Summit Maibock - Summit Brewing Company

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ADR on 02-09-2002

2.17/5  rDev -40.1%

12oz. brown bottle served in a pilsner glass. Poured a brilliant, clear gold. Very effervescent with two fingers of fine bubbled white head. Good looking beer, unfortunately it went downhill from here. This beer seems to have some fermentation issues. There is some sulfur in the nose. It dissipates to allow a little caramel malt. Thin bodied. There is some corny, dms type of flavor there. Some maltiness, but not enough for the style. A little hop bitterness in the middle. I wondered if I had a bad bottle, but other reviews seem to reinforce my tasting. (558 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -38.1%

Originally reviewed April 9, 2005. Bottle at the Gitchee Gumee Brewfest 2005. I had high expectations for this somewhat mass produced bock and was let WAY down. I thought it tasted like a run of the mill cold-filtered lager. The flavors were dominated by a boring hop sugar and was way too sweet in the end. Blah. (313 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -37%

Poured into a shaker pint. I must say I had never heard of Summit but I do like bocks so I picked it up. looked a little pale even for a maibock and it did not smell too good either. It had no bock taste and an underlying taste of skunky (just faintly). Not sure if I picked up a bad 6-pack but Summit I'll be avoiding. (319 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -34%

Found this at an Old Chicago in Denver. Pours a dark, yet pale yellow. Kind of a light amber. No head.
Smells of sweet malt, yet stale at the same time. Nothing else
Taste starts out a bit crisp then slams on the staleness pretty quickly. Not refreshing at all. Perhaps the line was dirty, but it was their newest addition. Drain pour. (338 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden color with a modest head that doesn't leave much lacing

Smell: Vegetal, cooked corn aroma overwhelms the underlying sweet malt base

Taste: Starts with the anticipated sweet malty flavors with just a hint of maple; after the swallow, the vegetal flavors overwhelm along with some unexpected grainy hops

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; warmth in the gullet on the way down

Drinkability: Possible DMS problem with this batch provide some real off flavors and the warmth from the alcohol is a bit too pronounced for the style; this tastes like one of those high octane lagers from Eastern Europe (659 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -31.8%

A bright shiny clear orange. Rich fluffy two inch head rests atop this brew. Great head retention with sticky lacing.

Nose is weak and uncomplex. Hints of barley malt, and alcohol.

Very one dimensional, lacking complexity. Overly carbonated mouthfeel, caramel malt, and a little too watery for my liking. Not a beer I would try again yet glad I tried it. (360 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -31.5%

Mellow pour. The thick light head will settle within minutes.
There is a stinky, dry fruit smell that pairs nicely with the thick syrupy taste of licorice. It's not the sweet taste I remember it as a kid. Its more raw and bitter. If I could get past its thick taste of medicinal root I could drink it more often.
It's consistant from last year, and within it's class as a Maibock, but not to my liking. (405 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -31.5%

Had this at Ike's bar and resturant in the Minneapolis / St. Paul airport in Minnesota.

It was served in a 16 oz glass and has a very clear, orange-amber color with a short head.

It has a light, grassy and herbal aroma. The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is medium. The taste is grassy with light hops and it has an unusual orange candy sweet taste that I wasn't too wild about. A bit too sweet for me.

It was a drinkable but unremarkable brew. (455 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a loose 1" rocky light cream-colored head. Visible moderate carbonation.

Smells like buttered biscuits, sweet cream, vanilla and almonds.

The above scents I mentioned that transfer into flavors are a bit sharper and less malty/creamy than I would have expected. There's definitely a sweetness that caresses the tongue at first sip, then a half-second later bone dry wicked saltiness wipes all that creamy, malty goodness away - quite a head jerker for sure. I don't know if it’s the alcohol that's throwing a monkey wrench or what, but it's very abrupt and distracting.

Mouthfeel is fine. Medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is not good for me. I'm taking the remaining bottles back to the store from where I purchased them.

I feel bad giving this brew a sub-par score from all of the other Summit's I tried so far. I sure hope it's last years batch, but seeing it just today from a reputable distributor, I doubt it. The salty/dry component is really turning me off. Better luck next time. (1,076 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

I'm starting to think that I'm not a fan of summit beer.

Smell is slightly vegetable like. Pilsner malt dominates throughout. Sort of a cattiness underneath.

Taste is sort of catty and has some vegetable flavors. Some grassy/lemony flavors arise as well. Some dry tannins lead to a little bit of off flavors. DMS throughout.

Mouthfeel is somewhat crisp.

This beer just doesn't do it for me. There are some DMS problems. I think I'm not a fan of summit. I don't like any of the beers from them that I've had, and I think I've had 4 even though I haven't reviewed all of them. (578 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -23.2%

Drinking this in July, perhaps a little late for the spring seasonal.

A: Pours a nice 2 finger head, colour is a bit lighter than expected. No lacing at all is present after the first few minutes.

S: Not much nose on this one. Some malt smells.

T: This beer tastes strongly of alcohol. At first, I detect a bit of malt, followed by some hops and ending with a tin/metal taste. This tin taste seems to be typical of Summit beers; but it doesn't bother me much as I have been drinking Summit for many years. Decent balance overall.

M/D: Feels great in the mouth apart from the alcohol being rather strong. Actually, it seems Summit did not try to mask the alcohol at all. The drinkability is poor. I would say Summit dropped the ball on this one. (749 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

Golden colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is light fruits.Taste is grapefruit and pine with a buttery finish.I am a person who thinks that pine is a scent not a flavor and should not be included in drinks.Overall though not terrible.I would not buy again nor recommend. (279 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Reviewed from notes. Served in a shaker pint.

A foamy, white mass about a half finger in width dies quickly and barely covers the cap of this pale-gold beer.

The smells are clean and include some biscuit malt, sugary sweetness, and a bit of cereal grain.

I am surprised by the herbal and slightly sweet flavors out of the gate. Then comes some cardamom, earthiness, cereal grain, and a little bit of roast on the back end. These flavors are having a hard time meshing for me. I like the effort, just not what these profiles taste like all together.

This is another failing of this beer sadly.. This beer was watery thin, and even a little off putting. The finish is very dry and hard to get through.

Again, the downfall of this beer begins and ends with the mouth feel. It is also disappointing that this beer is entirely too grainy, and not malty enough for a bock. (871 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

I had recently had this on tap and decided to do the bottled version as well as I thought I remembered liking it better. That wasn't the case.

Dark gold or honey colored. Wispy head and large bubbles of abundant prickle when poured into the glass. The "on tap" was much more still. Grainy nose. Grain dominates the attack. Heavy grain notes in the flavor. Tiny bits of bitterness as you approach the finish. The aftertaste is mildly sour. While I will order this beer in a bar over most of the selections available it is one of my least favorite offerings from Summit. (570 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a near non-existent white head.

Smell: Mild, malty aroma with a weak hint of citrus.

Taste: Slightly bready pale malt taste. Medium sweetness. Tart, stale fruitiness. Hint of citrus. Dash of booze on the bittersweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Okay, but comes across as a bit bland. It's just not what I'm looking for in a maibock. (422 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle without a freshness code pours a very clear, dark gold color. 2-finger cap of light tan head displays decent retention and pretty good lacing.

Nose is composed of equal parts grassy and spicy hops, light caramel, honey and cereal grains. Kind of an odd smelling beer, although I cant say exactly why.

Sweet grainy malts collide with a burnt toast and floral hop bitterness. Instead of balancing each other, it's more like they are polarizing the flavors in the beer. Mouthfeel is fine, and the carbonation is adequate. The beer lacks smoothness and the alcohol is not well masked, biting even. Not really a big fan of this one. (642 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a golden bronze color with a respectable white head that leaves nice lacings. The nose is of sweet carmel malts. The taste is a little bland and boring, not bad by any means, just not much to rave about. It has a sweet, malty affect, and not much more. The mouthfeel is decent. Medium-bodied, barely. It goes down well, and the 7% is noticable, almost seems to be higher. (377 characters)

This seems quite hoppy for a bock, but I'm not all that familiar with the Maibock style. All around, I found it uninspiring. Nice, lacy head, though! Medium body, non-descipt beer-ish smell, some OK citrus notes through the hops, but not thrilling. I'd drink it again, but I probably wouldn't buy it myself! (307 characters)

This beer had a harsh, raw edge that was a bit off-putting. Poured a nice coppery amber with a rocky head. Well moderated toasted caramel malt up front, but then a grating, raw alcohol flavor rode through and left some fusel notes in its wake. At 7% abv some alcohol notes would be expected, but here they were not integrated into the flavor profile. (350 characters)

On tap @ the map room in Chicago.

Pours a hazy light gold in color with a thin white that had little retention. Nose is a bit sweet, but a bit on the bland side, it does have a sort of "fresh" smell to it however. Taste is sweet up front, followed by a slightly bitter note, finishing with an odd astringency. Overall, not bad, certainly quaffable, but there are definatly better maibocks out there.

Slàinte! (415 characters)

A: Dark golden butter color with a clean appearance to it. Head is decent, good 1/4 inch of whipped butter colored bubbles.

S: White grapes, yellow corn, pancakes and green apple.

T: Starts off with the juice of yellow apples, pears and perhaps squash. Sweet with minor hints of maple and brown sugar. Transitions to a stewed vegetable type personality which finishes it out. Aftertaste is more apple with moments of metallic flavors.

M: Medium body, fluffy

D: Nothing really special about this beer...but nothing stands out as bad either (550 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Served in a flared pokal at Bliss.

I was a bit surprised to see this out already, but not enough to turn it down. It pours a clear pale-ish straw topped by a large finger of white froth. The nose comprises wheat, light corn, and very light honey. The taste holds notes of lemongrass, greens, flowers, light orange peel, and wheat. The first two elements contribute a decently strong bitterness, especially for the style. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, a sub-par maibock, one I don't really ever want to revisit. (567 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance: Clear gold, ok head.

Smell: First whiff was skunky, then settles into some mild grass.

Taste: Moderately sweet caramel, breadiness, some booziness, some grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Feels somewhat heavy.

Drinkability: Not my favorite mix of flavors.

Finally wrote up a review for this beer, I've had it plenty of times but just never reviewed it. Probably because this and the Octoberfest are my least favorite Summit beers. For some reason, those two beers just seem too boozy, i.e. the alcohol is not hidden very well. Maybe I just need a little more hop presence to hide the alcohol, as there are many other high ABV beers that I enjoy. (651 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a light amber pilsner color. A mix of light rust and golden hay. Very faint and sporadick bubbling. Smell is a light yet somewhat sweet malt offering. The flavor is a lawnmower light sweetness with more of an alcoholic kick. Like a pilsber with more toasty notes and less hop presence. But there is some skunkiness. (321 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a finger or head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is slightly caramel, slightly buttery, slightly orange-sweet. The flavor is pretty uninspiring to me. Some caramel, butter, and an orangey sweetness just like the nose. I'm not really digging it. It leaves a little something on the finish, not a hop biter, but an astringent character that I don't like either. The feel is moderate wit ha healthy carbonation. Its pretty easy drinking and smooth, but the flavor is keeping it from being highly drinkable. I will pass on this one in the future. (588 characters)

Summit Maibock from Summit Brewing Company