Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Summit India Pale Ale - Summit Brewing Company

Summit India Pale AleSummit India Pale Ale

good

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: ADR on 02-16-2002

Replaced by True Brit IPA.
2.15/5  rDev -39.8%

Reddish brown. Aromas of brown sugar and burned brown sugar mixed with alcohol and subtle, peppery hops. Intensely roasty on the palate, reminiscent of roast-inflated American porter, hardly appropriate here. The point seems to be to obscure a heavy load of sweet malt. The effect is bitter and sweet, like strong, cheap black coffee with sugar stirred in.

There is nothing even vaguely "IPA"-like about this beer and it's a chore to drink besides. (451 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -37.5%

12 oz bottle.

Relatively clear dark amber. Off-white sticky head that stays around for a while. The smell is surprising..roasted malts and really no noted hop aroma. Earthy flavor with a metallic/chemical additive which distracts from any pleasant flavors that may be lingering here...damn hard to drink, all things considering.

Bottom line: If this is an IPA, then I have no grasp of what an IPA is. (406 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -36.7%

There was a clear copper color, nice foamy head and pronounced lacing along the sides of the glass. A very appealing appearance. The smell did not have the overpowering hops I would expect from an IPA, but it could be that the beer was old. The very first sip provided a strong metallic taste that then turned to an average hop bitterness. Having tried another Summit brew that also had a metallic taste I wonder if it is a problem with their brewing process.

The mouthfeel was fine, well carbonated. I said this in my last rating for a Summit brew, don't buy off the shelf marked for sale. You will almost always be disappointed. Having said that, I would definitley try this beer again, but only if I was sure it was fresh. (728 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass

A: Poured a clear copper/orange color with almost a slight ruby tinge to it as well. Had a small head that dissipated quickly.

S: Smells very bready, none of the usual pine/citrus aromas. Not much going on here. The smell is a little off-putting.

T: Some caramel and the bready flavor is here too, no citrus or pine here either. Tastes kind of flat, not like a typical IPA.

M/D: Water, not a lot to it at all. Overall, not good, but looking at other reviews, I wouldn't be surprised it this one had been sitting too long. Would be willing to give it another shot. (612 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -32.5%

I would say the look is good for an EIPA. The appears heavily carbonated and darker than most AIPAs, which it should. Head is moderate and off-white. Good for and English IPA, except I don't know about all the carbonation in an English beer.

Light crystal malt and dough in the nose with some floral though understated English hops. A wisp of alcohol comes through as it warms. I could use some more aroma hops.

Some mellow alcohol up front followed by minty hops and crystal malt. A little plastic in it as well. In the finish notes of some darker crystal and a slight astringent roastiness. Not a big fan.

Over-carbonated for an English ale of any kind IMO.

I just don't dig the balance in this brew. Bitterness is fine, but barely any aroma. The hop flavor that is there is closer to a steam beer than I feel and English IPA should be. I would be interested to know what hops they used to IPAify this one so I know not to brew with them. (944 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -31.4%

Old penny colored beer has no real head to speak of. The nose is caramel malt. Taste is very simple, caramel malt and bitter hop resin. Mouthfeel is sticky and fizzy. This is a refreshing beer with no real off-flavors but it is painfully boringgg. Sorry I fell asleep just thinking about it (290 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -29.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours a ruby amber with a huge frothy off-white head the retains and laces the glass.

The aroma is grassy vegetal hops. Not very pleasant at all.

The flavor is grassy hops leading to a bitter finish. The mouthfeel is extremely watery - it tends to wash out the flavor.

Overall, not a great example of an IPA. It has good bitterness, but it's pretty simplistic and unbalanced, and I don't care for the grassiness. (435 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -28.6%

A - Definitely the best thing about this beer is the way it looks. A pale golden color with a great head that stays throughout and leaves layers of sticky lacing up and down the glass. However, that is where the fun ends.

S - The smell that sticks out is corny/grainy, reminiscent of Budweiser. I guess a hop aroma is there, but way in the background. Very unimpressive for an IPA

T - I was expecting a big hop attack from this one, but it almost seems as if Summit's Extra Pale Ale is more hoppy than this one. Very corny/grainy tasting under the small hop undercurrent. Underwhelming and not very appetizing.

Overall I was rather disappointed with this beer. If you're trying out Summit, go for the EPA or the porter. (722 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -28.6%

Sweet, slight cheesiness to the hops, unbalanced beer. The beer had an oxidized aroma, with a sour tang on the tongue in the back of the flavor profile. Thin bodied and watery. I was on the road and so drank directly from the bottle, so aroma could have been off because of that, very hard to tell a good aroma from bad sometimes straight from the bottle. But overall, did not drink well. (388 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -27.7%

12 oz. bottle received from a friend as an extra ina trade.

I drank this about an hour ago and still have about 1/4 left in my glass. I'm really liking IPA's as of late, but this one just is not very good. It's either old, or just not a good IPA. Kind of sad considering MN produces Furious which is fantastic.

I'd recommend shying away from this poor man's IPA, especially when there are so many better offrerings out there. (428 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from their 12oz bottle...

Appearance - Pours a finger of creamy eggshell head, color of the ale is a clear lite orange amber color, there is some nice lacing after each quaff.

Smell - Alot of bready malts, freshly baked bread, slight citrus and ripe fruit, slight floral hops.

Taste - Light minerals and slight medicinal, toasty breadcrust, grassy hops, sweet malts, pumpernickel crust, slight pepperiness, slight aspirin and chalkiness, touch of citrus pith and peel - more astringency than flavor though.

Mouthfeel - Lighter side of medium, medium carb is smooth at first but gets sharp and drying at back of the tongue. Off flavors are astringent, puckering and chalky, not very easy to drink actually, could not have more than one of these.

Overall - This seems somewhat of a mess to me. There are alot of flavors here, but they don't go very well together, very unbalanced, and this seems to get accentuated as it warms. Drinkability is pretty low due to the astringency and chalkiness. I will finish it, but I can't recommend this beer. Perhaps this is typical of an english ipa and I'm being overly critical, as others seem to enjoy this - but it is definitely not for me. (1,191 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -26.3%

Poor tasting IPA compared to what is available in the microbrew market. Lacks a citrusy hop character no resemblance of fruit, tarts or sweets. The bitterness makes me question the quality of hops used, it is overwhelmingly bitter and the IPA/hop bite is sharp and straight forward bitter. Recommend trying on tap but in bottle MUST be poured and still questionable as a craft beer. (382 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -25.5%

IPA's are my favorite style of beer..So I was expecting good things from Summits IPA. However, I was not impressed.

Poured into a Imperial Pint. Has great color,a deep orange in my light - looked very appealing. the head was about pencil thick, and left quickly. However, a small ammount of lacing did persist.

Smell - To be honest, Im much more used to intense IPA's so it seemed a little weak. The typical gregarious ammounts of hops bitterness, a slight citris. After about half of the beer was gone from my glass the smell seemed flat as there was little to no carbonation left.

Taste - Just not too much to this IPA; about average. Not very spicy, and could stand to be a little hoppier.

Impression... I like a lot of Summits beers, but this one wasnt too hight on my list - me being a stickler for good IPA's. However, it was no where near bad. Id say its an average IPA, but not very complex. (905 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Summit IPA is .well.. different as far as IPA's go. It smells mild.. not a lot of hoppieness..it is refreshing but is not in the same League as Top Notch IPA's. Not even close to Stone IPA... One of my favourites. I like it ok.. but it's just not an IPA I would spend money on...

~ Carry On, Citizens!!!~
sMC (311 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -25.2%

Available on tap at Cubby's. Summit IPA is not what I would consider an IPA. Starting with the color, it has more of a darker reddish-brown color that is much darker then typical IPA's. The smell, which should be bursting with hop goodness is lacking. And speaking of hops, they are very subtle with hints of earthy tones and slight citrus notes but all of it plays second fiddle to the malt. The malt is a little watery with hints of roasted and English flavoring. I don't know what the IBU's but it doesn't seem much. Personally I like IPA's with hops and Summit is lacking with this. (586 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark amber body with a bubbly, white head.

Smell: Basic pale malts with just a faint kiss of caramel. Tired citrus fruits languish in the nose.

Taste: Pale maltiness, lightly sweet. The hops, with a taste of aged citrus, never really BRING the bitter. A few more sips, hoping they'll pump it up, only to receive soem metallic hints. Very light bitterness on the all-too abrupt finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Slightly watery.

Drinkability: The IPA train is off the tracks!! Summit did a fine job derailing it. (561 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -24.1%

Brought home to Boise from understanding coworkers... poured into a shaker pint.

Thick lite tan head atop an amber/lite copper brew.

Smell is spicy hops.. but not enough to fight the big malts... uninspiring.

Good bitterness... but out of balance.. needs more body and sweetness.... metallic.. needs more hop flavor.. reminds me of a macro amber... exposed to too much air... oxidized finish.

This may not be a fair review, but I will try to make up... it needs more of everything! If it is going to be an English IPA, then hit me with the EKG's! But on the same note, it needs alot more body and complex malt notes... I've had this beer before a couple of times... picked it up in Nevada, and always figured the distance between brewery and destination had something to do with my not liking it... Sorry, but this is not the case. (836 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -23.5%

Mustyish malt nose with a slight clean (detergent) smell. Caramel color with lots of bubbles on the sides of the glass. Decent white head. The color of the brew is a little darker than most of the IPA's I've enjoyed in my day. The brew starts with some slight upfront bitterness, then some touches of sour grapefruit and a dry metalic tin foil finish. I found the finish very unappealing. Medium to light mouth. Not enough malt base to pull the brew.

Cheers to Budgood1 for the sample. (488 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -21.8%

Served on-draught into a pilsner glass in St. Paul, Minnesota. Reviewed from notes taken over Thanksgiving holiday. Not paired with food. Expectations were low given the style.

A: Pours a half finger head of fair cream, decent thickness, and okay retention. Colour is a transparent textbook copper.

Sm: Lightly toasted malt. A mild strength aroma.

T: Lightly toasted malt, cream, and barley. Light hops. It's surprisingly restrained for an IPA. A bit simple, but pleasant. Fairly balanced and decently built.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but a touch too thick. It suits the flavours generally.

Dr: Decently drinkable, but it's far from special. I wouldn't have it again. Even IPA fans might not like this too much as it isn't horribly hoppy.

2.8

---

11/29/13: Truncated notes from a bottle serving.

Hoppier than I remember it, with plenty of floral hop character and bitterness. Somewhat balanced by the pale malts, but the balance is far from ideal. Quite cohesive, but not gestalt. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

Smooth and wet. Overcarbonated, even a bit biting. Decent thickness and body.

Drinkable and enjoyable but far from world class. A decent little IPA from Summit that I see no need to buy again.

(1,239 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -21.8%

A- light golden copper color. Full two finger white head. Crystal clear with bubbly active carbonation.

S- slightly biscuity, some hop tones but not much going on.

T- malts dominate, english biscuit flavors, with some slight spicy bittering hop flavor. Very balanced if you like English ales with a slight hop kick this is your beer.

M- very impressive, full crisp fresh feel, not oily or thick. Resembles a German Octoberfest mouthfeel. This makes this beer very drinkable and enjoyable.

O- decent beer. If I want to back off the hop heavy ipa's, or am in the mood for something malty and fresh with an English backbone this is when I'd drink this beer, not a regular for me though. (690 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Poured a clear Bengal-orange with a 1 finger frothy dirty white head that was well lasting. A splotchy lacing, faint, broken, and fairly weak barely clings to the sides of the glass while a barely faint whisper of effervesce is dully noted.

S: soft fresh oranges and lemons. The aroma was faint to say the least, almost non-existent of any hoppiness. Their pale delivered a finer more detectable then this so called ipa. Without snorting any beer up my nose I sniffed and I sniffed but still failed to detect anything remotely resembling hops. Overall, disappointing, not impressed with the hops being MIA.

T: The flavor does deliver a slimmer of hope of what the nose failed to produce. Dry and floral grapefruit hops did exist, but only moderate in strength. While not initially appreciated a moderate display of dry lingering floral citrus notes does linger well after the swallow gently closing things out and perhaps saving this from being a bust. Light hints of dry buttered toast offers some sweetness which wasn't hard to detect with the light showing of hops here. Overall found the flavor to be rather bland and ordinary per style, lacked complexity and was average as an ipa.

M: light bodied, dry and lightly bittered with a gentle carbonation that fails to bring out the hoppy nature. Overall found it to be rather bland in the mouth, boring with its best aspect being the lingering dry hopping found on the swallow.

D: Drinkable for most, but fans of the style will find this to be rather mundane and disappointing with the exception of the dry lingering hop fade. A party ipa that lacks bite and I would recommend their pale over this. (1,660 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -19%

This is a beer that I picked up more because of the price tag more than anything else. I didn't really have anything to go by, but it was relatively cheap so I picked up a six pack. Not a horrible decision, but I feel that I need to stop doing this and just buck up for the better beers :)

Appearance: A nice copper color, I kind of liked it as it was a little darker than what I would have expected. Very little cloudiness to it and it also had a very little head, perhaps 1 finger that dwindled quickly. Left a very thin lacing here and there on the glass as it went down.

Smell: Not much to it really, a little sweet bit to it that I couldn't place until I tasted it. Typically I would expect/want something more bitter.

Taste: I was let down -- I figured the sweetness I was smelling was also in the taste and it reminded me of over-ripe fruit, but the most dominant part of the taste seemed metallic to me, like a penny in my mouth. Not digging it.

Mouthfeel: Kind of watery -- not much stick to it at all.

Drinkability: Not much going on with this beer and I can't imagine myself picking up anymore of it. Oh well. (1,127 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear amber color with a rocky ivory head. Carbonation cascades through the body of this brew.

Smell: Light floral hop aroma with some yeasty notes in the background. Nothing too exciting but interesting.

Taste: Bitter hops with some wheat bread mixed in. A pretty one dimensional beer. Just a touch of carmel mixed in and a little bit of citrus but it takes a few sips to pick that up.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied to light. A tight, dry finish.

Drinkability: I guess a good entry point for a "rookies primer on IPA's". Still, the hop bitterness definitely cuts down on the drinkability. You can do this without amping up the bitter so much. Don't think I'll be visiting this one again. (723 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured a clear pint, a reddish color, head quickly settled at medium carbonation about 1/2 inch high. Looked clean, appetizing with fresh carbonation

Given that many of the beers I've enjoyed lately were craft American IPAs, I've been spoiled by the over the top use of the freshest hops. But I barely noticed the hops in here as much as a barley and grain scent on top of malt. Not a bad smell, just not much to smell at all.

To me it tasted like a malted up pils or a weak amber. Malts up front, then a faint hop taste. Then a metallic aftertaste, tasted like the beer was infused with the flavor of the bottlecap.

A bit thin, carbonation added character, smooth.

For the mouthfeel and decent blend of toned down tastes, one could kill a six-pack with ease, but there is a lot more out there in the world of IPAs. Maybe a bad batch, I'll give another try sometime, but of the Summit products I've tried, this is my least favorite. (944 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -18.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. pours a brownish amber color with a single finger of light tan head that lasts for a couple minutes after a hard pour. moderate lacings.

aroma is of caramel malts, a bit of chocolate, and floral hops. a slightly salty base offsets the aroma, giving it a less than pleasant character.

taste is hoppy, with the same caramel malts mixed with a touch of chocolate. the salty character from the aroma is less pronounced, but still in the background. finishes with residual hops. the hops are present but not bitter.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a mildly texture from CO2 and the salty backbone, with a semi-dry finish.

drinkability is decent. this is a unique IPA, yes, but unique is not always good. the flavors here do not work to create a single composition, but rather leave the brew flabby and without a solid character. (861 characters)

Summit India Pale Ale from Summit Brewing Company