Summit Oktoberfest Marzen - Summit Brewing Company

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  7.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Summit Oktoberfest glows a nice orange tinged amber gold with a nice foamy white head that leaves a fare amount of lacing too.

The aroma has nice bready malts and a slightly spicy hop character.

Toasted German malts dominate the flavor, sweet but not too sweet with a fair dose of caramel/butterscotch mixed in as well as a bit of fruity esters. Alcohol is noted more than the style warrants but makes a nice warming blend with the toffee like malts while the finish dries up things and also ends pleasantly bitter. Spicy/earthy style hops round out the flavors nicely.

Mouthfeel is firmly medium, smooth and just a touch creamy.

Summit brews a very good beer as their interpretation of the Oktoberfest/Marzen style though I do feel it strays just a bit. I do recommend this beer!

I picked up a 6 of these because they were on sale (I guess they wanted to get rid of them before they expire). I'm not a big Oktoberfest lover of any brand, but really enjoyed this one.

Appearance: Reddish Bronze with a little head

Smell: Very light sweet, caramel scent

Taste: Similar to the smell, but very strong and sweet. I honesty think it tastes similar to caramel corn.

Mouthfeel: Not as heavy as I expected...almost a little flat.

Drinkability: Easy to drink a two but I think the sweetness of it would prohibit drinking more than two in one sitting.

4.39/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

After trying a few of the summit brews I can say that I really enjoy their creations.

This is probably one of my favorite Oktoberfest beers so far (I have a ways to go on trying them all). The color is nice, but a but a bit lighter than I expected, and the scent is sweet, which definitely catches my attention.

The flavor is nice and sweet as well, with a nice hop kick that makes this all the better.

Another Summit beer to give a thumbs up.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

2.79/5  rDev -22.9%

From the bottle to a pint glass

Appearance: Clear, copper, orange color w/ minimal head.

Smell: A little sulfurous. Otherwise not very hoppy, bland overall.

Taste: Full tasting malts. A little bitterness. Alcohol is hidden nicely in the malts. Moderately sweet. A clean tasting brew.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied O-fest. Creamy and rich. NIce carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm not a huge O-fest fan, but I do enjoy a few during the fall months. This one is average when compared to the others I've had. Its a reasonable choice however when you are in the mood for a Marzen style beer.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

From Sept. 7, 2009: It's that time of year again, when the weather cools, football kicks off, and the 'fest fest is on. Now that we're getting beers from our northern counterparts, it's time to give them a try.

Pretty characteristic in color and head, showing an orange-gold, with a decent creamy white 1/4 inch of head after an aggressive pour. Chunks of rings throughout the course.

For an o-fest, this seems to have a bit more hops on the nose than traditional malts, but is otherwise pretty non-distinct.

Somewhat non-descript in taste as well - it remains as a kinda hoppy, kinda malty, but always subtley reminiscent of better Marzens I've had in the past. Ends with a nice roasted maltiness.

Decent in the mouth, with nice carbonation and lends to an easy drink.

Enjoyable, but far from anything unique or worth a repeat here.

From Nov. 26, 2011:
Two years later, I inadvertantly bought the same beer, something I try to avoid. Seems then this one is pretty unmemorable.

Good rings on the way down, leaving fluffy bits of head each half inch.

My assessment of high hops was accurate - they're floral with a hint of spiciness to close. The malts are what's dominant though, providing a robust roasted base.

Better than I remember, though I wouldn't give it a higher grade - decent for the style, as the balance is better than many.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%