1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Castle Lager - South African Breweries plc

Castle LagerCastle Lager

poor

South African Breweries plc visit their website
South Africa

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
1.8/5  rDev -27.4%

Hmm - proudly lists the ingredients as barley malt, maize . . . that's corn to us in the U.S., right? Pours a slightly murky golden tan. Light fizzy head that vanished in an instant. Aroma was a vague watery sweetness. Flavor . . . well, even more corn adjunct character would have been an improvement. Watery and slightly sweet with some whispy grain flavors almost beyond the threshold of perception.

2.83/5  rDev +14.1%

I'm noticing in Africa that some of the the people here are shocked to find out I'm buying their local beers, instead of the imports. I tell them I'm trying their beers because I've tried the imports. It's always a good idea to try new things. But they wonder how I can drink this, while I'm Canadian and can drink what they believe better beer. Bit of a culture difference. The other people are loyal to their beer like Bud Light drinkers. Anyways, on to the review. I picked up this beer from a woman selling various items from a shopping cart. It wasn't refigerated when I got it, so I took it to camp and waited a few days for it to cool in a cooler. Castle pops like champagne. Twist the cap off, and you can hear the carbonation escape from yards away. Pours a dirty yellow/brown colour. Plenty of bubbles, but little head. Their were two rings of lace. One ring on top, the other in the middle. Pathetic. Smelled of corn, cereal and yeast. Others said the alcohol smell was strong. I didn't notice it much. Tasted better than I thought. The barley and cereal grain mask whatever amount of corn adjunct was used in the brewing. Sweet, almost pilzner taste without the hop kick. Light body, watery mouthfeel. Considering some of the other offerings here, I'd take this.

2.13/5  rDev -14.1%

I had a good buddy from South Africa and he always told me that he would bring back a case on one of his trips back from South Africa, however I think I will save him the trouble and pass on this one. Appearance: Golden straw thin white head lackluster appearance, lacing is thin. Aroma: Grainy sweetness alcohol and a touch of hops overall I had to really concentrate on finding these characteristics but they are there. Taste: Adjuncts once again corn in my beer, why? Semi wheat graininess nothing flavorful not horrible but c'mon I didn't mind Tusker from Kenya it had some positive traits this one is just lacking. Mouthfeel: Thin body low carbonation what can I say nothing special, another yellow fizzy brew. Drinkability: In my humble opinion, a beer I could live without too many great beers out there, at least in the US.

2.48/5  rDev 0%

Okay--poured out of the can a very light gold with a head that just wasn't. The foam dissapated as quick as I walked from the kitchen to the dining room. Taste was bitter, but otherwise lifeless. Nothing appears for the tastebuds to really note, it simple stays plain and ordinary.

Compared to the Tusker I had recently, I'd say Castle is much better as far as African macros. But boy, that Tusker wasn't much to recommend either.

1.13/5  rDev -54.4%

Oh my... Buckle on your crash helmets space rangers, because here comes a burn! One centralized in the pit of my stomach.

It says on the side of this creamy beige 450 ml can that Castle Lager is, and I cite, "Brewed With The Same Care Since 1895". Now if what they are trying to get at is that back in 'ol 1895 South Africa they brewed this beer with complete and utter reckless abandon, then I know we are on the same page.

It pours out innocently enough, clear pale straw colour, a bit of a head that fizzles out quickly. Then I must nearly renounce the clear part when holding it up to the light and upon further inspection I espy a great deal of suspended floating particles. In my lager. Sea Monkeys! That's exactly what it looks like.

The nose is metallic and industrial, a tad on the diesal side, the faintest cries of some ghostly grainy sweetness been swept asunder by the presence of dusty blacktop pavement. Dusty! And this is a clean glass by golly!

Flavour is of unrefined petroleum byproduct, with that ghost of grainy malt sweetness crying out for help. A hostage situation here, I am beginning to reckon.

Let's face it, this beer is not drinkable at all, and the Sea Monkey genocide that its consumption incurs adds to the bad taste already left in my mouth. Three words for you: destination sink drain. My god, I think I need to shave my tongue. And then gargle with acetone. To quote Kurtz at the end of Heart Of Darkness (set in the Belgian Congo, although close enough for what I'm getting at here), "The horror, the horror!"

2.95/5  rDev +19%

This beer pours a dark yellow color (or a really light amber) with little head and no lacing on the glass. The aroma is hoppy, but there's not much to it. The taste is somewhat dry and not great - but better than a bad beer. I could drink several of these just because they are smooth and easy to drink and the taste is not terrible, but it doesn't have much character and the aftertaste is a little unenjoyable.

2.42/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a very clear gold with a very nice white head. The head dissipated too quickly, but the beer did leave a very nice lace throughout the glass. Taste and mouthfeel are both below average, but not as bad many macro brews. Slight hoppiness, but generally a fairly dry beer. Glad to try a South African beer; nice to know that it can make the trip here without much damage.

1.78/5  rDev -28.2%

If you can't find A-B Bud, this bottle of suds is an able substitute. The pale straw color compliments the weak sweet malt. Cardboard-like aroma. The non-descript hops are barely more noticeable than seltzer. Bland and sweet/dry and flat. "For all you do, this Castle's for you!"

3.85/5  rDev +55.2%

Well, I differ from the crowd on this one, thats for sure.
I was in an out-of-town LCBO and saw some beers I haven't tried as well as a couple I had a long time ago. I decided to give Castle another run at my money. I remembered that I did like it but that was years ago and I was less anal about beer then also.
I cracked the can and was immediately impressed with the nice hoppy smell and no hint of skunkyness despite the long journey this beer took to make it to my fridge.
It poured a golden yellowish colour with little head.
The taste is great, grainy at first with a little sweetness and the right amount of hop bitterness in the finish. I notice in the ingredients maize is listed - not sure what that is except that it is some sort of wheat type staple of a lot of 3rd world countries. I can't say what it does to this beer but whatever it is, they made this beer just right. A nice mouthfeel and all these qualties including the excellent smoothness make it a guzzler to boot. Now I'm pissed that I only bought one of these babies while I had the chance. I can see myself grabbing a case if I can find one in the summer.

2.63/5  rDev +6%

Castle Lager, from South Africa: A very plain, yet easy drinking lager. Trumpets the fact that it has “maize” on the label. Not a bad looking beer, its kind of a ruby gold, with a creamy white head, that leaves at least a little lace down the sides. The aroma is plain, with a slightly soapy smell. The taste ain’t all that bad, not good mind you, but not too bad. Its got a very grainy malt taste, but a crisp clean hops bite, and a clean finish. Fairly highly carbonated, but not bad, although for what I paid for the six, there are cases that are as good.

2.9/5  rDev +16.9%

This is a nice lager, not to be confused with a good lager. Nothing really special here but certainly consumable in quantity.
Very light colour and head disapates quickly to a glass ring of medium proportions. The taste is a mini malt sweetness that does not linger. This brew is acceptable.

Tasted like corn! bloody awful stuff, lots of preservatives in there to make it even worse, down there with the likes of Budweiser and Corona, awful beer.

2.03/5  rDev -18.1%

I guess this would be the Budmilloors of South Africa? Pours with a large white head, clear pale yellow in color. Faint whiffs of maltiness, saltiness. Light body. Some slight maltiness throughout, but not much else. No aftertaste. Not really a whole lot to say about this beer, I guess I'll have to try Tusker and see why Hemingway preferred it to this beer.

« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »