayon, white bread, and faint delicious red apple. The body is a brilliantly clear pale gold with a white head. The flavor includes a light, dry, earthy, crayon bitterness, mildly grainy sweetness, with some spicy/herbal hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is fairly light and quite crisp.

Solid and refreshing but largely par for the course. Sufficiently flavorful.

Review: 0.33 l Bottle of Rothaus Pils TannenZäpfle, 5.1%ABV

The great classic Germany pils with the super cool “old school” style label on the iconic 0.33 bottle format. This is a very popular beer, a cult brand, this beer from the Black Forest.

Aroma was quite strong to be honest, took me aback a little, wow. The grassy hops and citrus hitting the senses very quickly. A strong and clean earthy and grainy smell picked up. This aroma woke me up alright!

On the appearance side of things the beer looks pretty damn good. Very clean and pure looking, pouring a nice pale yellow colour. Head is pretty decent, nice and frothy, with a little lacing. A real good looking pilsner, with a nice crystal clear body.

The taste was very interesting, strong with a slightly malty initial taste to it, which lingers in the mouth. Some cereals, a hoppy finish and an equally strong bitter hoppy aftertaste. The beer had a very strong depth to it, and a lovely crisp feel in the mouth. The beer definitely grows on you and after a few more scoops I started to enjoy this beer. Was a good well balanced tasting beer, from the start to the finish, an interesting experience from the Black Forest.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

I've been off beer for maybe 20 years. I used to get super sleepy if I had it and other side effects (food intolerances). I've just got back from a 2 week holiday in the Black Forest and on our first day there I saw "Tannen Zäpfle" on the drinks list at an Italian restaurant and, in my ignorance, thought it meant apple something-or-other, so decided to ask what it was to order it. The waitress told me it was beer and I immediately thought "Ok, I'll need to try something else", but then thought "Should I give it a go after all this time?" - in the end, I ordered a small one, 30Cl. I suppose you can say I just got lucky with the beer because it was basically awesome. It was a hot day and the beer was so deliciously cold and fresh. It's golden, with streams of bubbles continuously rising from the bottom of the glass for the entire duration of the drink. It turned me right back onto beer in an instant.

During the rest of the two weeks, I spent my time moving from white beers to wheat beers, to dark beers, home brews and other pilsners and, to be honest, I was always chasing the taste and feeling of this Rothaus Pils and the truth is that nothing is as good. Some were really good but just not this good.

Now that I'm back home, I'm visiting my local brew shop and buying beers from all round the world, IPAs, Weissbiers, lagers, exports, local brews, everything and I know I'm still chasing the taste of this beer. Of course, I'm not basing this on one drink alone. During the 2 weeks in Germany I had multiple Rothaus Pils. On tap, from bottles, supermarket six packs, the lot. As I say, I'm now totally back on beer and loving it. Although I can't find anything as yet to compare to this beer, I'm enjoying the attempt to find something.

If you're in the Black Forest, i advise you to fill your boots with this one! :)

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%