Rebellion Stout - Summit Brewing Company

Rebellion StoutRebellion Stout

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.50% ABV

From the limited-release Summit Union Series, we’re proud to offer Rebellion Stout. Single-hopped with a new UK dwarf hop named after a Celtic queen who led the fight against the Romans. Brewed with the quintessential Stout malt from fiercely independent County Cork, Ireland. Loosely based on a recipe from 1896 taken from the archives of an old Cork brewery.

(Beer added by: Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky on 11-21-2013)

1.88/5  rDev -52.8%

I guess I don't get this one...gonna have to try it again, I LOVE summit! Even their last union series "session Meridian Belgian pale" I thought was really good, but this is the perfect example of why I don't usually buy a whole 6er of a new beer I haven't tried, even when by one of my fav breweries. From the reviews I DEFINATELY need to try this one again but I am not agreeing one bit with any of the awesome sounding reviews on this beer thus far.

A: best thing about this beer, very oily black in appearance with a nice 1 inch khaki head.
S: im not getting much of the hops that I was expecting for a 70 i.b.u. stout... I don't get any of the normal roasted malt aromas or chocolate or coffee aromas that are typical of normal stouts, especially one with this high a.b.v.
T: same as the aroma....very, very disappointing no hops, no roast malt, no coffe or chocolate, really nothing to speak of as far as flavors go, all I taste is carbonation which seems pretty high for a stout, on the good side the 8.5% is completely masked, but at least some booziness would give this beer some flavor.
M: some oily slickness which is a tad redeeming but too carbonated I'd say medium high to high low.
O.A.: hands down the worst and most disappointing summit beer I have ever had. its funny that everyone else who reviewed this beer wished they had more, I on the other hand don't have any idea what I'm going to do with my other 5...

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black body. Nice dark khaki head. Excellent lacing.

Smell - Roasted malt. Some milk chocolate.

Taste - Dark roasted malt. Coffee. Deep caramel. Some nuttiness. Lingering milk chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, maybe a bit light for a "big" stout. Creamy. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Quite drinkable because of its body. Flavors are pretty good if unremarkable.

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Black, big head.

Smell: I thought it was a little light on aroma, I could pick up a mild chocolate creaminess.

Taste: Dark chocolate throughout. From start to finish, it is mildly bitter dark chocolate, not much sweetness. Somewhat dry.

Feel: Light feel, lighter than expected for a stronger stout.

Overall: I had pretty high expectations for this one from Summit, as their Oatmeal Stout is excellent. I thought the Rebellion Stout was a little "one note" but still a high quality beer. A little more fruit or sweetness, or fuller body could have pushed this up in my opinion. Worth a try.

Rebellion Stout from Summit Brewing Company