Summit Extra Pale Ale - Summit Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: ADR on 08-31-2001

Ratings: 1,138 | Reviews: 448

This is my drinking beer, always a case on hand, so good on hot days. I love the hoppy aftertaste. I like other pale ales but this is just so good all the time, wether from tap or bottle. mmm. You can drink it at any temp, but best real cold. I need to get some more.

This is my hands down favorite beer. I buy more of this amber ambrosia than any other beer. The aroma and familiar taste keeps me warm during the winter and cool during the summer. It is like my security blanket. I love the hop and malt balance... it makes my head spin... or is that the alcohol... If you like a pale ale that is drinkable and not trying to out-hop the next brew, then you will probably enjoy this great Minnesotan ale.

My all time favorite! I am very biased on this one so I won't give an in depth review but I highly recommend everyone try this beer.

In fairness, this was the first craft brew I ever had and it is brewed in my hometown.

That being said, I love how balanced, full and floral this beer is. Not a hop bomb by today's standards but really delicious and complete.

4.7/5  rDev +27%

Long time drinker 1st time reviewer

A= beautiful dark amber color with a small head and great lacing
S= hoppy and citusy, very basic smell but a very good smell
T= great hops, some citrus flavor, slight malts at first. Very good
M= great! One of the best mouthfeels I've ever had its just the perfect balance of smoothness and a little bite
D= great. This beer is very very basic but very good. Its a locally brewed beer and its just so average its perfect for just about anything. If u expect fancyness you will be disapointed but if you expect a good easy beer this is great. Great go to beer and amazing session beer

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great hoppy taste, a favorite.

4.62/5  rDev +24.9%

Absolutely the grapefruity-chewy ale of choice for me, frankly clobbers Sierra Nevada in my book...nice aroma and a clear medium amber color. I'm currently living in Minnesota but I wasn't looking for a beer this good when I moved here. A really distinct example of an American Pale...hoppy, to be sure, but with a good deal of nutty malts, superior fruitiness, and a complexity all the way to the aftertaste...a very refreshing beer on tap, but with enough guts to last through Fall...

4.6/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is my "always have it in the fridge" beer, the one I "come home" to after trying new brews. Near-perfect in all categories, the only knock against it is that it needs to be pretty fresh. The perfect hop bitterness acquires a slight skunky taste if it's been stored at room temperature for more than a month or two. Since I live in the Mpls/St. Paul area, it is not a problem for me to get the fresh stuff. Beer drinkers in other areas might want to pay attention to the freshness dates.

Good straight from the bottle, but even better from a glass, and best (of course) from the tap.

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint weizen glass.

This beer pours a deep golden amber color, with a nice layer of head. The lacing is phenominal, I could see each drink I took all the way down to the last gulp. Retention is decent depending on how fast its consumed.

It smells like a pale ale, with an emphasis on the hops.

The taste is very hoppy, with a nice bitter aftertaste that does not linger very long.

This is definitely one of my favorite beers, and probably one of the best EPA's I'll ever have.

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%

Pours a gold/copper with a very thick small head, stays throughout. A very pleasant "bubblegum" smell, somewhat fruity. The initial taste is sweet hops, and a bit dry. Mouthfeel is also dry, hoppy and a bit grainy, but this is a great pale ale, and very drinkable, anytime.

Notes. Rare for me to issue 2 fives, but the smell is just awesome and the drinkability is right on target, this suits me fine. I'm tryin' not to base my judgement on just visiting the Summit Brewery either!

4.51/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I'm likely bias since I am from the twin cities. This is a pretty solid English pale ale. I feel like the style is done well with a subtle earthyness to it. This is not a smack you in the face with hops brew.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

this is the beer that started my expedition into the unexplored. pours out a beautiful dark amber, and a dense head which sticks as rings as you gulp it down. nice cascade hop aroma, moderate body and the taste is a perfect balance of caramel malt and hops. a bit of spicy hop to provide a clean and crisp finish. absolutely delicious. i've had sierra nevada pale ale and this is better. more body and hop depth. i may be biased but i'm not stupid. my ultimate fall-back brew. please note 5.1%abv.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

This is, without a doubt, my favorite beer when I purchase beer by the bottle. The flavor is rich and hoppy, it has an attractive color and pleasant smell, it feels light in the mouth and finishes crisp. There's very little aftertaste besides the hops. This is one that I make sure to keep in my fridge, except for when I've got homebrew. Also, if I get my EPA to taste like Summit, I consider it a great success.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Bright amber/copper body. Fluffy white head which settles into thin top coat. Leaves good lace behind. Very hoppy, very citric aroma. Hoppy taste, but good malt support. Hoppy aftertaste as well, but not overdone. An excellent Pale Ale, definitely in a class with Sierra Nevada. If this beer is as popular in Minnesota as I've heard, it speaks well for the taste of the state.

4.48/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours light caramel with a 2 fingers+ offwhite head. Very good lacing & good head retention

Smell: Piney hops & fruitiness

Taste: Nice up front bitterness followed by big fruttyness & malt. Finishes bitter & satisfying

MF: Great balance & carbonation, good heft to it

Really sessionable ale IMHO. Pretty impressed I must say

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Bright golden orange with a big white head that has a tint of tan. Great retention and lacing.

Smell: A nice blend of pale malt sweetness and floral hops with a bready biscuit scent.

Taste: Floral hop bitterness up front followed by sweet malt and bread. Bitterness is noticeable but mild.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and carbonated. Very smooth.

Overall: A tasty and very easy drinking pale ale. A classic here in Minnesota.

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%

Like a couple other Twin Cities BAs this is my trusty session beer. Summit is a well made, interesting and easy drinking ale. It pours a nice copper with a think head which dissapates into a nice lacing. The smell isn't overpowering but pleasant with citrusy hops and bit of malt. The taste isn't overly complex but very well balanced. The hops have a bit of grapefuit flavor to start and linger with a hint of flowery finish that seems to rest on the ample malt base. The beer is extremely drinkable and refreshing and I enjoy the flavor throughout this beer (or two or three). This may not impress hopheads who expect an ale to smack them in the mouth, but anyone who is looking for a well crafted, balanced, quaffable brew should check this one out.

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

An extremely tasty beer.

What I like about it is that it has huge hops but also has enough malt for it to be balanced.

Dark-amber coppery brown clear brew with a nice head. Great aroma with hoppy and toasty notes.

The flavor is rich and satisfying, a perfect pairing of just the right amount of hops with some maple & malt notes. This reminds me of maybe a darker Celis Pale Bock or maybe a hoppy Paulaner Salvator.

I just noticed that this beer is listed as an APA and not an IPA. That does seem to be a better fit for it. (I was thinking "extra Pale" = IPA)

OK, now that we have the style straight, this is the best d*** pale ale of my recollection. I highly recommend it.

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The numbers say it well, I like this Summit. The Extra Pale pours a good looking amber-copper. A rich thick chewy look as a slight haze appears with it. The head is pillow like, solid and retains well. Lace is great all glass long as a white web follows the brew of liquid. The aroma is citric, sweet and of a slight hop. The taste is a well balanced mix of sweet malt and citric hop. The mouth is left crisp as a slight hop lingers on awhile. The drinkability, oh ya! A good mix that goes well with itself and a meal. Its malts are sweet enough and its hops are crisp, clean and provide a good blend of tastes.

4.36/5  rDev +17.8%

A favorite since I arrived in the Twin Cities. A solid pale ale, more in the British style than American. Pours an amber color, with a white head with good lacing. Well balanced malts with hop bitterness on the initial taste, and throughout. English hops (to my taste anyway) without the overbearing citrus or pine of American hops.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours with a nice tan head that retains and laces a bit. Smell is definitely of wheat and of flower tones. Nice aromas. Taste is strongly of wheat which is enjoyable. Really enjoying this beer. The mouthfeel is not too carbonated but works well with the entirety of the beer. Overall, if you like anything of wheat and ales, give it a try.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

A: bright golden orange, slight haze, nice white head and lacing.
S: subtle citrus and some vague light fruits along with honeyed doughy malts. doesn't jump out, but what's there is nice.
T: lighly sweet bready malts are very well balanced by a smooth hop bitterness. finish is crisp and somewhat clean.
M: nicely carbonated, frothy, just over light-bodied.
D: a pleasant surprise, especially at about $3 less per sixer than most other craft brews.

4.33/5  rDev +17%

Amber/copper colour with a thin white head. The aroma is full citrussy hops and somewhat faint malty. The flavor is strong american hops with a nice crisp clean bite to them and a bit maltyness in the background. The finish is bitter, but in a very pleasent way.

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%

Burnt orange rust color. Pure white head, that is very big at first, and lingers for most of the beer. Taste is a little muted at first, bu sitck around and is very tasty when swallowed. Not one of the stronger showings in the sampler, but still worth tasting.

Update 7-10-2004 I was vastly mistaken in my first review of the EPA. Since I developed a love of hops I must include this on the short list of my favorite PA's. Very tasty, I feel guitly for the weak review I initially gave it.

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been away from beer for a while, trying bourbon and scotch, but really not drinking that much. I've missed it. Today I return to beer with a familiar pale ale I've enjoyed before but never reviewed.

This 12oz. bottle (best by September 6th) pours copper with a 1.5 finger off-white head. The head diminishes into a thick ring around the surface of the beer, with a small amount of lacing on the glass. The smell is piney and floral hops, with slightly malty edges. I also detect a touch of salt.

The taste is similar to the smell and it's delicious: pine and floral hops, but with a solid malt backbone that's a little biscuit and a little caramel. The malt comes through more as it warms but never overpowers; the beer stays balanced to the end. The mouthfeel tells me instantly that it's a Summit beer; all of their products have that same extraordinarily smooth mouthfeel that's got exactly the right carbonation.

This is an easy to drink pale ale that's not quite a classic like SNPA, but it goes well with a variety of food and is great on its own. I think this was a good choice for coming back to beer; it's not the end-all-be-all of ales, or even of pale ales, but it reminds one why beer is such a great thing.

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%

A - Poured a hazy copper color with about a half finger of head that quickly died down to a lacing.

S - A slight sweet malt aroma followed by a powerful dose of hops that is above most pale ales but slightly below most IPAs. Quite enjoyable and fresh smelling.

T - Malty backbone with a spicy hop bite that continues towards the aftertaste. Far hoppier than most English Pale's I've had. I would call this closer to an APA. Very enjoyable however.

M/D - Mouthfeel is about dead on for a good session beer, and this is about as much of an easy drinker as you can get.

Summit Extra Pale Ale from Summit Brewing Company