Follow our progress ...

Horizon Red IPAHorizon Red IPA

Summit Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Change from Horizon Red Ale. Addition of Mosaic hops and IBU levels. Changes in malts to make it an IPA.

Added by morimech on 02-04-2014

Reviews: 22 | Ratings: 197
Reviews by MattyG85:
4.11/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tall Summit pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brownish amber red with a lot of bubbles. Solid two fingers of off white head with decent retention. Leaves a lot of creamy lacing.

Smell: An earthy and juicy balanced aroma with hints of citrus and piney hops and sweet caramel. Citrus hops with hints of grapefruit, orange, lemon, pineapple, and tangerine. Earthy and floral hops with hints of pine resin and grass. Solid malt presence with hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, yeast, and cracker. A pretty solid red aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a juicy and earthy hopped up Red taste with notes of citrus, pine, and caramel. Upfront citrus hops with notes of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest, tangerine, and pineapple. Floral and earthy hop presence with notes of pine resin and grass. Good malt backing with notes of caramel, toffee, cracker, biscuit, and yeast. A pretty nice taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Juicy, crisp, smooth, and fairly drying.

Overall: A pretty solid hopped up Red Ale. Considerably more hop punch than the previous version of this Red but still has a solid caramel malt balance.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Enjoy by: 3/6/16. Reviewed on 11/28/15.

LOOKS: Poured aggressively into a Nonic pint glass. Not crystal clear, might be the chill haze, though. Two fingers of tan head that fades fairly slowly and leaves a nice lacing all the way down the glass. Very dark amber in appearance, almost to a ruby. Very tiny bubbles.

AROMA: This is one I could smell right when I cracked it open. Very piney and dank. A mild onion quality. And some sweetness in the background.

TASTE: Got to admit, I had this about a year 1/2 ago and didn't care for it. The palate really does change because I think it's delicious this time around. Dank, pine, and grapefruit notes. The onion is more in the aroma. Bitterness is in the back end and seems quite mild to me now. For the real newbies this might be plenty of bitterness and a little too dank. Depends on your tastes.

MOUTHFEEL: Nice medium to full carbonation that really brings out the flavor. It's on the dry side on the very back end. I'd say in the medium body range.
Overall the aroma really jumps out. The taste is great too, but a little more subdued than the blast of dankness that jumps out of the glass at you. Very nice IPA though. Underrated IMO.

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A nice dark amber pour with a finger of thick head that settles down but sticks around. Nice aroma of malt and hops. I'd say it's barely in the IPA class but very light on the "IP" and more on the "A" given the 'red' In the name is truen to form. That said, very drinkable and a nicely made beer from the gang down the road. A solid choice with our enchilada soup for dinner tonight.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

My original "Horizon Red Ale" review is below. My understanding is that the "Horizon Red IPA" is just a slight tweak. After having the newer version, it seems that the hops are different. Well, I know they are different as there is no way Mosaic was used in 2009, but maybe my tastes have changed as well. The main difference I note are more grapefruit, tropical and blueberry notes, and less of what I described as ash all those years ago. Regardless, both versions are tasty.

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Clear reddish-brown with thin head, some lacing on glass.

Smell: Citrus and ash, slight pine and malt.

Taste: Expected malts for a Red Ale upfront, but quickly overtaken by bitterness. Bitter aftertaste as well. The hop flavor is somewhat of a surprise, as it reminds me of ash. I detected that in the smell, but didn't expect to taste it. Never would have thought I would like an ash taste, but I do. Maybe this is from the Horizon hops, which I know very little about.

Feel: Lighter than I expected, but considering the low carbonation and smooth body, it all works. Almost reminds me of a Bitter in terms of feel.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking ale, I would choose this over the ESB, EPA or IPA. Still prefer the Porter as my favorite year-round bottled beer by Summit.

I am discouraged by some of the mixed comments and reviews for this. I think people became way too hyped up based on some early ignorant Furious comparisons. Hopefully, in time, the overall opinion will turn more positive.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.01/5  rDev +5.5%

3.82/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%

Smells great, goes down smooth, and not too hoppy, but definitely enough to taste. The smell hit me as I started to take it down, and that just enhances the taste. But while I did enjoy this beer, it wasn't anything amazing. Definitely recommended if you can get your hands on some.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Horizon Red IPA from Summit Brewing Company