1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Summit Great Northern Porter - Summit Brewing Company

Summit Great Northern PorterSummit Great Northern Porter

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Porter |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: ADR on 03-04-2002)

4.78/5  rDev +25.5%

This another great beer brewed locally here in Minnesota. It pours a very dark, reddish brown and has a nice creamy tan head that leaves pretty quick. It has the terrific smell of dark malts...I love the smell of porters and stouts. It has a major hop kick and a bitter, dark chocolate/ coffee flavor that is most agreeable to me. Hey, maybe I am biased, because Summit is a local brewer, but this is one of the best porters I have ever tried. It has plenty of hopping to go with the heavy usage of dark malts. All in all a dreamy beer...

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

4.73/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a 12 pack from Big Top in Minnetonka.

Appearance --- Dark brown with about 2 fingers worth of a creamy tan head, with a bit of lacing left.

Smell --- Really enjoyable smell, appeared to be of chocolate, possibly coffee as well, and roasted malt.

Taste --- Slightly bitter, with subtle blends of what appeared to be coffee, chocolate, possibly caramel, and nuts.

Mouth feel --- Medium bodied, dry feel, with some carbonation

Overall --- As person that appreciates all sorts of porters, especially the Baltic & American types… I am a huge fan of Summit’s Great Northern Porter. I think it is their best bottled beer, even though my favorite type of Summit is their Oatmeal Stout (that you can only find on tap). A recommendation for people that are trying this for a first time, during my sitting, I noticed a difference between the aroma & taste from the first beer that came directly from the fridge, and the second beer which I let sit on the counter to warm for a few minutes. I recommend refrigerating it, but there is a more enjoyable complexity in regards to the aroma and taste, when you pull it out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for a few minutes before drinking. The beer appears to become a bit more active, which was a plus to me. I am fortunate to live in Minnesota these days, to have access to their Great Northern Porter, while living in other Midwest cities I was only able to really enjoy/access their flagship beer, the EPA. It is even better on tap, but hard to find on tap in Twin Cities. My only request would be to have this more easily accessible on tap in the Twin Cities whether it be at bars or sporting events.

4.58/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours dark mahogany with a 1.5" tan head. Not much lacing or head retention

Smell: Big malt roastiness and cofee notes

Taste: Fruitness is quickly overan by toasted malt assualt. Coffee& choclate flavors mop up the flavor attack! Finishes dry and roasty

MF: Pretty nicely balanced but a tad undercarboanted

Drank really easy, may have to re-review another beer if the head & lacing in the other 5 of the 6 pack hold up better. Very nice porter, even going down good in 80+degree weather!

4.58/5  rDev +20.2%

Someone once asked me what would be the one beer I'd choose if I can only have one for the rest of my life, the old desert island query. They were surprised when I chose this, and I had to bring out my rationale. But first...
Big, bubbly, cocoa-colored head, dark brown color. Aroma comes out with fresh roasty flavors, toasty flavors, some spiciness, chocolate, espresso, etcetera. Darkens in taste as you go, with a thick full, well-balanced mouthfeel, but still sufficient bitterness. Marvelous and mellow, slips down the throat nicely, but still with a bit of a bite. If Summit ever dropped it, I'd have to break down and sob.
Not as powerful as many other porters, but reliably flavorful. Why do I choose it for this "last and only" choice? It's excellent for my kind of session ale, not too strong or powerful, just right in hops and malt. And it's local, from just across the river, and I don't have to mention how important that is...

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours really dark brown, almost black. Almost no head at all, with small amount of lacing.

S: Coffee and cocoa. This beer smells more bitter and less sweet.

T: Obviously, this tastes of bitter chocolate and coffee, but then at the finish something else comes through. Sweet? Spicy? This is surprising because it contrasts so much with the intitial reaction to scent and taste.

M: Neutral. This beer does nothing to offend the mouth, nor anything special to dazzle either.

D: Excellent. Very easy to drink and goes well with most food.

I have been drinking this beer for over ten years now, and it has never let me down. I consider it to be my go to Porter, and the base that I start to evaluate other Porters.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown that shows some ruby red when held up to light. Small creamy white tan head that slowly fades to a white film. Decent lacing.

Smell: Dark roasted malts with a strong aroma of coffee and chocolate. Slight citrus hops in the background.

Taste: Malt sweetness and coffee followed by chocolate and light earthy hop bitterness. Hints of smoke in the background.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Creamy and smooth.

Overall: A very good porter with great balance.

Summit Great Northern Porter from Summit Brewing Company