Summit Pilsener - Summit Brewing Company

good

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pweis909 on 09-02-2007)
3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

a: pours a bright golden color with about about a quarter inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a little lacing, carbonation bubbles continue to rise to the surface throughout the beer
s: heavy aroma of grains, citrusy hops and a lot of grains crisp aroma
t: a lot of grain flavors, citrusy hops very refreshing
m: light bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation

overall, this was a very good brew but i dont think that im going to buy it again

happygnome, Mar 28, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Pours pale yellow in color. A hard pour gave a little more than half inch of head. Retention was average while lacing was minimal.

S - Bread is first on the nose but that gets followed quickly by the typical pilsener hops. There is also just a hint of spiciness.

T - Malt and yeast stand out in the flavor. They are followed by earthy hops and sharp spices. Flavor is lighter than expected.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation. Body was too light for my taste.

D - Drinkability is good. It does tend to disappear quick. Light body and low alcohol make it a brew that I could drink several of.

csmiley, Mar 16, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -13%

This beer pours a clear golden straw color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of a faint bready malt with an even fainter noble hop spiciness. The taste is of like the aroma. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Ovearll, this beer tastes a lot more like a macro lager than Czech Pinsener. I will not drink this again.

KarlHungus, Mar 14, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottle Inspection: Brown 12 oz. twisty with raised lettering and wheat shafts on the bottle. Label declares this to be a Bohemian style Pilsner. Almost missed the lasered "Enjoy by 120108" reviewed on 030408.

Aroma: Firm yeast notes like rising bread with a mineral water quality. Earthy and peppery Saaz hop notes as well, all classic style elements.

Appearance: Bright, almost thin straw glass shows plenty of active carbonation streams feeding a fluffy bright white head that held a good finger height and left sticky lacing.

Flavor: Fairly mild flavor. The yeasty note is there as well as a light lemon zest. Hops are very low level and aren't as peppery as I expected, almost more of a west coast hop profile with the citric element. A mineral aftertaste builds as I work my way down the glass.

Mouthfeel: Despite the high carbonation, this doesn't feel fizzy. Medium body and pretty dry in the finish.

Overall Impression: Pils aren't normally my cup of tea, but I like this one. Maybe because it's off style. Website lists Horizon, Vanguard, and Saaz hops. I'm thinking this is closer to a Classic American Pilsner given the hops and mineral quality. Still, a rock solid beer worth a taste.

HardTarget, Mar 05, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

When poured it is golden in color with a thick two to three finger white head. It almost looks like a typical pils, but something is different about this one. Right off the bat you can smell the grain coming through with little hints of hops and a little bit of fruit. In my first sip I caught the lemons and grains bursting through, but after a few more I picked up on a little bit of honey and hops. It is very crisp and refreshing on the palate. A good session beer, but a little to carbonated to drink too many.

ROMER79, Feb 21, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

12oz bottle served cold, right out of the fridge and poured into a Warsteiner Pilsner Glass

A -- Poured a very clear and very bright golden amber, slightly more amber tinted then your typical straw colored pilsner. Lots of carbonation visible on the pour with tons of bubble chains racing toward the surface rather quickly. The initial head was quite large, easily reaching a height of three inches or more. This hung around for a good few moments before finally settling down and relaxing o a good one inch high layer of white foam that was continuously refreshed by the carbonation streaming skyward.

S -- The aroma was your typical fare for the style. Somewhat light with loads of grain added in. This was first thing you noticed was a nice light scent of grain that was the predominant player here no matter how you looked at it. Once you got past that it was easy to pick up a nice hint of banana in there as well as the tiniest bit of fresh grass like hop aroma. Nothing really too strong, just a very light aroma, giving just a little ore depth and complexity.

T -- The flavor was again very typical for the style with no real surprises here. The first thing you noticed was the tight wheat and grain profile that was very well balance and very crisp and fresh. Sometimes you will find a Pilsner to get a tad musty, or maybe even bready in the flavor, however this was very crisp and had a nice balance to it. Up next were some more subtle fruity flavors, nice touch of banana in here to brighten it up a bit with something a bit tangy as well, maybe a hint of lemon, probably coriander but too light to really be able to make it out. Nice earthy grassy feel to it as well, especially in the finish, even giving it a bit of a dry finish, through crisp and refreshing would be more accurate.

M -- Very light bodied and highly carbonated, as you would expect given the style. This was really quite the light feel, with a very refreshing quality to it that I thought was very nice. Sometime you just really want a light bodied refreshing drink that's not over the top and this came through well here.

D -- Perfect. I could have had this one over and over again throughout the night. It was just the perfect balance of being light bodied with a very crisp, clean and refreshing taste and a not over the top or two malty of a flavor profile, just what I wanted at the time.

Overall pretty much your classic Americanized pilsner here, with the extra added hops and loads of carbonation. Not the best thing I have ever had but more then decent and I would have no issue at all in ordering up this one again, it was just a good solid call.

mikesgroove, Jan 27, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

I read that this is just the new name for the Summit Grand, but I don't believe it. The Grand, I remember as being non-representative of the Czech pilsner style; being both bland and tasting of adjuncts, with the only bitterness being my dissapointment.

This pilsner poured a crystal-clear straw color with an actively-bubbling, snow-white head. It had a dry, pleasing mouthfeel (if a bit over-carbonated); and was moderately bitter, balancing out a champagne-like sweetness. Grassy malt was present also, with a buttery edge to it.

A fine and enjoyable beer, though not in the category of Urquell, by my way of thinking/tasting.

hylton44, Jan 12, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +18.1%

I was actually quite impressed with this beer. I think when you take into account the style, there are very few in this category which come close to the richness of taste.
The mouthfeel was a bit light for my preferance, but certainly better than several of the other offerings.
The taste was very good, I think it deviated slightly from the style however and I couldn't give it a 5. It just didn't have the stale hop finish that I have come to know and love.

supercolter, Dec 25, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +25.1%

A-Golden colored...clear...nice 1/2 inch white head.

S-Pilsner malt...Spicy saaz hops...more subtle and than strong aroma but nice.

T-Nice light but tasty maltiness and a grassy/herbal hoppiness..

M-Medium bodied...at points can seem a little watery but the impression doesn't last...perhaps more light medium bodied....more of a rounded, than crisp mouthfeel but I like it.

D-I'm having a hard time keeping this in my glass....bought a sixer tonight and 3 are gone while I write this....flavorful....drinkable....enjoyable...I think Summit is one of the most underrated breweries in the country. Sure there are some that are better but this group does not get enough credit...I enjoyed this.

ZAP, Dec 01, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours an effervescent straw/bronze with 4+ fingers of eggshell white head. Very good head retention & good sticky lacing

S: Grassy & perfumy notes

T: Honey malt sweetness, a bit of grainyness, & lemon hops up front. Slight grassyness & more lemony hops as this warms. Finishes crisp, lemony with some biscutty notes

MF: Soft with medium body, perfect carbonation & very good balance

Drinks very easy, not the best example of the style out their, but no slouch either. Great bang for the buck

russpowell, Nov 30, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

I haven't been a big pilsner fan until recently, but I've been drinking this one for years. It used to just be called "Grand," but now they are calling it Summit Pilsner.

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle

Very beautiful straw gold color with faint orangish hues at times. Lively carbonation. Very sleek and inviting.

The aroma isn't very stong, but it has a distinct hop aroma, followed by an aroma of sweet grains. The taste is very nice for a pilsner. Nice hoppy bite initially, followed by a nice sweetness of the malts. Tastes a little grainy, but not in a bad way. I like my pilsners hoppy. This one only rates at a medium hoppiness to me. The mouthfeel is fitting for a pilsner. Crisp and light initially and finishes smooth. It would surely make a light beer drinker happy.

Overall I really enjoy this pilsner. It is very drinkable and would make a nice thirst quencher on a hot day. This would be a good cross-over beer for macro lager drinkers. I will definitely buy this one again.

brewdoc75, Nov 29, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance:
The beer pours crystal clear and golden in color. There's a respectable white head to the brew and although it displays some decent patchy lacing, the retention is poor.

Smell:
The nose is a little weak, and sadly reminiscent of a macro lager with just a little bit of corn like sweetness and a faint hint of hops. There is a little bit of toasty malt character that adds a little oomph to the scent.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer drinks very crisp and light, dare I say a little pale lager like. There's a nice little touch of caramel sweetness that pairs well with an otherwise bulk body of pale malt flavor. I would have liked a little bit more traditional Saaz character given that this is a pilsener but the hops aren't totally lost since they present a decent earthy character towards the finish.

Drinkability:
I could go for a bit more flavor but that really doesn't take away from the fact that this is one highly drinkable brew.

Grundle20, Nov 06, 2007

Gnomefest Leftovers

Appearance - Transparent golden color with about 2/3 of an inch of white head.

Smell - I love the scent of beer that reminds me of the brew my grandpa used to sip after a good meal served by grandma. This has the grain aroma that I love in a firm pilsener.

Taste - Grain and hops making a good tasting brew. This is what I think a pilsener should be. The only suggestion I have is even the hops and the grain flavors to allow the grain to shine through a bit more. The bitterness overwhelms the flavor just a bit.

Mouthfeel - Slightly coarse for pilsener but nothing I can't handle. The flavor is concentrated toward the front of my tongue.

~ I can certainly see myself bellying up in a tavern and putting a few Grands away. I'd too let my friends know they should give it a try.

cdkrenz, Sep 22, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks for the edit on the name change...Bohemian Pilsener.

It pours a nice pale gold, Good carbonation makes a fair head that does fade somewhat. I found no fizz to be had. Some/ little lace.

The aroma was grain-like and malt.

The taste carries that grain-like charactor with malty slight caramel sweethess. The hops not very bold do crisp the beer back up.

The mouth is left crisp with a slight metallic grain dryness.

A good drinker, hot day, with a burger or if your with the macro crowd, its good to pull out a stub-like bottle.

chilidog, Sep 15, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -0.3%

I can't be the first to review this, can I? Seems like a part of Summit's regular lineup, according to the Summit wesbiste, but I never saw this beer before. Found it on tap at the MN State Fair.

Pale, with dense white foam. Hoppy aroma. Crisp, dry taste, with bitter hoppy finish. Hopping seems appropriate to the style, but the genuine Czech versions have adistinctive maltiness that I just don't find in this one. Apparently this is not brewed with the traditional Moravian pilsner base malt. Better than I expected, not as good as I wanted.

EDIT: Was just informed that this is the same as Summit Grand. They just recently chanaged the name.

pweis909, Sep 02, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

I'm not generally a big fan of lagers - especially light ones.

However, after taking home a six pack of this leftover from someone's wedding I have become a bit of a convert.

The taste is light and malty, just what I was looking for - occasionally the aftertaste is slightly unplesant, but I find that with all light lagers and this is not better/worse.

There is no aftersight to speak of, the bubbles just kida went away, even in a skinny pilsner glass that usually gives a nice aftersight to any beer.

The smell is very nice, almost citrusy, and I find myself sniffing this beer enough that my wife gives me funny looks.

Drinkability is great, I'll be having a lot of this on hot summer days.

JugglerPeter, Jul 06, 2007

Bottle claims that this is a Bohemian style Pilsner. It pours a very fizzy yellow in color with a soap bubble looking head. Retention seems to be stable for the moment.

Nose: Not much in the way of aroma here. I smell a slightly grainy aroma, weak sweet pale malt aromas, and also some light hop aromas-sazz.

Tongue: Not much to taste in reality. Alright for what it is though. Unlike the pils it claims to be there is little hop flavor. Maybe a bit of grain oriented flavors.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Well its a fizzy yellow beer...extremely light in body. Alright for what it is. Easy to drink, but I won't be buying this again. Not something that is really all that great. Not bad, but nothing spectacular. I'm pretty neutral towards this one.

becktone, May 22, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Light clean straw color with a few meandering bubbles. Head doesn't offer much, just a small film on top.

S: Copper coins, corn pops and dry hay

T: First impression is how grainy this beer is. Next comes yellow corn and minor caramel. Finishes with mineral tastes and more grainy flavors.

M: Medium body, fuzzy (like most all the other summit beers)

D: Eh.

Westsidethreat, May 20, 2007

Well, being a pilsner, I didn't expect much as this is not one of my favorite styles. I've had great pilsners however, very dry and refereshing. This one just missed all the cues for me. However, it wasn't bad. It poured with some head that went quick and left a small fizzy carb. Had the smell of wheat, very small scent, other than a odd sweetness. Mouth was an average beer, pilsner, with very little bitterness. Taste was an average American attempt at this beer style, it was sweeter rather than dry, the lack of adjunct flavors was a plus and there was a lingering "stale" aftertaste, something with the light malt and water that made this plain and simple. Drinkability is, well, it's not. I got this in a sampler and would not get it again. Average pilsner, a style where you need to taste exceptional for me to like it, but there are worse choices out there.

Ricochet, Jan 21, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours brilliant golden-straw in color, with a rocky white head of average duration. Noble hops, pale malt, and a bit of metallic tang on the nose. Sharp, sweet, and a bit tangy on the first sip, pale malts on the second. Mild hop bitterness lingers for a short while, but it's a very mild bitterness overall. The feel of this is light and very easy drinking, sessionable or "quaffable". There's a moment three quarters of the way through the palate where this verges on sweet dominating bitter, but it's about then that the nice dry finish kicks in and the overall impression is one of very good balance. I've had the Grand many times now and it's always impressed me more as a Czech pale lager than as a Czech/bohemian pilsener, and while I realize that's splitting some hairs, the American All-Malt Lager it's stylistically pegged at here seems overall favorable, that is, if all American all-malt lagers could strike the same balance that this one does. One of these days I'll make note of the characteristics on draft and re-review. This would be an excellent golf/camping/hiking beer if it were in a can . . .

Chaz, Dec 13, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Originally reviewed September 24, 2005. Poured from a bottle on the Beer Train. Clear deep golden, with white head. Distant malt aroma. Smooth. Even, yet slightly sour, over sumptuous wheat and malt. Not bad. Finishes a hint dry. Probably not bad for the style, but nothing to get overly excited about.

CharlesDarwin, Nov 27, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Simple, but tasty beer. Tastes of biscuity malts with a kiss of hops. I see this is no longer listed as a czech or german pilsner, and I could go either way on weither it tastes more american or european. Hops are grasy, malts are grainy in a good way. Great lighter beer thats affordable, I usually go through a case over the summer.

tempest, Nov 26, 2006
3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Recently added to the tap list at Palmers. Palmer's is located in La Grange, IL and offers 38 beers on tap plus well over 300 bottles.

Served in a standard pint, the beer is bright, crystal clear light gold. There is a smallish white head and decent lacing.

The nose is of gentle malts, green apple, grass and a bit of perfume from the hops.

The taste is crisp and clean. Some flowery notes and more than a touch of sweetness. This is kind of a throwback beer and by that I mean it’s a straight-ahead beer that doesn’t try and overpower you. It is very easy to pair with food and went well with my Dagwood burger (Palmers has great bar food).

Well worth a try and a solid effort from the brewer.

Redrover, Sep 18, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

There is no head on this beer, it simply pours a nice golden color. Very pleasant taste, clean and malty. The aroma is all malt with a faint hops in the back ground. It has a full mouthfeel, mostly from the carbonation. I think this would be a great lawnmower beer, just a happy little refresher that'll keep you cool and quench your thirst on a summer day.

ccs, Aug 03, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

A—pours honey amber, clear and clean , with a fizzy ½ inch white head, fades away slower than it’s appearance led me to believe, produces spotty lacing as I drink

S—sweet malts and grains, nothing else really

T—sweet and grainy…tastes like Capn Crunch. Honestly, it does.

M—crisp and clean, light bodied, moderate carbonation

D—not a bad pilsner here, would work for the summer.

hanco005, Jun 30, 2006