Summit Pilsener - Summit Brewing Company

good

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pweis909 on 09-02-2007)
3.18/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a pale golden with a 1/2 inch white head that recedes quickly. The beer leaves some nice lacing. After a short time, carbonation bubbles diminish.

The aroma is mostly bready malt with the noble hops hiding in the background.

Taste is similar to the smell except the hops come out a little more.

The beer has a light body and nicely carbonated for the style.

The low ABV and light body helps drinkability but I would have liked more hops in this beer. Just bump it up a little bit and you would have a solid Pilsner, otherwise it is average at best.

morimech, Apr 04, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours 1 and a half fingers of creamy white head. Great retention leaving a lot of lace. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Zesty flavors with some lemon citrus. Grassy hops and a bit of skunk.

Taste: A little bit of skunk flavor again. Some bready/biscuity malts. Grassy herbal hops. Some lemon citrus.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

Overall, this beer would be a ton times better if it didn't have so much skunk flavor. It was fine otherwise. Very easy drinking on a hot summer day.

mothman, Jun 06, 2011
3.21/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - light, somewhat lackluster
S - light beer aroma.
T - standard pilsner. Serviceable.
M - clean...nothing exciting, but no complaints
O - at 4.5%, this is a good but not great session beer. I could have a few of these, but it wouldn't be the most exciting session.

davesterli, Nov 14, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a stubby brown bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Clear golden color with a nice white head that fades fast but leaves some lacing.

Smell: Grain and corn, with grass notes and light malt aromas.

Taste: Grainy and sweet with light malts. A fairly average Pils.

Mouth feel: Medium to light body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Probably one of my least favorite of the Summit line. It's not a bad beer at all, but it's pretty unremarkable for the Pils style. I like the local August Schell's Pils much better.

ChopperSmith, Jun 18, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Originally reviewed September 24, 2005. Poured from a bottle on the Beer Train. Clear deep golden, with white head. Distant malt aroma. Smooth. Even, yet slightly sour, over sumptuous wheat and malt. Not bad. Finishes a hint dry. Probably not bad for the style, but nothing to get overly excited about.

CharlesDarwin, Nov 27, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Slow pour left no head, there was some lacing after the first few sips. The color is a pure yellow wheat color. The smell reminded me of that too, like wheat fields in late summer/early fall. Nice and comforting. This is something my grandfather, a non experimenting guy, would've drank. It's not bad, it's just that it has a traditional pilsner taste to it....a "beer" taste if you will. There was some bitterness on the tongue, but nothing to write home about. It has a light mouthfeel which would would lead to pretty high drinkability, although after a couple I'd want something with more taste.

billyzoom666, Dec 24, 2009

ZPB, Aug 23, 2012

silverking, Sep 16, 2013

yokken, Jul 14, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

A-Pours a golden color with a two finger white head.

S-Smells of mild lemon hop notes with some grain and some light lime.

T-Light lemon lime with some graininess, and no signs of bitterness, with a slightly drying hop finish.

M-Light bodied with low carbonation for the style and a mildly creamy mouthfeel.

D-I'm noticing a trend with Summit's Lagers: they tend to be on the low end of the carbonation spectrum. Normally I don't find this to be a problem with beers in general (I actually prefer it most of the time), but with these lagers it comes across as a something I really miss. That coupled with the complete lack of bitterness for me make this beer a miss.

samie85, Sep 07, 2010

thebummedgardener, Jun 12, 2013

Kahlerbock, Aug 10, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer pours clear straw like a typical pilsner. Leaves little foam, no lacing. I rated "appearance" a bit low not because it looks bad, but because it looks boring.

Smells okay, typical of a pilsner.

Taste is a little richer than I would expect from a pilsner. I'm picking up a touch of pine hop, a touch of sweetness like maybe sugar, a touch of yeast like bread, and a bit of malt. Now, pilsners are not my favorite, but if I were stuck with one, I think this would be it so far... Haven't tried too many though.

Mouthfeel is a bit richer than I would expect too. A bit sparkley on the tongue, with a creaminess in the finish I didn't expect.

Finish leaves a bit of bitterness, but not too bad. There is a hop of some sort that cleans the pallette.

I'm not a pilsner fan, but of the few I have tried, this is the first that doesn't bore me to tears. I'm not going to buy myself more, but if somebody handed it to me, I'd accept.

karengarys, May 19, 2005

spycow, Nov 02, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

With all of the discussion about American Pilsners going on I had to stop and pick up something to quench my thirst, and maybe see if we're talking up our sleeves.

Summit and BA both call this a Czech Pils, so I'll rate it to that standard.

A -- Clear, straw to light gold color with a thick, dense white head that holds up well.

S -- Bready, yeasty malts up front. Vaguest of citrus hops trying to fight through. Mild DMS and light sulfur.

T -- Grainy to light citrus up front with some mild bitterness in the middle and finish. Some mild citrus in the finish. There is a light vegetal character in the aftertaste of this beer that I get in some light micro lagers. Not sure if it's a hop or yeast byproduct, but it makes for a less-than clean Pilsner.

M -- Body is light with a soft to crisp mouthfeel.

O -- I find this closer to a German Pils than Czech, though the hops are light. This is a highly refreshing and drinkable beer, but the lacking malt character and low hop character in the flavor, plus the off characters, keep my marks low.

steveh, Apr 18, 2012