Summit Hefe Weizen - Summit Brewing Company

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: ADR on 05-31-2002)
4.5/5  rDev +24%

Holy crap! This thing has the most uncontrollable head on any hefe I've ever tried! This moster head, once unleashed, rose up from the depths like a science project and tumbled over the sides of my half liter pint glass! This beast of a head is rocky and chunky, and it calms down to a quarter finger after several minutes and stays at that level. All of this insanity is suspended over a murky orange brew.

This sucker is redolent of dusty yeast, brown bananas, old fashioned bubblegum (the kind that comes individually wrapped in a twisted wrapper), and lots of doughy bread. There is a solid hop presence in addtion to a dank dusty smell (not a bad thing). The warmer it gets, the more I smell ripe bananas and bazooka joe....dang, that smells GOOD!

Tates doughy, yeasty, and fresh. This has a bit of that glazed donut flavor that I experience in most good hefe's. Banana bread is definitely there along with an extremely dry and dusty sensation that I believe is the yeast (maybe I'm wrong)? The finish is very dry and tart from the adequate amount of hops.

The more I sip the more I am reminded of banana skins. Yes, I have actually eaten the skin of a banana....I just wanted to see what it tasted like (I was a weird kid). Also, more spiced qualities come out as the temperature of the beer rises. This definitely gets better towards the end of the pint.

Mouthfeel is tingly with carbonation and this seems to mask the heavier "slick and slimy" qualities that be present in a hefe. IMO this is the best hefe that I've tried so far....it's quite deep and comlpex, but not overly yeasty and doughy like the more traditional Bavarian hefe's which are a little too sweet and slimy for my taste.

This is damn good stuff. This will be a summer sessioner for sure!

4.5/5  rDev +24%

12 oz. twist-off capped bottle, poured into weizen glass:

Pours clouded yellow with a white creamy head that thins and stays. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of banana/clove with some floral notes. Smells like an authentic Bavarian HW!

The taste is of sweet banana with spicy clove balancing it out. Not very complex, but very delicious, and flavors hang on long through the aftertaste. The banana/clove character is bery bold.

It has a creamy, effervescent (though could be a touch more so to improve it even more), light body.

One of the best American interpretations of the style I've had, IMO. (Even with low abv, which I didn't realise until seeing it here after reviewing on notes.) Glad to see that it follows the outline of an authentic HW, rather than an American Pale Wheat Ale laballed as such. Very banana-y with a nice clove balance. Very well-done! A truly refreshing, tasty brew!

4.43/5  rDev +22%

Had this beer at the MSP airport during a layover. I tried Summit's Red Ale, Lager and this beer - by far this was the best. I shouldn't have tried it last because I would have ordered more before my plane departed.

Great clean flavor and very refreshing. I would absolutely buy this if it was available in my area.

4.43/5  rDev +22%

The beer has a hazy golden appearance with a big fat white head. It dissipates quickly, however it still laces nicely with what is left. It has a very nice aroma that displays most of your typical weizen qualities, with vanilla and clove being the strongest. Beautiful spiciness to the taste of this beer. And almost some citrus. Maybe a little. Very nice carbonation. This beer goes down the hatch very easily. One of my summer fall backs. Nicely done hefe weizen here.

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%

This is a re-review of this beer for me. Funny thing I don't remember having tried it before, and my review doesn't seem to be consistent with this particular batch (which is an amazing rendition of the hefe style).

The beer pours into my Ayinger weizen glass to a very light pale yellow color, only slightly hazy. The carbonation is minimal, and can't sustain the already thin white head.

The nose is heavy of banana and clove along with a spicy hint of wheat. If you can manage to let this beer warm up a bit before quaffing, it really brings out the aromas and flavors.

The taste has a bit of a bite to it from the wheat followed by a nice banana and clove. It's a bit sweet and light with only a mild hop at the end.

The mouthfeel is very light and refreshing. This is one of the most drinkable hefes I've had.

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have tried several products by Summit, and there has been something in it's taste that does not seem right. The Hefe Weizen was the most noticeable. It was a very metallic taste throughout, which does not add at all to my enjoyment of this stuff.

Update 7-6-2004 I do not know what I was thinking all of those months ago. I sat down with a tall mug of this Hefe at Majors in Bloomington, and enjoyed everybanana tinged scent. I was so utterly wrong it makes me want to turn in my ID card (If I had one). I am ashamed of my former review, I have found one of my new favorite summer beers.

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

Don't underestimate Summit, especially not this beer. Judging by the cost of this brew, I didn't think I would get much flavor, but I was wrong.

The Hefe Weizen was terrific. It pours yellowy-orange, with a white head and average cloudiness for a wheat beer. Some chunky sediment at the bottom of the bottle, so be sure to swirl it around before you pour that last 1/3.
This light and refreshing wheat had hints of citrus (lemon, bordering fruity) with an amazing aroma.

Carbonation and foamy head were present for most of the consumtion. High marks for aroma, price, and drinkability on a hot day.

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark yellow color and a nice head that is present from start to finish and is highly carbonated with a large amounts a bubbles. Has a pleasant smell of wheat an barley malts. Mouthfeel is pretty carbonated but pleasant also. I don't care for wheat beers but with ones like these I think I can learn to like them. Summit has done it again. This is my favorite wheat beer so far. I'm surprise that Summit beers aren't more popular. Of the four beers of theirs I've had, they're all quality brews. Thumbs up!

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance is good, decent 2 finger head, no real lacing, pale yellow in color...
Smell- is spicy with a bit citrus fruit tones and slightly yeasty
Taste is again quite spicy a bit of malt to finish
Mouthfeel- is good still a bit bubbly but heavy enough to slide back easily
Drinkability- not too filing sips pretty quick

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a weissen glass

A—pours bruised banana yellow with some hazy clouds that are frozen in the lquid, ¾ inch fizzy white head with some yellow tints in it, collapses down rather quickly, lacing is sparse

S—banana, citrus, some floral notes, spicy, mildly sweet and very fragrant

T—banana, wheat, an assortment of spices, a touch of vanilla, very good

M—light and refreshing, but a little slippery, light/medium bodied, mild carbonation

D—very much so. This is the summer Hefe Weizen that I have been looking for.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

A: I wouldn't measure this head is fingers, I'd do it in miles. poured 12 oz into a 22 oz hefe glass and couldn't fit it all. The foam is white and creamy looking, beautiful. The beer itself though is a little too clear in some parts. Instead of really dissipating through the beer, the yeast is hanging in arms and wisps.

S: A very rich banana/clove mix, just about perfect. No hops, no nothing. Not even that yeasty smell you get on some hefes. It's a rich, creamy smell, if that makes sense, something I would expect from a banana milk shake or something. YUM.

T: Less perfect. Still a good banana/clove mix, but I get some off flavors as well, not many, but some. Maybe something buttery? Still no hops, but no malt really either. Not even a biscuity or wheaty one. This beer is really dominated by the yeast.

M: On the thin side of creamy, but still feels smooth as if it was creamy, there is no crisp bite. I wish there was. Seems to be almost a winter hefe...

D:Great, for a hefe this is very light on carbonation, something that can easily turn me off for drinkability. A good flavor a good everything.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

This pours a fairly cloudy yellow/burnt orange. The head is a solid one inch at first and then quickly subsides to a ring. The aroma is mostly yeast, spice, clove, and a touch of banana. The flavors reveal a crisp lemon citrus twang along with an awesome spicy character. It's definitely different than a genuine German hefe, but it's an awesome beer anyways. Super refreshing and tasty, this is a solid offering from Summit. Try it on tap if possible. I thought the draught version was worlds better than the bottle. And that's saying a lot because the bottle is great stuff.

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer has a small head but it stays for good and gives off an amazing odor of sourdough bread. What an awesome thing for beer to smell like. The taste is super-tangy and has a strange mix of ester and phenol flavors that are kind of recognizable but come together in such a way that its far from "classic" hefewiezen taste. Banana stands out the most but I wouldn't say it dominates. This is definately different and probably the best domestically- produced hefe I've had yet. I drank it in like 15 minutes.

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

And finishing my all Hefe Weekend is this surprisingly great little brew...

Looks pretty MOR for a Hefe. Cloudy gold with a nice head.

Smells great! A Wheat malt odor that's just strong enough mixed with a subdued hints of spices and banana. It's an olfactory rainbow that is the best of every Wheat beer scent you've ever smelled rolled into one.

Tastes great, too. Wheat malt upfront along with clove, more malt in the back with the fruit again, banana and a general spice. Very nice.

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Summit Hefe Weizen
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, pondered 10/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass.

Poured a cloudy medium straw yellow with a small white fizzy quickly diminishing head.

Smelt of moderate bananas, cloves, tutti frutti bubble gum and raw dough.

Flavor was upfront moderate sweet bananas, floweriness and light raw bitter dough followed by a sweet uncooked banana bread yeastiness with an average light sweet finish. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied, slightly creamy and caressing, softly carbonated and light astringency.

Overall, a good showcase of yeast in a hefe weizen, with only a poor showing in appearance due to low carbonation and disappointing head.

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Cloudy golden color, hazier up at the top, with an impressive head, 2" thick, white as a cloud and fluffy as one, too, with a slow, lacey crumble. (Perhaps the Aventinus glass I poured it into aided in this.)
Aroma is overall soft and subdued, but full of weizen character, spikey with citrus, spicy, but mellow and dry.
Rich, tangy, grainy, mouthfeel at first, with a tasty, rewarding finish. Body is light/medium, and smooth. Lacking complexity, but high on the drinkability, with just enough flavor.
A brew I return to every summer, over and over.

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

Brewed with 2-row Harrington and wheat malts. Hopped with Tettenanger.

OG=11.2 plato, 20 IBU, 4.2% ABV, 4.2 lovibond.

Pours out to a cloudy pale golden, forming a tall soapy white head with superior retention and lacing. Carbonation is medium-strong, forming modest spiral streamers. Beautiful looking beer. Aroma of true bavarian wheat strain with requisite cloves and green bananas, nicely balanced with a aromatic touch of hops, crisp water, and a clean ferment. Wonderful aroma. Mouthfeel is prickly and tart with a medium-light body. Taste begins with cleanly fermented green bananas (as opposed to over-ripe bananas) and cloves with a nice balance between the two, followed by a well-balanced spicy bitterness throughout, a nice touch of grain husk and lemon pith, and a clean finish with lingering bitterness. Only the subtlest note of metal is appreciable as far as off-flavors are concerned. Very mild cereal sweetness caps it off. A tad more bitterness than expected for the style, but I like it! The finish has a slight ruddiness to it, but doesn't detract from it's enjoyment.

A wonderful brew. Among the finest of the American Hefe-Weizen's I've had to date. True to style and well-brewed. Recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

The beer was a nice cloudy golden color with a short-lived white head. The aroma was wheaty sweet with spiced banana. The taste was more of the same with a little more citrus than the aroma. The mouthfeel was good with high carbonation, yet it was smooth. It is very highly drinkable and quite refreshing. One of the better American Hefes

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap at the MSP airport at Ike's.

The beer pours a hazy honey gold color with pretty good head retenation and lacing. On the nose there is considerable spice, with noticeable clove, nutmeg and a touch of banana. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, and for such a low abv. beer, I'm impressed by the amount of flavor in this beer. Mouthfeel is fairly light, but still substantial. Drinkability is exceptional.

What a treat to be able to find a beer this tasty at the airport.

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

Bright yellow with a huge foamy head. Big wheat aroma. Bananas and spice in the aroma too. Sugary sweet flavor with banana. There are some vanilla flavor too. More flavorful than most hefes. Quite crisp and very refreshing. This is a very good hefe weizen, and a beer I will likely come back to.

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

This is the beer you bring with to the BBQ or the picnic...

Pours a hazy, crisp yellow in the glass. Great foam head on this beer. Light carbonation. Lacing traces my beer from start to finish.

Citrus aromas blast my nostrils into submission. Banana, orange and malt assault my senses. Finishes with that great wheat character.

Great summer beer and one I will return more frequently.

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Not as cloudy as I expected and my initial reaction was that is lager-like in colour but it is deeper in the orange tones than a lager. Poured into a beer mug of the correct size and I the head was so frothy that I couldn't get the whole beer in the glass. The height of the head disappeared quickly, leaving behind slight lacing and a small head through the entire drink.

The beer had the expected nose of fruityness with slight cloves. I did get the aroma of bananas which is different than I have had in the past.

The beer is best described as crisp. The flavour profile is decently deep, with citrus and cloves dominating the palate. Its carbonation was not excessive, and left little bitterness on the palate. If this were summer, I could sit in the sun all day and drink these. In my opinion, a very nice domestic representation of a hefeweizen.

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Had a bottle at a recent Twins game.

Served in a plastic cup, but oh well. Cloudy golden yellow with a thinner light colored head that is creamy.

Wheaty with some banana and slight clove smell. Light and fresh.

Nice wheaty malt with a moderate banana taste with a hint of clove coming in at the end. Very enjoyable.

Lighter bodied, smooth and clean.

Drinks terrifically. I will revisit this one throughout the summer for sure. Solid example for the style.

4.05/5  rDev +11.6%

Served chilled in a pint glass. 12 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow with a goodly sized head (about 1/3" tall at max). Not much in the way of retention or lacing for a hefe.

Smell: Nice powerful clove/pepper scent with a hint of lemony citrus. No real banana smells. This could easily be mistaken for a wit.

Taste: Great initial clovey/peppery spice flavor, then a nice splash of lemony citrus. Very mild banana flavors on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Amazingly light body, like a good hefe should have.

Drinkability: Interesting mix of wit and hefe characteristics. Of course, but these two are kissing cousins anyways. I can see some beer knurds getting their furbelows in a twist over the "mislabel" but a rose by any other name... I should be so lucky as to have Summit be my local brewery.

Summit Hefe Weizen from Summit Brewing Company