Summit Extra Pale Ale - Summit Brewing Company

good

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: ADR on 08-31-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

jucifer1818

11-30-2012 04:07:20 | More by jucifer1818
mattcrill

2.08/5  rDev -43.8%

Aroma: Biscuity and a touch fruity. Some musty wet hops as it warms but that's stretching it a bit.

Appearance: Clear orange with a sudsy white cap. Good looking brew.

Flavor: Wait, I missed it...a little biscuity, a little vegetal, touched with some seltzer water. Finishes with a bit of a saltine flavor. Just a touch of hops but my tongue has to fish around for it.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and thin.

Overall impression: This one is lost on me. I don't see anything "extra" about it. I think I'd look for other APA's. There are too many good ones out there to re-visit this one.

11-25-2006 21:09:13 | More by mattcrill
Prostman81

2.1/5  rDev -43.2%

Beer pours a very clear, copper color with reddish tint. Virtually no head developed after a medium strong pour. No hop aroma at all, and really not much malt aroma either. Definitely lacking in the nose department. Not a whole lot of carbonation to this. Taste is very thin and watery, with a slight metallic taste. Again, no hops to speak of nor malt flavors. All in all, a very boring, bland beer. If I hadn't known better, I'd have assumed someone added food coloring to a bud light. My first try of a Summit product has me leery of trying anything further from them. Avoid this one and try something else.

08-06-2010 16:39:41 | More by Prostman81
Paulny

2.15/5  rDev -41.9%

Not to diss my beer-breathed brethen, but I just don't get how anyone really into great ales can give this bland boring quotidian flavor-light barley pop anything near an "A" other than newbies that haven't yet delved into the beautifully balanced hoppy/toasted malt nirvana of a truly great pale ale or IPA.

And yet 'twas a time I used to really love this Summit offering as well, way back in the early years of Summit Brewing when they were a much smaller shop. The flowery citrus hops were much more prominent then, a delight to the senses and an early introduction to the wonders of a hopped up ale. Since those long bygone days of yore Summit has dumbed down the recipe of their flagship Extra Pale Ale several times to now present a weak, watered down highly commerical version of a beer not much different than any other high volume, high profit-margin Bud or Miller or Coors.

The once alluring piney/citrus nose is now long gone, there is next to nothing to smell at all without REALLY trying, any tiny essence of hop aroma evaporating by the time the bottle cap hits the floor.

Yes, there is some malt in the gulp, but leaning much more closely to a European lager - with notes of sour yeast and undercooked barley - than anything within reality of a fine full flavoured "extra" pale ale.

There are so many much much better pale ales now on the market I pass on it even if Summit is the only ale on a restaurant menu and ask for ice water instead.

08-31-2010 22:02:16 | More by Paulny
tut2528

2.2/5  rDev -40.5%

My uncle told me that he picked this up as "make your own six pack"... Excellent thought, but I find that these are dreadfully old and well past their prime.... lets see how it this one is

A: pours a light orange-brown, with minimal head formation. spotted lacing is observed. when held up to the light it becomes very transparent

S: huge biscuit notes, malt, hops, walnut and slight spices. I strongly feel that this one is too old to be appreciated.

T: hops, grains, slight malt, water. no balance whatsoever.

M: very light, flat, leaves a hoppy dryness on the palate. no carbonation whatsoever.

O: I can only assume that this brew is not exactly meant to be consumed at this time. Its so damn flat. I tried to be as generous as I could with my review.

01-06-2013 21:48:26 | More by tut2528
northaustin

2.2/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

i fail to see anything "extra" about this beer. and its deceitful name will cost it some.

pours a clear golden with alot of uneven quickly disappearing white head. spotted lacing.

smell is pretty ricey and wheaty. no hops.

taste is also ricey and wheaty. there is however a small presence of earthy hops.

mouthfeel: very dry in the cheeks, but very watery everywhere else.

drinkability: no comment.

2.25/5  rDev -39.2%

06-30-2013 23:34:00 | More by leahnruss
JoeBCBC

2.28/5  rDev -38.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark orange color. Poured down the middle and still barely any head. Dissipated quickly leaving a slight film of bubbles on top.

S- Smell of pale malt and some hops. Not too impressed with this one. Barely there.

T- Tasted dry with slight bitterness. Not much complexity. The malt taste was lacking which made the hop flavor too puckering.

M- A little under carbonated. Good aside from that though.

O- Didn't do anything for me. Just my taste I guess. Won't be buying this again.

07-21-2011 02:07:48 | More by JoeBCBC
BeerBelcher

2.45/5  rDev -33.8%

I've had this a few times...my understanding is that it is Summit's largest volume beer, but the Extra Pale is my least favorite Summit product (I think their Maibock is great).

This beer pours a dark amber/orange color typical of a lot of APAs. The beer is clear, but has a certain dullness to it and an adequate amount of head.

The smell is of sweet hop esters, and is quite pleasant. I didn't pick up a lot of citrus or pine notes.

The taste is a bit of a letdown. The beer is slightly bitter (that's good), but there's a maltiness or an earthiness that just doesn't seem like it belongs there...I know that malt taste is there for balance, but I feel this beer would be better with it toned down.

My mouth seems to interact with the beer in the back of my throat, instead of the roof of my mouth where other APA's seem to "stick." Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery.

In terms of drinkability, the beer is light enough to drink several of, but I didn't really want another.

12-13-2006 13:58:16 | More by BeerBelcher
cokes

Wisconsin

2.48/5  rDev -33%

Attractive deep golden brew, bordering on amber. Sizeable off-white head settles to a substancial film with solid lacing.
Funky aroma of herbal/floral hops and lots of musty yeast. Nasty.
Taste is in the hop direction, with a good amounts of slightly spicy, grassy hues. The grassiness really jumps out and throws this one off. Biscuit maltiness lingers in the background, but never asserts itself. Lingering grassy hop aftertaste. Quite bitter.
Moderately thin in the mouth. Ok, but far from dazzling.
This is not awful, but I couldn't drink more than one or two. That should certainly not be the case for a pale ale.

Funny...I actually remember thinking fairly highly of this. But it has been awhile, something must have changed, either in my palette or this beer..or both.

09-07-2002 23:18:21 | More by cokes

Chunkysedated

11-08-2013 22:24:42 | More by Chunkysedated
ktrillionaire

2.58/5  rDev -30.3%

This beer is not very good. I've had it a number of times, never by choice. Tonight, my Dad bought it for some inexplicable reason.

It looks okay, promising even; it has a rich hue and nice lacing.

It smells a tad overdone in the caramel department, but not too bad.

When you drink it, you are confronted with a tremendously bland beer with no distinct flavor at all, just a vagueness that tends towards unpalatability.

It has a nice and creamy mouthfeel, like a Boddington's or Tetley's, it just doesn't taste that good.

Avoid this. Unless there is no PBR, Yuengling, High Life, or Old Milwaukee around, then maybe. I would take this over Miller Lite or Bud, but perhaps not Busch.

01-08-2010 06:48:32 | More by ktrillionaire
kels

2.6/5  rDev -29.7%

Grabbed one on tap at Fries Cafe the other evening.

Appearance: Pours a light tawny, very clear, with light carbonation and little head nor lacing. A white skim hangs on for dear life.

Smell: Hardly detectable smell at all. I get the tiniest bit of sweet, toasty malt. That's it.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Nor really much to say - doesn't taste bad, just doesn't taste like much at all. Very light, toasted malt, no hops, really just a lot of fizzy, slightly malted water. Feel is slightly creamy, wet.

Drinkability: Boo. It's easy to drink, but I don't know why anyone would choose this over so many other good beers out there in the style.

06-23-2009 20:23:28 | More by kels
jackndan

2.65/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Disappointed with this beer: looks great, smells good, and tastes lame. I was expecting a hopped up American style IPA, what I got was a hopped Coors red. Very under whelming flavor from this beer, the only remarkable thing there was a slight hop flavor in the aftertaste. I did not feel like hunting for taste, and therefore I can’t give this a thumbs up.

11-08-2002 20:27:04 | More by jackndan
jar2574

Missouri

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Amber coloured. Nothing special here, not a lot of carbonation.

Smells of hops. Fruity, citrus smell as well.

Typical pale ale taste, except slightly watered down. Decent bitterness. The hops definately outweigh the malt. I don't mind the imbalance, but I'm not liking the watery feel.

Not a great beer, overall. I didn't dislike it per se, but I won't buy it again because there are much better pale ales out there.

05-08-2007 02:01:25 | More by jar2574