Summit Hefe Weizen - Summit Brewing Company

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ADR on 05-31-2002

4.34/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark yellow color and a nice head that is present from start to finish and is highly carbonated with a large amounts a bubbles. Has a pleasant smell of wheat an barley malts. Mouthfeel is pretty carbonated but pleasant also. I don't care for wheat beers but with ones like these I think I can learn to like them. Summit has done it again. This is my favorite wheat beer so far. I'm surprise that Summit beers aren't more popular. Of the four beers of theirs I've had, they're all quality brews. Thumbs up!

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

This is a re-review of this beer for me. Funny thing I don't remember having tried it before, and my review doesn't seem to be consistent with this particular batch (which is an amazing rendition of the hefe style).

The beer pours into my Ayinger weizen glass to a very light pale yellow color, only slightly hazy. The carbonation is minimal, and can't sustain the already thin white head.

The nose is heavy of banana and clove along with a spicy hint of wheat. If you can manage to let this beer warm up a bit before quaffing, it really brings out the aromas and flavors.

The taste has a bit of a bite to it from the wheat followed by a nice banana and clove. It's a bit sweet and light with only a mild hop at the end.

The mouthfeel is very light and refreshing. This is one of the most drinkable hefes I've had.

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

Had this beer at the MSP airport during a layover. I tried Summit's Red Ale, Lager and this beer - by far this was the best. I shouldn't have tried it last because I would have ordered more before my plane departed.

Great clean flavor and very refreshing. I would absolutely buy this if it was available in my area.

4.38/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have tried several products by Summit, and there has been something in it's taste that does not seem right. The Hefe Weizen was the most noticeable. It was a very metallic taste throughout, which does not add at all to my enjoyment of this stuff.

Update 7-6-2004 I do not know what I was thinking all of those months ago. I sat down with a tall mug of this Hefe at Majors in Bloomington, and enjoyed everybanana tinged scent. I was so utterly wrong it makes me want to turn in my ID card (If I had one). I am ashamed of my former review, I have found one of my new favorite summer beers.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

Don't underestimate Summit, especially not this beer. Judging by the cost of this brew, I didn't think I would get much flavor, but I was wrong.

The Hefe Weizen was terrific. It pours yellowy-orange, with a white head and average cloudiness for a wheat beer. Some chunky sediment at the bottom of the bottle, so be sure to swirl it around before you pour that last 1/3.
This light and refreshing wheat had hints of citrus (lemon, bordering fruity) with an amazing aroma.

Carbonation and foamy head were present for most of the consumtion. High marks for aroma, price, and drinkability on a hot day.

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

12 oz. twist-off capped bottle, poured into weizen glass:

Pours clouded yellow with a white creamy head that thins and stays. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of banana/clove with some floral notes. Smells like an authentic Bavarian HW!

The taste is of sweet banana with spicy clove balancing it out. Not very complex, but very delicious, and flavors hang on long through the aftertaste. The banana/clove character is bery bold.

It has a creamy, effervescent (though could be a touch more so to improve it even more), light body.

One of the best American interpretations of the style I've had, IMO. (Even with low abv, which I didn't realise until seeing it here after reviewing on notes.) Glad to see that it follows the outline of an authentic HW, rather than an American Pale Wheat Ale laballed as such. Very banana-y with a nice clove balance. Very well-done! A truly refreshing, tasty brew!

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

The beer has a hazy golden appearance with a big fat white head. It dissipates quickly, however it still laces nicely with what is left. It has a very nice aroma that displays most of your typical weizen qualities, with vanilla and clove being the strongest. Beautiful spiciness to the taste of this beer. And almost some citrus. Maybe a little. Very nice carbonation. This beer goes down the hatch very easily. One of my summer fall backs. Nicely done hefe weizen here.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Holy crap! This thing has the most uncontrollable head on any hefe I've ever tried! This moster head, once unleashed, rose up from the depths like a science project and tumbled over the sides of my half liter pint glass! This beast of a head is rocky and chunky, and it calms down to a quarter finger after several minutes and stays at that level. All of this insanity is suspended over a murky orange brew.

This sucker is redolent of dusty yeast, brown bananas, old fashioned bubblegum (the kind that comes individually wrapped in a twisted wrapper), and lots of doughy bread. There is a solid hop presence in addtion to a dank dusty smell (not a bad thing). The warmer it gets, the more I smell ripe bananas and bazooka joe....dang, that smells GOOD!

Tates doughy, yeasty, and fresh. This has a bit of that glazed donut flavor that I experience in most good hefe's. Banana bread is definitely there along with an extremely dry and dusty sensation that I believe is the yeast (maybe I'm wrong)? The finish is very dry and tart from the adequate amount of hops.

The more I sip the more I am reminded of banana skins. Yes, I have actually eaten the skin of a banana....I just wanted to see what it tasted like (I was a weird kid). Also, more spiced qualities come out as the temperature of the beer rises. This definitely gets better towards the end of the pint.

Mouthfeel is tingly with carbonation and this seems to mask the heavier "slick and slimy" qualities that be present in a hefe. IMO this is the best hefe that I've tried so far....it's quite deep and comlpex, but not overly yeasty and doughy like the more traditional Bavarian hefe's which are a little too sweet and slimy for my taste.

This is damn good stuff. This will be a summer sessioner for sure!

Summit Hefe Weizen from Summit Brewing Company