Summit Maibock - Summit Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ADR on 02-09-2002

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%

2.17/5  rDev -39.6%

12oz. brown bottle served in a pilsner glass. Poured a brilliant, clear gold. Very effervescent with two fingers of fine bubbled white head. Good looking beer, unfortunately it went downhill from here. This beer seems to have some fermentation issues. There is some sulfur in the nose. It dissipates to allow a little caramel malt. Thin bodied. There is some corny, dms type of flavor there. Some maltiness, but not enough for the style. A little hop bitterness in the middle. I wondered if I had a bad bottle, but other reviews seem to reinforce my tasting.

2.24/5  rDev -37.6%

Originally reviewed April 9, 2005. Bottle at the Gitchee Gumee Brewfest 2005. I had high expectations for this somewhat mass produced bock and was let WAY down. I thought it tasted like a run of the mill cold-filtered lager. The flavors were dominated by a boring hop sugar and was way too sweet in the end. Blah.

2.28/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured into a shaker pint. I must say I had never heard of Summit but I do like bocks so I picked it up. looked a little pale even for a maibock and it did not smell too good either. It had no bock taste and an underlying taste of skunky (just faintly). Not sure if I picked up a bad 6-pack but Summit I'll be avoiding.

2.39/5  rDev -33.4%

Found this at an Old Chicago in Denver. Pours a dark, yet pale yellow. Kind of a light amber. No head.
Smells of sweet malt, yet stale at the same time. Nothing else
Taste starts out a bit crisp then slams on the staleness pretty quickly. Not refreshing at all. Perhaps the line was dirty, but it was their newest addition. Drain pour.

2.43/5  rDev -32.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden color with a modest head that doesn't leave much lacing

Smell: Vegetal, cooked corn aroma overwhelms the underlying sweet malt base

Taste: Starts with the anticipated sweet malty flavors with just a hint of maple; after the swallow, the vegetal flavors overwhelm along with some unexpected grainy hops

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; warmth in the gullet on the way down

Drinkability: Possible DMS problem with this batch provide some real off flavors and the warmth from the alcohol is a bit too pronounced for the style; this tastes like one of those high octane lagers from Eastern Europe

2.47/5  rDev -31.2%

A bright shiny clear orange. Rich fluffy two inch head rests atop this brew. Great head retention with sticky lacing.

Nose is weak and uncomplex. Hints of barley malt, and alcohol.

Very one dimensional, lacking complexity. Overly carbonated mouthfeel, caramel malt, and a little too watery for my liking. Not a beer I would try again yet glad I tried it.

2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

Mellow pour. The thick light head will settle within minutes.
There is a stinky, dry fruit smell that pairs nicely with the thick syrupy taste of licorice. It's not the sweet taste I remember it as a kid. Its more raw and bitter. If I could get past its thick taste of medicinal root I could drink it more often.
It's consistant from last year, and within it's class as a Maibock, but not to my liking.

2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

Had this at Ike's bar and resturant in the Minneapolis / St. Paul airport in Minnesota.

It was served in a 16 oz glass and has a very clear, orange-amber color with a short head.

It has a light, grassy and herbal aroma. The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is medium. The taste is grassy with light hops and it has an unusual orange candy sweet taste that I wasn't too wild about. A bit too sweet for me.

It was a drinkable but unremarkable brew.

2.59/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a loose 1" rocky light cream-colored head. Visible moderate carbonation.

Smells like buttered biscuits, sweet cream, vanilla and almonds.

The above scents I mentioned that transfer into flavors are a bit sharper and less malty/creamy than I would have expected. There's definitely a sweetness that caresses the tongue at first sip, then a half-second later bone dry wicked saltiness wipes all that creamy, malty goodness away - quite a head jerker for sure. I don't know if it’s the alcohol that's throwing a monkey wrench or what, but it's very abrupt and distracting.

Mouthfeel is fine. Medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is not good for me. I'm taking the remaining bottles back to the store from where I purchased them.

I feel bad giving this brew a sub-par score from all of the other Summit's I tried so far. I sure hope it's last years batch, but seeing it just today from a reputable distributor, I doubt it. The salty/dry component is really turning me off. Better luck next time.

2.66/5  rDev -25.9%

2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

I'm starting to think that I'm not a fan of summit beer.

Smell is slightly vegetable like. Pilsner malt dominates throughout. Sort of a cattiness underneath.

Taste is sort of catty and has some vegetable flavors. Some grassy/lemony flavors arise as well. Some dry tannins lead to a little bit of off flavors. DMS throughout.

Mouthfeel is somewhat crisp.

This beer just doesn't do it for me. There are some DMS problems. I think I'm not a fan of summit. I don't like any of the beers from them that I've had, and I think I've had 4 even though I haven't reviewed all of them.

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

Drinking this in July, perhaps a little late for the spring seasonal.

A: Pours a nice 2 finger head, colour is a bit lighter than expected. No lacing at all is present after the first few minutes.

S: Not much nose on this one. Some malt smells.

T: This beer tastes strongly of alcohol. At first, I detect a bit of malt, followed by some hops and ending with a tin/metal taste. This tin taste seems to be typical of Summit beers; but it doesn't bother me much as I have been drinking Summit for many years. Decent balance overall.

M/D: Feels great in the mouth apart from the alcohol being rather strong. Actually, it seems Summit did not try to mask the alcohol at all. The drinkability is poor. I would say Summit dropped the ball on this one.

2.8/5  rDev -22%

Golden colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is light fruits.Taste is grapefruit and pine with a buttery finish.I am a person who thinks that pine is a scent not a flavor and should not be included in drinks.Overall though not terrible.I would not buy again nor recommend.

Summit Maibock from Summit Brewing Company