Rothaus Pils Tannen Zäpfle - Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG

Rothaus Pils Tannen ZäpfleRothaus Pils Tannen Zäpfle

Badische Staatsbrauerei Rothaus AG visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: inebrius on 04-08-2004)
4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

AlexAfonin, Sunday at 07:07 AM

Domingo, Wednesday at 10:24 PM

TaylorLarson, Oct 16, 2014

antott0523, Aug 22, 2014

ChristiBerli, Aug 09, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

I've been off beer for maybe 20 years. I used to get super sleepy if I had it and other side effects (food intolerances). I've just got back from a 2 week holiday in the Black Forest and on our first day there I saw "Tannen Zäpfle" on the drinks list at an Italian restaurant and, in my ignorance, thought it meant apple something-or-other, so decided to ask what it was to order it. The waitress told me it was beer and I immediately thought "Ok, I'll need to try something else", but then thought "Should I give it a go after all this time?" - in the end, I ordered a small one, 30Cl. I suppose you can say I just got lucky with the beer because it was basically awesome. It was a hot day and the beer was so deliciously cold and fresh. It's golden, with streams of bubbles continuously rising from the bottom of the glass for the entire duration of the drink. It turned me right back onto beer in an instant.

During the rest of the two weeks, I spent my time moving from white beers to wheat beers, to dark beers, home brews and other pilsners and, to be honest, I was always chasing the taste and feeling of this Rothaus Pils and the truth is that nothing is as good. Some were really good but just not this good.

Now that I'm back home, I'm visiting my local brew shop and buying beers from all round the world, IPAs, Weissbiers, lagers, exports, local brews, everything and I know I'm still chasing the taste of this beer. Of course, I'm not basing this on one drink alone. During the 2 weeks in Germany I had multiple Rothaus Pils. On tap, from bottles, supermarket six packs, the lot. As I say, I'm now totally back on beer and loving it. Although I can't find anything as yet to compare to this beer, I'm enjoying the attempt to find something.

If you're in the Black Forest, i advise you to fill your boots with this one! :)

Markiboy, Aug 01, 2014

HoppySeb, Apr 10, 2014

innominat, Apr 03, 2014

davemathews68, Mar 18, 2014
3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

When making beers of such low gravity, low body and with the control over so many possible off-flavors, its easy to see why there aren't many great lagers out there. But Rothaus has figured it out!

Its spot-on appearance is bright with light gold color through and through. Its brilliant clarity proudly shows off its graceful carbonation that streams from the bottom of the glass to fuel a light and fluffy white head. Its long-lasting foam structure endures the majority of the session and laces the glass at each sip.

Its delicate aromas are full of floral overtones- glimpses of honeysuckle, flower pedals and perfume waft over a grainy-sweet scent of fresh baking bread and sugar cookie. A late plume of herbal lemongrass, apple and light sulfur hint toward bitter taste head into the first drink.

Its part-grain, part malt sweetness is fresh with bread and cookie and sourdough bread. Its fruity and floral character gives a softer honey-like taste to the early palate. Its light apple and lemon flavor pulls the light esters and the hop delicacies together seamlessly. Its crissp and clean finish is lightly minty and herbal as a lemongrass-type bitterness crispens the taste to perfection.

Its medium-light body sheds its sweetness in the middle in order to allow its zesty carbonation to dry the beer for a snappy bitterness and refreshing mouthfeel to close the session.

Rothaus Tannen Zapfle is the prototypical German Lager with its drier body and more hop-forward demeanor. Where most attempts at this reveal sloppy brewing technique and recipe flaws, this lager comes together beautifully.

BEERchitect, Jan 16, 2014

Saind, Jan 06, 2014

dcmchew, Nov 07, 2013

DirkNachbar, Oct 29, 2013
4.69/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

APPEARANCE: Two finger, fluffy white head with good retention. Clear golden amber yellow with lots of carbonation.

SMELL: A bold pilsner nose with grainy pilsner malt. More malt than most pils.

TASTE: Pilsner malt, caramel and then some floral hops. Bitterness with a great balance of malt.

PALATE: Smooth.

OVERALL: Flavorless pils this is not. I drink this real fresh in Germany as well as others. I have had many pilsners in Germany and this is my favorite. Bitberger is everywhere but I am happy when I find this great bear from the Black Forest.

Ooji, Sep 30, 2013