Summit Maibock - Summit Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ADR on 02-09-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 389 | Reviews: 203
3.81/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Extremely clear with many slow streams of bubbles. HEAD: Small and unimpressive, but at least a ring of carbonation hangs around the edges... for awhile COLOR: Very beautiful dark golden blonde color.

S- A bit like stale bread, but there are some good lager-like aromas along with crisp hops and grain.

T- A bit disappointing for a bock, but at least there are no stale or off flavors. The hops are fine and dandy, bold and bitter, Czech and spicy. The malt, on the other hand, is lacking and insignificant for a bock, even a maibock.

M- Nummies. Gentle carbonation and hearty body. No complaints here.

D- Well, I can get drunk off these quicker than most any beer, but that is true of most bocks. This one happens to be exceptionally quaff-able and light-hearted.

3.24/5  rDev -9.7%

The aroma smells like cooked corn and rotten eggs with citrus and honey. The appearance is deep gold with a nice head. The flavor has none of the rotten eggs but does have some corn and honey to go along with a generous amount of malt and hops. The palate is thin but right for the style. Overall I have to say it's one stinky beer that tastes alright.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

A) Rich golden body shows excellent clarity and small carbonation streams that feed a modest head and lasting halo that leaves ribbons of lace down the glass.

S) Bready sweet malt blended with spicy earthy noble hop leaves.

T) A rich full flavor, deep malt backbone gives a hearty feel while the bittering hops cut the finish and refresh the palate for the next pull.

M) Full body, medium low carbonation, lasting lip smacking finish.

D) This is a well made beer in an under appreciated style. With all the extreme brews out there, it's nice to come back to a somewhat simple taste at full volume. I'd like another.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz Bottle poured into a Pilsner glass

A - Tantalizing golden/ light amber color with almost no carbonation bubbles coming up and a weak head that amounted to almost nothing at all.

S - Sweet, light malty nose accentuated by a delicate hop balance

T - Medium bodied malt character with subdued fruity hints. Pear and white grape. All flavors harmonized with a fantastic balance of hops.

M - Crisp and refreshing for sure. Almost no carbonation on the tongue but the beer is still carbonated though I wouldn't say its "smooth per se".

D - Fantastic drinkability - good balance, great color. Perfect session beer with a good flavor!

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottle shared by a generous BA at the Brick Store.

Pours a light, clear golden amber with a big white head that dissipates very quickly and leaves very little lacing.

The aroma is mostly just toasted grains on top of a light bready malt base.

The taste isn't any more exciting than the aroma as the toasted character of both the grains and malts dominate throughout.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and very crisp with a dry, bready finish.

This is a decent maibock but nothing that really stands vs. others I've had. Drinkable but fairly forgettable.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Pristine dark gold beer, beautiful. Pale white head rises to 1.5 cm off the pour then slowly recedes, retaining a thin layer.

S-Spicy and floral hop aromas, clean with a hint of breadiness.

T-Semi-sweet bready malts balanced by a nice, assertive bitterness. A floral spicy hop flavor emerges hand-in-hand with the bitterness. Aftertaste is of hops with a slight malty sweetness.

M-Medium-high carbonation, moderate mouthfeel, finishes lager-clean.

D-Great drinkability. One of my Minnesota seasonal favorites. It displays some enjoyable hops and seems relatively well balanced, displaying some of the enjoyable characters of the style.

2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

I'm starting to think that I'm not a fan of summit beer.

Smell is slightly vegetable like. Pilsner malt dominates throughout. Sort of a cattiness underneath.

Taste is sort of catty and has some vegetable flavors. Some grassy/lemony flavors arise as well. Some dry tannins lead to a little bit of off flavors. DMS throughout.

Mouthfeel is somewhat crisp.

This beer just doesn't do it for me. There are some DMS problems. I think I'm not a fan of summit. I don't like any of the beers from them that I've had, and I think I've had 4 even though I haven't reviewed all of them.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

A= pours with a two finger head that falls quickly leaving some spotty bubbles and a ring around my glass. An amber or orange color that's completely clear.
S= I get a lot of grains used. Not really a malty chocolate or coffee but more of a whole grain smell
T= very grainy in taste just like the smell. The difference is a lot of sweetness in the taste.
M= smooth and creamy with a dry finish
D= average. Pretty good beer but nothing too great.

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

My friend handed one of these to me the other night. "This is going to blow your mind" he said. On the contrary, my dear Watson.

Pours a clear copper tinted gold color. A white bubbly head is produced. Little to no lacing.

The smell is pretty generic, unfortunately. I was expecting more. The taste didn't "blow my mind" as much as I'd like. Typical bitterness associated with Maibock's here. Nothing to outlandish or adventurous. This is a simple, but good, beer.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp, leaving a dry finish. I would consider this above average.

Yet another good (but not great) beer from Summit. I almost feel as if there is a common taste in all Summit beers, one that I can't put my finger on, but it is definitely present here. During a blind taste testing, it wouldn't be hard to pick out a Summit beer. Not necessarily a bad quality, because at least they are consistent.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a nice clean, clear pale golden color. For some reason, I blame Smuttynose, I was expecting more body and color with this one. The head retention is pretty weak, fading quickly to a thin wisp of white. Nice bubble action though!

Smell is macro-esque, pale sour malt at first followed by a nice sweetness that seems to justify things.

Taste is a bit of apple cider, sour and sour malt and just a bit of a hop finish. This one also has a bit dryness as well in the finish.

Very drinkable beer, that is the highlight I feel. Thanks goes out to a colleague who hauled a few of these on a flight from MN just to let me try something from Summit.

By the way, I just realized that this clocks in at 7%. That is a surprise, I was thinking below 5!

2.8/5  rDev -22%

Golden colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is light fruits.Taste is grapefruit and pine with a buttery finish.I am a person who thinks that pine is a scent not a flavor and should not be included in drinks.Overall though not terrible.I would not buy again nor recommend.

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

A-Pours a clear golden color with a medium off white bubbly head that fades to a small film on beer. Leaves outstanding lace.

S-Sweet malt aroma with earhty hops. Very balanced aroma.

T-Lots of sweet biscuit malts and caramel in the back with soft bitterness for balance. Wow. Slight hops flavor in the finish.

M-Medium to full bodied and very smooth, creamy sweetness coats the mouth well.

D-Very drinkable.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

12 oz. stubby bottle into a beer mug.

Summit Maibock pours a semi-attractive, semi-pale golden hue into the mug and quickly builds a sturdy cap of off-white foam. Above-average head retention, thanks to a healthy carbonation level, but unfortunately no lacing. The aroma is heavy on the side of semi-sweet, pale malts with starched notes of wheat crackers and cereal. A gentle, floral hop presence lends a nice balance to it all.

The flavor is much more heavy-handed on the hop front, and to me that's a good thing even if it's not exactly per the style. The hoppiness is resinous, piny, and much more bitter than I'd anticipated, but a sweet pale/caramel malt presence balances it nicely. Mouthfeel is superb, with a crisp, light-medium, bubbly body that finishes clean after a bitter dose of hops and slight booze warmth. I must admit, I wasn't exactly expecting much out of this Maibock, but was pleasantly surprised by Summit's brewing ability and look forward to their other brews.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured a two finger head into my pint glass. Medium straw color. Very clear.
Smell, sweet bready, noble hoppy.
Taste: crisp, dried fruit, slight bitterness. Biscuity.
M/D: Very nice drinkability. The 7% abv is a surprise.
Nice mid level ground between a doppelbock and a Helles.
A nice addition to the Texas beer selection.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a light straw amber gold with a lot of bubbles and a decent head that fades to a light film at the top of the glass. Moderate lacing, much more impressive than I expected. Tastes of fresh malts and a little bitterness. Pretty refreshing. Definitely feeling the bitterness in the aftertaste. (Burp) Yep, definitely malty. The mouthfeel is pretty light, you can definitely feel the carbonation, but I guess it's not overbearing. A pretty drinkable beer.

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

A Transparent gold

S Taffy with an undercurrent of citrus

T Slight Rio Grande Valley (Texas) orange and I swear a bit of a buttery taste. Appropriately bitter yet malty - the classic tension in beer.

M Very impressive. Thankfully adheres to the Reinheitsgebot. This is the antiCoors.

D This is real beer. I bought a case. Glad my wife drinks only wine.

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a nice off white head that laces slightly. The color was light golden.

Smells like a typical bock, nothing to appealing to me. Bready and carmel aromas. Taste is kind of malty, kind of skunky. Not something I enjoyed.

Mouthfeel was a little crisp. leaves a dry flavor in your mouth.

Overall, this is one of the only summits I haven't liked. I don't prefer bocks to much, but I really didn't like this at all.

4.42/5  rDev +23.1%

A- Very beautiful deep golden color, pretty clear with only the very slightest of sediment, and a nice thick head that slowly recedes leaving some nice lacing.

S- Nice signature Helles smell here. Nice hoppy edge to it but also a great balance of the caramel, bready, biscuity malt.

T- Initially, a nice thicker almost caramel or honey biscuity matliness with a nice hop balance and great dry hop finish some great residual maltiness. This is great.

M- Iniitally, I find the carbonation to be a bit much but it tames down as we get deeper into the beer. As noted, the finish of this beer is very nice.

D- 7% is greatly hidden in this summit Gem. This one is just as good, if not better, in my opinion, than dead guy. I look forward to a few more of these until I run out and have to wait until next year.

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

A- Clear deep yellow, 3/4 finger head.

S- Sweet and toasted malts.

T- Toasted malt dominates throughout interlaced with sweet caramel malts and noble hops.

M- Decent body slightly fizzy.

D- Nothing special here.

Although a well crafted beer, I really didn't enjoy this that much. The toasted malt flavor dominated too much in my opinion.

3.41/5  rDev -5%

Absolutely beautiful color. Dark gold with a good, foamy head. The smell I got was some apple, slight vanilla. Also got a sweet woodsy smell from it.

The taste is tangy, I get the apple smell in the middle, and it has a strong hop taste in the finish. Hop taste sits at the back of the tongue. A little sweet in parts. Nice and complex.

The mouthfeel is medium-body, tingles on the tongue. I can sense a small alcohol taste.

Overall, it's a great beer. Complex flavors that hit various spots on the tongue. The hop flavor stays in the mouth for a while. I wouldn't necessarily pound a few of these back in a row, but it is enjoyable.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

I think this is my favorite Summit offering to date. Appearance is good with a lot of head and very good lacing. Smell is quite good as well, noticable hops, but not overpowering. Light on malt.
Taste is also quite good as well. The hops really come through here, with several different types.
Mouthfeel is a bit light.
Drinkability is very good given the high hop content.

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%

Light copper pour with a tiny white head that goes away quickly.
Aroma is faint, but I can detect some floral hops.
Taste is good, kind of light and refreshing, dry malts rounded out by some nice floral hops, with a touch of spice.
Mouthfeel is average, maybe even a little thin but well carbinated.
Easy to drink and at almost 7% a little dangerous. This beer is solid, but not remarkable.

3.96/5  rDev +10.3%

A - A clean dark golden color with one finger of head. Almost no lacing.

S - Toasted malts and some grassy hops. Heavier on the malts but a weak aroma overall.

T - Bready malts dominate the taste. A light hop bite at the end to provide some balance.

M/D - Well carbonated and very smooth. A drinkable beer with a deceptive 7.0%.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

i am relatively new to maibocks. this one really pleased me. nice medium color. poured a nice head and carbonation into the glass. nice hop aroma. it tasted quite yummy with a good malt and hop combination. i bought a sixer of this and i will enjoy 2 more tonight!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

Had this at Ike's bar and resturant in the Minneapolis / St. Paul airport in Minnesota.

It was served in a 16 oz glass and has a very clear, orange-amber color with a short head.

It has a light, grassy and herbal aroma. The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is medium. The taste is grassy with light hops and it has an unusual orange candy sweet taste that I wasn't too wild about. A bit too sweet for me.

It was a drinkable but unremarkable brew.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Summit Maibock from Summit Brewing Company