Summit Horizon Red Ale - Summit Brewing Company

Summit Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Replaced by Horizon Red IPA.

(Beer added by: Gump on 04-20-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next › last »
3.73/5  rDev 0%

pours out a clear amber and bronze colour with a thin but tight light tan head. plenty of lace. looks nice. nose is about the hops..some citrus and earthy pine resin is balanced nicely with a bit of burnt sugar maltiness. taste is a earthy and dirty mix of raw brown sugar leaning maltiness and a rather mixed hoppiness that range from herbal to sprucy to a citric bitterness in the end. interesting. it does taste good. the problem i feel is the although it has an average enough mouthfeel, it drinks rather thinly and has a shaky feeling body to it. i get weak and watery when soft and velvety would have really made this an outstanding offering. drinkability is good and i would be interested to try this on tap. a nice local selection to pair with some barbecue or pizza. i think this fits in nicely with the others in the summit lineup.

3.43/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Three Squares in Maple Grove, MN. Appeared a clear red with short head. I was looking forward to trying this beer, but came away from my pint glass a bit disappointed. Basically, while there is a nice clean/biting citrus hop flavor, it's too weak and there's almost no malt to speak of. It drank to thin for the strength and the bitterness levels we're only on par with a respectable APA.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Pours a 1 finger off white head. Fades down rather quickly living a thin layer. Leaves some thin lace rings. Color is a very clear copper amber.

Aroma: Extremely hoppy. Floral hops. Kind of has a brown sugar smell to it. Very citrusy (grapefruit mainly). The aroma really reminds me of a IPA.

Taste: Wow Summit did something amazing here. A super hopped up red beer. Floral hops hit the palate very hard at the first sip. Grapefruit citrus. Slight alcohol. Earthy/grassy hops as well.

Mouthfeel: Is very bitter. Goes down and leaves the mouth full of hops. Medium bodied. Carbonation is on as well.

Overall, I was not expecting this, but damn it was great. This beer surpassed my expectations by far. I will definitely be picking up more of this. I highly recommend this one.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

It looks the part of an amber ale, but tries to compromise between a hoppy amber and a malty amber and I think the best description is a muddy amber. The flavors and aromas just don't seem to resonate for me. Not bad; just not great.

A= not the reddest of reds, but an amber color that convinces you it is properly categorized. Transparent, w/ white-tan head that does not persist, but foam laces glass.

S= Some citrus aroma, some malt, but mostly earthy notes. And, disturbingly, an element of the aroma reminds me of fish oil. OK: The glass must have been dirty. Aroma score is adjusted according to other bottles.

Taste-mostly bitter, not overly so, but not balanced by the malt sweetness I was looking for. Ultimately seems like a compromisse between malt and hops that, instead of feeling balances, leaves me feeling short changed on both counts. EDIT: Falling short may be harsh. The more recent bottle hints at sweetness, but it competes with hop crispness.

M- Seems right; D-Sure, once I stopped getting, it's reasonably drinkable. Reminds me in some ways of an Anchor Steam.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

This beer pours a clear ruby red color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is remarkably malty. I detect some grapefruit and pine, but for the most part caramel and toffee dominate the nose. The taste is more balanced than the aroma. The malt and hops are very well interlaces with a lot of pine and grapefruit mingling with a more than solid malt bill. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a good beer from Summit. I would like to see a little more hop presence in the aroma, but it is still a good beer nonetheless. I will certainly drink this again.

4.18/5  rDev +12.1%

A- Pours a transparent dark red, lots of carbonation, but not much head (under an inch). The color is very nice.

S- Smells of hops, fruitiness and alcohol.

T- Starting taste is full of hops, but finishes very balanced, smooth. Nice.

M- Feels smooth and foamy in my mouth. Floats around my mouth effortlessly.

D- Suprisingly very easy to drink. Thought I would be overwhelmed with hops, but not so. Very balanced and smooth, refreshing beer.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

alot of the hype that i heard about this beer and furious was about true
a-great looking beer this beer just looks tasky
s-the hops are very permanent here wow this is going to taste intense
t-very good balance with malt and hops great combination
m-this is very easy to drink at 5.7
d-the easiest ive had in a ong time way to easy to drink great flovor smell and appearence all around good jobb summit

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Horizon pours a beautiful copper color, with a nice off-white, albeit somewhat short-lived head. Nice hoppy aroma, reminiscent of Surly Furious, but not as strong.
Taste had a good bitterness, but lost some of the freshness present in the aroma. Horizon lacks the vegetal overtones of Furious. This difference is much more pronounced in the taste than in the smell.
Overall a drinkable beer, but I would have liked a bit more freshness to the hops. Then again, maybe I've just been spoiled by Surly.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Starts with a very fresh hop aroma, that's reminiscent of their EPA, but has more depth, including a touch of sweet malt background. Nice flowery parts too.
Very attractive amber of reds and browns. Very clear. Somewhat short-lived head of initial size and settles to a flat cap, but throughout leaves a rather heavy lacing with impressive stamina.
This beers holds bitterness, but it's interesting how it varies with almost every sip. Sometimes it's quite prominent and other sips it's in the background. What an adventure! Solid malt background with taste of caramel at times. Green grassy hop flavors. Finish can be astringent at it's worse, flavored bitterness at other times. Lightly dry and fairly long.
Nicely carbonated with very fine bubbles that are soft on the palate. Smooth with a moderately light body.
This is good. Drinks well. Definitely hop forward and at times it could be too much (for some or many). Yet it is flavorful and reasonably complex. I will purchase this again.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

Had a couple of these at my brothers after I had a couple other beers already and was relatively unimpressed....seems fine but nothing that jumped out at me....today I am reviewing this with a clean palate and it does impress me. I know there had been pre-release talk of it being similar to Furious and to be honest it has some of the same flavor and aroma but on a slightly smaller scale...my notes from the fresh palate tasting are as follows.

A-Nice burnt orange color....1/8 inch head that slowly fades.

S-Nice inviting aroma of juicy hops...citrus (tangerines, oranges), pine, and also some earthy/weedy notes....really pretty nice smell to this...

T-Very nice hop forward red ale flavor....good dose of hop flavor with only mild bitterness on the finish....subtle but flavorful caramel malt backing and then a great fresh hop flavor of citrus, cannabis, and pine....I really like how this tastes.

M-Body is medium at best but definitely not too thin....about the perfect weight for this beer...easy drinking hopped up red ale with a lot of flavor.

D-I like this...I know everyone is saying this isn't a Furious clone and this and that but even without having heard any of that talk I would really compare this to a smaller furious...a more drinkable furious in some respects for me...a tremendous addition to the Minnesota beer scene. Summit has a winner here..

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Upon first getting my grubby hands on this beer I wasn't sure what to expect. Summit has always made good beer, but not great beer. With some negative reviews on here at first I lowered my expectations slightly.

Pouring this beer in a glass gave over an inch of head with good retention and lace around the edge. The smell is of mainly hops, but not overwhelmingly so, perfect for a session beer.

It does appear red in color, but more of a golden red.

The taste was very delightful, more hoppy than your typical Summit, more so than their IPA, but still a great balance of flavor Summit is known for.

This beer surpassed my expectations, and for the price if you enjoy red ales (around 7.99 or less for a sixer) you cannot go wrong.

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Summit Horizon Red Ale. Not really red, more of an amber with red highlights. I poured it hard and got a nice one inch head that retained well. Lots of sticky lace coated the glass as I drank the beer down. Smells pretty good. Lots of grassy, citrus hops with a touch of pine and flowers. Its dry hopped with Cascades, but it doesnt make your eyes pop out when you crack the bottle like some other locally made beers. Lots of hops in the flavour. A touch of citrus fruit and some pine with an earthy undercurrant. Has a slight mineral flavour that is present in may other Summit beers, probably the St Paul city water, but who knows. Very clean malts. Finish is bone dry and bitter with that ever present Summit mineral flavour. This beer is really dry, like west coast dry. Takes some getting used to, but I like it. Medium carbonation with a very light body. The more bottles of this beer I consume, the more I enjoy it. Easy drinkin and delicous. Great stuff.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a clear, reddish amber color with one inch of white head that had good retention. Just a little spotty lacing is left on the glass. Big nose full of hops. Pine, citrus, and what other reviewers have noticed, ash. The flavor is mostly hops as well. Pine and citrus flavors mostly. Bitterness is moderate. Dry overall with no sweetness from the malt. A bit one dimensional but it still tastes good. The body seems a little thin but has a nice texture and carbonation. A good red ale and one I would definately drink again especially at Summit prices. The lower ABV also helps drinkability.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

New summit was calling my name from inside the cooler at the store today. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Not much to get excited about so far. Light maroon in color w/ a bone white head. Not much retention but some lacing. No haze or cloudinesss.

S- Really unimpressed by the way the beer smells, I think the EPA has a better smell than this one. And the fact that summit advertises dry-hopping so much, it disappoints when it doesn't meet the expectations. But the hops are there, along with a weird malt sweet smell that I don't really care for.

T- Pretty good taste for the red ale style. I'm glad the hop profile isn't much more than it is. The beer has a really smooth balance to it.

M- A bit to thin for my tastes but that maybe to style. The carbonation is nice and refreshing.

D- Very drinkable but not one of my favorites. Worth a try though, I think I'll give it another shot on tap.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Bottle poured into my "Summit, My Life is Beer" pint glass.
Ugly looking beer, clear copper/red with very little head (I actually poured the second one trying to create head, still only one finger), but the head leave a decent trace on the glass.
Aroma is nice, I do get the ash (pine ash), as well as some nice lemon/orange citrus, not much malt in the nose, but that is ok.
Taste is mostly hops up front, but the ash goes away and it becomes more spicy and citrus. There is a decent malt coming through mostly base malt, but there is a touch (just a small touch) of caramel sweetness.
Mouthfeel is thin, but I think for the amount of hops without a buttload of specialty grains this should be expected. Thin may be the wrong word, dry is more like it and I like it.
Overall, I think this is a very good beer that will be very tasty on a hot summer day.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Clear reddish-brown with thin head, some lacing on glass.

Smell: Citrus and ash, slight pine and malt.

Taste: Expected malts for a Red Ale upfront, but quickly overtaken by bitterness. Bitter aftertaste as well. The hop flavor is somewhat of a surprise, as it reminds me of ash. I detected that in the smell, but didn't expect to taste it. Never would have thought I would like an ash taste, but I do. Maybe this is from the Horizon hops, which I know very little about.

Feel: Lighter than I expected, but considering the low carbonation and smooth body, it all works. Almost reminds me of a Bitter in terms of feel.

Drinkability: Very easy drinking ale, I would choose this over the ESB, EPA or IPA. Still prefer the Porter as my favorite year-round bottled beer by Summit.

I am discouraged by some of the mixed comments and reviews for this. I think people became way too hyped up based on some early ignorant Furious comparisons. Hopefully, in time, the overall opinion will turn more positive.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

this beer pours a nice amber color with a good head that dissipates faster then i like and then leaves a 1/8 inch ring till the end.the smell is good i smell the hops and malt and fruits all faint but again its just good/ok...the taste is a decent hop forward amber backed up with a malt sweetness but with a bitter finish that lingers..this is a good well made beer i was just expecting more from all the hype..yes its drinkable yes its good but it just did not hit the spot for me as a wow amber they could have done so much more think troegs nugget nectar this amber/red fell short of my expectations .. i predict that this beer will not be the big seller that summit wanted..i will say summit is a quality brewery that put out quality beers.. one more note do not serve/drink this ale cold let it warm

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Clear crimson/amber color... adequate froth atop, soon gone, though.

Fresh, grassy aroma, lightly fruity, not too tart, not too sweet...

Taste: big hops, lingering some, laying a bit on the palate, hanging in there,... and then, softly fading back.
Light caramel malt body... very drinkable, sessionable, a nice turnaround for those looking for something new from Summit.
While it ups the hops, it doesn't quite do enough for me...and lacks in the body. This is being written on my second pint, though, and I'm liking it better than I did with the first.
I still feel it could, should be bigger in body, a little heavier would be nice. But, then, I have to keep remembering that I'm not their target audience, and how much my taste has evolved.
Beyond what Summit wants to make, apparently.

Again, a good drinking beer, nothing wrong with it at all, just falls a bit short from what I look for these days.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

A- Deep copper brown, 2 finger fluffy head. Good lacing down the whole glass.

S- Hoppy, slight malt, burnt cigarette ash coming through too (not good).

T- Deep roasted malt, strong hop presence, a little tobacco. Ashy, bitter aftertaste that lingers well after. Lacks in any real depth and character for me.

M- Light to medium bodied, pretty smooth, not much carbonation going on.

D- Very drinkable, decent session beer.

I really had high hopes for this and was let down. Nothing that really makes it stand out from the crowd. I'll stick to Summit's IPA or ESB over this.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Just picked up today at Heritage. I paid around $7 for the sixer.

Poured from a brown twist off stuby bottle into a pub glass.
The beer is a nice redish coper, transparent with plenty of carbonation rise. A 1'' foamy white head, slowly receeds leaving a good webbing of sticky lace. Retention is also good with a quarter inch cap hanging on.

A very earthy spiced hop aroma with similarity to onions. Smells similar to slipknot ipa.
Aromatic hops, with a touch of sweet malty aromas and a slight bit of lemon zest, something ashy.

The taste up front is a very well blended brew, hops and malt with a bready yeast flavor as well.
Upfront abundant carbonation is present, tickling the tounge and prividing some creamy mouthfeel. Once the carbonation drops out its becomes increasingly thin, a bit of a tacky stickyness there too.
Hops are generous here with plenty of pine and onion like spicieness. The stweet flavors have draopedd out around midway and hops devour the remaining flavors. Finishing clean and bitter with a crispness provided by carbonation.

An excellent brew. I had my doubts with some of the things I'd been reading here and hearing from others.
The appearnace and aroma some have reported may be due to a side pour at the bar with the beer being served too cold. This is just right out of the bottle, semi-rigerously poured by me and served at 45 degrees.

I predict this sixer will not last the night in my fridge.

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Just released, on tap in the backyard at Sweeny's.

Arrived to my table looking very flat. No head and filled to the rim.
Mostly clear, reddish brown.
The hops smell brilliantly fresh.
Lacks body and mouthfeel. No lacing.
Flavors are grainy, with hints of caramel sweetness. The hops are the highlight of this ale.

I look forward to trying this again in bottle. I hope to see more carbonation.

« first ‹ prev | 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next › last »