Unchained #16: Herkulean Woods - Summit Brewing Company

Unchained #16: Herkulean WoodsUnchained #16: Herkulean Woods

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

California Common / Steam Beer |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ryancl on 09-02-2014)
3.64/5  rDev -5.5%

3.52/5  rDev -8.6%

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Enjoy by 3/4/15.

Appearance: Really nice honey brown color with great clarity. Poured a fluffy two finger off-white head that has subsided leaving a lot of thick lacing.

Aroma: Grain, caramel, straw.

Taste: Lots of earthy/spicy hop flavor with a bitterness that really sneaks up on you. I have a feeling the spruce tips are getting confused with the hops on my palate because the hop character is very pine tree-esque. The base malt flavor is basically dark caramel but is quite overshadowed by the hops. There is an odd balance to it due to a sweet flavor riding high above the hops, perhaps the maple syrup addition. I'm shocked to see this is 8.2% ABV! I thought for sure it was in the 5-6 range considering I've rarely seen a Summit beer over 7% ABV. Either way, well hidden alcohol and a nice job by brewer Christian Dixon.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body if not a bit higher. Somewhat aggressive carbonation that in part tricked me into thinking this was a lighter beer. Good drinkability.

Final Thoughts: I had this fresh over a month ago and it was even tastier. Usually I wouldn't suggest springing for a sixer but with the high ABV and Summit's low prices (locally) it is a steal. Would I drink it again? Yes.

3.84/5  rDev -0.3%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

From a bottle into an imperial pint glass
A: Crystal clear amber, nice head that subsides into a tight 1/2 finger crown
S: Faint doughy sweetness, and a little something more also sweet...hard to put my finger on it.
T: Different in a fairly good way. Sweetness (caramel and maybe some faint maple syrup), then earthy dirty hops, lager yeast, and something with a different kind of bitterness (the advertised spruce, perhaps) at the end.
M: pretty thick for a lager; medium carbonation.

Overall: Can't say I'll put this ahead of many other possibilities...but it is interesting, and I'll give some credit for that.

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

URG. I hit the review button above, and not the one below so now my review is missing. As I recall, I bought two bottles of this for $1.89 at Siciliano's.
Brewed with Harrington, Lacey, Caramel malts, Maple syrup and spruce tips. Hopped with Herkules, Northern Brewer, Exp. 05256 [Description form Yakima Valley Hops: Black currant, dark fruit, strong herbal notes, pine tree, mint, pungent, light grapefruit rind, “Simcoe-like,” “Summit-like,” citrus, tangerine.] Kettle additions:
OG: 18º Plato, IBU: 65, ABV: 8.2%

Pours out to a clear medium amber forming a tall creamy whipped yellow head with beautiful retention and lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate, ~2.25 or so. The aroma is brisk with piney, resinous, grapefruity hops. The mouthfeel is smooth, with a medium dense body. The taste is a very well balanced concoction of chewy crystal and pale malts balanced with a large hop flavor and aroma. The maple and spruce tips are really non-existent, overshadowed by the hops. I've had fresh balsam beer and it's fantastic, and this doesn't compare. Bitterness is medium-firm. No perceptible off flavors or aromas.
L=4.0, A=4.25, T=4.25, MF=4.25, D=4.25

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A cascading bubble show produces a magnificent head that sits on top of the copper colored liquid; very impressive lacing and retention

Smell: It's a bit early but this smells like the Christmas tree that will be in our living room in 30 days

Taste: As much as I enjoy the smell, I can't say I love the taste; starts with caramel and maple flavors that build their sweetness until the spruce tips take over, in the mid-palate; the clash between the bitterness from the spruce and the sweetness continues through the finish; there is a lot of alcohol in this, too, and the aftertaste is reminiscent of Gin

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A interesting experiment with the California Common style, but I find the beer quite unbalanced and difficult to enjoy

Thanks, DaftPatrick, for the opportunity

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L-Burnt orange...light creamy head

S-Toasted malts, piney hop aroma....earthy feel to this..

T-Pine, unsweetened grapefruit hops lead the way...an earthy/toasted malt complements the hops. Overall this is a little above average but just doesn't impress me as I hoped it would. Just doesn't mesh well.

F-Finishes very dry...body is medium

O-Not one of my favorite unchained offerings. The writeup sounded great but nothing I would seek out again.

Unchained #16: Herkulean Woods from Summit Brewing Company