Summit Pilsener - Summit Brewing Company

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: garymuchow on 12-30-2001

This is the beer that helped me decide to learn more about beer. I bought a summer selection of Summit beers and liked this one better than the other three in the sampler. It is the first time a beer really struck me as, "Man this is good." After tasting this beer, I started asking my friends who either knew about or brewed their own beers to tell me the differences between the way different beers are brewed.

I may find other brewers and other beers that I enjoy more but this is the one that influenced me to learn more about beer. I have a loyalty to this style and this brewery.

I brew wine from scratch and from kits. I understand that brewing beer is different and more complicated. I am enjoying learning about both. (729 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +36.7%

Another in a line of stellar brews by Summit. Pours a nice golden hue and has a decent white head. It has a very malty aroma that is clean and very much Pilsener. The hops are hidden in the aroma, but definitely show themselves on the first sip, backing up a very heavy(for the style)body that is so malty that it is almost Marzen-like. This is a damn fine Pilsener and one that is worth a spot in anyone's refrigerator. (420 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +26.1%

Wonderful mixed aroma with qualities of malt behind the wonderful Saaz hops. Good frothy and creamy head that leaves rings as it is consummed. Yellow-gold color that is clear shows a steady stream of bubbles throughout. Mixed flavors with noticeable steady malt in front through the back, and finishes with a fairly long and dry finish that may be too much for some. Mouthfeel is just right in medium area. This is a really nice beer. Not too rich so could serve well as a session beer. (493 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +23.9%

Summit comes through again with this "Bohemian Style Pilsner". Its pours clear golden, with foamy head. The head settles quickly to almost nothing, and the carbonation isn't visible, but doesn't seem to detract from the mouthfeel.

I can describe the taste as fresh and light, with a hoppy tone. It's sweet and highly drinkable.
The dry, bittersweet finish makes you feel like you should have another. (404 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

A-Golden colored...clear...nice 1/2 inch white head.

S-Pilsner malt...Spicy saaz hops...more subtle and than strong aroma but nice.

T-Nice light but tasty maltiness and a grassy/herbal hoppiness..

M-Medium bodied...at points can seem a little watery but the impression doesn't last...perhaps more light medium bodied....more of a rounded, than crisp mouthfeel but I like it.

D-I'm having a hard time keeping this in my glass....bought a sixer tonight and 3 are gone while I write this....flavorful....drinkable....enjoyable...I think Summit is one of the most underrated breweries in the country. Sure there are some that are better but this group does not get enough credit...I enjoyed this. (696 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance is a brilliant pale gold with a long-lingering white head. Aroma has faint noble hops notes mixed in with some cracker hiding in there. Taste is a lovely dance between hop and pilsner malt but the finish is clean with a touch of carbonic bite on the tip of your tongue. Medium mouthfeel carries this beer and the clean finish leaves your thirsting for more. I could drink about 7 or 18 more of these. Yum! (416 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +18.3%

This beer is good, but it doesn't strike me as great, but I can't find anything wrong with it as far as the style goes, it's quite enjoyable.

Pours a clear yellow with a medium sized white creamy head that has great retention and lacing all the way down the glass. Beautiful indeed.

The smell is so soft and balanced with a soft hay aroma along with bright floral hops. And very mild fruity esthers.

The flavor mirrors the aroma to the t. With hay and bright earthy/floral hops.

Medium body with a very clean and crisp finish. Big yet creamy carbonation too.

A very sessionable beer indeed. (598 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass. pours a srystal clear straw color with two fingers of tight white head. looks just like a pilsener should.

aroma is malty, with a lightly sweet character and a mild floral base. very fresh in the nose. a hint of citrus and a touch of munich malts are present upon a bit of warming.

taste is lightly malty up front, with a floral hop character throughout the palate. lightly sweet overall, with a fresh profile and a finish of light floral hops and a touch of malt.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with soft CO2 and a clean finish, leaving the mouth slick and lightly coated.

drinkability is great. this is a solid pils with all the ingredients to make a great one. the hops are fresh, and the malts are not grainy or stale, which seems to be the case more often than not with these light lagers. cheers! (845 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Straw color, big sustained head, some lacing (more than I expected, in fact).

Smell and taste are similar. Floral, but not overpowering. A little bit of hops, malt, yeast.

Feels like a good pilsener. Nothing heavy, but a lot more going on than with an AAL. Good carbonation.

This is a great summer beer. I like Lagunitas PILS, and this beer is similar. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would drink it again. (405 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +15.6%

Picked up the autumn sampler...odd for a release of this season in the middle of July.

Poured from the brown twist off bottle into the glass. A white fizzy 2 inch head is formed. Settling to leave a generous cap. Lace of one mighty ring and a few legs.
Color is a darker golden, but completely transparent.

Aroma is very good for the style. Large amounts of cereal grains, a touch of sweetness and biscuits too with a grassy earth hop aroma. Most times this style does not deliver much for aroma too me. But this one however just keeps on coming, loved that.

Taste is filled with some of those grains, bordering husky but never really reaching a unnatractive flavor, not as sweet though in taste, with a bit of mineral water flavor. Plenty of hop delivered, earthy hay like and bittering very well. Pilsen malt is also detected and its wonderful to be able to taste anything for a pilsener. A style I have struggled to pull anything from in the taste department previously.
Bitters linger after the swallow, finshing dry.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light whith just a slight chewy hop feel.

Overall this is a fantastic representation fo the style. Consumed on a hot day, been wroking outside all day and needed somthing to freshen up with...well here it is. (1,264 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

I was actually quite impressed with this beer. I think when you take into account the style, there are very few in this category which come close to the richness of taste.
The mouthfeel was a bit light for my preferance, but certainly better than several of the other offerings.
The taste was very good, I think it deviated slightly from the style however and I couldn't give it a 5. It just didn't have the stale hop finish that I have come to know and love. (459 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Nice straw yellow clear pour with a nice rocky white head that stays.
Aroma is a little lacking, I understand there isn't much for the style, but I do detect some noble spicy hops as well as a touch of bready aromatic malts
Taste is great as this one truly did bring me back to Prague. Not the same beer but the flavors were a nice reminder. Bready malts mixed with a nice hop flavor without being too bitter.
Mouthfeel was nice as it was smooth, creamy and even a bit chewy for the style, I could sit down with a twelver of these any day~especially in the summer. (564 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Though I've lived in MN most my life, and have been well acquainted with Summit for that last decade, this is my first go at their pilsner. Not sure how long they've had this out, but it may be my new go-to light beer.

Into a pint glass, pours a light golden color with a small white head, not much lacing. The aroma has plenty of grains, some light citrus and grassy hops, pretty nice but not too strong. The taste is very nice, lots of grains and wheat, some nice grassy hops and light citrus, maybe a little coriander and bit of pepper. The mouth is medium, feels light and airy with good carbonation and a smooth mouthfeel. Very, very easy to drink, this case went by fast. Fairly simple, yet complex enough to still be interesting after you've had a few, and light enough so as not to weight one down. (807 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Clear golden yellow. looks like lots of carbonation (though doesn't taste like it). fizzy soda head

smells...leafy...bready? not sure how to describe, but the way a pils should.

decent lighter taste. nothing offensive. nothing great initially. minimal bitterness. then...subtle but excellent bready aftertaste is the highlight of this beer!

thin mouthfeel

while not overpowering in terms of flavor, Grand is extremely drinkable. It's just hard to go very long between drinks. Light on the tongue, easy on the stomach, and leaves that subtle doughy taste in your mouth that is just perfect. an outstanding session beer and a very good pilsner. (655 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours brilliant golden-straw in color, with a rocky white head of average duration. Noble hops, pale malt, and a bit of metallic tang on the nose. Sharp, sweet, and a bit tangy on the first sip, pale malts on the second. Mild hop bitterness lingers for a short while, but it's a very mild bitterness overall. The feel of this is light and very easy drinking, sessionable or "quaffable". There's a moment three quarters of the way through the palate where this verges on sweet dominating bitter, but it's about then that the nice dry finish kicks in and the overall impression is one of very good balance. I've had the Grand many times now and it's always impressed me more as a Czech pale lager than as a Czech/bohemian pilsener, and while I realize that's splitting some hairs, the American All-Malt Lager it's stylistically pegged at here seems overall favorable, that is, if all American all-malt lagers could strike the same balance that this one does. One of these days I'll make note of the characteristics on draft and re-review. This would be an excellent golf/camping/hiking beer if it were in a can . . . (1,114 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Bright and clear golden yellow with lots of bubbles and a huge four finger white head with great retention and lots of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Grains, caramel and pils malts with some earthy, grassy hops. Some hints of lemon linger around. A very grainy and grassy aroma overall.

Taste: A sweet taste of grains and malts up front is followed by a decent amount of earthy hops. Hops are grassy and herbal in character. Also some strong hints of lemon citrus. Good balance.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a moderate carbonation. Very crisp and smooth.

Overall: A very solid take on a Pilsener from Summit. Sweetness and hop bitterness is well balanced. (750 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Bottle says enjoy by 24 August 2011. I shall do my best.

Pours a very clear light orange color. One-finger head, not too dense, fades fairly quickly. Some bits of lace try to stick to the glass, and occasionally succeed.

Smell is... light! As expected, I suppose. Light grainy pilsnery malts, some robust spiciness back there with the hops. Like chili pepper. Intriguing.

Might tasty. Mostly I get hops, starting out grassy but coming through spicy and peppery. The spicy flavors and high carbonation combine really nicely to provide a tingly, stimulating sensation in the mouth. Finish is quick; like that, it's gone. I really like this.

Mouthfeel is great. Light-bodied; carbonation is high but right on. Finish is dry and very crisp.

I find this to be a really good pilsner. Great complexity in the flavor, while maintaining that refreshing crispness and dryness. Dang, this is good. Very refreshing, and ideal for the sweltering Minnesota summer. (956 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Bottle Inspection: Brown 12 oz. twisty with raised lettering and wheat shafts on the bottle. Label declares this to be a Bohemian style Pilsner. Almost missed the lasered "Enjoy by 120108" reviewed on 030408.

Aroma: Firm yeast notes like rising bread with a mineral water quality. Earthy and peppery Saaz hop notes as well, all classic style elements.

Appearance: Bright, almost thin straw glass shows plenty of active carbonation streams feeding a fluffy bright white head that held a good finger height and left sticky lacing.

Flavor: Fairly mild flavor. The yeasty note is there as well as a light lemon zest. Hops are very low level and aren't as peppery as I expected, almost more of a west coast hop profile with the citric element. A mineral aftertaste builds as I work my way down the glass.

Mouthfeel: Despite the high carbonation, this doesn't feel fizzy. Medium body and pretty dry in the finish.

Overall Impression: Pils aren't normally my cup of tea, but I like this one. Maybe because it's off style. Website lists Horizon, Vanguard, and Saaz hops. I'm thinking this is closer to a Classic American Pilsner given the hops and mineral quality. Still, a rock solid beer worth a taste. (1,202 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Gnomefest Leftovers

Appearance - Transparent golden color with about 2/3 of an inch of white head.

Smell - I love the scent of beer that reminds me of the brew my grandpa used to sip after a good meal served by grandma. This has the grain aroma that I love in a firm pilsener.

Taste - Grain and hops making a good tasting brew. This is what I think a pilsener should be. The only suggestion I have is even the hops and the grain flavors to allow the grain to shine through a bit more. The bitterness overwhelms the flavor just a bit.

Mouthfeel - Slightly coarse for pilsener but nothing I can't handle. The flavor is concentrated toward the front of my tongue.

~ I can certainly see myself bellying up in a tavern and putting a few Grands away. I'd too let my friends know they should give it a try. (805 characters)

Pours a rich golden hue, nice finger of foam on the top. It's not overly gassy, so the bubbles are steady but not overly plentiful. It has a nice fruity, almost wine-like aroma, somewhat flowery and quite agreeable. The taste is pretty full for a light colored beer, with plenty of malts on the front and back ends, with a mild hops bite through the middle. It has a pretty thick mouthfeel as well, as there is sufficient carbonation to give it a thick, expanding feel as you take a swig. Overall, this is a very good beer in the style, especially for an American take, and with warmer weather ahead, this will be a staple in my fridge this summer. (648 characters)

Sampled this evening on 4/26/15. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a handled-glass "CHEERS-BOSTON" mug.

This 'Czech Pilsener' style brew pours a golden-yellow in color with a good 2-finger foamy white head that settled down to a thin layer after a good 10 mins. Sheets of 'ring-like' lacing was seen when sipped. The aroma is of pale malts, yeast, and a light hint of wheat. The taste pretty much follows the nose. Crisp and clean and is tasty. Goes down easy with no harsh or bitterness for the finish. Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, this is a good brew. (608 characters)

Pours a golden yellow straw color with a nice white head.

Smell is earthy with grass notes and light malt aromas.

Taste is like the smell, nice and earthy with light malts. Quite a nice pilsener.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with medium carbonation, pretty good.

Good drinkability as well, a nice example of the style. (322 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Clear gold, nice sized head.

Smell: Grassy hops, not overly strong.

Taste: Starts with a moderate sweetness before finishing with grassy hops.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, good session beer.

I think this is the same beer as the old Summit Grand, at least I can't tell the difference between them. Nice grassy pilsner, and a good thirst quencher. (366 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

I'm not generally a big fan of lagers - especially light ones.

However, after taking home a six pack of this leftover from someone's wedding I have become a bit of a convert.

The taste is light and malty, just what I was looking for - occasionally the aftertaste is slightly unplesant, but I find that with all light lagers and this is not better/worse.

There is no aftersight to speak of, the bubbles just kida went away, even in a skinny pilsner glass that usually gives a nice aftersight to any beer.

The smell is very nice, almost citrusy, and I find myself sniffing this beer enough that my wife gives me funny looks.

Drinkability is great, I'll be having a lot of this on hot summer days. (709 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +10%

Pours an effervescent straw/bronze with 4+ fingers of eggshell white head. Very good head retention & good sticky lacing

S: Grassy & perfumy notes

T: Honey malt sweetness, a bit of grainyness, & lemon hops up front. Slight grassyness & more lemony hops as this warms. Finishes crisp, lemony with some biscutty notes

MF: Soft with medium body, perfect carbonation & very good balance

Drinks very easy, not the best example of the style out their, but no slouch either. Great bang for the buck (496 characters)

Summit Pilsener from Summit Brewing Company