Castle Lager - South African Breweries plc

poor

South African Breweries plc visit their website
South Africa

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
SaunaKing

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +54.6%

Well, I differ from the crowd on this one, thats for sure.
I was in an out-of-town LCBO and saw some beers I haven't tried as well as a couple I had a long time ago. I decided to give Castle another run at my money. I remembered that I did like it but that was years ago and I was less anal about beer then also.
I cracked the can and was immediately impressed with the nice hoppy smell and no hint of skunkyness despite the long journey this beer took to make it to my fridge.
It poured a golden yellowish colour with little head.
The taste is great, grainy at first with a little sweetness and the right amount of hop bitterness in the finish. I notice in the ingredients maize is listed - not sure what that is except that it is some sort of wheat type staple of a lot of 3rd world countries. I can't say what it does to this beer but whatever it is, they made this beer just right. A nice mouthfeel and all these qualties including the excellent smoothness make it a guzzler to boot. Now I'm pissed that I only bought one of these babies while I had the chance. I can see myself grabbing a case if I can find one in the summer.

03-09-2003 12:26:15 | More by SaunaKing
jackndan

2.63/5  rDev +5.6%

Castle Lager, from South Africa: A very plain, yet easy drinking lager. Trumpets the fact that it has “maize” on the label. Not a bad looking beer, its kind of a ruby gold, with a creamy white head, that leaves at least a little lace down the sides. The aroma is plain, with a slightly soapy smell. The taste ain’t all that bad, not good mind you, but not too bad. Its got a very grainy malt taste, but a crisp clean hops bite, and a clean finish. Fairly highly carbonated, but not bad, although for what I paid for the six, there are cases that are as good.

11-30-2002 20:12:17 | More by jackndan
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev +16.5%

This is a nice lager, not to be confused with a good lager. Nothing really special here but certainly consumable in quantity.
Very light colour and head disapates quickly to a glass ring of medium proportions. The taste is a mini malt sweetness that does not linger. This brew is acceptable.

11-20-2002 20:31:54 | More by Shiloh
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

Tasted like corn! bloody awful stuff, lots of preservatives in there to make it even worse, down there with the likes of Budweiser and Corona, awful beer.

05-13-2002 16:31:00 | More by rastaman
htomsirveaux

2.03/5  rDev -18.5%

I guess this would be the Budmilloors of South Africa? Pours with a large white head, clear pale yellow in color. Faint whiffs of maltiness, saltiness. Light body. Some slight maltiness throughout, but not much else. No aftertaste. Not really a whole lot to say about this beer, I guess I'll have to try Tusker and see why Hemingway preferred it to this beer.

04-19-2002 08:36:24 | More by htomsirveaux