Summit Oktoberfest Marzen - Summit Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Formerly 7.4% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001)
mashedpotatoes

Beer pours a nice creamy orange-like hue. Head is also creamy and pillowy and stays to visit for a while. The smell is robust, carmelly and bready. Not too complex but perfectly balanced. Mouthfeel is darn near perfect, I could probably sit down and cozy up with this for a good long while. Highly recommended!

09-15-2008 00:00:50 | More by mashedpotatoes
Oxymoron

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Tis the season. Pours a lighter orange hue with a semi-hazy appearance. A good pour leaves a soft white head. Ok retention but did fade to the edge of the glass and eventually fade altogether. Decent lacing.

The nose is limited overall. Some generic malt notes, with a feint biscuit/bready and caramel notes. Some minor yeast notes, with more of a Belgian estery aroma. Some earthy hop notes that leaves a spice smell in the finish. Nothing really distinctive to say it's an O-fest.

The taste is similar but the malt comes out more. To start the mal has a sweeter caramel flavor with some sugar undertones. Some stronger bready notes with a feint toasty flavor. No real Vienna or Munich flavors. The yeast in cleaner than what the nose indicated but no really German influence. Some light rose esters but soft. A minor earthy, spicy finish. Looking for more of a Munich/Vienna combo and more German taste.

The body is moderate with a sweet finish. Carbonation is light but ok for style. Overall, this is just a generic lager with some good caramel notes. But for an O-fest it is really missing some the specific flavors that I'm looking for.

09-08-2008 17:25:24 | More by Oxymoron
nrbw23

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

A- Pours a medium amber color with a nice foamy off white head with spotty lacing.

S- Nice bready malts, sweet caramel and a touch of hops.

T- Heavy on the malts especially caramel and bready. Finishes rather sweet.

M- Medium body. Feels right on.

D- Easy to drink and a good example of the style.

09-03-2008 00:22:27 | More by nrbw23
Rennpferd

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

It poured a dark copper tone with a short head that went away quickly and left very little lacing.

It had a light malt smell, it was very faint I was not impressed.

The taste definately made up for the poor smell. It had a perfectly balanced scent of pronounced malt and hops. It has a smooth mouth feel and slightly dry finish.

I found this to be very drinkable. I could drink this all day.

08-31-2008 02:23:29 | More by Rennpferd
allengarvin

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

This beer pours out a nice dark gold-amber color with a modest head on top of it. Aroma is caramel-malty, with a light toasty edge appropriate for the style. Solid hit on the flavor as well: very malty, but not just a crystal caramel taste. There's more toastiness, with a bready melanoidins that are often absent from American microbrew examples. Not much hop flavor, and just enough bitterness to dry it out; emphasis is on the malt here.

Very good oktoberfest. I'm impressed, since the rest of the Summit lineup has been pretty mediocre.

08-29-2008 02:47:08 | More by allengarvin
kinger

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Ahhh, first Oktoberfest of the '06 season and this one is a sturdy ox of a brew. Thick malty aroma, sweet and powerful. Good medium copper color with a thin head and minimal lacing, understandable due to the alcohol content. Smooth drink with a full well rounded feel. Flavor is strong and biting. Rich heavy malts dominate this one there is a nice grainy sweetness. I like a strong brew and this one is a great start to welcome in Autumn.

08-12-2008 19:38:25 | More by kinger
jackorain

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

I tate this beer on 11/05/07 and am now entering the review from copious notes taken during quaffing.

A-Medium amber color, nice tight, slightly-off-white head of about 3/4 inch in height. The head fell rather slowly, leaving a nice lace as it receedes. Stayed at a failry thick coating until the end. Nice looking beer, like I would expect an oktoberfest to look.

S-Mostly biscuit malt, some eathry, spicy hop and sweet yeast.

T-Caramel malt. There is an interesting yeasty sweetness to this one. earthy hop leaves a slight bitter finish.

M-Quite fizzy with a nce light body.

D-not too bad, I could have a couple.

03-05-2008 17:24:32 | More by jackorain
ArrogantB

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle courtesy of GrizzlyAdams and my first Summit beer. I poured this into a pilsner glass and it was a ncie orange color with a very nice subtle bread-like smell. The taste was like most other octoberfest beers I've had and nothing to stand out. However, I found5 myself drinking this beer really easily for the purported 7+ ABV.

01-11-2008 05:06:22 | More by ArrogantB
shadow1961

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Summit Oktoberfest pours 2 fingers of loose foam over a clear deep amber brew.
Carbonation is steady, the nose is fruity and bready. The flavor is sweetish with
fruity notes that make me wonder if there's a little bit of contamination from some
of the English yeast they use (since most of their other brews are English styles).
This is not a criticism. In back there's a bit of an herbal hop finish. Mouthfeel is
round and light, but not thin. Not quite to style, but pretty tasty.

12-25-2007 04:41:26 | More by shadow1961
Pauly2X

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

A- Poured virtually no head, deep redish amber color.

S- Nutty malt aroma very faint spicy hop smells.

T- Overly nutty sweet malt character, spicy hop pressence is very subdued.

M- Quite smooth nicely carbonated.

D- I've been using the rest of the six pack to marinade steaks, works great!

This is my least favorite Oktoberfest to date, but if you like an Oktoberfest with more of a nutty malt character then this is a must try

12-02-2007 19:30:00 | More by Pauly2X
ultralarry2006

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Leaves one finger of a tan head that has decent retention, and leaves decent lacing. Body is an orange amber. Appearance will be this lager's high point.

Smell - some toasty malt biscuits, and apples with a metallic scent.

Taste - toasty malt biscuits, with apples, and herbal hops, and finishing with a metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied.

Drinkability - not a bad beer, but the metallic aroma and aftertaste does impair this beer quite a bit.

11-12-2007 15:23:50 | More by ultralarry2006
brewdoc75

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

From the bottle to a pint glass

Appearance: Clear, copper, orange color w/ minimal head.

Smell: A little sulfurous. Otherwise not very hoppy, bland overall.

Taste: Full tasting malts. A little bitterness. Alcohol is hidden nicely in the malts. Moderately sweet. A clean tasting brew.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied O-fest. Creamy and rich. NIce carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm not a huge O-fest fan, but I do enjoy a few during the fall months. This one is average when compared to the others I've had. Its a reasonable choice however when you are in the mood for a Marzen style beer.

10-28-2007 01:58:24 | More by brewdoc75
sweetkness

2.4/5  rDev -33.7%

I recently also had the bottle version of this beer, and it failed to impress me either time. It's hard to find the exact reason why, but I have tried several Octoberfests this season, and this one is at the bottom of the list. It just has a different flavor/mouthfeel. That lager yeast flavor seems to be dominant, and it's missing that caramel malt sweetness that appeals to me in this style. There seems to be a different type of malt used in this Octoberfest than in others...maybe I'm wrong. Obviously, this is just my opinion, maybe other tastes would see it as one of the best out there this year.

10-22-2007 18:10:51 | More by sweetkness
Mdog

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance: Clear copper, somewhat thin head.

Smell: Light grain, toasted bread.

Taste: Bready, with a little sweetness. Alcohol is more noticeable than expected.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy even though the beer's a little on the strong side.

Drinkability: Goes down pretty smooth, have to be a little careful since this is over 7%.

Picked up a 12 pack since hey, it's October. Summit's fest beer is all right, nothing too special but pretty easy to drink.

10-07-2007 21:44:58 | More by Mdog
Mebuzzard

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

An Old Chicago night. Gave this a try as it's approaching October. Pours a light ruby, earthy brown color. Small head, could be due to OldC pouring. Served very cold.
It had a semi sweet smell, a bit grainy. Light almond hints. Tasted much the same. A nice bready undertone takes the harshness of almond away. Some slightly roasted grain makes it's way to the back of the palate. A bit thin. Chalk this up as average

10-01-2007 17:39:55 | More by Mebuzzard
GRPunk

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle poured into a mug

A- It poured a nice bronze color with a two finger off-white head. It had medium carbonation.

S- It had a very bready scent with some sweet caramel tones.

T- Some caramel flavors but it had a mostly biscuit taste.

M- The mouthfeel was a little foamy.

D- As most beers in the style, it was an easy drinker.

Overall- This was a pretty good beer, but it lacked any sort of "wow" factor. I'd drink it again, but it isn't anything I'm likely to seek out.

09-30-2007 20:08:54 | More by GRPunk
rjmclaw

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

I bought two 6 packs of these because of the reported alcohol content although the price was a drawback... the first sampling I drank 6 with the desired result

this beer has more of a reddish copper tone than other Marzens I have sampled although the appearance was not unpleasant

the smell was not strong and a bit sweeter than expected

the taste was sweet and not particularly hoppy

the feel was a bit lighter than what expect from a Marzen

the beer gave me a good headfeel after only a six pack and that was exceptional although it would not deter me from drinking more I get the feeling it would deter more normal beer drinker/samplers more than it did me

I liked this beer for its alcohol content but not as much as I like say Left Hand Marzen... I plan to sample and review more Marzen style beers as this is one of my favorite styles (hopefully one day I can get to Germany to sample the originals)

09-28-2007 01:55:58 | More by rjmclaw
Strix

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

Smells of roasted malt. Tastes like it smells, with roasted malts dominating, with an aftertaste that tasted to me like it was sort of spice or pumpkin. Honestly, the aftertaste didn't float my boat. This was all right, and there were some things going on, but the taste it left in my mouth was just kind of off. This one wasn't amazing for me.

09-23-2007 07:16:20 | More by Strix
morimech

A nice rich copper color on pour. A very small head forms after the pour then dissipates. No lacing to speak of. All activity ceases after a couple of minutes. This is a complaint I have with all of Summit's bottled beers except their witbier which is overdone in this regard.

It smells of roasted malt and caramel. Very pleasant.

The taste of sweet malt, hops, and a malt aftertaste. Nothing overpowering and well balanced.

Medium body and a soothing feeling on the tongue. A good session beer on a cool day or evening.

On second thought the 7.70% ABV doesn't make this a good session beer as I found out this morning.

09-22-2007 19:55:23 | More by morimech
DaPeculierDane

3.8/5  rDev +5%

Transparent and as close to true copper as a beer can come. Thin but lasting off white to tan head. Aroma is sweet grains and lightly toasted malts. Flavor is a tad sweet and perhaps under toasted but otherwise spot on. Toast is certainly present as is a sweet, German damp malt flavor. There is a strong nuttiness and even some nice spice in the finish. The yeast adds some sweat generic fruitiness. Slightly buttery with a touch of toffee. On the big side of medium bodied for the style. Well carbonated. The finish is dry and nutty with a carbonation bite that lingers for a while. Very drinkable. I enjoy it more than most.

09-21-2007 23:02:20 | More by DaPeculierDane
Monkeypaws

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer is best bought fresh - I just bought some on initial release in mid-September, and it is lovely. Beautiful coppery color with a fresh smell of grain, nice head on pour, and oh so delicious going down. I prefer IPAs to most, but this is one that breaks my pattern when it appears this time of year. Along with Summit's equally excellent Maibock, they are the bookends to my summer.

Oh. and the 7.7% alcohol don't hurt either :-P

09-14-2007 23:29:45 | More by Monkeypaws
bradley194

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

I really like this beer. It is a nice full bodied Oktoberfest.

Appearance- I nice dark orange color with a one finger head which lasted for a good while.

Smell- Caramel, borderline toffee, sweet smell. Very pleasant.

Taste- Really nice. Full bodied and sweet. Has a nice caramel flavor to it. Very rich malty flavor. It had a perfect balance between the flavor and the carbonation. I have found that a lot of Oktoberfest beers that I have tried have been overly carbonated. This may just be my opinion, but I think this beer had a really nice balance.

Overall- I would absolutely recommend this beer to anyone. It has a nice heaviness to it, but it is totally drinkable at the same time. Really nice balance and complexity.

Overall 4 out of 5.

09-14-2007 06:06:25 | More by bradley194
nortmand

2.68/5  rDev -26%

Pours brilliant, crystal clear orange with a half finger of white head.

Metallic yeast dominates the nose. Not very pleasant.

Some goopy caramel notes. Not clean, kind of bitter, some malt overtones. Metallic banana, etc. Unbalanced bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue.

Bright carbonation, but overly thick body. Not real drinkable, but I got some enjoyment out of it.

09-11-2007 00:53:44 | More by nortmand
blakesell

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Decent sized 1.5 finger head with a rich amber/gold orange colour. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell- This one smells much different from the one I had last year. Somehow this one got skunked. I can get traces of the malt, but the skunkiness is there. Dissapointing.

Taste- Rich and malty and then that skunk comes in. So unfortunate that such a lovely beer last year becomes this beer this year. I'll have to investigate my source next time and make sure that there aren't flourescent lights around the brew.

Mouthfeel- Sticky and slightly slimy. I'm wondering if the off skunk flavor is contributing to the bad mouthfeel in this review.

Drinkability- Had this been the same beer that I had this time last year, this would be a different review and I would be proud to have a 6pk of this beer. As it is, I'm stuck with another 4 beers that I don't want to drink anytime soon.

Too bad this time. BA reviews show that I'm stuck in an isolated incident.

09-07-2007 00:28:22 | More by blakesell
drpimento

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Very good old fashioned Oktoberfest session beer. Pours with a fine off-white head and some lace. Clear rich amber color. Nice nose matches the flavor of slightly toasty malt, very little hop. A bit of sweetness. Excellent balance. Finish has me coming back for morrre. Definite session beer.

09-04-2007 22:55:23 | More by drpimento