Rothaus Pils Tannen Zäpfle - Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG

Rothaus Pils Tannen ZäpfleRothaus Pils Tannen Zäpfle

Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: inebrius on 04-08-2004)

TaylorLarson, Oct 16, 2014

Gregwa, Jan 03, 2012

IPhantom, Aug 04, 2013

There doesn't seem to be anything more simple and good than relaxing in an espresso-scented cafe watching Chelsea and Arsenal of the All-London Champions League battle it out while draining glasses of fresh Rothaus Pils mere kilometers from the source. Leave it to a Staatsbrauerei, or State-owned brewery, to make a beer of this quality. The people demand it! Reminiscent of another Staatsbrauerei just East of Baden. You might have heard of it. Weihenstephan.

I was lucky enough to have an abundant supply of the Pils within two flights of stairs at the lobby bar of the Central Hotel Schwenningen. Needless to say, I ended most of my evenings there, happily snorting the open rim of the glass, incessantly sip-sipping like some crazed beer fiend who found the mother-lode. I must have been a sight. Watching the puffy white cap form quick strata as the pale-gold liquid underneath rapidly vanished. I drank from one side only to ensure I could layer the glass completely and was always hesitant to give up my finished piece of art to the tender. I did though, every time, for a freshy, billowing odors of lemongrass and honey drenched sopapillas straight from the fryer, flavored by exquisitely balanced portions of creamy malted barley and spicy hops. A most drinkable beer that washes down a thumb of Kirschwasser or a Kebap equally well, yet can stand alone if the situation calls.

From Freiburg to Rottweil and all points in-between Rothaus is the bier to seek in Southern Baden. Prima!

inebrius, Apr 08, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

jgreco95988, Aug 16, 2012
4.69/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

APPEARANCE: Two finger, fluffy white head with good retention. Clear golden amber yellow with lots of carbonation.

SMELL: A bold pilsner nose with grainy pilsner malt. More malt than most pils.

TASTE: Pilsner malt, caramel and then some floral hops. Bitterness with a great balance of malt.

PALATE: Smooth.

OVERALL: Flavorless pils this is not. I drink this real fresh in Germany as well as others. I have had many pilsners in Germany and this is my favorite. Bitberger is everywhere but I am happy when I find this great bear from the Black Forest.

Ooji, Sep 30, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

Bottle Date unk

A= pours a nice yellow golden ale with brilliant clarity and a two finger bone white head which falls over the coarse of the beer. Drapes for lacing.

S= Dry, noble hops with a musty and sweet smell. Gotta say, this is the most spot on pils I´ve smelled.

T= Oh man, don´t get much better than this! Grain, perfectly bittered, slightest butter tone. No prevailing esters or off smells, just flirting with the idea. I don´t care if this is so good because I´m drinking in Berlin, but this is the most refreshing pils I´ve ever had.

M= light, crisp, near dry finish.

O= exceptional, delicious beer.

harrymel, Jun 15, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

I drank this beer on several occasions during a recent trip to Switzerland and Southern Germany in the Schwarzwald and Bavaria region. Sampled this wonderful pils from both "Fass" and bottle. This review is based on notes I took from a bottle session.

A: light yellow-straw color. Thick frothy head with good retention and lacing.

S: Spicy hops aroma with a citrusy floral bouquet.

T: A pleasant bitter hopsiness with a soft spicy malt flavor coming through.

M: Smooth and clean with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Very refreshing.

D: Superior session beer. If only I could find this beer in the US.

If I was reviewing the tap version of this beer, it will have receiverd an A+ from me.

Airedoggie, Aug 09, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

Served in its proprietary 50 cl glass, this beer shines clear and golden with a brilliantly structured, billowy three-finger head just jumping out of the glass. It slowly dissipates to a cm of fine bubbles covering the brew for the entire experience.

The smell is of fresh bread and piny/floral hops. The first sip is like biting into a toasted cracker. The malt profile is decidedly dry and really does remind you of bread crust or a saltine cracker. The noble hops character doesn't kick, but rather smooths in with that piny/floral character I so love. The aftertaste is lightly hoppy and clean tasting.

The mouthfeel is medium with a noticeable softness, most likely due to both the source water and lagering process.

I really love this Pils. The balance is outstanding and despite the use of hops extract (a personal turn-off), it has everything you could look for in a German Pils.

Ochsenblut, Feb 20, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

volga, Jul 14, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

This is my pleasure. I finally found a beer that I felt compelled to review.

It pours a light hay-gold with a thumb of creamy head.

The scent is naturally a citrus-grass, with hints of pepper and sweet malt.

Complex and balanced. Bitter hops are present upfront , it peeks with a full and delicious light-malt flavor with a hint of steel, and it finishes with bitter-spice.

full and crisp, super refreshing.

10/10 on drinkability

This is the ideal south german/bavarian pils. It reminds you why beer is the 3rd most drank beverage on the planet and is worthy of our worship as a species. Rothaus Pils reminds you that you are never wrong in drinking 2 or 3 in beers in one sitting. Germany simply has the best beers on the planet earth.

joemacpherson, Jul 31, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Huge thanks to Mattt for this LIF.

I actually searched for this beer in Germany a couple of years ago, but was only able to find their Hefeweizen (which I wasn't overly fond of).

A: Clear, golden yellow with a fluffy white head, good retention & lacing.

S: The steelie-grassyness upfront is somewhat Czech/Zatec-like, but then the peppery, herbal & floral notes come in. Some mineral aroma from the yeast & a nice biscuity/light-breadyness from the malt.

T: Plenty of hop flavour: Very steelie & grassy; spicy; slightly herbal & floral. Light breadyness & caramel from the malt. Crisp bitterness.

M: Well-attenuated (as a German Pils should be); moderate body is smooth (I love that Continental malt), with a slightly prickly acidity from the generous hopping.

D: Hell yeah.

A great beer all around.

I recall liking the Fassla Pils more, but it didn't have as much aroma.

A hell of a bottle. Thanks again Mattt!

Derek, Aug 11, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

The first Bier I drank upon moving to Deutschland. This Bier is the favorite of my girlfriend’s parents, who live near the Schwarzwald. This was very fortunate for me since I lived off the stuff for three months. Does anyone know what the name means? (or care?) I do and here’s the answer. First of all the Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG brews 3 different Biers. A Pils, Hefe Weizen(Weißbier), und ein Märzen Export. Their is often a bit of confusion (even in Germany) on the bottle sizes versus the names. The standard bottle in Germany is a .5 liter bottle and accounts for about 77% of the sales in Germany. The .33 Liter (12 ounce little Ami-size) accounts for about 20% of sales in Germany. These were the numbers in 2005. So if you buy any of the three Biers mentioned above in .5 liter bottle they will have that name, as written above, on the label. If you buy them in the .33 they will have the name Zäpfle added. That means in a .33 you would see them as: Tannenzäpfle(Pils), Hefe Weizen Zäpfle, and Eis Zäpfle(Märzen). You can see why this would create confusion. The case with the Pils is even more confusing because the .5 liter is called Rothaus Pils and the .33 is called Tannenzäpfle. So back to the question what is a Tannezäpfle anyways? It’s actually dialect and even people in those trendy bars up in Berlin would have trouble telling you. A Tannenzapfen is a pine cone. This is standard German. However for the people of who speak Badisch or Schwäbisch the suffix –le is often added to words to describe it as small and sometimes in somewhat of a cute way. So a Tannezäpfle would therefore be a “Small/Little pinecone”(check out the label again). Now does the small bottle thing make sense? I hope anyways. Long story short, it is common mistake to think they are two different Biers but they aren’t. Speaking of Bier I almost forgot why I am here….On to the Bier!!!

This test was done blind with three other Pils so I tried to keep it as unbiased as possible. The big bottle pours a nice medium size bubbled head. It clings nicely to the glass and leaves beautiful lace down to the bottom of the glass. The color is about perfect with what I can only describe a deep straw with no hints of gold or copper. The clarity is like looking through a glass of water. The aroma is typisch Pils and better than most. It starts with a very big crisp and clean hop bouquet. It is very perfume-like featuring very complex fragrances of spicy flowers. Absolutely beautiful!!! I assume their using Tettnanger due their location and then aroma would back this theory up (Tettnanger come from the Lake Constance area). The malt aroma behind these hops is very delicate and exhibits soft Pilsner malt tones which include hints of grain and dry hay. The yeast provides a mild sulfur aroma that brings everything together. In tasting this Pils it begins with a very pleasant up front bitterness. Sweetness in the Bier can only be detected upon swallowing but I quickly fades to a nice lingering bitterness. True to a southern German Pils this Bier is not overly dry and features a very nice balance of Flowery and spicy hop tones coupled with a subtle maltiness. In the end I would have to say that this is one of the best Pils I have ever tried. There is a good reason why this Bier is so popular and doing very well all over Germany. Yeah they have good marketing and some might even say “Gimmicks” .
"Gimmicks, gimmicks, gimmicks, the whole world is nothing but a big gimmick with napalm bombs and machine guns...(pause)...gimmicks man...yeah we got some."
- Jimi Hendrix
Zum Wohl!!!

Ungespundet, Jun 17, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

***Had to review my numbers: I've just realized how good the Rothaus Pils is after having several over the past months; even better on tap!!

Nice clear golden color. Thick head that stuck around pretty well, with very good lacing. Assertively hoppy aroma, nice and dank.

Tasted great. This is one of the best Pils I've had anywhere. Full, with a dank hop flavor as well: spicy, grassy and even a bit citrusy. Not over-carbonated, very soft and smooth. High marks all around.

As far as Pils in Germany goes, this stuff is exciting due to it's hop character and excellent balance. Rothaus is my favorite Pilsner, though Jever gives it a run for its money.

dasenebler, Aug 02, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +14.4%

Received this bottle from a friend who brought it back from Germany. Poured into a Pilsener Glass.

A - Pours a crystal-clear light gold with a dense, creamy head of white foam that recedes to a thick haze.
S - Crisp aromas of cracker malt, spicy hops, fresh-cut grass, and a bit of citrus. Smells very refreshing and clean.
T - Initial flavors of sweet, doughy malt give way to spicy yeast, earthy Noble hops, and some orange peel. Deceptively complex, the flavors are in perfect balance.
M - Incredibly crisp and refreshing, with a medium-thin body and sharp carbonation. This would be a perfect Summer beer, extremely sessionable.
O - Easily the best Pils I've ever had, I would love to have regular access to this over the Summer!

jsanford, May 14, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

500ml bottle poured into my Bitburger pokal

A - pale straw yellow, 3 finger solid creamy head, retention pretty good, lots of good brussels lacing.

S- a very fresh cut grass, lemony smell here. hops are not harsh at all, very delicate, bready fresh malts there aswell.

T - Very subtle in its character but very fresh and tasty. Hops or malt do not overpower each other, both are subtle and balance out very well. Aftertaste is very sweet but with the touch of hops is magnificent. This is a great pils!

M - Zesty lively carbonation, not harsh, firm body, no wateryness

D- Excellent, this is a pils i could drink all day, the sublte lemon edge reminds me of edelstoff from Augustiner. A superb example of the style.

seanyfo, May 15, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

330ml bottle bought from BeersofEurope.co.uk

Poured a pale straw yellow colour... slightly off white head (with a hint of grey) poured quite loose and frothy then faded fairly quickly to almost nothing... only the faintest trace of carbonation... some light lacing...

Aroma - Good citrusy and grassy hops to the fore, sweet biscuity and grainy malts, quite peppery, some marzipan notes, juicy fruits (lemons, grapefruits, pears and light mangoes), floral honey, cut wet grass and hay, faint caramel...

Taste - Good blast of earthy, citrusy and peppery hop bitterness, spicy juicy fruits (grapefruits, sour apples, pears), light biscuity malts, some sweet floral honey, grassy, sweet grains, lightly perfumed, quite herbal, some saltiness, light traces of chalk...

Feel - Quite sharp and dry... Light body... An extremely quaffable and sessionable pilsener...

Overall - An excellent example of a Pilsener - as good as i've had... recommended..

mdagnew, Sep 21, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

I've been off beer for maybe 20 years. I used to get super sleepy if I had it and other side effects (food intolerances). I've just got back from a 2 week holiday in the Black Forest and on our first day there I saw "Tannen Zäpfle" on the drinks list at an Italian restaurant and, in my ignorance, thought it meant apple something-or-other, so decided to ask what it was to order it. The waitress told me it was beer and I immediately thought "Ok, I'll need to try something else", but then thought "Should I give it a go after all this time?" - in the end, I ordered a small one, 30Cl. I suppose you can say I just got lucky with the beer because it was basically awesome. It was a hot day and the beer was so deliciously cold and fresh. It's golden, with streams of bubbles continuously rising from the bottom of the glass for the entire duration of the drink. It turned me right back onto beer in an instant.

During the rest of the two weeks, I spent my time moving from white beers to wheat beers, to dark beers, home brews and other pilsners and, to be honest, I was always chasing the taste and feeling of this Rothaus Pils and the truth is that nothing is as good. Some were really good but just not this good.

Now that I'm back home, I'm visiting my local brew shop and buying beers from all round the world, IPAs, Weissbiers, lagers, exports, local brews, everything and I know I'm still chasing the taste of this beer. Of course, I'm not basing this on one drink alone. During the 2 weeks in Germany I had multiple Rothaus Pils. On tap, from bottles, supermarket six packs, the lot. As I say, I'm now totally back on beer and loving it. Although I can't find anything as yet to compare to this beer, I'm enjoying the attempt to find something.

If you're in the Black Forest, i advise you to fill your boots with this one! :)

Markiboy, Aug 01, 2014

DirkNachbar, Oct 29, 2013

His_Royal_Hoppiness, Nov 15, 2012

Domingo, Wednesday at 10:24 PM
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Nice one, finishes a bit bitter which I like. Very clean look, taste, and smell. Crisp pils that is a beer produced for the people, by the people - Wurzburg Stadt. Can't find it on tap (zum fass) around here, but the local getrankte markt has it all the time.

sim0n17, Nov 08, 2011

dcmchew, Nov 07, 2013

CharlotteElwart, Jun 12, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours a pale straw color into a pilsener glass with a two finger white head. The head recedes fairly quickly and leaves mild lacing.
Pretty label and bottle with gold foil over bottlecap.
S: Yeasty, citrus and biscuity malt aromas.
T: Crisp, grassy, citrus, lemon, peppery, and slight hop bitter dry finish.
M: Light body with very active carbonation. Refreshing and crisp.
O: Delicious and crisp. Glad I picked this up while in Speyer. Would pursue again given the opportunity. A fine German brew.

Paincane, Jan 22, 2012